PDA

View Full Version : Divine Ranks

Kizara
2008-05-03, 05:35 AM
So, my DM wants the BBEG to be Divine Rank 0-1. Also, he hinted that my character might get similar power at some point in the campaign. Obviously, this is a very high-powered campaign.

So, the information in my outdated Deities and Demigods is missing some fairly important bits (like ability score adjustments), although it has tons of cool stuff regardless. Also, some of the divine abilities seem pretty tame compared even to high-level character abilities.

Does anyone have an expanded section on the Divine Ranks part (like erratta) or know of a more updated book?

Any other helpful info or suggestions on how to make this work are requested and appreciated.
If it is relivant, my character is a gestalt (bunch of crazy melee mutliclassing)//cleric 10/contemplative 1 currently with DDM (Quicken).

bosssmiley
2008-05-03, 05:57 AM
The "Deities and Demigods" divine rules are pretty much b0rked to the point of incoherence. You might want to look at the DiceFreaks versions (http://dicefreaks.forumz.cc/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19) instead.

hamishspence
2008-05-03, 06:01 AM
Or the Epic Destiny article on WOTC: Demigod. Might be more fun than using divine ranks. Can be gotten by linking to it from the 4th ed forum: classes, or from EN World.

namo
2008-05-03, 06:10 AM
The Divine Rules are also available in the online SRD (if there was any errata, it probably got integrated there), but the advice of checking out dicefreaks' version is sound.

Kizara
2008-05-03, 03:29 PM
Thank you for the link. Although I don't find their variation to be much different, just updated to 3.5 and somewhat more clearly and concisely written. All in all though, pretty helpful.

Zerzix
2008-05-04, 08:44 AM
I am facing a similar problem, my DM has us making a 30th lvl gest PC. I figured I'd try and be sneaky and add a divine rank and just make up a God, but I can't figure how that would work into the CR scheme. Was going to make a fighter 30//monk - divine rank - any suggestions how many ranks of the 30 divine rank 0 or 1 would cost?

TheCountAlucard
2008-05-04, 10:45 AM
I am facing a similar problem, my DM has us making a 30th lvl gest PC. I figured I'd try and be sneaky and add a divine rank and just make up a God, but I can't figure how that would work into the CR scheme. Was going to make a fighter 30//monk - divine rank - any suggestions how many ranks of the 30 divine rank 0 or 1 would cost?

And that's the problem; divine ranks don't work like that. Assigning divinity to something is strictly up to the DM; there is no being "sneaky" about it.

You could ask, but I think that probably defeats the purpose of what you're trying to do.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-04, 11:00 AM
A Dragon X / Full BAB Y / Dragon Ascendant 12 gets DvR 0, (where X+Y=30), and an Illithid Savant can technically eat the brain of an abomination to gain its DvR.

Zerzix
2008-05-04, 11:47 PM
sorry, i am a noob. whats a BAB? and any other suggestions to how mayn levels i should sacrific for the divine rank 1? 5? 10? 15? In the epic lvl handbook - the paragon is very powerful and is 12-15 lvl adjustment....so dine rank 1 more? less? what would you DM's out there except?

Kizara
2008-05-05, 12:14 AM
sorry, i am a noob. whats a BAB? and any other suggestions to how mayn levels i should sacrific for the divine rank 1? 5? 10? 15? In the epic lvl handbook - the paragon is very powerful and is 12-15 lvl adjustment....so dine rank 1 more? less? what would you DM's out there except?

1) Try to post with a bit more attention to your grammar, that is painful and irritating to read.

2) BAB is Base Attack Bonus. If you honestly don't understand how that works, doing a 30th level campaign is a catastrophically bad idea.

3) Divine Rank 6 is a lesser Diety, like Vecna. 11 is an intermediate deity, like Ehlonna. 16 is a greater diety, like Corellon. These are not level adjustment choices, they are divinity.

That being said, Divine Rank 0 could be given a LA score. I would estimate about 6.

Divine Rank 1 can't really, but if I'd have to I'd give it a 20 LA.

Zerzix
2008-05-05, 07:34 AM
1) Sorry - that was written and posted at a very late hour and I suck at typing and have to look at my fingers, lol.

2) I know how base attack bonus works, I just wasn't hip to phrasing it as BAB, but now am smacking myself in the head for not seeing it.

3) Thank you so much! I really was trying to pin down a good estimation of Divine rank to LA. Just as long as I can justify it, my DM will most likely allow it. (I will prob make a second PC back-up just in case though)

Zerzix
2008-05-06, 11:30 PM
Just curious, what Book is Dragon Ascendant in?

mostlyharmful
2008-05-07, 01:58 AM
Just curious, what Book is Dragon Ascendant in?

Draconomicon (no I can't spell it, no I don't care:smalltongue:)

CASTLEMIKE
2008-05-07, 10:24 AM
One of the old Dragon magazines said the standard divine array is 35, 28, 25, 24, 24, 24 and add +1 for every 4 levels a diety has and +1 for every point of divine rank.

The DR0 Einherjer template for the Norse heroes is a nice stepping stone.

Zerzix
2008-05-09, 06:49 PM
But again I hit a dead end with the Einherjer template, even with the 3.5 d & demigod book update on WoTC - it still does not give a LA. SO...I sit in frustration.

Tequila Sunrise
2008-05-09, 07:05 PM
So, my DM wants the BBEG to be Divine Rank 0-1. Also, he hinted that my character might get similar power at some point in the campaign. Obviously, this is a very high-powered campaign.

If you check out the second link in my sig you'll find my own Epic Level Handbook which contains my own rendition of "deities defined." I don't see any good reason to have a completely new and unbalanced ranking system for deities when we have a perfectly good one already--levels. So according to The Path to Divinity variant found in my ELH, deities are simply epic level characters with an extra Divine Power chosen at each epic level. I define 21st level as the first "quasi/hero/demi-deity" level and 31st level as the turning point level of a true deity, but the rate of Divine Power gain can easily be adjusted to suit other deific standards.

And as an added bonus, a lot of the Divine Powers help close the power gap between magical and non-magical characters. :smallwink:

TS

Kizara
2008-05-09, 07:18 PM
If you check out the second link in my sig you'll find my own Epic Level Handbook which contains my own rendition of "deities defined." I don't see any good reason to have a completely new and unbalanced ranking system for deities when we have a perfectly good one already--levels. So according to The Path to Divinity variant found in my ELH, deities are simply epic level characters with an extra Divine Power chosen at each epic level. I define 21st level as the first "quasi/hero/demi-deity" level and 31st level as the turning point level of a true deity, but the rate of Divine Power gain can easily be adjusted to suit other deific standards.

And as an added bonus, a lot of the Divine Powers help close the power gap between magical and non-magical characters. :smallwink:

TS

That's a nice body of work you got there, I intend to look through it and mine it for ideas.

Would you care for a copy of my Tome of House Rules v1.56? At 43 pages, its a decent contribution as well. :)

Tequila Sunrise
2008-05-09, 07:25 PM
Would you care for a copy of my Tome of House Rules v1.56? At 43 pages, its a decent contribution as well. :)
I'd love a copy of my own! I've peeked at the links in your sig before but the message board format is somewhat distracting.

TS

JaxGaret
2008-05-10, 01:30 AM
The benefits for being DvR 0 have been calculated (by myself and others) to be worth approximately LA +7, using the standard 3e LA calculation guidelines.

If you want me to break it down for you, let me know.

Agamid
2008-05-10, 04:51 AM
when the last election was on our DM promised to give us all a divine level if the Greens Party won :P