PDA

View Full Version : Occular Split (Cheese?)

shadow_archmagi
2008-05-03, 07:32 AM
So... Ocular spell lets you shoot spells as ray beams from your eyes.

Split lets you fire an additional ray.

Does this mean one can Split ocular spells, making Split into a cheaper version of Twin?

Swooper
2008-05-03, 07:50 AM
Where is Ocular Spell from? I'm not familiar with it.

shadow_archmagi
2008-05-03, 07:51 AM
Where is Ocular Spell from? I'm not familiar with it.

Lords of Madness, I believe.

Kurald Galain
2008-05-03, 08:18 AM
Yes, you can do splitted twinned repeating ocular ray spells, assuming you have enough arcane thesis, divine metamagic, or incantatrix levels to pull it off.

And yes, that is cheese, but it only gets really cheesy if you first polymorph into a beholder...

shadow_archmagi
2008-05-03, 08:35 AM
Yes, you can do splitted twinned repeating ocular ray spells, assuming you have enough arcane thesis, divine metamagic, or incantatrix levels to pull it off.

And yes, that is cheese, but it only gets really cheesy if you first polymorph into a beholder...

Extra eyes doesn't matter. Good to hear that thats legal though, as thats exactly the build I was going for. A regular human who doesn't know he's a caster due to always casting either silenced stilled spells, or ocular spells. He thinks he's a cleric and his god (The god of eyes) loves him.

Jack_Simth
2008-05-03, 08:52 AM

Yes - you're Split, Twinned, Repeating Ocular Rays, followed up by a Quickened version makes for what's pretty much an instant kill vs. anything subject to it if you use Enervation. Oh, and don't forget the metamagic rod of Maximize Spell.

shadow_archmagi
2008-05-03, 09:03 AM
Yes - you're Split, Twinned, Repeating Ocular Rays, followed up by a Quickened version makes for what's pretty much an instant kill vs. anything subject to it if you use Enervation. Oh, and don't forget the metamagic rod of Maximize Spell.

Ironically, only a monk could survive, due to their high touch AC.

Jack_Simth
2008-05-03, 09:22 AM
Ironically, only a monk could survive, due to their high touch AC.
Or, you know, a Cleric who cast Death Ward beforehand.

Draz74
2008-05-03, 10:27 AM
Or a dragon who casts Scintillating Scales to beat the Monk in high Touch AC. Or anyone else who optimizes their Touch AC hard-core. Or any Undead or Construct.

Chronos
2008-05-03, 10:27 AM
Or a wizard who cast Ray Deflection beforehand, or Veil of Undeath.

And just to be clear, combining Split Ray with Ocular Spell isn't cheesy. What's cheesy is whatever feat, prestige class, or other ability you've got that lets you pile that much metamagic on a spell of useful level.

shadow_archmagi
2008-05-03, 10:34 AM
Or a wizard who cast Ray Deflection beforehand, or Veil of Undeath.

And just to be clear, combining Split Ray with Ocular Spell isn't cheesy. What's cheesy is whatever feat, prestige class, or other ability you've got that lets you pile that much metamagic on a spell of useful level.

Split Occular is a +4, if I recall. Thats 4d4 negative levels as an eigth level spell. Or sixth, if you Thesis it. Either way, 4-16 negative levels as a full round action isn't bad.