PDA

View Full Version : Crash course in d20/D&D 3.5 for a friend who played 2nd edition?

Karsa Andshort
2008-05-03, 11:11 AM
I'm about to start running a game or two of D&D 3.5 for some friends, and one is someone who has prior experience with second edition and none with 3.5. I think he will pick up on the rules for 3.5 quite readily and not have a problem with them, but I would appreciate any tips in how to get whatever the most important differences between the two rulesets are across to him. I have little knowledge of how second edition works or is put together.

The differences of which I am vaguely aware are:

Ability scores are treated differently
Proficiencies work a bit differently (and there are no nonweapon proficiencies)
Multiclassing works differently
Just about everything is settled by a d20 in 3.5
Rounds are 6 seconds long (instead of a minute?)
Actions in combat are more discrete with special rules for each of them (tripping, disarming, sundering, and grappling being of concern)
The tactics of spellcasting have changed as casters' spells have become more plentiful, easier to use, and more powerful, with fewer drawbacks
Feats are new and exciting

Is there anything big I'm missing? Anyone have any advice on this?

bosssmiley
2008-05-03, 11:18 AM
If the guy already knows 2nd Ed. you might just be best handing him a PHB and letting him read for a few minutes.

Skills & Feats aside the differences between the two systems aren't all that intimidating ("Back in my day we didn't have none of this la-di-da Skills and Feats malarky! We only had Nonweapon Proficiencies, stale ones at that. And we was grateful for 'em!"). IIRC there are even example 1st level builds (handy for the newb & confused) in the PHB classes section.

Best way to teach an old schooler D&D3.5? Play a classic 'kobolds, giant spiders, ghouls' quickie dungeon bash. Introduce aspects of the new rules only as and when needed. He'll have the hang of it in no time. :smallamused:

Karsa Andshort
2008-05-03, 11:28 AM
I suppose I should add that I lent out my PHB to a friend who has no D&D experience, so the best I have been able to do is point the guy who played some 2nd edition to the online SRD. I've been planning a bit of a quick dungeon smash as a way of acquainting him with the rules, so I'm glad that the rule differences probably won't be a huge issue.

DMfromTheAbyss
2008-05-03, 12:20 PM
Well I was this guy once... gave myself the crash course when i found out I was RUNNING a game of it for a con...

Letting him just read the book is a good start.

To speed things along tell him Feats are the new Weapon Proficiencies... they do more stuff now... Skills are the new non-weapon proficiencies, they scale more now.

Thaco is BAB and now goes UP from 10... not down... there that whole multiple attacks thing which will need to be explained in depth. (cause to a 2nd ed perspective it makes no sense).

And most importantly you'll probably wanna warn him that this is the game system written by lawyers... so it's a little more complex...

If he's played combat and tactics rules he should have no problems with all the 5 ft step stuff... otherwise this will also need to be addresed.

sonofzeal
2008-05-03, 12:23 PM
I'd emphasise the Multiclassing thing. The ability to mix-and-match classes at will is one of the biggest advantages of 3.5 over 2nd and 4th. Show him a Barbarian1/Fighter2/Ranger4 specialized for ranged combat and mobility, or a Fighter2/Rogue5 with a Spiked Chain and Improved Trip, Sneak Attacking them on the followthrough and when they stand.

Matthew
2008-05-03, 02:36 PM
If he's played combat and tactics rules he should have no problems with all the 5 ft step stuff... otherwise this will also need to be addresed.

Yep. If he's familiar with Player's Option - Combat and Tactics, then he's already pretty familiar with D20 combat.

To be honest, he doesn't really need to know the rules to the game if you already know them. A few pointers on how to use his Class Abilities, Skills and Feats should be sufficient. Of course, Spell Casting is more complex.

Artanis
2008-05-03, 03:34 PM
Send him to the SRD to poke around the more technical sections. That oughtta help a bit.

wumpus
2008-05-03, 11:36 PM
You also better let him peek at the bit in the DMG about the speed of PC leveling. If 2nd didn't change too drastically from 1e it is a huge deal and needs to be taken into acount. (You really don't want to know how many orcs you have to kill to level the first time, and by the way, it should be three times that by an obscure rule in 1e).