PDA

View Full Version : Creating An Invincible Adversary to Put Up Against The PCs.

Leliel
2008-05-03, 05:09 PM
Well, as it says on the tin, I want a Pyramid Head-Juggernaut-Matrix Agent type villain on one of my BBEG's team-You know, the kind of baddie who would be probably be able to withstand a nuke while being barely scratched, able to walk through walls while not being ethereal, and utterly determined to complete his mission. Not so much an obstacle for the PCs, but rather something to run away from really fast (emphasis on really; unlike Pyramid Head, I plan on him being rather fast as well).

The problem is, I want stats that are something other than "higher than yours", so I can codify exactly what his abilites are, and how he uses them. Of course, with stats, there is always the possibility that he will lose, which kind of diminishes the impact.

So, could you suggest ideas on how to stat him with him still being invincible?

Few things:

1) I want him to be a humanoid, albeit in a battle suit. I also want him to be relatively intelligent, so that I have an excuse to use his powers to attack the PCs weaknesses.

2) Yes, they eventually will defeat him, but they're going to have to solve a puzzle during the fight if they want to.

SurlySeraph
2008-05-03, 05:14 PM
Give him Regeneration 20/some rare material, so that they can knock him unconscious but he won't stay unconscious for long.

Signmaker
2008-05-03, 05:17 PM
Hrm.

First, load up on Con. Seeing how much of a tank this guy is, you want it to be ridiculously high. This also gives you the benefit of a high Fort save, which aids in being 'invincible'.

Second, create an ability, that only he has. This ability states that you use his Con, rather than Dex, for Reflex saves, due to his form (I'm the Juggernaut, *****!).

Third, create a way for Mr. Tank to survive will saves, easily. Nothing bites more than failing a Will save for an unstoppable BBEG. Possibly link his ability survive will saves to his armor, a la Juggernaut's helmet.

Tack on Improved Evasion, Mettle, and SR. DR should not be an issue, because his HP will already be impressive, and you'll likely give him a nice set of AC bonuses.

As to the rest of the stats, totally up to you.

Kurald Galain
2008-05-03, 05:24 PM
Third, create a way for Mr. Tank to survive will saves, easily.

There's a feat that lets you apply your con modifier to will saves...

Squash Monster
2008-05-03, 05:32 PM
Popular ways to become nigh-invincible:

Ring of Evasion + Starmantle Cloak

Become a shambling mound and zap yourself with electricity

Half-dragon troll or similar nonsense

My recommendation would be to use the shambling mound trick. Two builds:

Druid/Wizard/Arcane Hierophant with Assume Supernatural Ability and a monkey familiar/companion that can UMD a wand that casts the electric version of Acid Splash. Badguy changes forms, monkey rides on his back and starts providing the juice.

Or, since you said battlesuit, how about we just take that up a notch to a full-blown powersuit? Make an artificer with clockwork armor (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070212a) that has some low-level electricity damage over time spell as a continuous effect on the wearer. He casts Shapechange or Polymorph+Assume Supernatural Ability on himself before loading into the suit to become a shambling mound. (He's a badguy, just say the suit is big and mis-shapen. Badguys don't need to worry about the rules for what kind of equipment shambling mounds can wear).

Kizara
2008-05-03, 05:34 PM
Sentient Golem, complete with total magic immunity.

-Give him a very large amount of HD, like 30.
-Make him Huge.
-Give him Freedom , True Seeing and Foresight as continuous effects.
-Give him a very high Str and Cha score, such as 40.
-Have him have some kind of aura of power, that allows him to apply his Cha modifier to basically everything (AC, to-hit, Saves, Damage, HP, etc)
-If that isn't enough, give him a +5 luck bonus to AC, attacks, damage, saves and checks as well.
-Give him a very high amount of natural armor, like 25.
-Give him Uncanny Dodge (can't be flanked).
-Regen 30/Epic and Adamantine
-DR 15/Epic and Adamantine
-Fast Healing 15
-If you want, also give him fly 200ft (perfect).

Offense:
Give him a gargantuan 2HDed weapon that you like the flavor of, such as a maul, heavy flail or greatsword. Now, have it be extremely nasty but undisarmable or sunderable (its literally part of him). Some ideas are the negative level effect of the Life-Stealer axe, keen, bashing and some kind of brutal spell effect on a crit (or nat 20) such as disintergrate, slay living, prismatic spray, etc.

For feats, include Power attack, cleave, great cleave, improved bull rush, improved sunder, combat brute, shock trooper, elusive target, awesome blow, dire charge, and other nice epic feats. Remember, 30 HD is alot of feats. :)

Some ideas for SLAs:

Greater Dispel Magic, Dimension Door, Discern Location, Disintegrate, Prismatic Sphere, Gate, Cometfall (its so damn cool), Repair Critical Damage, Etheral Jaunt, Stinking Cloud, Wall of Force, Cloudkill, Prismatic Spray.

And that's primarily using Core + ELH. If you want to include the cheap spells in the SpC, then you have alot more options. :)

Kurald Galain
2008-05-03, 05:42 PM
Popular ways to become nigh-invincible:

Play a Black Pudding, preferably a fiendish one... :smallbiggrin:

Pronounceable
2008-05-03, 06:15 PM
Give him arbitrarily high stats and be done with it. AC 70, all saves at +45, DR 30 would be enough.

Dr Bwaa
2008-05-03, 06:38 PM
Regeneration as the Tarrasque. Stat his other abilities if you want to know what he technically can do. If you're going to make him invincible, like cnsvnc said, just make him invincible and be done with it.

Behold_the_Void
2008-05-03, 07:02 PM
Just stat him how you want him to be when he's defeatable. Then, take what you want from there (like his attacks, his move speed, whatever) and keep it for the indestructable form, everything other stat becomes "yes."

Jacob Orlove
2008-05-03, 07:05 PM
Don't forget to include a special ability to not fail on a roll of 1. Otherwise, those saves and attacks will bottom out at a 5% chance of failure, and that's simply unacceptable.

Make sure to have high enough numbers that you'd otherwise succeed on a 1, though.

Like others said, DR and/or regeneration and/or Starmantle Cloak type effects are good. Feel free to make the character immune to physical damage.

100% miss chance is good too, as is energy immunity (note: not immunity to particular types of energy, but rather immunity to everything with an energy type).

You'll want constant Mind Blank and Freedom of Movement effects, and probably also True Seeing (although you may or may not want to improve the range). Blindsight is good too.

Lots of skills. Sense Motive, Spot, Listen, and Spellcraft are particularly important, to avoid surprises from the PCs.

You'll need all kinds of movement modes: at minimum, high land speed, high fly speed, the ability to go ethereal, the ability to teleport/DDoor, some form of planar travel (if the PCs are capable of same), and possibly stuff like Earth Glide, a swim speed, etc.

Finally, you'll need a way to ignore all the tricky spells PCs can throw down. SR (or better yet, spell immunity), works, but leaves you vulnerable to no-SR spells (although you'll be immune to many if you've got everything else on this list). Some form of counterspelling might actually be decent here, if you give them the ability to counter spells as an Immediate action (and probably give them a bunch of Swift actions/turn).

Note that you don't need any particularly effective or deadly attacks. I recommend a lot of annoying status conditions (slowed, poisons, ability damage, etc), but nothing that'll outright kill the PCs, even with several hits. You can take your time killing them in a stand up fight anyway. That gives them time to figure out what doesn't work, and then to run away.

Rutee
2008-05-03, 07:09 PM
On the note of Regeneration:

Regeneration 20 (Plot) is sufficient. It's the exact same thing as saying Regeneration 20 (UBer Rare Material), since you'll ban the material being obtained until you're ready for it anyway, It also means you don't have to ban something the players might actually want.

FinalJustice
2008-05-03, 07:16 PM
Avoid pumping his equips too much, your PCs will loot it.

What about a Crusader/Cleric/Ruby Knight Vindicator? Lots of actions, spellcasting and ToB goodness. Pump up some templates like Half Dragon AND Half Fiend (There's a spell for this), preferrably, on top of some high HD low CR creature, maybe some kind of giant or whatever.

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-03, 07:46 PM
Give him continuous timeless body (the 9th level psionic power) as an Ex ability. Then add in any other abilities that you want. He can take a direct attack from the combined power of every deity in the greyhawk Parthenon and not even blink.

Eurus
2008-05-03, 07:57 PM
Just on the off chance they actually kill the dang thing before you're ready, it might be prudent to add in a Contingent Teleportation for him to pop off and lick his wounds. Or, better yet, Death Throes like a Balor and keep a few dozen clones around to replace him. If the 'power suit' is irreplaceable, some kind of contingent Teleport Any Object to send it back to his lair to be patched up, or even upgraded. XD I'm willing to bet that it will definitely deter them from trying to smash him more than once, when they see him marching toward them again, even stronger than before, after having mauled their party last time and finally being consumed in a giant freaking explosion.

Actually, Death Throes is a good idea anyway, if you want to make sure they don't get any of that equipment...

The Sandman
2008-05-03, 08:03 PM
Why not actually make him a tarrasque, somehow polymorphed into a human form and then awakened? And have the reason he works for the BBEG be simple gratitude for giving him both sentience and a way to control the hunger.

Curmudgeon
2008-05-03, 08:04 PM
Ring of Evasion + Starmantle Cloak Don't do this. It's stinky limburger, and your players will want the same for themselves.

Become a shambling mound and zap yourself with electricity This is perfectly legal, and comes out of the core books. I like it, because the 1d4 points of temporary CON gain is independent of the amount of electricity damage dealt.

Druid/Wizard/Arcane Hierophant with Assume Supernatural Ability and a monkey familiar/companion that can UMD a wand that casts the electric version of Acid Splash. That's Electric Jolt; see page 78 of Spell Compendium.

The only problem here is that this form is s l o w : 20' movement. You'll want to use most of the tricks to increase speed.

As Signmakerens already posted, you'll want mettle to use your augmented Fortitude save. I also like the Clerical Pride domain, so that you can reroll any 1 on a failed save, once. With über-CON you should only fail on a 1, so this is excellent. If you don't want to take a level of Cleric, a Domain Draught (Magic Item Compendium) will give you the granted power of a particular domain for 24 hours.

Naleh
2008-05-03, 08:45 PM
Avoid pumping his equips too much, your PCs will loot it.

What about a Crusader/Cleric/Ruby Knight Vindicator? Lots of actions, spellcasting and ToB goodness. Pump up some templates like Half Dragon AND Half Fiend (There's a spell for this), preferrably, on top of some high HD low CR creature, maybe some kind of giant or whatever.

Why bother with a spell? Just apply the Half Dragon and Half Fiend templates from birth. It's perfectly legal. (There's no rule that a character can only have two halves.)

expirement10K14
2008-05-03, 08:49 PM
Divine Ranks.

ColonelFuster
2008-05-03, 08:53 PM
As my first post on these forums, I would like to put in a word for one of my own builds for invincibility... if you merely pump up their Armor Class, there's no way that the heroes will beat them. Figure out the absolute maximum damage that your most powerful caster or fighter can do, then quadruple that amount. Don't be afraid to give them effects that you just totally make up yourself if he's wearing wierd armor- it gives him the ability to cast maximizd magic missile at will/other cheesiness. I heartily agree with DR/plot, (it was originally posted in Heroes of Horror, I believe?) I have used it many times. Who would have guessed that the only way to overcome his DR is by hitting him with a holy symbol or manacles? It's good times, but only if you have smart players.

I believe it would help if you told us the level of your group.

Artanis
2008-05-03, 09:06 PM
You could always use the Double Force Dragon trick.

FMArthur
2008-05-03, 10:49 PM
I kinda disagree with not letting the PCs hit the guy. I think it leaves a better impression if his AC is low enough that they can hit him sometimes (not always), but that he can shrug off their damage almost indefinitely, via large HP, DR, and regeneration. Make it seem like they can't really affect him in any meaningful way that lasts more than a couple seconds. They can't diplomance him, can't deter him, distract him, frustrate him, etc. He will kill them if they do not flee immediately. Generally a smart player backs off when he/she can't cause any visible or lasting harm and is rapidly (but not instantly!) losing their HP.

One "Nemesis" monster I made my PCs run from in a campaign was a monster that had tarrasque-esque regeneration but reduced to 10, mild DR, was a large sized humanoid in a cloak with assorted weapons, and as long as he was conscious, every round they were near him I rolled a d6 for each player and they all lost 1 stat point in one of the 6 stats depending on the die roll, and gave it to him. They got it back when they were more than 300ft away or knocked him out (thinking they'd killed him, but he'd always regenerate and come back). That last bit added a sense of urgency that they get away, and gave a lot of player-fear when the ability alerted them to his presence, continuing the hunt. I think it worked out well, and he was a long-term villain monster that followed them unexpectedly even when story-arcs came and went. They never knew when he was coming, but dreaded it like nothing else.

Eita
2008-05-03, 11:36 PM
Give him a huge con score and say that his armor makes it so that he uses his con score for all saves. Also, make it so that when he dies the armor explodes, rendering it to molten slag that can never be reassembled into what it was.

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-03, 11:41 PM
I'm sorry to say this but most of the ideas presented here won't do jack to make the guy invincible. SR is great but it does nothing to Cindy. AC is great but a natural 20 is always a hit, a 5% chance. It's not great but its doable. HP is great, but again it does not make one invincible.

The 1 and only way to make someone truly invincible in D&D 3.5 is to give them continuous Timeless Body as an Ex ability. Nothing can harm them at all, ever.

Then just add whatever other abilities you want on top of that.

Xefas
2008-05-03, 11:43 PM
I've always just taken the character I envision them being and adding the Plot Template, which goes a little like this:

----
"Plot" is an acquired template that can be applied to any creature.

Size and Type are unchanged.

Special Qualities:

Plot Death: This creature cannot be reduced below 1 hit point by any means. This quality counts as either a Supernatural or Extraordinary ability; whichever is more beneficial to the plot at the time.

Invincibility: This creature is immune to all effects that do not result in hit point damage. This quality counts as either a Supernatural or Extraordinary ability; whichever is more beneficial to the plot at the time.

Acting the Part: This creature can appear to be hurt or effected by something, even if they are otherwise undamaged or unaffected by it. In addition, this creature can also not appear to be hurt or effected by something even if they are. This quality counts as either a Supernatural or Extraordinary ability; whichever is more beneficial to the plot at the time.

Easy Out: This creature loses this template and reverts to having the statistics of the base creature if it is ever beneficial to the plot for it to do so. This quality counts as either a Supernatural or Extraordinary ability; whichever is more beneficial to the plot at the time.

Challenge Rating: +0

Level Adjustment: -

Kizara
2008-05-03, 11:47 PM
I'm sorry to say this but most of the ideas presented here won't do jack to make the guy invincible. SR is great but it does nothing to Cindy. AC is great but a natural 20 is always a hit, a 5% chance. It's not great but its doable. HP is great, but again it does not make one invincible.

The 1 and only way to make someone truly invincible in D&D 3.5 is to give them continuous Timeless Body as an Ex ability. Nothing can harm them at all, ever.

I dunno, I think my design is a little more creative then that and gives you a creature with very good abilties and defenses instead of just giving it "invulnerable" as a quality...

Collin152
2008-05-03, 11:49 PM
Take the Plot creature, force it into an Anti-Magic field.
It's powers become extraoridinary.
Shapechange.
Ah, wait, can't do that to templated creatures.
I was so close, too.

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-03, 11:58 PM
I dunno, I think my design is a little more creative then that and gives you a creature with very good abilties and defenses instead of just giving it "invulnerable" as a quality...

Yes but the OP asked for Invincible. Not just hard to kill. And Timeless Body is how you do invincible.

Dervag
2008-05-04, 12:05 AM
Well, that depends on what you mean by "invincible."

If you want an enemy who is "invincible" in the literal sense of unconquerable, then allowing them to recuperate from injury very fast and making them immensely powerful will do.

Thus, the Incredible Hulk, who can regenerate from injuries and who is immensely strong, is arguably "invincible." Well, you might be able to disintegrate him or mindcrush him somehow, but you see what I mean. Because he can come back from (almost) anything you throw at him, he creates the appearance of invincibility.

Whereas if by "invincible" you mean "invulnerable," that's different. First of all, a person may be invulnerable to harm and yet be defeated. Siegfried was invulnerable, but once defeated by being dropped into a deep pit he could not climb out of.

What the original poster probably wants is invincible (the heroes can't stop him and he's strong enough to kill them all if they try to fight him). Invulnerability helps to achieve this, but is not sufficient by itself.

FMArthur
2008-05-04, 12:32 AM
Then why bother even asking? It doesn't take a stat-block and an eight page character sheet to remember the two phrases "you miss" and "it fails". It's better to just know what your players' limits are and make an enemy that can be killed, just not at their current level.

Feralgeist
2008-05-04, 01:43 AM
Zodar, from fiend folio. Immune to all damage except for Bludgeoning, ignores enhancement bonuses on bludgeoning weapons. Construct Immunities.

Phantom template: Is incorporeal whenever it wants, corporeal whenever it wants. benefits of both, drawbacks of neither. possibly loss of grappling though...

looks like a big dark suit of armor that cannot be hurt because the attacks either bounce off or just pass through (at the Zodar's discretion). Can walk through walls. Pretty invulnerable, depending on your party level.

Saph
2008-05-04, 10:34 AM
Regeneration is a bad, bad, BAD idea. Sure, it'll work against novice players. Veterans will just stand over the downed opponent and CdG him over and over again until he's at negative several million HP.

Yes but the OP asked for Invincible. Not just hard to kill. And Timeless Body is how you do invincible.

Why bother following the rules?

My recommendation would be to give him the following item:

Borg Armour

This item is a battle-suit symbiotically bonded with the wearer. It looks like a cross between the Master Chief's suit from Halo, Terminator armour from Warhammer 40K, and whatever else you think looks sufficiently cool and intimidating.

The suit gives the following benefits:

1) Any effect that would kill, incapacitate, or neutralise the wearer instead knocks him down for a set amount of time, anywhere from a few hours to a few minutes to just one round, depending on how mean you're feeling. You can have the suit and wielder teleport away, plane shift, or just go inert for the duration.

2) After the set amount of time is up, the armour reanimates along with the wearer, and permanently gains immunity to whatever disabled it last time. These immunities stack.

So if the PCs take it down with weapon damage, when it comes back it'll be immune to weapon damage. If they use fire, when it comes back it'll be immune to fire. If they nuke it, it'll come back immune to nukes. And so on.

This allows the PCs to keep slowing the thing down, but forces them to keep thinking of different ideas to stop it, and makes it clear that it's a race they're guaranteed to lose effectively.

- Saph

Rutee
2008-05-04, 10:44 AM

As GM, I'm pretty damn sure I can negate Cindy with a creature I want to be invincible, your stats be damned. It's not a lot of work to say "You fail" even when by the book, you shouldn't have. Incidentally, Leliel asked for something to be used in an /actual game/, so none of that "You can only discuss RAW" crap.

Regeneration is a bad, bad, BAD idea. Sure, it'll work against novice players. Veterans will just stand over the downed opponent and CdG him over and over again until he's at negative several million HP.
Well, you /did/ say why bother following the rules, so letting it drop to negative a million would probably be the point where they're growing detrimental :P

Also, whatever you give him, Leliel, make sure it also adds immunity to Save or Suck and Save or Lose.

Dode
2008-05-04, 10:54 AM
Anarchic Crusader with Immortal Fortitude stance and some sort of persisted Death Ward cast upon him along with a ring of mindshielding or whatever. That's pretty close to invulnerable.

Or just give it a burrow speed and the Mobile Spellcasting feat, whateva.

Eurus
2008-05-04, 10:56 AM
You know... Running with the 'Hulk' idea of invincibility=unconquerable, not necessarily impervious to damage, what if he upgraded every time you fought him? Like, the first time the party fights him, they might be able to just blitz him to death and have the tanks hack him to pieces. His armor self-destructs, and his Clone awakens. A few days later they fight him again, but this time every weapon that touches him instantly rusts. So they kill him with magic; again, he's back a few days later, and this time he's got a continual Antimagic Field. They trap him in some kind of inescapable location? He kills himself, his clone pops up, and sure enough, this time he's got Greater Teleport and etherealness at will. This way, you have the benefits of adding in new immunities whenever you want, while still keeping his stats largely codified. Eventually, they'd just give up and run away on sight, until you let them figure out how to perma-kill him.

Saph
2008-05-04, 11:20 AM
Well, you /did/ say why bother following the rules, so letting it drop to negative a million would probably be the point where they're growing detrimental :P

Yeah, but this is the problem with PCs as opposed to narrative characters. In Terminator 2, after the T-1000's been frozen and shattered, John, Sarah, and Arnie just sit there and watch as the shattered remains start flowing together. Do that with a PC party, and they'll go running for mops and vacuum cleaners. :P

Eurus: that was what I was trying for. You can slow it down, you just can't kill it.

- Saph

Dorizzit
2008-05-04, 12:00 PM
Here's my recommendation:
In Heroes of Horror (which is an awesome book with cool ideas even if you don't want a surplus of horror), there is a template (I don't remember the name, something like life-locked) which means that if the creature is killed it gets back up. Sometimes it takes days, but it always happens. Want to get the PCs scared? Have them battle it and kill it with great difficulty, but have it be very definitely dead. Let the PCs alone for a few days (say, 2). Then they hear ominous footsteps. Around the corner comes the very same being that nearly killed them, the wounds they inflicted upon it previously closing as they watch. If they try to kill it again, have it immediately return. They'll never want to fight it again.

Xuincherguixe
2008-05-04, 12:30 PM
I've had some thoughts on this myself a bit.

Maybe the thing has a body that isn't really "from this world". Nothing "of this world" can harm it.

When I was originally thinking this stuff, the idea would be that the players would use magic to attack it extra dimensionally.

For your invincible monster, I would say make a note that it's indestructible. Except of course for whatever will make it vulnerable. And don't be afraid to give it new, though limited abilities if the players get really creative. The obvious thing they'll try to do is send it to another plane, or collapse a mountain on it. So once per day (or "whenever you feel like it") it has an unlimited teleportation sort of power.

Bonus points if the way to defeat the thing is something that doesn't actually exist yet. Such as a spell that essentially "stabilizes" the creature, and it's put into a state where it can be affected, or the same, but the characters have to build it themselves. (The components could be at the bottoms of dungeons, or they're extremely expensive)

Dode
2008-05-04, 12:34 PM
Dimunitive Iron Golem Swarm

Immune to weapon damage, immune to magic.

"You are attacked... by your own diecast D&D minatures"

Rutee
2008-05-04, 12:40 PM
Yeah, but this is the problem with PCs as opposed to narrative characters. In Terminator 2, after the T-1000's been frozen and shattered, John, Sarah, and Arnie just sit there and watch as the shattered remains start flowing together. Do that with a PC party, and they'll go running for mops and vacuum cleaners. :P

Eurus: that was what I was trying for. You can slow it down, you just can't kill it.

- Saph

Er... well no. That's not necessarily true. Not with players who actively value the narrative :P

monty
2008-05-04, 03:00 PM
Dimunitive Iron Golem Swarm

Immune to weapon damage, immune to magic.

"You are attacked... by your own diecast D&D minatures"

Acid Fog?9 characters...ridiculous

Cuddly
2008-05-04, 03:37 PM
Race: Warforged
Class: Any, just meet the prerequisites for Warforged Juggernaught 2
Spells: Monstrous Regeneration, from MoF. Cleric 5. This only lasts rounds/levels, so finding a way to persist it (DMM or artificer) would be key.

What you get:
As long as monstrous regeneration is up, all damage, except fire and acid, is treated as subdual damage. At level two, warforged juggernaught makes you immune to subdual damage.

Alternative:
Race: Warforged
Class: Any x/Warforged Juggernaught 5 (I'd go pounce barbarian 1/psychic warrior 14/Warforged 5 or pounce barbarian 1/warblade14/warforged5, or 15 levels artificer, 5 warforged juggernaught for really nasty self buffs)
Feat: Trollblooded, from Dragon magazine

What you get: Regeneration 1 forever, and virtually all the strengths of a construct with no draw backs.

Warforged J gives some nifty bonuses to destroying objects, and with destructive rage, extended rage, and extra rage (give the guy a couple flaws, like murky eyed or something), and a couple strength boosting items, he'll be able to smash through walls and stuff. I imagine he'd be this hulking monster, incased in dull gray metal, charging with out heed to anything his way, totally obliterating furniture, before barreling into an opponent, spikes and blades a whirling frenzy of death.

Of course, everything you hit him with either bounces off his impenetrable exoskeleton, or is rapidly healed. Most spells have no effect, and even the most mortal of wounds are rapidly regenerated. I imagine it'd be a cross between the t1000 from terminator, in regenerative abilities, and the tyrant that runs through walls in resident evil 2.

If you really want to be mean, give him the half-fire elemental (fire immunity) and black dragon (acid immunity) templates. Levels in artificer, with a coupe metamagic feats, and he can have a mounted ray cannon on his arm (wand of scorching ray, CL 9th, twinned).

Funkyodor
2008-05-04, 04:28 PM
You might try going a powerful, but controlled, direction. If you present this very, very powerful enemy their direction; they might start wondering why this guy doesn't take charge and oust the current BBEG.

Limiting the available funds and making alot of his power be inherent instead of from items would be better, unless you want to spike the PC's with high powered stuff.

I'm thinking maybe the BBEG owns his soul/traps his heart. The first time the PC's put him down, let them think he's dead. Reason being he has no life signs, even when walking around. They can mutilate him and even remove parts. The effect I like using is to have the parts turn into "snips and snails and puppy dog tails" when the PC's remember and look back at them. Make him into a walking nightmare. Immunity to death effects and negative levels, plus give him some resistance to getting blasted with Disintegrate. Make him like a cross between a Rakshasa (Change Shape & Detect Thoughts) and an Undead creature. Go 'old school' and make it the only way he can be killed is with a Blessed Bolt. Not a bolt that does holy damage, but a bolt specifically blessed by a Bless spell. And it must pierce his heart (called shot). Add insult to injury by giving him the Deflect Arrows feat. Oh wait, doesn't the BBEG have his heart? It's like finding a Lichs Phylactry. Heh, heh. You should surprise True Sight users by having them make Fortitude saves or retch uncontrollably at his true form.

FinalJustice
2008-05-04, 04:33 PM
Forcecage + AMF can be a staple 'stop the damn thing' combo, if your party has enough levels to pull it off. You may want to design a creature that doesn't fit in a Forcecage so the spell fails.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-04, 04:55 PM
Or...y'know...the party can just cast Solid Fog. If the thing doesn't have freedom of movement, the party gets away.

At later levels, however, they can carry small cities of Fine beings. If they don't mind the wanton destruction, the Locate City trick will send the thing flying for enough time to escape.

TheDarkDM
2008-05-04, 04:56 PM
Zodar, from fiend folio. Immune to all damage except for Bludgeoning, ignores enhancement bonuses on bludgeoning weapons. Construct Immunities.

Phantom template: Is incorporeal whenever it wants, corporeal whenever it wants. benefits of both, drawbacks of neither. possibly loss of grappling though...

looks like a big dark suit of armor that cannot be hurt because the attacks either bounce off or just pass through (at the Zodar's discretion). Can walk through walls. Pretty invulnerable, depending on your party level.

That would be my suggestion. However, you'd need to drop some magic immunity or SR in there, because RAW a Zodar is immune to attacks that aren't bludgeoning, which could be read as only weapons. Also, as is a Zodar is mindless, so you'd either need to rethink the idea of it as the only BBEG, or give it an int score. However, you can cheese out a Zodar to infinity if you are willing to abuse the fact that it can cast a free [I]Wish[I] once every year. Just make it 50 years old, and you have 50 buffing wishes. :smallamused:

Heliomance
2008-05-04, 05:06 PM
Hit them with this (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=478716&).

Gralamin
2008-05-04, 06:06 PM
Make a Psion(Kineticist) 5/Psion Uncarnate 10
This guys permanently incorporeal, but can use his corporeal equipment, as his ability states “As Shed Body”.
Items of note include a plain masterwork weapon.
On Round 1, he manifests Null Psionics Field centered on him. He is now invincible, unless your players have some way to hit incorporeal creatures as an (Ex) ability.
He follows the PCs around, hitting them with his masterwork weapon, slowly wearing them down.

Triaxx
2008-05-04, 06:31 PM
Forget all that. All you need is:

Immortal (Su):
Creatures with the Immortal ability cannot be executed (Coup de gras, finger of death, etc), and cannot have their HP reduced below 1. The final HP can only be removed by (puzzle reward).

Moff Chumley
2008-05-04, 06:41 PM
I'm in support of "You Fail" and "It misses" as at-will abilities.

Talic
2008-05-05, 01:25 AM
Troll: CR5

Add: Half Dragon (Black, Brass, Copper, Green, Gold, Red) -Acid or Fire Immune (CR 7)
Add: 6 levels of wizard (CR 10)
Add 10 levels of Elemental Savant (CR 20) -Immune to acid or Fire

Now, you can have a strong character that hits like a tank and is practically immune to damage. It has the ability to cast 8th level spells, giving it mind blank. It has the ability to have a protection from X up all the time, giving it immunity to ongoing control and mind-affecting abilities. You can knock him out, or beat him down, but it's very hard to keep him down.

Devils_Advocate
2008-05-05, 12:04 PM
Just make his battle suit an ultra-special suit of armor that grants the wearer total immunity to any form of damage, death, ability drain, paralysis, and whatever else you want to make him immune to, as well as granting a huge bonus to Strength. Some or all of the armor's functions stop working when some condition is fulfilled. (Or maybe different functions stop working in different conditions, whatever.) The armor is an artifact, forged by the long-forgotten god Plah't.

And everyone knows better than to try to kill someone with Plah't armor.

Note that "statting" this guy is really just a matter of specifying what you want him to be immune to. You could try to find a bunch of official templates, spells, feats, magic items, and other things that would make him immune to everything... but there's really no need to do that, because you're the DM, and adding in new game material of your own design is your prerogative. You can just give him a single piece of applied phlebotinum (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AppliedPhlebotinum) that does exactly what you want. Giving it official stats is just a matter of laying out rules that it will consistently follow (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagicAIsMagicA).

Basically: What exactly do you mean by "invincible"? What do you want him to be able to do? How do you want the PCs to be able to defeat him? The answers to those questions are pretty much this guy's stats.

Telonius
2008-05-05, 12:23 PM
Well, as it says on the tin, I want a Pyramid Head-Juggernaut-Matrix Agent type villain on one of my BBEG's team-You know, the kind of baddie who would be probably be able to withstand a nuke while being barely scratched, able to walk through walls while not being ethereal, and utterly determined to complete his mission. Not so much an obstacle for the PCs, but rather something to run away from really fast (emphasis on really; unlike Pyramid Head, I plan on him being rather fast as well).

The problem is, I want stats that are something other than "higher than yours", so I can codify exactly what his abilites are, and how he uses them. Of course, with stats, there is always the possibility that he will lose, which kind of diminishes the impact.

So, could you suggest ideas on how to stat him with him still being invincible?

Few things:

1) I want him to be a humanoid, albeit in a battle suit. I also want him to be relatively intelligent, so that I have an excuse to use his powers to attack the PCs weaknesses.

2) Yes, they eventually will defeat him, but they're going to have to solve a puzzle during the fight if they want to.

Okay, stepping back a little and looking at the sorts of things you want your guy to be able to do, the thought that came to my mind was "gestalt Monk." Horror, Sacrilege, I know. But Monk gets a lot of those abilities out of the box. They're very good at not dying, get bunches of fast attacks, can get through walls... Problem is your players would not be scared of it, because it's a Monk. So you'd need to Gestalt it with something. One of the full-BAB melee classes would do, from what you're describing. Fighter, Ranger, or Knight would probably do decently well; possibly with some Blackguard thrown in for flavor (and Dark Blessing).

seedjar
2008-05-05, 05:34 PM
You know... Running with the 'Hulk' idea of invincibility=unconquerable, not necessarily impervious to damage, what if he upgraded every time you fought him? Like, the first time the party fights him, they might be able to just blitz him to death and have the tanks hack him to pieces. His armor self-destructs, and his Clone awakens. A few days later they fight him again, but this time every weapon that touches him instantly rusts. So they kill him with magic; again, he's back a few days later, and this time he's got a continual Antimagic Field. They trap him in some kind of inescapable location? He kills himself, his clone pops up, and sure enough, this time he's got Greater Teleport and etherealness at will. This way, you have the benefits of adding in new immunities whenever you want, while still keeping his stats largely codified. Eventually, they'd just give up and run away on sight, until you let them figure out how to perma-kill him.

I have a similar thought. If you're down to give this guy unique abilities, what about diverting his saves all to one stat and increase it every time he makes a save? Or something similarly cheesy. If you want him to beat the PCs without being arbitrarily superior, then just push his stats up every time they start to get the jump on him.
~Joe

PS - You could make this a part of the puzzle of beating him. "Wait a minute, Zagor, put down that hammer! We'll defeat the Dark Lord with the power of SONG!"

Feralgeist
2008-05-06, 07:03 AM
Note: Zodars are not mindless. They talk. says so in the book. They just don't have an int score. Just cause undead and constructs dont have CON scores doesn't mean they dont have hit points, or bodies.

Mr. Friendly
2008-05-06, 07:27 AM
A Paragon (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/epicNonAbominations.html#paragon-creature) Human.

No no. Not a Human with levels in Human Paragon, a Human with the Paragon template.

Sure it's +15 CR

But dude...

He definately stays invincible to the PCs. Especially if you add in some sort of Artifact/Ritual whatever that can eventually stop him.

Plus, it really annoys the PCs to get beat down by some "normal" human. Or gnome or halfling. :smallbiggrin:

Dode
2008-05-06, 07:35 AM
I'd give him levels in Human Paragon just for the hell of it.

Paragon Human Paragon

Jastermereel
2008-05-06, 09:36 AM
I'd give him levels in Human Paragon just for the hell of it.

Paragon Human Paragon

Just for malicious fun, why not a Paragon Human Paragon Flaming Homer?