PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky Derby

Mauve Shirt
2008-05-03, 05:20 PM
Hooray Big Brown, but poor Eight Belles! :smallfrown:

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2008-05-03, 05:44 PM
even though he was the soft favorite, I was quite surprised that Big Brown (named after UPS) won. He really hadn't been tested in a race yet, and no horse had won the Derby in the 20th post since 1929., or with as few starts as 1915. He definitely had a good, proven jockey, (who won his 3rd Derby today), and watching it from the overhead view in replay, and things under control from the start, which was much more difficult to tell, since it appeared it he was further back than he was. I personally thought Colonel John would win. I guess the not having run a race on a dirt track became a bigger issue than I thought it would. Eight Belles almost became the 4th fillie to win the Derby placing, but tragically broke both ankles after the race was completed and had to be euthanized immediately. Kind of brings back memories of Barbaro two years ago at Pimlico. Speaking of which, with the Preakness a few weeks away, and Big Brown's convincing win (my guess is about 4-5 lengths), the talk will now begin about the possibility of the horse becoming the 12th triple crown winner. It would be very fitting if it were to happen coming 30 years after Affirmed did it, but I guess we shall have to see.

CockroachTeaParty
2008-05-03, 05:49 PM
Oh, man, Big Brown just dominated there at the end. The horse looked like a rocket out of the final corner. But I was so sad for Eight Belles! A good race overall though. A gorgeous day there, too. A shame I'm over 2,000 miles away...