PDA

View Full Version : Warlock/????? gestalt help

detrevnisisiht
2008-05-03, 11:39 PM
I am about to start in a gestalt campaign, I've decided that I want warlock to be one part of my class and I wanted help to chose the other class, as well as and prolonged builds and please no wizard.

(steps behind anti-batman shield)

and GO!

MeklorIlavator
2008-05-03, 11:49 PM
Well, if its a funny, lighthearted campaign, go druid, turn into a bear, and shoot lazers out of your eyes.

On a more serious note, you should choose a full caster in order to supplement your own lackluster invocations, but besides that there are several classes that could work well with a warlock. Rouge would give you more skillpoints and SA to help out your Eldrich Blast damage, though it would be a bit temperamental. And, depending on your invocations, Intelligence could easily be a first or second tier stat. Bard would provide more stat overlap, bringing group buffs(Bardic music) to the table, as well as some spell casting, but it wouldn't bring that much overall.

Collin152
2008-05-03, 11:51 PM
Monk.

Just for fun.

Chronos
2008-05-03, 11:59 PM
Well, the standard pairing with Warlock for Gestalt is usually Rogue. Eldritch Blast has an attack roll and does damage, so it's eligible for Sneak Attack, and many Warlock invocations complement Rogue skills well. And you never have to worry about running out of your abilities, since invocations and skills are at will.

Down the line a ways, Chameleon is a great prestige class to take for a warlock (especially if you have rogue levels to make the skill requirements easier, and especially if you can take it on the other side of the gestalt from Warlock). The changeable feat gained at second level is especially nice, since you can spend it on item creation feats to use with your Imbue Item ability, or on Extra Invocation to customize your invocation list every day (thereby somewhat bypassing the Warlock's biggest limitation). It also gives you a decent spell progression, choosing from all spellcasting lists in the game. If you take it to the full, your progression would look something like Warlock 15/X 5 // Rogue 5/Chameleon 10/Rogue +5, or possibly Warlock 20 // Rogue 5/Chameleon 10/Y 5, where X is anything that can advance Warlock, and Y is anything that can advance your roguish abilities. Alternately, you could dip Chameleon just long enough to pick up the bonus feat, leaving more levels for other classes.

Another option that combines well with Warlock is the Binder. Again, most of your abilities can be used repeatedly, though many of them have a five-round cooldown. The flavors mingle well, and if you go into Hellfire Warlock down the line, binding Naberius will mitigate the Con damage you take. This could also be combined with the rogue build above, though I think that Binder is most interesting if you take it to at least 8, so you can bind two vestiges at once (if going the Hellfire route, this would mean that you can still choose a vestige each day in addition to Naberius).

monty
2008-05-04, 12:00 AM
Maybe go Sorcerer x / Chameleon 2/ Sorcerer 18-x on the other side for nearly full casting and uber item creation. If you're not worried about the casting, replace Sorcerer with Rogue for sneak attack and easier entry into Chameleon. Also, (greater) invisibility at will + sneak attack + EB + essence = lots of damage, as many times as you want.

Edit: Now that I actually think about it, replace as many of those sorcerer levels as possible with a "+1 existing" PrC, because you want to take something with actual class features.

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-05-04, 12:04 AM
Rogue has a lot of synergy with Warlock. UMD + take 10 to UMD = good times. Rogue also brings the best skill points to the table, Reflex saves (and Evasion to back it up), and Sneak Attack, which goes well with Eldrich Blast.

Druid also has a lot of synergy with Warlock, Natural Spell can be used for SLA's as well, I believe, so you can do all your invocations while wild shaped.

If you're looking for anti-batman power, try something from ToB, like a Warblade. Full BAB, Fort saves, lots of melee ability.

Barbarian also goes well with Warlock. Shoot a few blasts at range, then someone pisses you off, and go Incredible Hulk on them.

Favored Soul, ironically, goes well with Warlock. That way you can pick up some divine magic to back up your invocations. If you're the only divine caster, you can pick up a feat (as long as you are not evil) to spontaniously cast Cure instead of whatever, so it's like having the Cure line free, just pick up Heal, and some of the fix-it's (remove curse, cure disease, neutralize poison, some kind of Restoration) and the rest can be in some of the more nasty save-or-screwed or save-or-die effects the Clerics have.

Personally, I'd go with Rogue. Sneak Attack + Eldrich Blast + Walk Unseen = good times. But that's just me, all of the options, while mechanically sound, are not particularly optimized, but are fun and would work well together.

Nebo_
2008-05-04, 12:08 AM
+1 for Rogue.

McMindflayer
2008-05-04, 01:09 AM
I've seen the rogue/Warlock and the warlock/Barbarian combinations. If you are going for constant a lot of damage, go barbarian. Hideous blow plus tons of strength plus a big two handed weapon. you can power attack with your hideous amount of strength, as a standard action, with all your eldritch blast into the attack.
Level 7 Barbarian/warlock with Monkey grip while raging. 7d6+10 without power attack or special qualities on his weapons. He has a +20 to hit. That's a lot of damage.

The_Snark
2008-05-04, 01:15 AM
Scout works nicely too. Skirmish (take Improved Skirmish) and Eldritch Blast go together very well. Scouts don't get quite as good a skill list, but warlock class skills help you out a little there.

If your DM hasn't banned feats like Swift Ambusher, that lets you go with both scout and rogue.

Ganurath
2008-05-04, 01:16 AM
Depends on what you want to do:

Eldritch Blast Cannon: Hexblade is another Light Armor Cha Caster with better HD, full BAB, and at 4th level a combat able familiar to intercede for you.

End It Before It Starts: Sneak attack damage stacks with Eldritch Blast damage, so the Rogue is very nice.

Violent Control Freak: Dread Necromancer, especially if your first level is Warlock/Dromite LA. All Sorts of Creepy, anyone?

Diplomancer: Nothing is more worrisome than a Bard with Beguiling Influence at the early levels.