PDA

View Full Version : Invader Zim

Corrupted One
2008-05-04, 12:31 AM
Well, the board seemed overdue for one. Seems like quite a few people here like the show, and because I wasn't able to find a thread on it, I made one. So what are your thoughts, feeling, and general opinions on the show. I personally think it was hillarious and that cancelling it was a HUGE mistake.

Jayngfet
2008-05-04, 12:34 AM
Awesome show, where I live you can still see it fridays if you stay up till 12:30.

Edan
2008-05-04, 12:39 AM
I liked it, I was also blessed to find the DvD set on sale for $20 US.

It was actually pretty good for a "kid" show. But like so many of Nickelodeon's prime shows, they get canceled in favor of mindless entertainment that they currently show. Ren & Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life etc. All were victims of the network.

Professor Membrane was do funny despite his low screen time, example:
"Quiet son I'm making [cue dramatic lightning] TOAST!

If people have not seen it yet, don't be put off by the near constant screaming, it actually has smart humor in it, plus it has a cult following.

GrassyGnoll
2008-05-04, 12:56 AM
Despite the attention he gets I thought Gir was a weak character. I thought the funniest parts were the reactions of mobs or groups of people. It was disturbingly real.

Phase
2008-05-04, 01:07 AM
Dib: "What about his horrible green head?"
Zim: "Insolent fool boy! It's a skin condition."
Dib: "And he's got no ears! Is that part of your skin condition Zim? No Ears?"
Zim: (Looking sad) "...Yes"

Zim's Computer: (Trying to warn Zim about an explosion) "but seriously Zim, if you just speed up the explosion...
Zim: (interrupting) "I don't pay you to contradict me!"

Jibar
2008-05-04, 01:13 AM
Professor Membrane was so funny despite his low screen time

Damn right he was.
For another great example, see the Christmas episode:

Young Prof. Membrane: Oh, boy! I asked Santa for twelve cases of Uranium 238. Yay!
[Prof. Membrane opens a present. Tube socks shoot out from the present and fill the room.]
Young Prof. Membrane: Nooo! Santa has let me down! I will turn my back on him and devote a portion of my life to destroying Santa! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Phase
2008-05-04, 01:19 AM
See the Christmas episode:

Bow down! Bow down!
Before the power of San-ta,
Or be crushed, be crushed,
Byyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
His jolly boots of doom!

Bow down! Bow down!
Before the power of San-ta,
Or be crushed, be crushed,
Byyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
His jolly boots of doom!

Icewalker
2008-05-04, 01:19 AM
I always hear how great it is, but I know very little about it. I should find some to watch.

TSGames
2008-05-04, 01:25 AM
I always hear how great it is, but I know very little about it. I should find some to watch.

Immediately (http://www.truveo.com/Invader-Zim-The-Nightmare-Begins/id/3126202065)

[EDIT]
Better link :)

Phase
2008-05-04, 01:27 AM
Immediately (http://www.truveo.com/Invader-Zim-Episode-1-The-Nightmare-Begins/id/129778796)

I love you...

Mauve Shirt
2008-05-04, 01:35 AM
I absolutely LOVE the show, and was infuriated that I was only exposed to it after it was canceled. I own all of the DVDs though.
What I dislike is the fact that the doom song is one of the most-quoted lines from it, and it's not even the funniest. It gets old REALLY quickly.

Is it true that Dib was supposed to turn out to be an alien?

Jayngfet
2008-05-04, 01:36 AM
I love you...

...we all do.

Irenaeus
2008-05-04, 02:16 AM
I have never seen much of it, but am always planning to do so. It seems to retain most of the fun parts of Johnny the Homicidal Mainiac, without being so incredibly misanthropic.

I do like some misanthropy, though.

hanzo66
2008-05-04, 02:59 AM
Ahh, Invader Zim...

Liked that show greatly. Always liked the character of Zim, in that I found the idea that he had the ability to conquer Earth (helped that humans are stupid jackasses) but lacks the capacity for it. The fact that he wasn't all that different from Johnny sort of helps in making him fun (IE that of a psychopath who kills indiscriminately).

Jibar
2008-05-04, 03:43 AM
Is it true that Dib was supposed to turn out to be an alien?

I think there was going to be an episode where it turned out he was built by aliens to explain why he was super smart, though it was purely conceptual, and unlike some of the other lost episodes no definite scripts were ever written.

<,<
>,>
<,<

Zim: But I chose this particular worm hole especially for the occasion. You see, the end of this wormhole lies: A ROOM with a MOOSE!!!
Dib: AAAAAHHHH - Wait a minute! Did you say, a room with a moose?
Zim: Yes. Your fear is overwhelming, no?
Dib: Um...no. What's so scary about a room with a stupid moose? I mean, yeah, that's a big moose, but -
Zim: Oh, you'll see. PREPARE YOUR BLADDER FOR IMMINENT RELEASE!
Dib: Nuh-uh

I reeeeally liked Zim.

puppyavenger
2008-05-04, 08:05 AM
tied with Avatar for best show Nickolonian spat out.

black dragoon
2008-05-04, 08:44 AM
Reallt to bad Nickolodean has no common sense and are now churning out crappy shows like it's their job....oh wait.

RationalGoblin
2008-05-04, 09:21 AM
Reallt to bad Nickolodean has no common sense and are now churning out crappy shows like it's their job....oh wait.

Of course Nickolodean's job is to churn out bad shows and cancel good, great, or awesome ones. They're the kids version of Fox, except instead of canceling Firefly, they cancel Invader Zim. :smallmad:

black dragoon
2008-05-04, 09:32 AM
Yeah...Dammit! Why are the good ones killed off qiuckly?!:smallfurious:

KazilDarkeye
2008-05-04, 10:45 AM
"Gir, Defensive Mode!"
<jumps out window>

The Resistee! were also pretty funny. And that running gag with that really short, fat invader (Skootch?)

black dragoon
2008-05-04, 10:49 AM
Hehe Giant Doom bot...Tak also struck me as a memorable character that and the Dibship.

Icewalker
2008-05-04, 01:48 PM
Watched the first episode. It wasn't amazing in itself but I know that pilots are like that, and the set up for the real story makes it look like it'll be completely hilarious. And it was definitely very funny. I'll watch more.

poleboy
2008-05-05, 01:59 AM
It was wasted on kids, like most good Nickelodeon stuff.

hanzo66
2008-05-05, 02:27 AM
Yeah, it seems like the stuff that Adult Swim would gladly take. It seems that Adult Swim currently is in a stage where shows are meant to be bizarre to the point of Nightmare Fuel (I just found myself a bit disturbed from the few clips of that Tim and Eric show).

It was for a show a bit too dark and edgy for it's target audience, IE that of little kids of one-digit age. That's the problem in that it was unable to appeal to the young'uns, unlike shows like Avatar which has an appeal for all. Most of that show could just end up scaring the crap out of the kids while either pissing off or entertaining the parents.

Icewalker
2008-05-05, 06:03 PM
Found it online. Watched the first 12 episodes now.

Awesome. "I left it at home" "You what! Why?!" "To make room for the cupcake!" *snarf*

The Necroswanso
2008-05-05, 08:02 PM
I would honestly have to say the show was as good as performing an un-anesthised labotomy on one's self with their genitles.
However, it doesn't change the fact that it was funny as all get out.

Icewalker
2008-05-05, 08:53 PM
I'd just like to say that giant fish rampaging around Tokyo in bear suits is the best negative consequence of causality errors EVER.

:smallbiggrin:

KillianHawkeye
2008-05-05, 09:55 PM
It was ME! I was the turkey ALL ALOOONG!!!

:smallwink:

Steven the Lich
2008-05-06, 06:53 PM
Quotes from my favorite episode.

Martian hologram: My entire race worked themselves to extinction to turn our planet into a massive weapon.
Zim: Uh, why?
Martian: Because it's cool.
Gir: Ooooooooooohh.

Zim: Well, supreme leaders, I succeeded. I destroyed Mars.
Leader#1: Ummm... I thought you were going to destroy the Earth...
Zim: Oh, well... I thought it best to destroy Mars... (Okay, I forgot this quote, but I find it funny when Mars flies through and wipes out the Earken fleet.:smalltongue:)
Awesome! Too bad its cancelled.

hanzo66
2008-05-06, 11:00 PM
For anyone interested, someone managed to make a Codex: Irken Empire for Warhammer 40K using the Eldar as the basis.

Revlid
2008-05-07, 02:22 AM
Great stuff, I loved that show!

...That, horrible monkey...

Icewalker
2008-05-07, 02:52 AM
Warning: candy made entirely of sawdust.

Xefas
2008-05-07, 04:06 AM
One of my favorite shows ever. I really wish it hadn't gone the way of Firefly, if only to see Minimoose get some development. He was, by far, the most intriguing character on the show, but only appeared in a few episodes towards the end of the series.

Remirach
2008-05-07, 04:42 AM
I was first exposed to this show when I showed up at a comic-con in 2001. Jhonen Vasquez showed us, his unsuspecting audience, "Bad, Bad, Rubber Piggy" as well as "A Room With A Moose," in no small part because for some reason unfathomable to his scrawny trenchcoated ass, his "fans" sympathized with Zim instead of Dib, the real hero. So he picked two episodes where the "good guy" and "bad guy" were totally unambiguous.

Zim actually friggin' KILLS Dib in the piggy episode, and the "Moose" episode is supposed to be funny, but he's still the bad guy.

Also there are only like 30 invaders so quit calling yourselves "Invader XXXX" 'cause it ain't happenin'. Which isn't even delving into the "The Irken Empire is EVIL INCARNATE YOU DUMBASSES" issue.

I am SO sad it was canceled. The Resisty was guaranteed to be awesome, and Lard Nar, as their leader, was potentially fascinating as a character who had once worked for the Empire of his own free will.

Kenori
2008-05-08, 10:49 AM
Loved the show, completely underrated.

I never got to see the Christmas episode, but I watched the Halloween episode, and its my personal favorite so far.

WalkingTarget
2008-05-08, 11:23 AM
Loved the show, completely underrated.

I never got to see the Christmas episode, but I watched the Halloween episode, and its my personal favorite so far.

Heh. The Christmas episode is the only one my friends and I caught while the show was still on the air. Cue mad scrambling on the interwebs to find more of it (until the DVDs came out).

"I miss you cupcake."

"GIR, quickly, ride the pig!"

Kenori
2008-05-08, 11:26 AM
EDIT: Damn double posts.

I wish Vasquez would do a mainstream comic. I would love to see his interpretation of deadpool.

Icewalker
2008-05-10, 02:10 AM
Hehehe, Easter Platypus.

Now I just need to see the rest of season 2.

Jae
2008-05-18, 02:39 PM
Words cannot describe how addicted I was to that show. Ms. Bitters was always deliciously eerie. GIR was always my favorite.

doom song was pretty overrated, but thats only because it was the best line of the first episode, methinks.

I dont remember too many quotes off the top of my head that havent already been mentioned (classic pig&&cupcakes one) but hey, thats what imdb is for...

"Children, your performance was miserable. Your parents will all receive phone calls instructing them to love you less now."

Tak: "The great thing about your people Dib is that, most of them don't notice. All they see is another faceless corporate venture! Not a plan for world conquest!"
Dib: "Wait, is there really a difference?"

"YAY"
"No, GIR, that's bad..."

Dib: "You can't make me look! I'll just shut my eyes."
Zim: "Oh, you'll open them. You have to breath sometime."

heheheheheheheheheheheh :smallbiggrin:

likewise, I was furious when they cancelled The Angry Beavers...pure brilliance.