PDA

View Full Version : Cleric help

Criz Reborn
2008-05-04, 01:30 AM
Ok, so my fiance and I are entering into a campaign at 5th level and found out they have no healer. I decided to play the cleric so she can play a monk or whatever she wants, but Ive never played a cleric. So Im not really sure what Feats or deity to choose, or if there are any prestige classes I should be going for. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Kizara
2008-05-04, 01:33 AM
Books allowed and how obscenely powerful do you want to be?

Also, alignment would be useful.

Criz Reborn
2008-05-04, 01:41 AM
Books allowed and how obscenely powerful do you want to be?

Also, alignment would be useful.

From what Ive been told, I can use basically any book. The only restriction per say is nothing related to elfs or half-elfs bc the GM hates them and decided to make them a near-extinct source of evil. As for how powerful... sky's the limit I suppose.
Edit: alignment: any non-evil, preferably good something

Kizara
2008-05-04, 02:04 AM
Well, my friend, welcome to the world of owning the hell out of everything.

The first step on our journey begins with the Complete Divine, where we look at Divine Spell Power and Divine Metamagic.

Now, I want you to understand something, you can use metamagic on a spell of ANY LEVEL, by spending TURNING ATTEMPTS. Wheels turning yet?

Ok, now we go on over to the Spell Compendium. From here, we pick our domains. Personally, I just go War and Planning. But Time, Travel, Strength and Magic are all fine choices.

You also want to look through the spells, in particular Faith Healing and Grillons Blessing are big keepers. Now, also look through the PHB2 and Cdiv for other spell goodies.

As for PrCs, Radiant Servant of Pelor, Contemplative and Sacred Exorcist are all fine choices.

Now, be human, and select Quicken Spell and DMM (Quicken Spell) as your starting feats. Grab Power Attack at level 3.

Get a necklace of prayer beads (the mid-range one, what you're looking for is the Bead of Karma), a belt of battle (MIC), a Ring of Counterspelling (which you stick Dispel Magic in) and a couple Nightsticks (LM). Also, periphat of wis +6 and cloak of cha +6. Don't buy other ability boosters (aside from Int maybe) or silly crap like a ring of protection.

EDIT: Any questions?

DirtyPacifist
2008-05-04, 02:39 AM
Naturally, assuming you don't want to overshadow everybody and own everything (which clerics can do and I agree it to be efficient but many who play them actually like being the healer/buffer of others) but just be very powerful healer and buffer...

Play a human. Really unless you find a allowed race with wisdom bonus, I don't think any race has better benefits to cleric than the feat.

Look at the PrC Radiant Servant of Pelor in Complete Divine. It gets everything that a normal cleric gets AND bonuses to healing and turning. You want to aim there.

For feats, look into augmented healing (same book, +2 hp of healing per spell level) and divine spell power (your increased casterlevel also heals some extra in addition to being overall badass. also, your buffs last longer).

Solo
2008-05-04, 02:55 AM
Just put an 18 in wisdom and choose Power Attack as a feat. Buy a wand of healing, and make use of Divine Favor, Righteous Might, etc the good buffing spells.

See here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79430) for details on how to really take off.

NephandiMan
2008-05-04, 03:02 AM
Of course, if you want to make any fighters in the party obsolete, take Persistent Spell (found in the Complete Arcane), and, if you have at least fourteen turning attempts per day, you can use Divine Metamagic to make both Divine Power and Righteous Might last twenty-four hours each. +10 to Strength (including a six-point enhancement bonus, which make Strength-boosting magic items redundant), +2 to Con, +4 to grapple checks, your caster level in temporary HP, full Base Attack Bonus, and it lasts all farking day.

Ooooooh no, there goes To-ky-o...

axraelshelm
2008-05-04, 03:35 AM
Tibit cleric worship the cat lord. travel,trickery,chaos. meow! And prc? please your a cleric! you can do all the things fighters can and most of the things a wizard can and you have a decent ammount of hit points so pick a weapon already!

mabriss lethe
2008-05-04, 08:35 AM
My advice will probably sound like blasphemy, but I don't care. Unless you're playing a seriously twinked out power game with a group of likeminded individuals bent on being the biggest, baddest, MFs in the schoolyard, you and everyone else in the group will probably have more fun if you don't go the "CODzilla" route.

If you don't want to follow the Path of Cheese to the Gouda Life, there are other options. Clerics can be pretty spanking good no matter what you do with them. Though it's possible, it's pretty hard to design an ineffectual cleric.

Find an idea for a character you like and then just go from there. Maybe play around with the Domain feats and some extra turning. Screw around, make something interesting and just have some fun.

Paul H
2008-05-07, 01:06 PM
Hi

If you've got good Cha, aim for Sacred Healing feat at 6th lvl. Use Turning attempts to grant Fast Healing 3 to al living creatures within 60'. Extra Turning is good choice if you intend to use you Turn attempts a lot.

Craft Wondrous Item is good for creating those expensive items. The Cloak Cha +6/Periapt Wis +6 cost 36,000GP EACH. DMG suggests that you should be at least 13th level before you can buy both. However you can make them for half price plus some XP.

Running a cleric in home campaign (World's Largest Dungeon). Cleric of Llir, Domains Magic & Travel. (Free ID item, Dim Door, Fly, Teleport are all Domain spells). Take Spontaneous Domain for extra uses of these spells. Magic Domain allows you to use items as a Wizard.

Humans are good for the extra feat, Dwarves are just hard in any class. (Bonus to saves, poison, etc).

Most of all - enjoy yourself.

Cheers
Paul H

valadil
2008-05-07, 01:54 PM
Naturally, assuming you don't want to overshadow everybody and own everything (which clerics can do and I agree it to be efficient but many who play them actually like being the healer/buffer of others) but just be very powerful healer and buffer...

Play a human. Really unless you find a allowed race with wisdom bonus, I don't think any race has better benefits to cleric than the feat.

Look at the PrC Radiant Servant of Pelor in Complete Divine. It gets everything that a normal cleric gets AND bonuses to healing and turning. You want to aim there.

For feats, look into augmented healing (same book, +2 hp of healing per spell level) and divine spell power (your increased casterlevel also heals some extra in addition to being overall badass. also, your buffs last longer).

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Powergaming isn't quite so cheesy when you do it to aid the party instead of overshadow them. Healing qualifies

To make the ultimate healbot you'll definitely want the Radiant Servant. It'll automatically empower, then maximize, then empower and maximize your cure spells cast from the healing domain. Domain Spontaneity lets you burn a turning attempt to drop a memmed spell in favor of a domain spell. Take this with the healing domain and you'll be able to spend a turning attempt to get a maxed/empowered cure spell. It's nasty.

(Note that I'm not suggesting you play the ultimate healbot, but if you choose to do so, this is how you want to do it.)

Keld Denar
2008-05-07, 02:11 PM
If you want to go caster cleric, I'd suggest:

Human
Cleric6/RadiantServant5/SacredExorcist9 or
Cleric6/RadiantServant5/Contemplative1/SacredExorcist8

Domains
Sun (Reqired), choice of Good/Healing, Purification (bonus), Healing/Good/Glory

Feats
1 Augemented Healing
1 Extra Turning
3 Divine Ward (CDivine)
6 Craft Wonderous
9 Divine Spell Power
12 Craft Rod
15 Extend Spell
18 Quicken Spell

Focus on buffs, battlefield control, counterspelling, and removing status ailments, with emergeny healing when needed in combat. Buffs typically include Bless at low levels, and Prayer/Recitation at medium levels, and Righteous Wrath of the Faithful at higher levels. All day buffs like Greater Magic Weapon and Magic Vestaments are also nice starting about level 9-10. Battlefield control is slightly limited, but spells like Wall of Stone. Counterspelling is taken care of initially though the spell Battlemagic Perception from Hero's of Battle along with a prepped Dispel Magic, and later with that and a pair of Rings of Greater Counterspelling (DMGII).

Get a Bead of Karma as suggested, the +4 CL will be great when casting all day buffs like Magic Vestaments, GMW, and Hero's Feast. Divine Spell Power can get your CL even higher. On a good roll, with the right gear and feats it is possible for a level 9 cleric to hit CL 20 to give his whole party. That's really strong.

You want to score real browny points with your girlfriend? Cast Fires of Purity on her when she goes into combat. The bonus damage from it will make the fact that she's a monk suck a lot less, which is a good thing.

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-05-07, 09:10 PM
There are a few routes you could go...

1) CoDzilla. As others have said, DMM Persist + Divine Power + Rightous Might. Make the tanks cry.

2) Healbot. You want to take the PhB II variant Spontanious Domain (Healing). At first, it doesn't seem like much, you're trading spontanious cures for... spontanious cures. Until you see the 6th level slot, instead of Mass Cure Wounds, is Heal. Then slide into Radiant Servant of Pelor. Now here's the fun part: All your healing is spontanious healing domain spells, so every heal spell you cast is auto-empowered and maximized. Have fun.

3) BuffMaster. Using the DMM cheeze for the power of making the whole party nasty. DMM Chain + Buffing = whole party gets buffed to the 9's. Abuse this with Greater Magic Weapon, Magic Vestments (need to find a way to Reach this), Death Ward, Freedom of Movement (duration is short), and find a way to get Mind Blank as a domain spell (Protection domain works). The party is now immune to most save-or-screwed effects. And has saved millions of GP on only going +1 of xyz on their equipment, then ending up with +5 of xyz. Best of all, even if you DO run into a dispel-happy fellow, he's still likely to get chewed up while trying to debuff everyone, then you just redo your buffs, and keep going.

Keld Denar
2008-05-08, 06:39 AM
2) Healbot. You want to take the PhB II variant Spontanious Domain (Healing)....Then slide into Radiant Servant of Pelor. Now here's the fun part: All your healing is spontanious healing domain spells, so every heal spell you cast is auto-empowered and maximized. Have fun.

Its still heavily debated whether or not this works. The main issue here is the definition of a "domain spell" and how it interacts with a domain slot. Most DMs I know don't allow it. YMMV, ask your DM before you build for it.

3) BuffMaster. Using the DMM cheeze for the power of making the whole party nasty. DMM Chain + Buffing = whole party gets buffed to the 9's. Abuse this with Greater Magic Weapon, Magic Vestments (need to find a way to Reach this), Death Ward, Freedom of Movement (duration is short), and find a way to get Mind Blank as a domain spell (Protection domain works). The party is now immune to most save-or-screwed effects. And has saved millions of GP on only going +1 of xyz on their equipment, then ending up with +5 of xyz. Best of all, even if you DO run into a dispel-happy fellow, he's still likely to get chewed up while trying to debuff everyone, then you just redo your buffs, and keep going.
This is easily accomplished while still keeping a healing focus. CL shananagans typically associated with buffing also synergizes well with healing, and the feats and classes that excell at healing are also great for buffing. Example, Radiant Servant 5 grants a bonus domain, and one selectable is Purification, a very strong domain for buffing.

A caster-centric cleric can also toss out some strong control. Wall of Stone blocks line of effect and sight and at about level 10 can completely enclose a medium sized creature. This is useful for sealing off a caster from his or her melee support, walling off a nasty archer, or buying a round or 2 vs a dangerous melee type before they smash through it. A Quickened Silence + Wall of Stone is a very good way to tell an enemy caster to sit down and shut up.

Stone Shape is also great for utility. Its very useful in dungeons, since you can use it to simulate a Knock spell simply by moving the stone around the locking mechanism or hinges out of the way and pulling the door from the wall.

serok42
2008-05-08, 07:50 AM
Unless you are planning on being heavy into combat I would suggest playing the Cloistered Cleric (or Clizzard as my friend likes to say) variant from Unearthed Arcana. You get an extra domain and tons of skills.

I am currently playing a Dream Dwarf (Races of Stone) Cloistered Cleric / Radiant Servant of... (we are playing in a custom world where there is only one god and domains are granted to you by angels or demons depending on alignment)

It is a pretty fun character to play and I can heal like there is no tomorrow.

Divine Defiance (Tyrants of the 9 Hells) is a a good feat take. It lets you sack turn attempts to get an immediate (I think) action to counter a spell

Criz Reborn
2008-05-08, 10:10 AM
If you want to go caster cleric, I'd suggest:

Human
Cleric6/RadiantServant5/SacredExorcist9 or
Cleric6/RadiantServant5/Contemplative1/SacredExorcist8

Domains
Sun (Reqired), choice of Good/Healing, Purification (bonus), Healing/Good/Glory

Feats
1 Augemented Healing
1 Extra Turning
3 Divine Ward (CDivine)
6 Craft Wonderous
9 Divine Spell Power
12 Craft Rod
15 Extend Spell
18 Quicken Spell

What is the real benefit from Sacred exorcist? I was considering choosing Sun/Strength or Sun/Healing as domains. Whats the real point of healing domain? If I can spontaneously cast healing spells anyways, why even have healing spells as domain spells?

Keld Denar
2008-05-08, 10:59 AM
What is the real benefit from Sacred exorcist? I was considering choosing Sun/Strength or Sun/Healing as domains. Whats the real point of healing domain? If I can spontaneously cast healing spells anyways, why even have healing spells as domain spells?

The point of healing is to power the 2nd level RSoP ability. Its actually kind of a minor ability, but does provide a nice kicker, especially when you get to Mass Cure Light, because Empower multiplies the level dependant part of the spells as well as the die roll. Therefore, at level 9, you are healing (1d8+10) x1.5 (avg ~22) to all members, or with Augmented Healing (1d8+20) x1.5 (avg ~37). Thats pretty nice, but not vital.

As for why SE? Because going back to plain cleric or continuing as RSoP is boring. SE has some neat abilities, one of which is the permanant aura of Consecration, which is golden when you combine it with Divine Spell Power or the spell Turn Anathema since you have full turning from Cleric/RSoP/SE. The SLAs are kind of nice too....Dispel Evil, Holy Aura, etc. Think of them as an extra spell slots per day. Its just plain better than going back to plain cleric or continuing on with RSoP. You could alternatively go into Contemplative, but then you lose turning progression, if that is important to you. With a little investment, optimized turning garuntees you never have a problem with undead EVER again. The spell Turn Anathema also makes it so that you never have a problem with evil outsiders either. Those 2 are 2/4 of the strongest monster types in the game, so its a good thing.

Dragons and Abberations are the other 2, IMO, just in case anyone was curious.

For domains, I like Good over Strength. Granted, Strength has the spell Enlarge Person, but Good has Holy Smite, a large area disable (blind) and the +1 CL bump helps when you get access to Holy Word. With a little tweaking, you can do NASTY things with Holy Word. Divine Spell Power, Orange Iwin Stone, and a Bead of Karma from a Strand of Prayer Beads go a long way to raise your CL up to the point where Holy Word becomes LETHAL to anyone in your challenge range. Its a good thing.