PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With a Character

Farmer42
2008-05-04, 04:34 AM
I'm building a Changeling Factotum/Chameleon for a game and I was looking for some pointers. Relevant info: 10th Level, and my stats are 15, 13, 11, 15, 17, 18 in no particular order. I've never built a Chameleon before, so tips there would be much appreciated, such as should I worry about acquiring a spell book, if so what spells, besides Alter Self, should I look into that will make me a better spy. That sort of thing. Also, should I rush Chameleon, or take my time getting there from Factotum? Thanks in advance.

Nebo_
2008-05-04, 05:02 AM
Take Font of Inspiration for every feat.

FMArthur
2008-05-04, 12:18 PM
Choosing Chameleon levels VS Factotum levels is really up to preference. Chameleon is about being someone else for a day, and being pretty good at it. Factotum is about being prepared for things that you can't anticipate. Chameleon abilities, individually, are more powerful, but the Factotum can pump those things up at a moment's notice, so they work together pretty well at any ratio.

Int will help you give yourself those temporary boosts, help your Arcane Casting, and help you to be the ultimate skillmonkey both in # of ranks and from the addition of your Int modifier to all Dex/Str skills. Your Ability Boon will fill in your stats a little where needed, but you will be quite multi-ability-dependent as a Chameleon otherwise, so even though you will be focusing on versatiliy, your ability scores should be chosen based on the two Aptitude Foci that you plan to use the most.

Font of Inspiration is a pretty cheesy feat, because of how nastily it scales, but if you don't mind it then you'll get any number of options every battle. You'll generally only have something to spend them all on besides a nova'd Sneak Attack (spend any # of points for that # of SA dice) when you get the Factotum's Cunning Surge (extra standard action for 3 points) ability at 8th level, so if you do Font of Inspiration cheese you might want to just be a Factotum 10 or Factotum 8/ Chameleon 2.

For spells, you can buy a spellbook and spells (50gp * spell level per spell), or you can spend a normal feat on Scribe Scroll and your daily bonus feat on Extra Spell, so you can write it into your spellbook. There must be something I'm missing for this to be better than just spending the gold, since you're spending a feat to do it. Spells making you a better spy... well, you could focus on invisibility and sneakiness, but as a Changeling Factotum/Chameleon myself, I have a strong feeling that you'll have a lot more fun relying more on disguises and bluffing than sneaking. You have the skill points and the ability to give bonuses at crucial moments to pull it off consistently. I dumped Charisma and can still do it without a hitch!

But I've only been this character for a few levels (10-13) so far, so you should probably wait for a second opinion. It is a very popular race/class/prc combo.

Arbitrarity
2008-05-04, 12:54 PM
I recommend Factotum 5 (or 8)/Chameleon 10/(factotum 3 if you took 5 levels previously)/crusader 2.

Take a while to get extra spell with chameleon floating feat, so you have every arcane spell available. Get Aura of Perfect Order from crusader. Take FOI a lot. Pump intelligence most, followed by pretty much everything even, but probably wis>con>str/dex>str/dex>cha.

Obviously, casting foci are the strongest of the chameleon options. A tip: Aura of perfect order + improvisation + good hope + belt of magnificence + Ability boon (+ Brains>brawn, if str/dex) = massive ability checks.