PDA

View Full Version : Ninja question

Project_Mayhem
2008-05-04, 08:36 AM
Right, I'm playing a changeling ninja, lv 2, at the moment. My understanding of the rules suggests that Ghost step (invisibility) works the following way:

In my turn, I use a swift action to initiate the ability, turning me invisible, and therefore giving me +2 to hit and my sudden strike.

(So far so good I think.)

I remain invisible, therefore gaining 50% concealment until the start of my next round.

Now this is the part I'm not sure about. Not only does it seem very powerful, it also seems to make the later abilities Ki dodge and greater Ki dodge completely redundant.

Ki dodge suggests that I use a swift action, and gain 20% (later 50%) concealment until my next round, something already granted by Ghost step.

As no-one else seems to have noticed this, I assume that I'm reading one of the abilities wrong. This might be because I'm using the crystalkeep index to get the class details from - can anybody clarify this for me?

Thanks in advance.

Starbuck_II
2008-05-04, 08:41 AM
Right, I'm playing a changeling ninja, lv 2, at the moment. My understanding of the rules suggests that Ghost step (invisibility) works the following way:

In my turn, I use a swift action to initiate the ability, turning me invisible, and therefore giving me +2 to hit and my sudden strike.

I remain invisible, therefore gaining 50% concealment until the start of my next round.

Now this is the part I'm not sure about. Not only does it seem very powerful, it also seems to make the later abilities Ki dodge and greater Ki dodge completely redundant.

Ki dodge suggests that I use a swift action, and gain 20% (later 50%) concealment until my next round, something already granted by Ghost step.

As no-one else seems to have noticed this, I assume that I'm reading one of the abilities wrong. This might be because I'm using the crystalkeep index to get the class details from - can anybody clarify this for me?

Thanks in advance.

Customer service says that Ki Dodge is for those than can see invisibility.

Ghost Step is for those that can't see invisibility.

Personally I houserule Ki Dodge to match the fluff and be an immediate action. But yeah, as written till enemies see invisible creatures: use Ghost Step.

Project_Mayhem
2008-05-04, 08:53 AM
Ah, righto. I might steal that houserule if I can get it past the DM.

Thanks

Person_Man
2008-05-05, 11:11 AM

Close. But not quite. When you are Invisible (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Invisibility), you gain:

+2 to hit.

You ignore your enemy's Dex and Dodge bonuses to AC.

This qualifies you for Sudden Strike and/or Sneak Attack if your enemy is not immune to Precision Damage (like undead, plants, or constructs).

If your enemy wants to attack you, they have to locate your square.
Without a special ability/magic, this generally requires a high Listen check.
Alternatively, your enemy can guess your location. This is particularly troublesome, since your Invisibility only lasts for 1 round and your DM is omniscient. So Ninja should use Greater Manyshot (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Greater_Manyshot), so that he can Move and fire, so that your DM has little/no logical basis for the enemy to "guess" the square you're in. Alternatively, you can use a reach weapon and Evasive Reflexes (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060706a).
If your enemy pinpoints your location, they still suffer a 50% miss chance.
Since you have Concealment, you are also immune to extra damage from Favored Enemy, Sneak Attack, Sudden Strike, and Skirmish.

Starbuck_II is correct about Ki Dodge. As a house rule, I allow Ki Dodge/Greater Ki Dodge to be used as an Immediate action against any 1 attack (including area of effect attacks and attacks and other auto-hit magic) AFTER all results (hit roll, damage, saves) have been announced. This makes Ninja much more playable at mid-high levels, since pretty much anyone can get access to Blinking or Greater Invisibility every round by ECL 10ish, negating the Ninja's primary reason to exist.