PDA

View Full Version : Action Points: Limit Breaks/Overdrive

arkanis
2008-05-04, 06:37 PM
So I was again thinking of how heroes often time get a burst of energy whenever things come down to the wire. Instead of just flat action points granted to a character to use on a whim, I thought it would be nice to instead grant a character action points only relative to a current encounter.

Everytime a character is struck for damage or affected by a harmful spell or special ability by an enemy, they gain 1 action point. Zero damage or a successful save doesn't count.

These points accumulate up until the character chooses to use them.

Action points can be spent one at a time or all at a time as the character sees fit but cannot be saved fromone encounter to the next. Each action point spent can add a miscellaneous +1 to any one roll or every 5 action points spent can allow any one roll to be rerolled once (taking the higher roll).

Action points must be declared before the DM reveals the result of the roll. The DM must not tell the character what the DC or AC is before they roll although they may say "you're likely to get it" or "you're not likely to" based on the character's bonus to it.

Action points accumulate during an encounter but are all lost once the encounter ends and cannot be saved.

AugustNights
2008-05-04, 07:22 PM
Have you seen Zeta Kai's post "Final Fantasy: Limit Breaks (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54941)" ?

I think this may be something of what you are looking for.
Look into the Trance Limit break.