PDA

View Full Version : npc class/prestige class

Jayngfet
2008-05-04, 08:13 PM
Is it just me or does it seem like and adept can take levels in mystic theurge, I'm fairly sure they cas both arcane and divine spells, oh the possibilities.

Tengu
2008-05-04, 08:25 PM
Spells

An adept casts divine spells which are drawn from the adept spell list (see below). Like a cleric, an adept must choose and prepare her spells in advance. Unlike a cleric, an adept cannot spontaneously cast cure or inflict spells.

Thank you, come again.
http://academic.amc.edu.au/~amcsa/images/reps/07/apu.jpg

Nebo_
2008-05-04, 08:45 PM
Is it just me or does it seem like and adept can take levels in mystic theurge, I'm fairly sure they cas both arcane and divine spells, oh the possibilities.

Fail. Read the Adept before you post...

Jayngfet
2008-05-04, 09:01 PM
So it has a class feature normally devoted to arcane casters?

BRC
2008-05-04, 09:07 PM
If you are reffering to familiars? Yes, I guess it does.

Jimp
2008-05-04, 09:09 PM
How dare they. One is appalled.

Jayngfet
2008-05-04, 09:10 PM
The DMG also mentions that adepts mostly come from places unable to train wizards and clerics.

Thinker
2008-05-04, 09:18 PM
The DMG also mentions that adepts mostly come from places unable to train wizards and clerics.

Which has what to do with qualifying for mystic theurge? It clearly states how it casts. There is no ambiguity. A+ for effort, F- for execution.

Count Chumleigh
2008-05-04, 09:23 PM

No it does not. An Adept casts divine spells, and only divine spells. The fact that some of the spells on the Adept's spell list also appear on the spell lists of some arcane casters does not mean that the Adept casts "arcane spells." If this were the case, single-classed clerics and wizards would be able to take levels in Mystic Theurge, since bull's strength and bear's endurance--both second-level spells--are on each class's spell list.

Well, I suppose Adepts do share a certain class feature with certain arcane casters, if you're referring to familiars. Note, however, that having a familiar is not a requirement for Mystic Theurge. Nor do all arcane spellcasters have familiars. Bards don't.

However, an Adept can take levels in Mystic Theurge, provided the Adept can cast second-level arcane spells and satisfy all the other requirements. A fourth-level dragon Adept of sufficient age, for instance, would meet the spellcasting requirement.

Also, what benefits, exactly, do you suppose a single-classed Adept would get from taking levels in Mystic Theurge? In such a case, there would only be one spellcasting class to improve, and the Adept would even downgrade his current hit dice from a d6 to a d4. Could it be that you had imagined that, because Adepts can cast certain spells that appear on the spell lists of both arcane and divine spellcasters, taking levels in Mystic Theurge would grant the Adept twice the spells of another Adept? That just doesn't work, because Adepts only have one spell list, and those spells are classified exclusively as divine spells.

If you happen to have the Dragon Compendium, however, you should be able to find the "Savant" base class, which, unique to the best of my knowledge among base classes, has both an arcane and divine spell list. It would be counterproductive to multiclass into Mystic Theurge in such case, though, because the Savant has other class features in addition to its spellcasting.

Cheers,
--Count Chumleigh