PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting to 4e, the first time

rockdeworld
2008-05-05, 12:16 AM
I'm a relatively new player to DnD, so I'm shooting a question to all you older players out there: How do you adjust to a new DnD system?

Starsinger
2008-05-05, 12:18 AM
I think a rather important step is to try and think of it in its own terms and not try to learn it like it was the system you're used to and then the differences. I.e. Don't think of BAB as THAC0 but different, try and think of it on its own.

TheOOB
2008-05-05, 12:26 AM
Yup, just treat D&D 4e as a new system, not as a new version. Don't assume a rule is a the same unless you have read it, and don't try and compare it point for point to 3e.

holywhippet
2008-05-05, 01:39 AM
3.0 to 3.5 isn't such a huge leap. They added some stuff, removed some stuff and moved some stuff around. The core mechanics are still the same though - some people didn't even really notice when 3.5 arrived.

4.0 will have some similarities to 3.X, but by the looks of it a lot has changed.

Best bet is not to make any assumptions. Just read the PHB when it comes out and learn the new system from scratch.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-05-05, 08:30 AM
I'm a relatively new player to DnD, so I'm shooting a question to all you older players out there: How do you adjust to a new DnD system?

I don't comprehend the question, and I don't comprehend the attitude in more experienced players.

A new edition is a new game.* You "adjust" to it just like you would to any new game. Unless people seriously only ever play one tabletop RPG in their lives, I don't see how there can be any issue of "adjusting."

How to "adjust" to a new game:
1. Get game.
2. Read character creation rules and create a character.
3. Skim over the other rules.
4. Get your group together and create characters together.
5. Play. Expect first few sessions to be slow, with much referring back to the rulebooks.

* Expect, of course, 3.0 and 3.5. That wasn't a new edition - you can tell from how the number only went up by one-half. That's a heavily errata'ed old edition.