PDA

View Full Version : making a set of earring artifacts, evilness included

Allis
2008-05-05, 08:04 AM
Due to a random pirate thread here on the boards, I started thinking about earrings. I want my parties to have a set of earrings. I am Dm ing two parties now, who will eventually combine. I want them to each find half of a set of earrings. worn without the otherone, the one earring is cursed, but worn together, they are usefull.

The parties will be up against loads of undead, so it would be good if the earrings would do something against that. Or maybe grant an extra save against mind-tricks (there will be mindtricks). How about a minor curse on each? What is hampering but not paralysing a character? I want it to be worth something, have them try it on.

I need them to know it is magical, yet not know the full potential. What schools of magic do I include?

jcsw
2008-05-05, 08:22 AM
I just got reminded of the Fusion Earrings from Dragon Ball Z Oo
---
Try Major Ear Swelling causing deafness while the Wearer remains convinced he can still hear and does not hear his party member's attempts to tell him otherwise. He begins receiving false auditory cues such as failing all listen checks but hearing enemies that aren't really there.

Funkyodor
2008-05-05, 08:32 AM
How about Stentch of a Sailor. Players wearing only one earring create a stentch to wake the dead. Causes penalties to any interactive skill used against someone not used to rotting odors. Makes it harder to hide without anyone noticing the awful reek coming from the wearer. Bonus for any creature using scent skills like tracking, etcetera.

Maybe an invisibility to Undead effect x/day. Scarab of protection versus level draining/death effects. And the feat Iron Will? And/Or you could go the historical route (piercing the ears supossedly improved eyesight) and have a see invisible/arcane sight.

When both earrings are worn together then either the stentch goes away or maybe it causes the invisibility to undead effect continuously and improves the see invisible/arcane sight to true seeing. Or something like a ringing when Undead are in the area.

Telonius
2008-05-05, 12:01 PM
Curse idea: Wearing one earring creates an Illusion effect of being a female pink-haired 80s punk rocker.

More serious curse idea: the earring draws blood if inserted, causing 2 CON damage. If both earrings are inserted, the CON damage is negated, but the living blood fuels some anti-undead effect.