PDA

View Full Version : 4e GSL Legal Question

Asmodeus
2008-05-05, 03:38 PM
How will the GSL affect these forums, if at all?

Right now, you've got several 3.x games going on in the gaming section of the forum. When 4e comes out, there will undoubtedly be people who want to play 4e games there too. But there is some clause about how you can't have both versions going at once.

Does this affect the games on the forums at all?

Zherog
2008-05-05, 04:15 PM
Doesn't affect it at all. The games (and discussions) that take place here and other places are done outside the scope of the licenses.

EvilElitest
2008-05-05, 04:47 PM
How will the GSL affect these forums, if at all?

Right now, you've got several 3.x games going on in the gaming section of the forum. When 4e comes out, there will undoubtedly be people who want to play 4e games there too. But there is some clause about how you can't have both versions going at once.

Does this affect the games on the forums at all?

i doubt it, but wait, didn't you have a different avatar? Or am i thinking of Lord Asmodeus? And waht is this about godhood? 4E?
from
EE

Mando Knight
2008-05-05, 05:22 PM
But there is some clause about how you can't have both versions going at once.

I don't think so... I don't think that discussions or games are considered "products" covered by either license.

Even so, there isn't a clause (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4news/20080502) in there that you can't publish both 3.x and 4e products at the same time, but you won't be able to do so in the same product. Two separate, yet rather similar products, yes (WotC is doing it themselves by re-releasing their products under the 4e rules...).

Asmodeus
2008-05-05, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

i doubt it, but wait, didn't you have a different avatar? Or am i thinking of Lord Asmodeus? And waht is this about godhood? 4E?
from
EE

Aside from the default red sorcerer, I've always had this avatar. You must be thinking of someone else.

And yes, the godhood counter is set for 4e, when Asmodeus goes from being Lord of the Devils to God of the Nine Hells.

Gorbash Kazdar
2008-05-05, 06:08 PM
Ongoing PbP games will not be affected, homebrew material for the most part will not either (in the case of the occasional project that the creators intend to publish, it will be up to the creators to make sure it fits into the appropriate licensing system).