PDA

View Full Version : Question

Enlong
2008-05-05, 04:28 PM
Attention: If you are in my gaming group, read no further

OK, so I want to make a Dry Lich as the BBEG in my campagin (expanding the waste, drying up kingdoms, etc., but I'm not sure what base class to give him: Druid or Cleric?
Also, if I do choose Cleric, which god to follow? I can't seem to find one that really fits out of the Sandstorm pantheon.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-05, 04:29 PM
Question: Having searched through ALL the gods available, not just from Sandstorm, haven't you found anything good? Not even Vecna?

Solo
2008-05-05, 04:31 PM
Attention: If you are in my gaming group, read no further

OK, so I want to make a Dry Lich as the BBEG in my campagin (expanding the waste, drying up kingdoms, etc., but I'm not sure what base class to give him: Druid or Cleric?
Also, if I do choose Cleric, which god to follow? I can't seem to find one that really fits out of the Sandstorm pantheon.

Check the link in my sig named "Solo".

AKA_Bait
2008-05-05, 04:32 PM
Also, strictly speaking, a cleric can worship an ideal or concept, so you don't need a god.

On the other side, just make one up that has all the characteristics that you want it to. You as the DM aren't bound by WotC's cosmology.

Enlong
2008-05-05, 04:34 PM
Question: Having searched through ALL the gods available, not just from Sandstorm, haven't you found anything good? Not even Vecna?

Well... I kind of want him to either have Thirst or Sand as a domain. The only god with Thirst in Sandstorm was Azul, a rain god. Not the best one for an Asheriti Dry Lich.

Also, Solo? Awesome. Can I get a write-up on those domain spells?

Edit:

AKA, that is a good idea. An Asheriti would view a desert that spans the world as a very powerful ideal.
Or, I could just make up some vengeful, power-hungry God that wishes for the waste to spread, and for the living to suffer. Or something like that.

Honestly? I kind of want Cleric because I'm not sure I could reasonably make a druid quite that fanatical.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-05, 04:38 PM
Short answer: Make one.

Long Answer: Homebrew one. You're a DM, chrissakes. You don't need to follow the books like a lost dog. In fact, it's very unimportant except for the domains, anyway. Your players will not even know unless you want that to be a focus. So why bother looking up a god? Just write Thirst and Sand on the sheet and be done with it.

Solo
2008-05-05, 04:39 PM
Also, Solo? Awesome. Can I get a write-up on those domain spells?

Which domains are you looking at?

Rad
2008-05-05, 04:39 PM
What about a Blighter? It's a PrC in Complete Divine IIRC and would fit thematically.

DementedFellow
2008-05-05, 04:43 PM
Enjoy my fellow Sandstorm fan. (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=693624)

With this build you can achieve...
Bat-like wings and fly speed of 60ft(ave maneuverability)
Damage reduction 9/good
Damage reduction 10/magic and bludgeoning
Fast healing 2(in arid environment)
undead immunities
immunity to cold
immunity to fire
resistance 10 to acid, electricty
Spell Resistance 25

It requires a few books and depends heavily on DMM, but through an early abuse of RAW you can become a walker in the waste at a much earlier level than you might think.

Enlong
2008-05-05, 04:45 PM
Which domains are you looking at?Awesome, and Sarcasm.

Short answer: Make one.

Long Answer: Homebrew one. You're a DM, chrissakes. You don't need to follow the books like a lost dog. In fact, it's very unimportant except for the domains, anyway. Your players will not even know unless you want that to be a focus. So why bother looking up a god? Just write Thirst and Sand on the sheet and be done with it.

Bagh. You're right. I'll just make a god for him. Making the god is fun, 'cause it lets my BBEG spout big lines about his devotion to the "purity of the desert", or how he's his god's "avatar of wrath", or something like that.

Sorry, first time DMing, so I've yet to truly understand that most crucial of points: I'm DM, so I can do what I want.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-05, 04:50 PM
Yeah, good idea. Once you have the time, you should take the rites of passage and craft a few classes and feats, too. 'Cause nothing says "I'm damn good and you should worship me for my domains of Supreme and awesome, bitches!" like good homebrews.

Enlong
2008-05-05, 04:55 PM
Yeah, good idea. Once you have the time, you should take the rites of passage and craft a few classes and feats, too. 'Cause nothing says "I'm damn good and you should worship me for my domains of Supreme and awesome, bitches!" like good homebrews.
Yes.
Though I'll have to pass on Awesome. Don't want to incur the wrath of Solo.

Also: Holy #$% is Mr. IcyHot insane! I have access to all the material, but I'm a little scared to throw all that awesome against my players.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-05, 04:58 PM
You know, you could just batman him and he'd be scarier.

Enlong
2008-05-05, 04:59 PM
You know, you could just batman him and he'd be scarier.

He's using Divine magic, so that'd be CoDzilla.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-05, 05:02 PM
Nah, clerics can still be Batman, just with a different flavor. Slightly weaker, but hey, if Anyspell can get solid fog, it's still a scary Batman.

Solo
2008-05-05, 05:10 PM
Sarcasm Domain:

Granted Power: You may use your cutting tongue, rapier wit, and biting sarcasm to shatter someone's ego. As a standard action, you may give up a turning attempt to force a target to make a will save equal to 10 + half your caster level + your Wisdom modifier. On a failed save, the target is frightened for a number of rounds equal to half your caster level. If he succeeds, he is merely shaken. This is a Supernatural mind affecting ability. It only works on people who can understand your language and have an Int of higher than 3.

Domain Spells:

1. Produce Sarcasm - People are stunned by your sarcasm. Functions as Color Spray, but a sonic attack
2. Sculpt Sarcasm - Your sarcasm gets an attitude and starts hurting people. Functions as Spiritual Weapon, but deals Sonic damage
3. Wave of Sarcasm - All those caught withing a 60 ft cone must make a will save or be nauseated by your sarcasm
4. Sarcastic Smite - Your sarcasm delivers a b*tch slap to your enemies.Functions as Flame Strike, but sonic
5. Dispel Sarcasm - Counters sonic based attacks
6. Sarcastic Barrier - Your sarcasm prevents foes from passing. Blade Barrier, but Sonic damage instead of Fire damage
7. Word of Sarcasm - Your word of sarcasm is enough to shake the earth. Functions as Earthquake
8. Sarcastic Aura - You are so sarcastic that people around you are at danger of dying from an overdose of saracm. Functions as Implosion.
9. Mass Sarcasm

Awesome Domain:

Granted Power: You may be Awesome once per day. Activation is a standard action. For a number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier, you gain a number of action points (here by referred to as Awesome Points) equal to your charisma modifier.

Domain Spells:

1. Awesome Touch - Works like Divine Favor, but touch range
2. Continual Awesome - Give you +2 inherent bonus to one stat for 24 hours.
3. Visage of Awesome, Lesser - Functions as Visage of the Deity, Lesser
4. Awesome Sauce - You conjure an ointment that functions like Restoration.
5. Bestow Awesome - Functions as Stoneskin
6. Visage of Awesome - Functions as Visage of the Deity
7. Major Awesome - You overpower an enemy with Awesome. Functions as Holy Word.
8. Polymorph Any Awesome - Functions as PaO
9. Visage of Awesome, Greater - Functions as Visage of the Deity, Greater.

DementedFellow
2008-05-05, 05:15 PM
Also: Holy #$% is Mr. IcyHot insane! I have access to all the material, but I'm a little scared to throw all that awesome against my players.

I'm glad you like it. I'm thinking of throwing him against my group one day. I'll let them kill off the mindflayer threat and then kill them good.

Gorbash
2008-05-05, 05:19 PM

Pelor, because he is, as we all know a god of skin cancer, sun burns, thirst and burning agony (http://forum.zaister.de/viewtopic.php?id=5).

Enlong
2008-05-05, 06:29 PM
I'm glad you like it. I'm thinking of throwing him against my group one day. I'll let them kill off the mindflayer threat and then kill them good.

Yeah. I'm... scared that they'll blast me for using such a piece of awesome. Methinks I'll make him operate in the shadows, and then make him Mr. Icyhot or not depending on their relative level of ownage.

I mean, seriously, is there any feasable non-cheese way to fight this guy?!

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-05, 06:35 PM
AMF and a ToBBer or FoI factotum. Proceed to pwn.

Alternatively, Batman wizard.

Enlong
2008-05-05, 06:40 PM
AMF and a ToBBer or FoI factotum. Proceed to pwn.

Alternatively, Batman wizard.

Right. I'll see what they do and then build him to match.

FoI? Elaborate on the Acronym, please.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-05, 06:46 PM
Font of Inspiration. A feat that adds extra Inspiration points to a Factotum, which are his lifeblood.

A Factotum is the ultimate jack of all trades. He can pick ANY skill, has limited casting, and can add his level (Or INT, I'm forgetting) to his AC, AB, and damage, and can also use four IP to take an extra standard action.

As for the Tome of Battle...those guys just do damage. Loads of it.

Enlong
2008-05-05, 07:03 PM
Ah. OK.
One final question. If the PCs are starting at level 10, what level should my BBEG be at the start, to be a powerful foe throughout the campaign.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-05, 08:15 PM
If you're gonna play him smart, same level. If you're going to pull punches a bit, two levels. Adjust by one per optimized party member above four guys.

Adjust by two for Batman Wizards, CoDzillas, well made ToBBer's, or FoI factotums.

Enlong
2008-05-05, 10:21 PM
Got it. Also, now that I've looked him over, Mr. Icyhot is awesome, but not invincible. You're right, by the way. One AMF and all he's got is resistances and SandSwim. But I do so enjoy the build, and he will make a great BBEG.

Right. If several levels above (6 or so people), then it'll be even cooler as the PCs perhaps watch the guy evolve from local threat to absolute undead menace.

Dannoth
2008-05-06, 03:36 PM
Base it on his actions:

Raising dead - Cleric
Unhallowing land - Cleric
Desicrating holy shires - Cleric

Drying up rivers - Druid
Encouraging treants to destroy farm lands - Druid
Using Beasts as Cohorts - Druid

When all else fails .... multiclass ftw!