PDA

View Full Version : The Golem of Golems!

FMArthur
2008-05-05, 05:17 PM
Literally a golem made out of smaller golems. :smallbiggrin:
It's essentially a ton of tiny-sized golems that can come together to form larger golems, so it'll require that I figure out how to make charts. Because the concept involves the merging and splitting of various numbers of creatures, it's complicated by nature and it can't reduce down beyond a certain degree of complication or the idea doesn't work.

Since Golems themselves are immune to magic, these golems are specially made to be able to fit together and work together to form single golems mechanically, rather than magically.

The Golem Golem

{table=head] | Gargantuan Assembly Golem| Huge Assembly Golem | Large Assembly Golem
Hit Dice: | 83d10 (457 HP)| 29d10 (160 HP)| 11d10 (61 HP)
Initiative: | -2| -2| -1
Speed: | 20ft| 20ft| 20ft
Armor Class: | 28 (-4 size, -2 Dex, + 24 natural), touch 6, flat-footed 28| 26 (-2 size, -2 Dex, + 20 natural), touch 6, flat-footed 26| 26 (-1 size, -1 Dex, + 18 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 26
Base Attack/Grapple: | +16/+45| +12/+31| +8/+21
Attack: | Slam +29 melee (4d10+17)| Slam +23 melee (3d10+11)| Slam +16 melee (2d10+9)
Full Attack: | 2 Slams +29 melee (4d10+17)| 2 Slams +23 melee (3d10+11)| 2 Slams +16 melee (2d10+9)
Space/Reach: | 20ft/20ft| 15ft/15ft| 10ft/10ft
Special Attacks: |Golem Assembly, Golem Disassembly|Golem Assembly, Golem Disassembly |Golem Assembly, Golem Disassembly
Special Qualities: | Construct traits, damage reduction 18/adamantine, darkvision 60ft, immunity to magic, low-light vision, Collective Assembly Golem Awareness| Construct traits, damage reduction 14/adamantine, darkvision 60ft, immunity to magic, low-light vision, Collective Assembly Golem Awareness| Construct traits, damage reduction 10/adamantine, darkvision 60ft, immunity to magic, low-light vision, Collective Assembly Golem Awareness
Saves: | Fort +28, Ref +26, Will +28| Fort +10, Ref +8, Will +10| Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +4
Abilities: | Str 44, Dex 6, Con -, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 1| Str 36, Dex 6, Con -, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 1| Str 28, Dex 8, Con -, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 1
Skills: | -| -| -
Feats: | -| -| -
Environment: | Any| Any| Any
Organization: | Solitary| Solitary or trio| Solitary or gang (2-4)
Challenge Rating: | 16| 13| 9
Treasure: | None| None| None
Advancement: | -| -| -
Level Adjustment | -| -| -[/table]

{table=head] | Medium Assembly Golem| Small Assembly Golem| Tiny Assembly Golem
Hit Dice: | 5d10 (28 HP)| 3d10 (17 HP)| 2d10 (11 HP)
Initiative: | 0| +1| +2
Speed: | 20ft| 20ft| 20ft
Armor Class: | 22 (+12 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 22| 17 (+1 size, +1 dex, +5 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 16| 15 (+2 size, +2 dex, +1 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: | +6/+11| +4/+3| +2/-5
Attack: | Slam +11 melee (2d8+5)| Slam +8 melee (2d6+3)| Slam +5 melee (1d10+1)
Full Attack: | 2 Slams +11 melee (2d8+5)| 2 Slams +8 melee (2d6+3)| 2 Slams +5 melee (1d10+1)
Space/Reach: | 5ft/5ft| 5ft/5ft| 2.5ft/0ft
Special Attacks: |Golem Assembly, Golem Disassembly|Golem Assembly, Golem Disassembly|Golem Assembly, Golem Disassembly
Special Qualities: | Construct traits, damage reduction 7/adamantine, darkvision 60ft, immunity to magic, low-light vision, Collective Assembly Golem Awareness| Construct traits, damage reduction 4/adamantine, darkvision 60ft, immunity to magic, low-light vision, Collective Assembly Golem Awareness| Construct traits, damage reduction 2/adamantine, darkvision 60ft, immunity to magic, low-light vision, Collective Assembly Golem Awareness
Saves: | Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2| Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +1| Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +1
Abilities: | Str 20, Dex 10, Con -, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 1| Str 16, Dex 12, Con -, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 1| Str 12, Dex 14, Con -, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 1
Skills: | -| -| -
Feats: | -| -| -
Environment: | Any| Any| Any
Organization: | Solitary to gang (3-5)| trios or gang (4-8)| trios or mob (4-16)
Challenge Rating: | 6| 4| 3
Treasure: | None| None| None
Advancement: | -| -| -
Level Adjustment | -| -| -[/table]

Golem Assembly (Ex): As a standard action, an assembly golem may combine itself with any other assembly golem within its reach. The assembly golem using this action is then part of its target and cannot act individually unless removed via the target assembly golem using Golem Disassembly.
An assembly golem has 2HD plus 1 HD for every 3 Tiny assembly golems, 1HD for every Small assembly golem, 3HD for every Medium assembly golem, 9HD for every Large assembly golem, 27HD for every Huge assembly golem, and 81HD for every Gargantuan assembly golem that is attached to it. Add the user of this ability's current HP minus 11 (and add 6 HP for every 3 Tiny) to the recipient golem's Hit Point total and current HP, and when passing size benchmarks refer to the tables and add to those values beyond that.
An assembly golem's size is equal to the largest size of listed assembly golem whose Hit Dice it meets or exceeds.

Golem Disassembly (Ex): As a move action, an assembly golem may detach any number of other assembly golems of any size less than itself within its reach, as long as there is enough space within reach for the detached golem. Assembly golems so detached provoke attacks of opportunity from enemies threatening spaces they are detached into, but the user of this ability does not. Detached assembly golems' initiative takes place right before the original's next turn, in the order they were detached.
As part of this ability, the user may freely redistribute damage it has taken to assembly golems it drops, which start at the normal Hit Points for their size otherwise. Detaching assembly golems causes the user to lose Hit Points and reduce its Hit Point total by the normal Hit Point total for the size of assembly golem dropped minus 11 and then gains any damage redistributed from itself to the new assembly golem. The user loses 6 Hit Points and 6 from its Hit Point total for every 3 Tiny assembly golems it drops.
The user's Hit Dice become 2HD plus 1 HD for every 3 Tiny assembly golems, 1HD for every Small assembly golem, 3HD for every Medium assembly golem, 9HD for every Large assembly golem, 27HD for every Huge assembly golem. An assembly golem's size is equal to the largest size of listed assembly golem whose Hit Dice it meets or exceeds.

Collective Assembly Golem Awareness: All assembly golems from the same creator are aware of everything that any other assembly golem is aware of, regardless of distance. If commanded to do so, assembly golems can respond to threats to other assembly golems in the area and work together to accomplish a goal set for them by their master.

[Refer to Monster Manual Golem entries for descriptions of the rest of the assembly golem's abilities - common to any golem]

Assembly golems are generally given more complicated tasks than other golems. They are still mindless, but can obey very complicated commands and remember them indefinitely, but don't learn or adapt.

Anyway, that's all I have. I know there are things that are wrong, miscalculated or misplaced in this; it's my first time making a monster in readable format (I hope :smalleek:), so I would greatly appreciate if people would point these things out to me. I did read the monster part of this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313), and it was unbelieveably helpful for me (I didn't even know where to get that information, I was so lost), so I am aware that it didn't get correct BAB and bonus Construct hit points, but those things messed a little bit with the way that assembly golems scale, one making significant jumps in Hit Point total bad for fluidly-scaling additions, and the other making the increase in HD more devastating than it should be.

Also, any suggestions on a name? "Assembly Golem" is a bit tame sounding, it's more of a placeholder than a real name.

Edit 1: Minor corrections
Edit 2: Clarified the initiative order of golems just detached from others, and organized the tables into two groups of three.

EvilElitest
2008-05-05, 05:20 PM
oh nice i remember this

Also what does the FMA in your name stand for?
from
EE

Saint Nil
2008-05-05, 05:20 PM
WOw, thats pretty impresive. I've heard about ideas like this, but never actually worked out how to make one.

Nice job

FMArthur
2008-05-05, 09:13 PM
oh nice i remember this

Also what does the FMA in your name stand for?
from
EE

When I first registered on a forum like 8 years ago, when I was 12, I thought it'd be a cool idea to be called "Flaming Monkey". I've kept a lot of friends I made then, so even though I prefer to be called by my first name (Arthur), I tack on the FM to be identified by those people, and now I just use it everywhere for simplicity.

On topic:
This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79663) is the topic that this one is derived from, for those curious. I've only decided since then that Diminutive golems couldn't work as a system for scaling golems to match normal golems eventually, so Diminutives were removed.

Anyway, one of the points brought up in the original thread was the serious danger of a horde of magic-immune creatures, so I'd just like to address that real quick. The idea behind this is that an encounter with, say, a Large assembly golem does not reduce the challenge rating (the CR is given individually, but it should really be based on the largest size of golem that can be formed and then added to from there) if it breaks into Tiny creatures, but that they can form and reform easily. I tried to compensate by giving them relatively weak attacks further down, so that a party of appropriate level for one of the higher CR golems would be more difficult for smaller golems to hit, losing a bit of the swarm-advantage and encouraging the use of bigger transformations. At the moment, I kinda doubt that such a balance has been struck yet, but it's the objective. A Large golem should be the equivalent of 27 Tiny golems, for this to work, and it's not looking like it. DR, AC, attack bonus and weapon damage are all up, but I don't know the normal party's average AC at every level or anything, so it's mostly just by eye.

FlyMolo
2008-05-05, 09:45 PM
This is quite possibly the best thing I've ever seen. You, FMArthur, get a prestigious bookmarking into my homebrew folder.

Although, the math is kind of off. I mean, this is a hard idea, and you've done a great job, but it's written a bit confusingly.

FMArthur
2008-05-05, 09:55 PM
Can you please be more specific? Any corrections you could make would be most appreciated. :smallsmile: