PDA

View Full Version : Okami

Volug
2008-05-05, 06:00 PM
Must... Start... Okami thread...

Yes, as you may know this thread is about Okami (Yes, wikipedia page has spoilers) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okami). The PS2 and the Wii version. I personally prefer the Wii version... You can say which one you prefer, but I would like it if we didn't get into a huge arguement, as many a thread on other forums about that started to flame one another.

I like the wii version more personally because I have no trouble what-so-ever with any of the controls, drawing with the celestial brush, and attacking, etc. Drawing is also MUCH better and funner to do then on the PS2, I think it's a bit more forgiving if you mess up as well >_>
I've heard of some glitches... But never ran into a single one, and I have about... 80-100 hours (Yes, I do) on the game.

Sorry if I seem "fan-boyish" here, but... This is the best game I have ever played. It's everything I really wanted in a game in an actual game. And you play a wolf/goddess, I think the wolf part is awesome, since games now days are pretty much kill everything shot zombies blahblahblahblah (some games aren't though). I pretty much know for a fact I won't find anything better then this game. Love it to pieces.

I'm on my third playthrough, (very minor spoiler) using the Shiranui (sp?) costume. On my second I used realistic Ammy costume.(end spoiler) On my first playthrough I was stunned about how good this game was and fell in love with it by the time I was 20 minutes into the game. Graphics are unique in their own way, and very nice to look at. The game is also VERY long, I would have been able to beat it in about... 25-27 hours on my first try, but messed around collecting alot of praise before the last boss so I was about 40 hours.

That sticker and IGN watermark on the wii cover is annoying however... Good thing Capcom is offering a free cover replacement (don't have link). And have 3 to choose from. Their still total jerks for taking out the credits:smallannoyed: I just youtubed it though...

Anyone else like this...? I'm going to try and get all stray beads on this playthrough, then I'll try to do a speed run.:smallbiggrin:

Terraoblivion
2008-05-05, 06:29 PM
Okami is in my opinion the best proof ever that visual quality is not based on the graphics technology, but in fact on the quality of the graphics design. The cell-shaded graphics in the style of traditional Japanese wood prints makes this game the most beautiful game i have ever played.

The very focus of style of the game also appeals strongly to me. The very real sense in which you cure the ills of the land and makes that which is ugly beautiful, that which is disturbing serene is one of the most wonderful and soothing experiences i have tried. Doing things such as this is a much more satisfying experience than most you achieve in games whether classic or modern. You truly see how your actions makes the world better.

And of course there is the whole quirky cast of strange villagers, shapeshifting Ainos and dancing mermaids. However, i find that these interest me less than the wonderful areas and Ammy's very fluid canine movements. The game is just so very beautiful and has a good gameplay to back it up and i love it completely, more than any other game i have ever played.

I have never tried the Wii version though as i don't want to pay for a game i already own. I am glad to hear that it is good as that means that a lot of people who did not get to try the PS2 version gets another chance trying this wonderful game, one that i expect will be on the list of greatest Wii titles towards the end of that consoles life despite how it is a port.

Jimorian
2008-05-05, 07:58 PM
Any fans of Okami might be interested to know that deviantArt and the game publisher are holding a contest for fan art.

Details on that contest here (http://news.deviantart.com/article/46598/).

If you just want to browse the entries, go here (http://browse.deviantart.com/projects/contests/2008/okami/).

Though I think the time for entries has passed, and they're about to announce the winners.

A friend of mine has some entries, is why I know about it. :smallsmile:

Hzurr
2008-05-05, 10:01 PM
I've heard enough good things about it, that I'm strongly thinking about getting it on the Wii. I never had a PS2, so I had never really thought about it, but everyone I've spoken to who has played it has said amazing things.

poleboy
2008-05-06, 05:42 PM
I really want to play it, but every review of the wii version I've read complain about terrible control. I'll probably get the PS2 version since it's a lot cheaper.

Volug
2008-05-06, 05:48 PM
The only "Terrible" control is the dodging with the nunchuck. It works only like... half the time if that. It's not needed at all though, you can skip it.
But it's not really usefull even if it was working good >_>
Everything else is smooth, painting is easyier, and I personally have a better time with the waggle for attacking in my opinion >_> I've had no problems.
And the complaining, I've heard about people whining about the games constant freezing and freezing at every battle 3 minutes or longer. This is complete crap, I had a battle about... an Hour long (Spoilers so won't say what) and I've had no complications... None at all in fact.

Reviews mean nothing, it's basically some other opinions, which just about all I disagree with. Though some people handle some games better then others... Like me sucking at FPS not on the wii (I'm like the only person I know who likes Red Steel).

If you don't like the waggle, go ahead and go with the PS2... But good luck finding it... Otherwise, if your still on the fence. Rent the wii version first and see if you like it or not. Every single game I've had doubts about with reviews, ment nothing after I played the game. It talked about problems and I found none... So... Yeah:smallbiggrin:

Eakin
2008-05-06, 11:02 PM
Ah yes, Okami. The game that's a better Zelda than Zelda.

I prefer the PS2 version, which doesn't mean much since it's the only one I've played. :smallsmile:

Only annoying part was having to fight that one boss three times.

I don't actually own it. Got it from gamefly and kept it for three weeks to finish it all, but I'd say it's worth owning.

Besides the rock solid game play, engaging storyline, and compelling mechanics, the game's greatest strength might just be that the graphics are future proof. Being beautiful because of art design instead of polygon count means not looking back on it in a few years and rolling our eyes at how ugly games were back then.

If you haven't played it, go find it and do so. You won't regret it.

Khanderas
2008-05-07, 01:17 AM
I got nothing to add, except the above opinions are right.
(I use the PS2 one, no experience with the Wii one)

Nervanon
2008-05-09, 07:52 PM
I've played the Wii and the PS2 Version, and I have to say it is the worst thing that i have ever experienced. The graphics, in my opinion, suck. The story is overly long and dull, and the controls are hard to use and are very glitchy Masato. I think that out of ten, i would probably give it a 2.

Plus I hate wolves

Vuzzmop
2008-05-09, 08:11 PM
@ Nervanon: I find your obvious aggression towards this game to be rather unfounded. Each to their own, I suppose, but look at it this way: I could make a very decent argument against the playing of "Generic FPS III", but not towards a game which in my opinion, does a very admirable thing; it pushes boundaries. No other game has ever done what Okami did.

It seems that your argument stems from
a) lacking understanding of the point, and
b) being bad at the game.

I get it, some people just don't like originality, but really? "the worst thing that i have ever experienced"? what games have you been playing? No, let me guess, unoriginal, non-genre pushing games involving the shooting of people and the making of things to go boom:smallsigh:. Sorry if I sound fan-boyish, it isn't the best game I have played, but it is certainly one of the most impressive.

I agree with you on the "I hate wolves" thing, but I don't know if it can really form part of a rational argument towards the dislike of a game.

EvilElitest
2008-05-09, 08:18 PM
I wish more games would stop wasting time with graphics and focus on plot and cool ideas the way this game did. Yeah Japan, and specifically Final Fantasy, i'm looking at you
from
EE

Vuzzmop
2008-05-09, 08:25 PM
Thankyou EE.

Death to the chocobos and girly men!

EvilElitest
2008-05-09, 08:26 PM
Thankyou EE.

Death to the chocobos and girly men!

and freaking wangsty characters. yeah tidus, stop whining
from
EE

Tengu
2008-05-09, 08:50 PM
Hey, FF12 is almost as good as Okami. As far as you can compare games from such different genres.

Dorizzit
2008-05-09, 09:10 PM
I actually just got the game today (wii version), and I have to say I am very impressed. The graphics are breathtaking, and the plotline so far has been interesting. The only complaint I have so far is that I can't easily do Slash, which is extremely annoying. Still, I'm greatly enjoying the game.

Volug
2008-05-09, 09:15 PM
@Dorizzit: Holding "Z" works ALOT with drawing straight lines. Another hint is if you let go of the "A" button WHILE you are drawing the slash will help, so there isn't a hook at the end of the line. And the key is to go fast, practice on objects around you.
Eventually, you'll draw faster and straighter lines then you normally could by holding "Z".

Also, the only thing I can't get to work (Besides dodging, DON'T buy it) is the thunder bolt you have to draw after you get the thunder ability and finish a side quest. Apparently people everyone had this problem, even on the PS2 version.

Dorizzit
2008-05-09, 09:16 PM
Hm...thanks for the advice.

EvilElitest
2008-05-09, 09:18 PM
Hey, FF12 is almost as good as Okami. As far as you can compare games from such different genres.

oh sorry, i actually rather like ff12, i think it is an impoverishment. the people who brought us 10 (shudder) have moved to Lost Odessy, which i'm still playing and waiting to be impressed.
I hate the grind, why don't the Eastern gamers jsut look at western games for a little inspiration
from
EE

Volug
2008-05-09, 09:22 PM
No problem.

*Also bumps thread back on topic*

Airk
2008-05-12, 09:58 AM
I can't believe no one has mentioned the -music- yet! It's brilliant and evocative and very closely interwoven with the visual style of the game.

While I understand that there are some people out there who won't like this game, in much the same sense that I understand there are some people out there who don't like chocolate, or waffles, I absolutely cannot understand why. ;)

(I "prefer" the PS2 version, because I have a PS2 and I don't have a Wii. ;) )

This title is, absolutely, another feather in the cap for the theory that -art- produces better looking games than realism.

You owe it to yourself to play this game. :)

Airk
2008-05-12, 10:00 AM
Erg. I even -checked- to see if that first post went through. *grumble*

Dorizzit
2008-05-12, 04:09 PM
Can anyone tell me what I need to do in the shrine in the windmill village? I have all of the Power Orbs and I got the key, but I don't know what to do for the big room with the symbol on the floor. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? If so, do they know what to do?

Volug
2008-05-12, 04:43 PM
Sorry... I'm not positivly sure. Are you in the giant windmill?:smallconfused:

Yes, I love the music. I purchased the soundtrack yesterday:smallsmile:

Also... This game was origenally going to have realistic graphics, it can be seen from the theater (Gift's from Issun) as one of the old introductions. And of course, one of the costumes.

Dorizzit
2008-05-12, 06:16 PM
Let me see if I can be more detailed...

I gathered all the Canine Warriors in the village, then I went and got orbs from the other three. After getting all of the Orbs from the shrine maiden, I went into the cave and broke the barrier near the ghost. I entered a chamber with two exits and a large pool of water with treasure chests at the bottom. I then fought a Demon Gate and got a key. I went to the right and fought a demon gate, which gave me a key. I went back to the first chamber and went through the other doorway, which led to some wooden platforms over a chasm, with windmills built into the bridges. Walking past these, I entered a large, circular chamber with a large circular structure in the middle. The structure was locked. I opened it with the key. I entered the structure and the camera panned back to show a large symbol on the floor. When examining the symbol, Issun said they saw it somewhere else. Now I don't now what to do.

EvilElitest
2008-05-12, 06:18 PM
Sorry... I'm not positivly sure. Are you in the giant windmill?:smallconfused:

Yes, I love the music. I purchased the soundtrack yesterday:smallsmile:

Also... This game was origenally going to have realistic graphics, it can be seen from the theater (Gift's from Issun) as one of the old introductions. And of course, one of the costumes.

I don't mind the change, but i can't help but wonder why
from
EE

endoperez
2008-05-12, 06:40 PM
I don't mind the change, but i can't help but wonder why

Because it looked better. I'd imagine it was changed very early in the development, because the brush function is an important gameplay element which doesn't work nearly as well with realistic graphics

Volug
2008-05-12, 07:00 PM
@Dorizzit: Look at the symbol at the center of the circular area where the camera zooms out... What does it remind you of?:smallwink:
If you want me to flat out tell you, then look at the spoiler... Just ruins the fun though:smalltongue:
make a bomb on the center symbol, and the "elevator" will shoot up. There are 3 levels, do the second floor first.

Yeah, it would be better with the graphics it had now, it fits perfectly with all the game mechanics:smalltongue:

Also... Beat it for the 3rd time, I did it in 15 hours... (This is on new game+)
The only side quests I did were ones required to get the optional brush techniques (Inferno for example).

EvilElitest
2008-05-12, 07:07 PM
Because it looked better. I'd imagine it was changed very early in the development, because the brush function is an important gameplay element which doesn't work nearly as well with realistic graphics

well certainly worked for them, so power to them and more games like it
from
EE

Dorizzit
2008-05-12, 07:40 PM
Funny, I tried that and it didn't work. I must have missed.

Volug
2008-05-17, 08:03 PM
Got the Okami soundtrack in the mail today!

.... That's alot of songs...

Dorizzit
2008-05-17, 09:17 PM
Gah! I hate the friggin' Moon Cave! I couldn't find the origin mirror until after I finished getting all of the ingredients...man, I feel stupid.

Volug
2008-05-17, 11:45 PM
Moon cave is a great dungeon... But you'd be surprised that it only gets SO much better from there.

Dorizzit
2008-05-18, 06:39 AM
I'll admit that. Using the Fire Wheel to put out the Ice Wheel is extremely satisfying.

Tom_Violence
2008-05-18, 07:48 AM
Just wanna throw in my 2 cents here as well.

I have to say that I think this is by far one of the best games I've played in a very long time. Not only is the art, as mentioned, truly superb (genuinely earning the title of 'art'), but the gameplay itself is absolutely stellar as well. The controls are not only simple and intuitive but inventive and interesting in and of themselves. The plot and characters are great fun, the locations well designed, and even the minigames are enjoyable! It was also a great bonding experience between me and my girlfriend, and that's always worth a mention too. :smallbiggrin:

So yes, everyone should get it, immediately. Its one of those games that deserves to make an awful lot of money, even if only so that innovative games are encouraged.

Terraoblivion
2008-05-18, 02:28 PM
Unfortunately it is unlikely to. The PS2 version sold 300,000 copies which is good, but unimpressive and not enough for it to actually make a profit. That might change with the Wii port, but even so it was not succesful enough to encourage other developers to make games like it...unfortunately.

There was a total of one thing about it that wasn't absolutely wonderful and that is the moonspeak that NPCs use when talking. It makes you a bit weary after around twenty hours. But that is it.

As for whether the game is better or worse before and after the Moon Cave i think that the three different main areas with their three different feels are impossible to rate against each other. They are all wonderfully depicted and realized to evoke the feeling and mood of them, whether desolate frozen Kamui or the lively, cosmopolitan imperial city. Really the game is just an example of everything that can be good about video games.

[Insert Neat Username Here]
2008-05-18, 09:10 PM
I got the Wii version last week. It's probably the best game I've played.

That said, there are a few minor issues with figuring out what you're drawing -- I've often run out of ink because the game kept misinterpreting a command and doing the wrong thing.

Volug
2008-05-18, 09:13 PM
I'd have to disagree with your first statement somewhat, Terra. As the word is being spread by MANY people and it is selling quite well at the moment.
You never know though, it'll probably sell better then the PS2 if the word keeps getting spread.

I'd use praise to mostly get more Ink pots if I were you, and the golden ink pot is nice.
I never had the game mistake a command for something else... Unless I try to draw a circle around a villager to get them to pet ammy or turn them into their dog/wolf counter-part (Oina), sometimes it'll just cover them in ink. That's it though.

Tengu
2008-05-19, 12:05 AM
There was a total of one thing about it that wasn't absolutely wonderful and that is the moonspeak that NPCs use when talking. It makes you a bit weary after around twenty hours. But that is it.

I like it. On a good day I can pull off an almost perfect Issun.

Dorizzit
2008-05-19, 05:36 AM
I never had the game mistake a command for something else... Unless I try to draw a circle around a villager to get them to pet ammy or turn them into their dog/wolf counter-part (Oina), sometimes it'll just cover them in ink. That's it though.

Sometime, try using greensprout on a tree against the sky.

hanzo66
2008-05-19, 06:33 AM
Okami is an awesome game. Anyone saying otherwise is obviously a heretic and must be purged, yadda yadda yadda, standard procedure.

One particularly weird thing is the Final Boss...

Why is it that Yami is some fish fetus inside a mecha-orb? I think it's stated that Yami is the god of Darkness and Technology or something. Might have something to do with it. That and Nechku/Lechku being robo owl-pimps.

Volug
2008-05-19, 06:44 AM
Sometime, try using greensprout on a tree against the sky.

Done it billions of times. I've never had it happen to me where it makes the sun.
Call me crazy... But it didn't...

Dorizzit
2008-05-19, 07:10 AM
Lucky.....

Terraoblivion
2008-05-19, 10:41 AM
Oh, don't get me wrong. The moonspeak is a lot better than most bad voice acting. Just it does grow a bit tiring for me after listening to it for too long. Typically around the end of Western Nippon it grows too much. It is just too samey for longterm enjoyment for me. But i have to hear your Issun one day, Tengu. Issun is the most awesome man in a bughat ever.

Dorizzit
2008-05-19, 02:43 PM
Just got shrunk down...Issun actually looks pretty cool. That was a nice touch.

Corlindale
2008-05-19, 04:16 PM
I love Okami. An excellent, huge game with very few minor flaws.

I'm not gonna repeat all the praise already mentioned in this thread, but I gotta say that one of the most impressive things about the game, for me, was the wide range of emotions it managed to convey. While there are many other great games out there, there are few that can lay claim to that.
Okami has made me laugh out loud (tons of funny characters, with the highlights being Issun and Susano), it has made me genuinely scared (ghost ship, huge spiders..), it has made me awe-struck (cleansing the lands, epic dungeons and landscapes), and while it has not actually made me cry, it has certainly been the videogame that has made me come closest.
It is a game that on one occasion even manages to make the player feel empathy for a piece of paper, how can one possibly argue with that?

There are only a few flaws to be found in this epic adventure. It can be said that it might be a tad on the easy side, especially with the ability to carry tons of holy bones and use them at will - compared to a game like Zelda with encounters of similar difficulty, but with steep limits to the number of potions one can carry.

That's a minor issue, however. This game certainly deserves a revival with the Wii edition coming out, hopefully it will sell well.
It might have a better chance for succes on the Wii, since the PS2 was already on the way out when it first arrived, and the competion on the Wii is furthermore less harsh, as there are nowhere near as many, or as good, games for that console..yet. Got the PS2-version myself, but I'll get it for Wii eventually - there are preciously few other games I would be willing to buy twice, but Okami is probably worth it.

Volug
2008-05-26, 04:41 PM
Mid-game spoilers
Tobi... Geez, this game knows how to bring out life in ANY character, even the imps (Moon Cave).
He was a great character, even though he was only there momentarily. Heck, I was surprised I cared about that slip of paper.

End-game spoilers.... Don't look if you haven't beaten the game. You'll only hurt yourself, and if you still look without beating the game... Well, lets not go there, as you'll probably ruin the best game scene known to man.
The scene I'm speaking of is right before you fight Yami's final form.... I cried... I even cry or get quite emotional every other time I see it.
It's amazing, I'm glad I didn't look up spoilers.

Dorizzit
2008-05-26, 04:49 PM
I just beat the game. It was amazing. Of course, I sort of cheated because I just got ninety nine Holy Bones (max) and sixty some Exorcism Slip L's before the battle and just blasted him with with them. Interesting fact: Exorcism Slips not only deal redonkulous amounts of damage, but they also bypass the defenses of most bosses.

Innis Cabal
2008-05-26, 05:25 PM
Best game for the PS2 hands down, idk how it will do on the Wii, not to fond of the system myself.

Rogue 7
2008-05-26, 09:57 PM
Boyo, this game is jumping up my list of "games to buy", surpassing several DS games. Can't wait to play it!

Terraoblivion
2008-05-26, 10:20 PM
You shouldn't wait, Rogue. You should head out and buy it this moment...actually you should find some way to travel back in time to buy it before this moment. Every positive bit said about it in this thread is entirely accurate. The only reason i have not been gushing more over it is to avoid sounding like the obsessed fangirl that i am.

Rogue 7
2008-05-26, 10:36 PM
Gonna have to wait for my paycheck.

Atheon
2008-06-03, 07:58 AM
this game is simply amazing. with its artistic graphics, creative gameplay, and storyline full of refrences to chinese mythology. I'm not trying to sound like a fan boy but I loved the game and I'm planning buying it for the Wii. (I played the PS2 version)

Terraoblivion
2008-06-03, 11:22 AM
The references are to Japanese mythology and folk tales though, but other than that everything you said was entirely correct.

Volug
2008-06-03, 09:01 PM
I've got a more serious issue.... I'm sure all of you have noticed that this game has made us laugh, cry (It made me cry... And I'm not ashamed to admit it), and give us immense enjoyment. Okami is also good and making EVERY character come to life, Like...
The Imps at Moon Cave
And Tobi....

Though my point is much more deep... Not only did this game leave me in awe all 7 times I completed it, but it has effected me in real life.

Read on if you dare...
I want to bloom trees....
In real life.

I can't walk anywhere without seeing a dead plant and/or tree! I feel so compelled to draw a circle around it so it will bloom. And I don't even relize how stupid that sounds. This isn't just a minor thing, heck, it's more then major. It actually seems quite normal, just painting circles on trees so they'll bloom... I do it every 3 seconds in Okami.
But hey, might as well go with it.

*Picks up paint brush* Let us go and paint circles on tree's!

(Link (http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=943732&topic=43467031) to the gamefaqs thread this was copyed from. And yes, I did make that thread.))

Volug
2008-06-12, 08:54 PM
Sorry for double post, but awhile ago I was listening to my Okami soundtrack and found... A awesome song hiding at the end of the last track on the last disc.

I youtubed it, and found it.
Enjoy, fast forward to 1:55 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=21ecZOBNM70)

Also, on youtube I'll be taking requests to uploading some songs ^_^

Lyesmith
2008-06-13, 01:22 AM
Woo! It's out on Wii here today, so when i get back from my final exam, my copy should (hopefully) be waiting for me.:smallbiggrin:

Volug
2008-06-13, 09:19 PM
If you need any help, I'll be glad to assist!

Also, I submitted a review of Okami to gamefaqs.com
If they allow it (They should) then I'll post the link here:smalltongue:

hobbes543
2008-06-13, 10:41 PM
I just got it for Wii earlier this week, but due to a unusually busy social schedule in the evenings this week, I was only able to play for about an hour so far. I must say I enjoyed that first hour and hope to play more this weekend.

Volug
2008-06-17, 06:29 PM
My review was taken:tongue:

I have the same username, it's the third one.

Link (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/wii/review/943732.html)

Lyesmith
2008-06-19, 02:59 AM
I completed it!
Truly a wonderful, wonderful game.
I shall be going back for more, mark my words!
And MasatoHyuga, do you have the track for the spoilered scene before the bossfight that made you weep? The music (as well as the atmosphere said scene set) was fantastic.

Volug
2008-06-19, 05:11 PM
I have every track so you know:tongue:

It's called Reset (Thank you). And you should see the credits, the song that plays there is called Reset... So it's quite similar.
Youtube the credits, it's worth it to watch it.

Also, to those that haven't seen that scene... Don't listen to the song(s) before you see them! Seeing the scenes as well as hearing the music for the first time is just a moment that cannot be done again. Even though it still makes me cry :biggring:

Bleh, now to try to find a way to change format on windows movie maker...:annoyed:

Got it, I'm uploading it right now:smallbiggrin:

DON'T listen to this until you beat Okami!!!!!! You'll just ruin it for yourself :wink:
LINK (http://youtube.com/watch?v=IRx9gnY0Mp0)

CarpeGuitarrem
2008-06-20, 12:36 AM
Haven't played it, but I know a guy who's played it, and loves it. I've seen it played, and it looks like an incredible game. The calligraphy brush is ingenious, and I love the cel animation-style graphics.