PDA

View Full Version : Happy Cinco De Mayo!

Raiser Blade
2008-05-05, 07:36 PM
I've been eating lots of food (Al Pastor taco's FTW!) and going to several parties. What are you guys doing to celebrate?

EvilElitest
2008-05-05, 07:37 PM
Why is this such a big hollady and not the Mexican independence day?
from
EE

Raiser Blade
2008-05-05, 07:43 PM
Why is this such a big hollady and not the Mexican independence day?
from
EE

This thread is for talking about how you are celebrating Cinco de Mayo. I would rather not derail the thread with discussion about the merits of the holiday.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-05-05, 07:48 PM
Other than not knowing what on earth the Cinco De Mayo is, I coincedentally had burritos today.

mm burritos.

Oh, and I speak enough spanish to now what it means, just not what it is.

Do i get mayonaisse?

Raiser Blade
2008-05-05, 07:50 PM
Other than not knowing what on earth the Cinco De Mayo is, I coincedentally had burritos today.

mm burritos.

Oh, and I speak enough spanish to now what it means, just not what it is.

Do i get mayonaisse?

Read and be enlightened. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinco_de_mayo

Jae
2008-05-05, 07:56 PM
lol im not celebrating. but a ton of kids at my school got all dressed up and wore mexican flags and stuff (likewise, some people went around wearing american flags which was pretty funny)

I dont really have a problem with nationality pride stuff like that but for some reason it bugged me :smallconfused:
i think because if I got all dressed for, lets say, june 10th or something, I'd just be thought of as out of place and wierd.

so idk.

DraPrime
2008-05-05, 07:56 PM
And this is why I gorged myself on Mexican food today. The best part is that it was all free. One of my friend's family owns a Mexican restaurant, so I get free food there.

Haruki-kun
2008-05-05, 08:02 PM
Yay! Cinco de Mayo! W00T!

And now for Cinco de Mayo I get to...... study for a test on SocioEconomics. :smallsigh:

I wants mah TACOS!!!! :smallcool:

Oh, and actually.... Burritos were invented in the US. :smalltongue:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-05-05, 08:53 PM
They're still stereotypically mexican.

FdL
2008-05-05, 09:09 PM
Sure, but one of those inaccurate stereotypes.

To be honest, I don't see why people celebrate this outside Mexico. Well, besides Mexican immigrants.

At any rate, we don't celebrate that here in Argentina. At all, not many people would know what that is.

If I may, I kinda dislike when it's automatically assumed that the readership of these forums has to be from USA. Pet peeve of mine, pay no mind.

PhantomFox
2008-05-05, 09:21 PM
Is this the day we sink things in mayo? Yum. :smallbiggrin:

Yoritomo Himeko
2008-05-05, 09:37 PM

To be honest, I don't see why people celebrate this outside Mexico. Well, besides Mexican immigrants.

I don't know about other countries but here in the USA.

I think it has someone to do with the fact that there is a growing population of Mexicans here in the USA. So naturally, there bringing some of their culture with them.

It's no different than people celebrating St. Patrick's day outside of Ireland. The Irish simply brought some of their beliefs over here.

And of course, some people just like to celebrate holidays. :smallsmile:

At any rate, we don't celebrate that here in Argentina. At all, not many people would know what that is.

If I may, I kinda dislike when it's automatically assumed that the readership of these forums has to be from USA. Pet peeve of mine, pay no mind.

As for celebrating the holiday, I'm just listening to Mexican music. I can't eat Mexican food, as it is way too spicy for my stomach.

Hope everyone enjoys the day, whether they celebrate it or not. :smallsmile:

Happy Cinco de Mayo everyone!

Haruki-kun
2008-05-05, 09:38 PM

Well, to be honest, I always assumed that people in the US who celebrated it were immigrants, but I'm not one to tell people who to celebrate. I mean we have Halloween here, and that's not even our tradition.

And yes, it is an inaccurate Stereotype. I think they're from Texas or California.

EDIT: Well, there is a Mexican related dish, but it's different from the one known outside Mexico.

Icewalker
2008-05-05, 10:15 PM
No no no, this is the day of mourning when the first mass shipment of mayonnaise was destroyed in the Gulf of Mexico. Sad day...

:smallbiggrin:

tyckspoon
2008-05-05, 10:19 PM

A) Mexican immigration diffusing into the general US cultural knowledge
and
B) It's an excuse for a party, so why the heck not.

We also celebrate St. Patrick's and Oktoberfest, despite not being either Ireland or Germany.

FdL
2008-05-05, 10:46 PM
Now, celebration of cultural diversity is something positive. When it's real, that is.
I have no idea about 5 de Mayo in the US in general, but with the "adopted" celebrations here like St. Patrick's day, I get the impression that it's mostly an excuse to get drunk. Personally I can't respect that, sorry.

If we take this very thread as a testament of what this celebration means to people, you can see what I mean.

tyckspoon
2008-05-05, 10:51 PM
I get the impression that it's mostly an excuse to get drunk. Personally I can't respect that, sorry.

If we take this very thread as a testament of what this celebration means to people, you can see what I mean.

Frankly the US's native holidays are mostly treated as an excuse to get drunk too. We don't treat Cinco de Mayo with much more or less respect than we treat our own Independence Day. You could think of that as a negative aspect of US culture, I guess; personally I feel any cause for people getting together and enjoying each other's presence is a good thing.

Raiser Blade
2008-05-06, 12:36 AM
Now, celebration of cultural diversity is something positive. When it's real, that is.
I have no idea about 5 de Mayo in the US in general, but with the "adopted" celebrations here like St. Patrick's day, I get the impression that it's mostly an excuse to get drunk. Personally I can't respect that, sorry.

Most holidays serve as a good excuse to get drunk. I fail to see why that should be a problem.

Also please note what I posted earlier.

This thread is for talking about how you are celebrating Cinco de Mayo. I would rather not derail the thread with discussion about the merits of the holiday.

Skippy
2008-05-06, 07:34 AM
You know what's funny about Cinco de Mayo outside Mexico? That they celebrate it.

Over here, it's only an official party, so people in the government (and most people in their usual life) get the day off. On Cinco de Mayo there is no family celebration or anything important, for most of us.

I'm da Rogue!
2008-05-06, 08:24 AM
Well, people that are immigrants usually celebrate stuff like this more than their folks back home, because you know, they're in another country and it's a chance to say "We're here too".

The Greeks I've met in the States were so much.. proud about being Greeks and all, that they were a bit annoying.
More than us here, if that's possible.:smalltongue:

So, I can totally understand Mexican people celebrating it outside Mexico.

Happy Cinco de Mayo from me too.:smallcool:

Dallas-Dakota
2008-05-06, 08:30 AM
The only people I would know of that'd celebrate is are the mexicans and the Mexican immigrants.

And the australians. They will try and use every oppertunity to party and get drunk.

Vaynor
2008-05-06, 09:11 AM
You know what's funny about Cinco de Mayo outside Mexico? That they celebrate it.

Over here, it's only an official party, so people in the government (and most people in their usual life) get the day off. On Cinco de Mayo there is no family celebration or anything important, for most of us.

I thought that was interesting, it's only really a holiday in the states that border Mexico, and even then just barely.

It's no different than people celebrating St. Patrick's day outside of Ireland. The Irish simply brought some of their beliefs over here.

Also, my Irish friend says that when he went to Ireland last year, he asked them if they celebrated St. Patrick's Day, and they said it really wasn't a big deal over there. I might be wrong though...

FdL
2008-05-06, 05:32 PM
Also please note what I posted earlier.

I see. I apologise for that.

In any case, we don't celebrate Cinco de Mayo here in Argentina.