PDA

View Full Version : Feat and Spells Help please

TheLogman
2008-05-05, 08:29 PM
I'm building a Red Mage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10756), and I've made some basic choices already. As per the character of well, the character, I'd like him to be fairly optimized, but not overpoweredly so, in terms of spells and feats. He's basically a bard, but with no bardic music, more spell selection, and some other powers. The rest of the party is a Blaster/Fighter Gish, and a Ranger/Tank, so I'd like him to be the Party face, sorta a skill monkey (Both taken care of), do healing and buffing, and overall support.

So far, he's got:

0th level

Detect Magic
Light
Guidance
Mage Hand
Prestidigitation
Dancing Lights
Cure Minor Wounds

1st level

Mage Armor
Color Spray
Feather Fall
Cure light wounds
Bless

2nd level

Cure Moderate Wounds
Bull's Strength
Cat's Grace
Glitterdustf

Spell and Feat help much appreciated. Spells from Cleric or Wizard spell lists, only Players HandBook please, Feats may be from anywhere.

The Sandman
2008-05-05, 09:24 PM
Eagle's Splendor. Dimension Door. Alter Self.

Chronos
2008-05-05, 09:39 PM
This is a prepared caster, so there's no limit to his spells known (other than the gold to scribe them into his spellbook character sheet), right?

The obvious omissions, to my eye:

Illusions, including Silent Image, Minor Image, Major Image, Disguise Self, Invisibility, Mirror Image, Blur, and Displacement.

Alter Self. This one may or may not have been omitted deliberately; it can be incredibly cheesy. But everyone sets their personal line for "cheesy" in a different place.

Grease and Web. Both are good low-level Ref save battlefield control.

Enlarge/Reduce Person. The former is a great buff for the party's meatshield, while the latter is a great buff for the party's skillmonkey (and spellcasters, to a lesser extent).

FlyMolo
2008-05-05, 09:56 PM
Flip through the spell compendium. There is win in there.

Because you have wizard and cleric spell lists available to you, you can do any damn thing you want.

TheLogman
2008-05-06, 05:34 AM
Those are some nice Wizard spells, what of Cleric spells? Am I missing any buffs/battlefield controls from there?

Kizara
2008-05-06, 05:46 AM
Those are some nice Wizard spells, what of Cleric spells? Am I missing any buffs/battlefield controls from there?

Divine Favor and ethier Shield of Faith or Protection from Evil (the latter being better at lower levels).

Also don't bother with Bull's Strength and Cat's Grace. Pick one combat type (such as melee) and cast that buff. And then cast Endurance. Everyone loves more hp.

Also, Silence owns. It's basically an AMF for people that need V components. Good for sneaking too.

Oh, and don't forget Knock on your wiz spells. I sure hope you didn't put ranks in open lock, since this spell makes that skill utterly frivilous.

TheLogman
2008-05-06, 02:08 PM
Okay, thanks for the spell help you guys, now I need feats. Some metamagic would be nice for spellcasting, but since I get spells per day as a Bard, I can't cast spells above 2nd level, and since I only get 2 2nd level spells per day, I dunno if metamagic would be worth it.

So, what feats should I take? I get 3.

Solo
2008-05-06, 03:35 PM
Be sure to take the feat "Stat-swap".

TheLogman
2008-05-06, 04:07 PM
That's actually my fourth-level class ability, I don't have to take that as a feat.

As of right now, I'm taking Skill Focus (Knowledge (Decorative Cake frosting)), Improved Initiative, and Eschew Materials, which seems about right.

Solo
2008-05-06, 04:12 PM
Don't forget to make vigorous use of the Animal Husbandry skill.

TheLogman
2008-05-06, 04:19 PM
I would, but I'm not really sure what ability modifies it. Is it like Handle Animal or what?

tarbrush
2008-05-06, 05:04 PM
Doesn't matter. There is no problem that cannot be overcome with imaginative and vigourous use of the animal husbandry skill.

And generally I find extend and sculpt spell pretty awesome as far as metamagic go.