2008-05-05, 08:51 PM
"You'll have to find a way to travel back in time before my Junior Prom."

Amazing. Keep up the Good work Giant.

aapje
Hehe, gotta love that orc priest hat :smallbiggrin:

North
Took me two reads to figure out he meant Banjo not Haley. I had to go back and see the puppet to realize it. Also heh, at the Liens comments.

silverarrows
2008-05-05, 08:52 PM
Nice...
Return of Banjo the Clown! :smallbiggrin:

Jayngfet
2008-05-05, 08:53 PM
V's a jerk.

doctordestiny
2008-05-05, 08:53 PM
Haha Junior Prom. And I wonder what kind of experiments V has in mind? She seemed to be going kind of cuckoo.

SlightlyEvil
2008-05-05, 08:55 PM
Good one, Lien seems like a character with a lot of potential. Also, I hope V gets more character development soon than "I haven't slept and I'm crabby about it.

Remirach
2008-05-05, 08:59 PM
I hope y'all are prepared for a thousand "what's V's alignment?" threads 'cause this is definitely throwing fuel on that fire. Just let her die, you can raise her, it's not my problem.

Retief
2008-05-05, 09:01 PM
Great comic-classic Elan.

malakim2099
2008-05-05, 09:02 PM
Nah, Lien's not a ho. She was just a teenager before she got her paladin calling.

Though V's behavior is somewhat surprising to me, considering the effort he put forth on behalf of Azure City during the battle. Not a change for the better, nor really one for the good of the Stick.

Mauve Shirt
2008-05-05, 09:04 PM
:smallbiggrin: We won't leave TWO of our own behind again!!!

I hope y'all are prepared for a thousand "what's V's alignment?" threads 'cause this is definitely throwing fuel on that fire. Just let her die, you can raise her, it's not my problem.

*sigh* So true

LordVader
Another great comic, and great to see Banjo back! Some great dialogue, too. Well done, Giant! :smallsmile:

stsasser
Witness the wisdom of Banjo!

DanShive
2008-05-05, 09:05 PM
V needs some spa treatment, STAT.

fractal
2008-05-05, 09:07 PM
I've always thought that that was V's alignment. Vaarsuvius has never gone particularly out of his/her way to help people, note the dirt farmers.

Regarding Lien, I'm not sure why she wouldn't run away. It's not like she has any particular reason to be attached to Banjo.

Speaking of Banjo, this human sacrifice definitely gives the puppet a darker tinge. I mean, who would ever expect that a toy clown wanted to kill people? I guess they're Orthodox Banjoists.

Chazzie
2008-05-05, 09:09 PM
Well, elves don't sleep, remember? And I have no idea if they get cranky from not trancing...

I think it's more to do with being away from Haley for so long. V's feeling lost since he only really connected with her and maybe Roy. He's also let his vanity go because of it as well. I feel bad for him.

HUMVEE Driver
2008-05-05, 09:10 PM
Finally! This truly has been just what I think they needed. I can't believe it! The characters are acting just as they should, and this story is
running as it should. Something in the far back of my mind are the very silly predictions spouted by the Oracle. I assume they will all come
true, but have any come true already?

Personally, I'm still kinda idlely wondering what happened the Linear Guild, and who can forget Helga? (I think tha was 'er name) They’ll be in the
game again. (Dwarf speak intentional) They will refill their depleted ranks, even if it means more OoTS clones.

Aurorax
2008-05-05, 09:11 PM
At least Elan has his priorities straight. I mean, you have to save the god first, right?

Yendor
2008-05-05, 09:11 PM
All work and no rest make Vaarsuvius go crazy.

Morgan Wick
2008-05-05, 09:12 PM
Interesting. Not only are Haley, Celia, and Belkar growing apart, not only are those three separated from V, Elan, and Durkon, not only is Roy dead, but now V's obsession on finding Haley is separating him/her from Durkon and Elan. Roy may return to find the OOTS together but in shambles.

Szilard
2008-05-05, 09:13 PM
That was a good comic.

Blaznak
2008-05-05, 09:13 PM
Its great that a stick figure is going to draw a line in the sand...

Alex Warlorn
2008-05-05, 09:14 PM
First one to punch V' in the back of the head gets a nice shinny copper piece.

This elf is True Neutral in it's purest form.

Also, this is why love should not be expressed in it's purest form until AFTER marriage.

dogmac
2008-05-05, 09:18 PM
V....

Stop it V. You are my favourite character. But right now, you are being a jerk. Stop it, or else V!!

Poor Lien. Don't you hate it when your mother is right?

Jonathan327
2008-05-05, 09:18 PM
...so if Banjo could pull off the minor shock on Roy when only Elan followed him, with a full tribe behind him...think he might actually end up in Odin's Pantheon?

silvadel
2008-05-05, 09:19 PM
Uhoh -- V -- watch out -- that path leads to the dark side.

Ruduen
2008-05-05, 09:22 PM
And now, the Banjoists get more commandments. Or, something.

Still, V's going to be off doing research while the people who have to make the plans are...

Does anybody know Daigo's Intellegence? I think that's probably the best chance that the group will come up with a usable plan. Otherwise... yikes.

Timberboar
2008-05-05, 09:24 PM
As a proponent of the turtle-in-a-cage theory, I find myself disappointed.

Forum Explorer
2008-05-05, 09:25 PM
Why is Elan not worthy of being a priest of Banjo?

Is it his normal skin color? :smalltongue:

RandomEncounter
2008-05-05, 09:27 PM
Wow, wouldn't have guessed Lien to be the hostage. this begs the question though, were is Hinjo during all this.

commie comrade
2008-05-05, 09:36 PM
What is it with named azurite paladins and getting captured?

First Miko is captured by Xylon, then O-Chul is captured by Xylon (technically, Monster-san), then, Thanh gets "dominated" by Tsukiko, and now Lien is captured by the orc tribes! The only other living named paladin is Hijo, I think... I wonder if/when he'll get captured. :smalltongue:

silvadel
2008-05-05, 09:39 PM
Not being able to retreat makes capture a much more likely proposition when overmatched.

Mad Scientist
2008-05-05, 09:40 PM
I was wondering what branch of "Banjoism" the orcs followed. Appears they are orthodox. How did they learn about Banjo? Missionaries?

fractal
So, does the witch doctor's Banjo-suit date from before or after the liberation of Banjo from the humans?

Remirach
I've always thought that that was V's alignment. Vaarsuvius has never gone particularly out of his/her way to help people, note the dirt farmers.

Personally I've thought she's either Lawful Neutral or True Neutral, but there have been those who argue for Good on the basis of her being affected by the Unholy Blight (and not notably LESS affected by it than her teammates, saving Durkon who got it the worst) and being considered "pure hearted" enough to activate the Air Sigil. Plus with the dirt farmers she did eventually help out (albeit with extreme reluctance) and expressed sympathy, at least. Here she not only refuses point-blank to help poor Lien, she's completely callous to her plight.

What is it with named azurite paladins and getting captured?

First Miko is captured by Xylon, then O-Chul is captured by Xylon (technically, Monster-san), then, Thanh gets "dominated" by Tsukiko, and now Lien is captured by the orc tribes! The only other living named paladin is Hijo*, I think... I wonder if/when he'll get captured. :smalltongue:

Haha! And don't forget that Redcloak expressed disgust with himself for NOT capturing Hinjo when he had the chance.

xyzzy
2008-05-05, 09:43 PM
Ha! Banjo is a playa!

Another benefit of following his ways.

shylocxs
2008-05-05, 09:51 PM
V's a stinky head.

But yay for Banjo! All hail the mighty Banjo!

MythicFox
2008-05-05, 09:53 PM
I suspect this is all somehow Belkar's fault.

Draco Dracul
2008-05-05, 09:54 PM
Regarding Lien, I'm not sure why she wouldn't run away. It's not like she has any particular reason to be attached to Banjo.

Palidins lack fear, so they have no "Flight" (as in fight or flight) mechenism.

Morgan Wick
2008-05-05, 09:59 PM
Personally I've thought she's either Lawful Neutral or True Neutral, but there have been those who argue for Good on the basis of her being affected by the Unholy Blight (and not notably LESS affected by it than her teammates, saving Durkon who got it the worst) and being considered "pure hearted" enough to activate the Air Sigil. Plus with the dirt farmers she did eventually help out (albeit with extreme reluctance) and expressed sympathy, at least. Here she not only refuses point-blank to help poor Lien, she's completely callous to her plight.

I'd say probably Neutral Good... he/she's certainly less Lawful than the paladins or even Roy.

omgpeachsnapple
2008-05-05, 10:01 PM
I suspect this is all somehow Belkar's fault.

Wouldn't surprise me. :smallamused:

Trizap
2008-05-05, 10:02 PM
yea..........V...... I think it might be time to go beddy-bye now........

and by "go beddy bye" I mean "get knocked out"

Calinero
I am disappointed in V...excellent strip, though! Hopefully, a large amount of painful character development is headed V's way...perhaps in the form of a Boot to the Head?

fractal
Palidins lack fear, so they have no "Flight" (as in fight or flight) mechenism.
They have no fear for themselves, but they're not stupid (in general). They won't needlessly throw away resources (their lives) without a specific goal in mind. Note Miko rushing to Azure City to warn them, rather than staying to vanquish Xykon, Redcloak, and the MitD, Hinjo departing Azure City (with some encouragement), the nameless dwarf paladin fleeing the rust monster in Xykon's crystal ball, and in OoPCs, Elan's paladin employer fleeing dire wolves, Elan himself, and who knows what else.

Since there's nothing to be gained by killing the orcs (the whole point was to negotiate with them), if negotiations have broken down, it makes sense to withdraw. I'm not sure why Lien wouldn't, she knows Hinjo needs her.

The Hop Goblin
2008-05-05, 10:03 PM
My My My.... Lien gets more... interesting... as time goes on.

And I'm diggin the Darth Varsuuvias thing. Long live the Dark Side!

Trizap
2008-05-05, 10:04 PM
Wouldn't surprise me. :smallamused:

oh really? I wonder why? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0504.html)

Lycan 01
2008-05-05, 10:09 PM
Wow, Paladin's aren't as pure as the claim to be... :smalltongue:

Yaaaay, Banjo! Finally, the respect he deserves!

Is it sad that I intend to buy colored fabric and sew together my own Banjo puppet?

Rethorn
2008-05-05, 10:09 PM

He's starting to look like a Sith Lord.

Ink
2008-05-05, 10:15 PM
Haha... Looks like Lien doesn't subscribe to Hinjo's strict moral code. Unfortunate for her.

1condor12
2008-05-05, 10:16 PM
First, Not only is has V not slept in in probably weeks, he has been consentrating on working nonstop for that time. not sleeping for around 1 and a half weeks can kill a human. even going with looser standereds for elfs he has probably been literally working himself to death. and as stated before, he was only atached to Roy and Haley. with them gone he has no conections to other people. Haley and Roy helped V feel emotion. If you look at what V said it was not evil, it was clean cut, pure logic. You cant get mad at V for using the Wizard mintality. a little extreme yes, but evil no.

HOLEkevin
2008-05-05, 10:20 PM
First, Not only is has V not slept in in probably weeks, he has been consentrating on working nonstop for that time. not sleeping for around 1 and a half weeks can kill a human. even going with looser standereds for elfs he has probably been literally working himself to death. and as stated before, he was only atached to Roy and Haley. with them gone he has no conections to other people. Haley and Roy helped V feel emotion. If you look at what V said it was not evil, it was clean cut, pure logic. You cant get mad at V for using the Wizard mintality. a little extreme yes, but evil no.

Nah, we can totally be mad at him for anything we want. Mostly, we can be mad at him for not getting enough "meditation."

Stoopid elf.

rosebud
2008-05-05, 10:24 PM
Well, color me confused. I thought elves didn't need sleep. But it is nice to see that she (or he for some) can finally fly.

"what's V's alignment?" threads 'cause this is definitely throwing fuel on that fire.I think you mean fire on the fuel. :smallbiggrin: This is more extreme.

Speaking of Banjo, this human sacrifice definitely gives the puppet a darker tinge. I mean, who would ever expect that a toy clown wanted to kill people? I guess they're Orthodox Banjoists.I think there have been several (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094862/) films (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099253/) based (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103956/) on this (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0144120/) premise (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387575/). Not to mention TV (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_Doll_(The_Twilight_Zone)) episodes (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0734586/).

I think it's more to do with being away from Haley for so long. V's feeling lost since he only really connected with her and maybe Roy. He's also let his vanity go because of it as well. I feel bad for him.I don't completely follow. V is already married. And elves are supposed to be more patient.

...so if Banjo could pull off the minor shock on Roy when only Elan followed him, with a full tribe behind him...think he might actually end up in Odin's Pantheon?One can dream, but where would Elan be (other than with a happy ending that was guaranteed)?

So, does the witch doctor's Banjo-suit date from before or after the liberation of Banjo from the humans?witch doctor not wanted before this scene. no get called for speaky or get fun stuff to wear.

1condor12
2008-05-05, 10:30 PM
Nah, we can totally be mad at him for anything we want. Mostly, we can be mad at him for not getting enough "meditation."
i am just saying that it is a little unreasonable to get mad at him for not only trying to keep only the greater good in mind (find roy, get to the gates, stop freeing or controle of snarl) and for being how he usulally is, just without the tempering enfluence of roy or haley.

rosebud
2008-05-05, 10:33 PM
Interesting. Not only are Haley, Celia, and Belkar growing apart, not only are those three separated from V, Elan, and Durkon, not only is Roy dead, but now V's obsession on finding Haley is separating him/her from Durkon and Elan. Roy may return to find the OOTS together but in shambles.Yes, this is. The fellowships are breaking? Redcloak and Xykon are further apart. And the Order of the Sapphire was sundered, too. And so to the world's fabric. And Elan and Mr. Banjo are separated. At least he still has at least one deity puppet.

Speaking of deities, WHERE ARE THE GODS (who are also at risk)??

Of course, Belkar would be in heaven if he got to join these Orthodox Banjoists. I'm sure he'd have fun sacrificing every one to Lord Banjo. He might even end up with a handheld weapon more potent than the Xyklon clone skull.

MyrddinDerwydd
2008-05-05, 10:44 PM
Wow, wouldn't have guessed Lien to be the hostage. this begs the question though, were is Hinjo during all this.

I have a feeling he's on the ship like a sensible ruler. Which is definitely a good thing, because I reeeally doubt 1 extra paladin would have made the difference... But why, given the various comments did you not think it was Lien?????

"One!...no, Two!! of our comrades left behind!"

Laurentio
2008-05-05, 10:46 PM
As a proponent of the turtle-in-a-cage theory, I find myself disappointed.
As proponent of "two birds and a egg", I'm moderately sodisfacted.

About Vaarsuvius, my first thought has been "Now we have settled the discussion about V's gender. She is a bitch". But then, people lacking an epic amount of sleep/meditation hours can't be accounted for selfish action. I consider Vaarsuvius under a sort of mind drug, and I will judge him after a good sleep (or equivalent).
If he feels remorse for being selfish, it's ok. Otherwise... well, it's ok again. I like this character the way he is. And it's not the first time a character choice to leave an hostage to his cruel destiny, isn't it? Isn't it?!

:roy: "Well... yes. Sorry"

Laurentio

hajo
2008-05-05, 10:50 PM
Hehe, gotta love that orc priest hat :smallbiggrin:
His outfit reminds me of a certain tentacle :smallamused:

Ellen
2008-05-05, 10:50 PM
Yea! Orthodox Banjoism!

Although Belkar has a lot to answer for.

I wonder if Elan accidentally converted a certain half-orc to Banjoism while on the run? That might explain the leprechaun suit.

On the bright side, while V is going to the sleep deprived Dark Side (come to think of it, wouldn't you think people on the DARK Side would have a better chance at getting a good night's sleep? Or trance?), he's also going to be better able to tell a certain half-orc who's in love with Elan that her sweety is in trouble (he doesn't have to know about her, he just has to yell loudly about what an idiot Elan is so that the word spreads).

Oh, and I decided to call V "he" because typing "he or she" has been getting to me, "it" makes other assumptions, and his name has a masculine ending in Latin (whether or not his parents knew anything about some of the bizarre rules some human languages have, much less cared, not being my problem).

SteveMB
2008-05-05, 10:52 PM
V, you're getting to the point where you retroactively deserve everything Belkar ever did to you.... :smallyuk:

TroyXavier
2008-05-05, 11:02 PM
ahhh yes.....Elan with another winner there.:smallbiggrin: Reminds me once again why I'm no fan of V as well.

Fitzclowningham
2008-05-05, 11:04 PM
My first genuine LOL from OotS: "Damn it, how does my mother keep being right about this stuff?"

(Also, V is LN.)

Fitzclowningham
2008-05-05, 11:10 PM
Excellent point, Rosebud. I don't recall Belkar actually rebuking Banjo. He could be the most powerful Banjoist in the world.

Ghastly Epigram
2008-05-05, 11:21 PM
Darth Vaarsuvius indeed.

Ninjamuffin
2008-05-05, 11:30 PM
Here's a question:
Roy can't appear to Haley because of the Cloister (at least we think that's it), but why doesn't he appear to V? Seems to me it'd help to fix a lot of V's issues right now, as well as give them an update on the rest of the Order.

Edit: Unless, of course, I'm forgetting something really obvious that explains why he can't.

DSCrankshaw
2008-05-05, 11:35 PM
It looks like Elan will have to instruct them in the proper form of worship for Banjo. They seem to have strayed from the true path.

fractal
2008-05-05, 11:42 PM
It seems like the arcane casters in this comic are getting awfully flippant about the divine casters' ability to raise the dead. Anyone else think it's jealousy?

Bitzeralisis
2008-05-05, 11:49 PM
V's just being stereotypical.

Elan should summon the Banjothulu upon the sacrilegious orcs.

Marcian_Tobay
2008-05-06, 12:05 AM
Uhoh -- V -- watch out -- that path leads to the dark side.

And at the end of that dark side lies the willingness to say the four right words to the right being at the right time for all the wrong reasons (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html).

Marcian_Tobay
2008-05-06, 12:06 AM
I have literally been reading this thread every time it gets updated for months now, waiting for the chance for my first post to be something that cool.

I'mma go start a thread now.

SteveMB
Nah, Lien's not a ho. She was just a teenager before she got her paladin calling.

Well, we don't know what rules he Sapphire Guard imposed in that regard; evidently they didn't require virginity. Heck, Miko (who was the most rigidly rule-bound of all) was open to a romantic relationship (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0250.html) with Roy in the brief moment between his apology for his initial behavior and his smackdown for her obnoxious self-righteousness. (Whether this assumed that marriage would be required prior to any bumping of uglies is unknown. Lawful Goodness would presumably require respect for the laws and customs of Azure City, and the keeping of one's own individual promises, but we don't know the details of either.)

Here's a question:
Roy can't appear to Haley because of the Cloister (at least we think that's it), but why doesn't he appear to V? Seems to me it'd help to fix a lot of V's issues right now, as well as give them an update on the rest of the Order.

Edit: Unless, of course, I'm forgetting something really obvious that explains why he can't.

"What, you think I can just pop in and talk to anyone? What kind of an afterlife do you think they're running here?" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0291.html)

Zienth
:elan: Lien wouldn't run away.
:daigo: Because, you know...
:durkon: Paladin.

Love it!

Zienth

UncredibleHallq
2008-05-06, 12:17 AM
Did anyone else notice that Lien's line is poorly-worded? Notice that she did not say:
So, if you were looking to sacrifice me as a virgin, you'll have to find a way to travel back in time to before my Junior Prom.Maybe I'm just coming here from the wrong websites...

fractal
2008-05-06, 12:23 AM
Did anyone else notice that Lien's line is poorly-worded? Notice that she did not say:
I guess we don't want to know what really happened at her Junior Prom. Apparently it had some far-reaching effects.

Shale
2008-05-06, 12:23 AM
Yeesh, just a little obsessive, there, V. Maybe a good twenty days worth of trancing would help?

My first genuine LOL from OotS: "Damn it, how does my mother keep being right about this stuff?"

(Also, V is LN.)

Vaarsuvius resents any legal authority that tries to interfere with hir pursuit of power and knowledge. Lawful? Huh?

Blanth
2008-05-06, 01:13 AM
One ticket to the Saucy Puppet Show please!

Bag_of_Holding
2008-05-06, 01:15 AM
Waaait... Lien's pregnant? :smallconfused:

Blanth
2008-05-06, 01:15 AM
He's starting to look like a Sith Lord.

"Only the Sith deal in absolutes."

Hmm.

Tharr
2008-05-06, 01:19 AM
The great Banjo will make love to Lien for children.

David Argall
2008-05-06, 01:32 AM
I guess we don't want to know what really happened at her Junior Prom. Apparently it had some far-reaching effects.
We will probably not find out, but given Lein's question "How does my mother keep on being right about this stuff?" we may well have Ma telling Lein "Don't say yes. He'll do you and dump you." and that is what happened.

As to the answer to her question, despite what the younger generation may think, the older one did go thru much the same situation, and did learn something useful, and the addition of some new dodads don't really make a difference.

At least they have something to make a case with now.
However, we do need to note that V has consistently been unwilling to change directions. Having decided a goal was worthy of his time, she does not like to be distracted from that goal. In this, she is stiffer than Miko ever was. He didn't want to go to Azure City, but once persuaded to go, she did not want to be distracted by sidequests.
And he is pursuing a good goal, the rescue of Haley and Roy. That she can afford to take a little time seems obvious, but we all know how petty distractions can multiply until there is no time for the big picture. He is not to be criticized too harshly. She is still on the side of good.

Ave
2008-05-06, 01:33 AM
V's a jerk.

No, he just works in a first in first out mode. He gotta save Haley, not some lawful stupid paladin who cannot run when running is needed.

rwald
2008-05-06, 01:59 AM
At least they have something to make a case with now.
However, we do need to note that V has consistently been unwilling to change directions. Having decided a goal was worthy of his time, she does not like to be distracted from that goal. In this, she is stiffer than Miko ever was. He didn't want to go to Azure City, but once persuaded to go, she did not want to be distracted by sidequests.
And he is pursuing a good goal, the rescue of Haley and Roy. That she can afford to take a little time seems obvious, but we all know how petty distractions can multiply until there is no time for the big picture. He is not to be criticized too harshly. She is still on the side of good.

+1 Pronoun Usage

DougTheHead
2008-05-06, 02:02 AM
Here's a question:

You are- Roy can only appear around the Greenhilt sword.

Tempest Fennac
2008-05-06, 02:03 AM
While I agree with V that Lien was being a moron by not running, I'd say that not being willing to help due to getting so distracted by Haley is almost as bad considering how V could probably do something useful if s/he helped with rescuing Lien (V also seems to forget that diamons are expensve, and that a Raise Dead spell causes the target to lose a level, assuming tey were able to recover the body).

Gensuru
2008-05-06, 02:05 AM
I am so glad about Vīs reaction. Thanks Giant. There is nothing more boring than a goody good character who feels like he has to do any little stupid task that might arise.

Regarding this good or evil stuff: I donīt see where having FOCUS is evil. Besides: If the paladin is too stupid, dense or proud to run away if needed to then iīd call anything that happens to this paladin mere natural selection. If they are willing to stay and die: let them die. Itīs not like you have any right nor duty to save people from themselves let alone force your beliefs onto them (e.g. the belief that one has to RUN rather than getting himself killed).

Besides from a comicīs point of view: how interesting would it be if they simply blasted the orcs away with Vīs spells?

Laurentio
2008-05-06, 02:08 AM
And at the end of that dark side lies the willingness to say the four right words to the right being at the right time for all the wrong reasons (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html).
And the right four words are I MADE A DOILY (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0033.html)!

On an unrelated topic: what's wrong with Rich Burlew and boobs colour? First he mistake the top of a Julia friend (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0257.html). Now Lien's. Hey man, if you don't like to see them, don't draw them! Ok, I'm kidding. Draw them.

Laurentio

Tempest Fennac
2008-05-06, 02:10 AM
That is a good point about how interesting the comic would be with V helping. On the other hand Lien still seems to be a descent level character, and Hinjo needs as many of those as possible, so saving Lien would be wise on those grounds.

Occasional Sage
2008-05-06, 02:24 AM
Waaait... Lien's pregnant? :smallconfused:

Two = Lien + Banjo (if you do math like Elan).

DougTheHead
2008-05-06, 02:40 AM
So I'm somewhat unfamiliar with the rules here... Paladins aren't incapable of retreating from a fight, are they? Is there any situation where their class mandates that they stay behind? I could see Lien not backing down if she thought that it would buy Durkon, Elan, and Daigo some time, but other than that it's sort of confusing... she left with Hinjo in the boat, so she's obviously not going to stay behind in a losing situation for no reason.

Tempest Fennac
2008-05-06, 02:48 AM
They should be able to (I think this an another example of Lawful Stupid behaviour rather then being an accurate representation of the Paladin's code).

Lunaya
2008-05-06, 02:56 AM
I'm personally a little flabbergasted that V's "friends" don't seem to notice that he/she is losing it. Have Elan and Durkon even tried to get V to take a break, or have they resigned themselves to the fact that they probably can't convince the elf to do anything?

V's apparent callousness doesn't really surprise me at this point. Obviously s/he's not hirself right now.

unstattedCommoner
2008-05-06, 02:59 AM

Neutral. As has always been the case.

Iranon
2008-05-06, 04:16 AM
I am not surprised at all concerning V's dismissal of Lien's trouble. He seems the kind of person who'd resent being called to save others from their own ineptitude, and that's how she would see Lien's predicament.
Lien was acting foolishly. In a diplomatic situation gone horribly wrong, fighting makes no sense. The orc tribe is no bitter enemy against whom fighting to the last drop of blood would be justified (in fact doing so would be morally dubious). Letting herself be captured when there is little chance of successful negotiation makes little sense either.

I more or less agree with V. Throwing one's life away when others depend on one is bad enough; causing others to risk theirs bailing one out again makes one a liability rather than an asset.
This is understandable in a rookie who mistakes foolishness for bravery, but Lien should know better.
This is exactly the kind of behaviour that makes people want to nail paladins to something sturdy until an obvious evil needs a kick in the junk.

Krytha
2008-05-06, 04:28 AM
V is looking pretty roughed up. This is what happens when Roy isn't around!

Laurentio
2008-05-06, 04:45 AM
V is looking pretty roughed up. This is what happens when Roy isn't around!
Or Haley, that has the power of making Vaarsuvius feel guilty (that alone could proof him male). Or Belkar, that is able to have Vaarsuvius do right in the attempt of annoying him.
It's just that Durkan is too shy or humble to impose, and Elan get no respect at all by Vaarsavius. You can know when Vaarsavius respect someone, by the use of titles and patronymics.

Laurentio

ColourDeaf
2008-05-06, 04:45 AM
Hold on...

V going a bit nuts?

Crazy exaperimentation?

Mindless obsession?

Sounds... portentous (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html)

Also, is it just me, or does V look somewhat like a certain someone we knew just before they went all... Skeletor on us?

Just a random thought

Eric
2008-05-06, 04:59 AM
First one to punch V' in the back of the head gets a nice shinny copper piece.

This elf is True Neutral in it's purest form.

Also, this is why love should not be expressed in it's purest form until AFTER marriage.

OR LN because the bigger picture is getting OOTS together, rezzing Roy and kicking boney butt.

OR CE because no sympathy for anyone not "in the team"

OR LE because looking for the goal no matter who it hurts

OR CN because V's self-centred

OR CG but a little cranky at the moment

Eric
2008-05-06, 05:08 AM
Yeesh, just a little obsessive, there, V. Maybe a good twenty days worth of trancing would help?

Vaarsuvius resents any legal authority that tries to interfere with hir pursuit of power and knowledge. Lawful? Huh?

Not' V's legal authority. Some other foreign state's legal authority.

Or do you think a lawful character must obey all the laws in the world?

PS Would V then become the trancing queen?

Eric
2008-05-06, 05:11 AM
As to the answer to her question, despite what the younger generation may think, the older one did go thru much the same situation, and did learn something useful, and the addition of some new dodads don't really make a difference.

Problem is, most older generation say that "in my day..." and kid on that they were better or life was more moral or whatever. Much like the older generation did thousands of years ago.

And they forget that the way they became the wiser older person they are now is because they were an idiot when they were a kid. Being an idiot is part of the path to becoming wise.

But, hey, we're getting REALLY offtopic.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-05-06, 05:20 AM
V is LN. Sure he (it is a he dagnabit [insert personal rant here]) is getting a little obsessed, a little crazy, but Lawfully so.

Great comic. Combo of funny and plot advancement, a difficult balance.

Leo_Forestclaw
2008-05-06, 05:45 AM
"Only the Sith deal in absolutes."

Hmm.

The irony of that statement being, of course, is watching a Jedi invoke an absolute...

But V's behavior is interesting in that s/he has quoted Jedi in the past. As memory served didn't s/he once advise Roy to "strike down" Miko?

(not sure it was Miko proper but I've been up 20 hrs so I probably need to get some "trance" in myself.)

hamishspence
2008-05-06, 05:57 AM
Actually, it was to strike down Belkar, and V was in lizard form so no understanding from roy. It was immediately after belkars "I just don't trust you enough to believe you lied"

Maybe, instead of "he, or she, or it" we should always use "V"

Roc Ness
2008-05-06, 06:43 AM
I haven't read the whole of this but perhaps the "spontaneous banjo worshippers" have something to do with Kobuta (whatever his name is) doing some Elan research and arriving on the island first

V's got birds. Maybe he wants a new familiar?

Hope its a Roc Ness Monster :smallbiggrin:

Taren
2008-05-06, 07:04 AM
Wow...you know, I've been happily surprised by all of the past few comics, but this one is one of the best since we revisited Elan, Durkon and V.

It's interesting to see how, despite the existence of spells such as "raise dead", death still has power in OOTS. While many people have observed and despaired in the fact that without Roy, the Order seems to be coming apart at the seams, not everything that's happened has been bad.

Elan has really stepped up since the loss of his best friend (and I use the term loosely) as well as Haley. *Sniffs* Our little bard is finally growing up. We've seen him loyally stick by Hinjo, taking up the responsibility of protecting him that Roy once carried, and he's devoted himself to helping the refugees of Azure City, despite the inconvenience that it is for him. (I say this because I'm fairly sure Elan could leave at any of the ports they stopped at and begin searching for Haley, which is one of his number one priorities right now) To borrow a phrase from Terry Pratchett, I think Elan has learned that "personal isn't the same as important." Heck, he's even managed to use his illusions halfway competently! While he might be missed, Roy's death has brought out the best in Elan, and I hope that even if Roy is raised we see more of this.

In the same way, we've been seeing a lot of changes in Haley. While it's harder to make the case that Haley has changed for the better since the fall of Azure city, consider the facts: She organized her own resistance movement and began freeing slaves and standing up to NPCS that are (presumably) several levels higher, such as Tsuchico. (Or however you spell her name. I'm lazy) She has also, by her own admission, started taking responsibility for herself. While she has shown a number of possibly negative traits, which have been argued by better orators than I in several forum threads, she has undeniably done a lot since the fall of the city. You can argue until the cows come home about whether or not she is slipping away from the good alignment (I don't believe it) but one thing is undeniable: Haley has become an ACTIVE PC. Too many players in games I've seen, especially newbies, don't take initiative, but rather just go along with what the party's doing and only speak up when forced to. Haley showed signs of that early on in the history of the OOTS (Consider her actions back in the first few hundred comics: She was more or less servile to the whims of other, more motivated characters, such as Roy. Whereas Elan might go off and try to get a certain god into a certain pantheon, Haley remained idle and counted her gold. It wasn't until she was placed in command of the group that she really started to.

Less inspiring are the changes seen in Durkon and V, which are a bit intimidating. Varsuvius has gone somewhat neurotic, enshrining him/herself in arcane study and endlessly searching for a magical solution even when there doesn't seem to be any reasonable hope that one exists. Durkon has shown signs of withdrawing, especially around V.

And then, of course, there is Belkar, who stubbornly resists changing eternally.

I'm curious to see where all this is going now. While I'd still like it if Roy returned, I honestly can say that even if he DIDN'T, I don't think it'd be that terrible. His death has changed so much about his companions, and I think it's refreshing to see them in this new light.

pnewman
2008-05-06, 08:05 AM
V's alignment, like anyone elses, can change. Yes V seemed to be Neutral Good, tending towards Neutral with Roy around as a good, and 'Good', example. Absent Roys influence V is back to True Neutral.

Of course given that "Wizard is an alignment." it may be that V is the same as she/he/it ever was.

Daibhid C
2008-05-06, 08:20 AM
i am just saying that it is a little unreasonable to get mad at him for not only trying to keep only the greater good in mind (find roy, get to the gates, stop freeing or controle of snarl) and for being how he usulally is, just without the tempering enfluence of roy or haley.

Sorry, *who's* priority is to get to the gates? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0504.html)

V's priority is to find Haley or kill him/herself and possibly everyone else trying. How logical is that?

Daibhid C
2008-05-06, 08:31 AM
Multiple LOLs in this one, starting with

:elan: Wouldn't a better question be why don't *more* tribes of orcs begin spontaneously worshipping my hand puppet?
:vaarsuvius: No. No it would not.

the_tick_rules
2008-05-06, 08:34 AM
Boy, V is like in love with Haley. Which means we may or may not got some girl-on-girl going on.

Lissibith
2008-05-06, 08:44 AM
Hehehe. :)

I really liked this one. I do wonder if

...what we're seeing is V reverting to the type of person s/he was when Haley first met him/her - intent on study and mastery and overcoming obstacles to the pursuit of power rather than the real world.

Calemyr
2008-05-06, 08:50 AM
Personally, I like how V's progressing. He (for lack of a better pronoun) has always been both extremely proud of his power and absolutely hates to admit failures. Now V is forced to face the failure to buy Haley the time to get back to the ship, and every attempt to rectify that failure has resulted in another failure.

V's state of mind was staggered when he ran out of spells and was forced to admit to being too weak to shift the tide of war. The loss of Haley and Roy, the only two people with high enough intelligence scores to earn his respect, hit him hard, with Haley more so. Not only was Haley quite certainly the closest friend V had within the Order, but V could have saved her if he only had a little more power. It's thrown V completely off of his axel and every single failure, every single day without rest, all of it just continues to accelerate the breakdown of a brilliant elven mind.

This is not a question of alignment, this is not a question of being a nice person, this is a question of having the strength to admit failures and move on and that's one thing V has never had and V is being slowly destroyed by it.

This is just good storytelling.

Beholder1995
2008-05-06, 09:34 AM
Ooh! Very well said. I find it interesting that almost ALL of our predictions have come true, including (but not limited to) Banjo & Lien being captured, and birds being in V's cage.

I also find it interesting that we seem to have on our hands a redo of the Bandit Clan incident- I think that eventually V will have an epiphany and go and help His/Her friends.

Also, Hinjo's probably not there because he needs to keep an eye on Kubota.

silvadel
2008-05-06, 09:46 AM
Origins spoiler

Actually come to think of it -- V really only has ties to Haley and Roy. The others V only marginally puts up with. This kind of puts V in an awkward situation. I mean V knew Haley LONG before the rest of the OOTS and we didnt even get to see how V and Haley met -- just that they are friends. As for Roy, he impressed V -- a very hard thing to do.

In all the strips I havent seen V be more than cordial to anyone else.

Ironlich
2008-05-06, 10:40 AM
About V's alignment, doesent a red robe mean "neutral"?

Lissibith
2008-05-06, 10:58 AM
Silvadel, I'm not sure I agree. Well, about most of them, yes, but V's made mention in the strips that his eventual friendship with Elan was important to him. (Of course, that's completely disregarding that if something DID happen to Elan on V's watch, V's relationship with Haley would probably be irrevocably changed for the worse and V knows it).

hewhosaysfish
2008-05-06, 11:14 AM
About V's alignment, doesent a red robe mean "neutral"?

I believe in earlier edition (in DragonLance, at least), there was a color-code which all the Wizards in the world, regardless of alignment, allegiance or circumstance would adhere to.
Then someone said "Hang on? That's a little strange, isn't it?"
People with greater knowledge of geekology may wish to correct me.

JosephD1014
2008-05-06, 11:46 AM
Okay... it took me a while to find the comic I was thinking of, so I'm sure I'm forgetting something... but... when did V learn fly? I'm sure the joke stuck in my head more than the side-note when he learned it :P ... or if nothing else I guess we can assume that he finally got it sometime in the past few months?

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0049.html

Ash_Gazn
2008-05-06, 11:52 AM
My vote is that this is the home clan for Thog, who learned to love Banjo during his and Elan's wild adventures, and who has since come back to teach his clan to revere Banjo in the only Orthodox way they might understand.

Friv
2008-05-06, 11:59 AM
I believe in earlier edition (in DragonLance, at least), there was a color-code which all the Wizards in the world, regardless of alignment, allegiance or circumstance would adhere to.
Then someone said "Hang on? That's a little strange, isn't it?"
People with greater knowledge of geekology may wish to correct me.

Sort of. The Dragonlance setting had three gods of magic, of whom one was good, one was neutral, and one was evil. Wizards wore white, red, or black robes depending on which god they followed, which was based on how they fulfilled their wizardly tests. In general, good wizards were white, neutral wizards were red, and evil wizards wore black, but it wasn't an absolute.

And it was only for that setting, so it doesn't really apply to V anyway. ;)

Zeku
2008-05-06, 12:13 PM
The great thing about this story arc is that it shows me in a believable way how readily the 'neutrals' of the world return to their inherent characteristics without the presence of the leader.

Tempest Fennac
2008-05-06, 12:38 PM
In regards to JosephD1014's comment, V didn't use Fly during the Battle for Azure City, so it's a distinct possibility that s/he learnt it after the battle. On the ohter hand, Roy made a comment before the 2nd Zykon fight about Wizards with Fly, so there's a chance that V had the spell by that point, but s/he didn't bother preparing it that day due to wanting to store more Fireballs or Lightning Bolts.

dish
2008-05-06, 01:12 PM
You're right - I don't think we ever saw V getting hold of fly. Wonder when it happened.

On another point: I hope we get to see more Lien character development. It seems like she's going to be a fun character to get to know.

maxon
2008-05-06, 01:15 PM
How do I love thee Elan? Let me count the ways.

Ironlich
2008-05-06, 02:10 PM
You're right - I don't think we ever saw V getting hold of fly. Wonder when it happened.

Probably here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0306.html).

nli10
2008-05-06, 02:17 PM
And now, the Banjoists get more commandments. Or, something.

Wonder if Banjo can commune with Roy? It'd be funny because Roy would hate it... At this rate he'll be rivalling the flying spaghetti monster in terms of number of followers.

And I guess I always presumed that V was pretty neutral by hir actions anyway. Sie does strike me that alignment, gender and meditation are just things that get in the way of attaining more power and results!

brilliantlight
2008-05-06, 02:36 PM
All work and no rest make Vaarsuvius go crazy.

No kiddding! I hope she pulls a Roy.

rosebud
2008-05-06, 02:54 PM
I'm personally a little flabbergasted that V's "friends" don't seem to notice that he/she is losing it.True, but they do suck at spot checks. :smallsmile: Elan tends to be too self-absorbed to notice things. Durkon is only rarely known for interpersonal relations. That just leaves Lien, Banjo, and Diago. The first two are detained at the moment, and Diago is not a PC.

Or Haley, that has the power of making Vaarsuvius feel guilty (that alone could proof him male).By this point, I think frustration is sufficient motivation for her. :smallwink:

Elan has really stepped up since the loss of his best friend (and I use the term loosely) as well as Haley. *Sniffs* Our little bard is finally growing up.He's long had his period of cluefulness and clueless. From dealing with his brother in Durokan's crappy castle to his breakout from jail (and prestige class) to his defense of the party on the city walls to his defense of the ship, he has had his moments, both up and down.

he's devoted himself to helping the refugees of Azure City, despite the inconvenience that it is for him.He's a Good character and that's in his nature.

Whereas Elan might go off and try to get a certain god into a certain pantheon, Haley remained idle and counted her gold.If you read On the Origin of the PCs, you'll find she has a good reason for needing that gold. It is not idleness or inability to take action.

Durkon has shown signs of withdrawing, especially around V.I don't follow?

Belkar, who stubbornly resists changing eternally.Hey, he's started to try leadership. It has not been successful, but that's a start. :smallbiggrin:

Forealms
2008-05-06, 03:03 PM
Heh. I liked the orc preist outfit.

Nice job, Giant.

two_fishes
2008-05-06, 03:03 PM
I was wondering what branch of "Banjoism" the orcs followed. Appears they are orthodox. How did they learn about Banjo? Missionaries?

Was Thog aware of Banjo the Clown? Perhaps he wrote a letter home.

Blanth
2008-05-06, 03:50 PM
Was Thog aware of Banjo the Clown? Perhaps he wrote a letter home.

I was thinking this too. Then I was thinking of how the postcard would have gone:

"mungu today thog find religion. religion soft and pointy! send love to ma and ice cream friends"

Kilarny
2008-05-06, 03:50 PM
Excellent plot turn. Having V in a separate location from Elan and Durkon sets up all sorts of possibilities.
We can also be sure that when the Cloister effect wears off, V will be there trying to scry. Err...unless he gets deeply involved in some turn of research for weeks at a time...
:smalltongue:

Calemyr
2008-05-06, 04:07 PM
I don't think either of them notice or are, at least, to intimidated to mention it. V is usually direct and somewhat intimidating at the best of times, and only more so now. Elan, who does not like to see people upset, and Durkon, who does not like to push his opinions on other people, are not really the best people to force V to calm down, at least without magical assistance. Otherwise, Hinjo is about the only person with the authority, courage, and common sense to comment. He's probably not likely to, however, since he not only doesn't know V well, he also probably shares V's feelings of "If only I was stronger..." about that fight.

dragon95046
2008-05-06, 04:31 PM
Can't say I have any real problem with V's attitude.

Now that's Lien is a prisoner, she will be the cause of at least 3 people, if not more, putting their live's on the line trying to rescue her all because she wouldn't flee with the rest of them. That type of inflexibility amongst the refugees is more liability than helpful at this point and they may be better off without her.

Add to that, Lien belongs to the very organization that imprisoned the OotS, drug them across the country, conscripted them into service and more or less held them over to do battle on Azure City's behalf which not only led to the death of V's companion but separated V from V's best friend in Haley.

So I can understand, and even agree, with V's attitude towards Lien. I only wish that she had tried to talk Durkon and Elan out of risking their lives on Lien, but they have had that conversation before and nothing came of it then, either.

David Argall
2008-05-06, 04:37 PM
So I'm somewhat unfamiliar with the rules here... Paladins aren't incapable of retreating from a fight, are they? Is there any situation where their class mandates that they stay behind? I could see Lien not backing down if she thought that it would buy Durkon, Elan, and Daigo some time, but other than that it's sort of confusing... she left with Hinjo in the boat, so she's obviously not going to stay behind in a losing situation for no reason.
There are no rules that require a paladin not retreat, but that is the way to bet for several, mostly obvious, reasons. Since the paladin does not get overwhelmed by fear, they are not going to be the first to leave, and while self-sacrifice is not as good as often made out, it often enough is good and thus a goal of paladins. Add in that paladins do want to be admirable, and people admire the brave, and you have a rough time for paladins during any tactical maneuver that involves retrograde motion.

V has gained a few levels, and has had chances to study since #49, so he has a lot of spells that she didn't back in the dungeon.

we seem to have on our hands a redo of the Bandit Clan incident- I think that eventually V will have an epiphany and go and help His/Her friends.
Our writer prefers not to repeat, so we should expect something different. In this case a rescue by/of Therkla looks promising.

1condor12
2008-05-06, 05:45 PM
Sorry, *who's* priority is to get to the gates? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0504.html)

V's priority is to find Haley or kill him/herself and possibly everyone else trying. How logical is that?

find haley, find roy's body. fidn roy's body, learn where the gates are. learn where the gates are, have all the more chance to stop the world from being destroyed.

Qov
2008-05-06, 07:03 PM
I love how what seemed like a throwaway gag has woven itself into the plot. I expect that Banjo will play an important role in the final battle with the snarl, and that he will be destroyed.

Yoritomo Himeko
2008-05-06, 07:29 PM
Spoiled for Space:

Can't say I have any real problem with V's attitude.

Now that's Lien is a prisoner, she will be the cause of at least 3 people, if not more, putting their live's on the line trying to rescue her all because she wouldn't flee with the rest of them. That type of inflexibility amongst the refugees is more liability than helpful at this point and they may be better off without her.

Add to that, Lien belongs to the very organization that imprisoned the OotS, drug them across the country, conscripted them into service and more or less held them over to do battle on Azure City's behalf which not only led to the death of V's companion but separated V from V's best friend in Haley.

So I can understand, and even agree, with V's attitude towards Lien. I only wish that she had tried to talk Durkon and Elan out of risking their lives on Lien, but they have had that conversation before and nothing came of it then, either.

I'm with V here. Unless Celia can cast scry, V is the only hope of the party ever reuniting and rezzing Roy. While he/she desperately needs to trance, he/she should keep on trying to find Haley.

Not only is Lien putting Elan, Durkon, and Daigo in danger, she is also putting Hinjo in danger. Now that Elan won't be there to protect Hinjo, Daimyo Kubota and Therkla will try to kill him again.

And V is in no condition to go on a rescue mission. It's a wonder no one has noticed just how bad he/she looks.

Sequinox
2008-05-06, 07:31 PM
V, who was my favorite character, is dropping very quickly in the ranks... You'd think after probably 4 months now she'd have at least gotten a good nights sleep...

MyrddinDerwydd
2008-05-06, 07:45 PM
V, who was my favorite character, is dropping very quickly in the ranks... You'd think after probably 4 months now she'd have at least gotten a good nights sleep...

I don't feel like V's actions are making her any less likable, it's just a little shocking that she's just being so extremist in her dedication to the research, at the possible cost of lives... I mean, would trancing for at least a few hours? a day? really hinder her progress all that much?

Hmm, maybe being alone and exhausted with the boys and no Haley will finally make V slip up and reveal her gender....:smalleek: Which might add to the explanation of why V is being so paranoid crazy about finding Hayley and not trancing...

Trizap
2008-05-06, 08:16 PM
wait a sec........if Elan, Durkon, and Daigo are on the island........and Lien is kidnapped........and if V is....being...Haley-obsessive-whatever.....and if Kazumi is pregnant........then whos guarding Hinjo? :smalleek:

Theodorus
2008-05-06, 08:18 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but the strips following the separation of the team has led my opinion about V's gender to sway toward the masculine.

This is why:

I am completely against stereotypes, but it is undeniably true that a certain lack of empathy is a masculine trait (this is not to say that all males lack empathy; calm down, I'm a guy too). V displays a lack of empathy by turning his/her back on Lien's plight.

You may be asking: why doesn't V's determination to find Haley constitute empathy?

This is why:

The key word here is determination - this point has been brought up before by someone else, but V's singular obsession with pursuing Haley might be more for the sake of finding her than for the sake of seeing her again. To be more clear, V is stricken by his/her 'failure' and is attempting to right things and resume the status quo by retrieving Haley.

Anyone convinced? Think my idea is stupid?

Deepkicker
2008-05-06, 08:58 PM
V's well on the way down the path that it became apparent s/he would take ever since the oracle's prophecy. I can't wait to see what's in the future for this character.

1condor12
2008-05-06, 09:21 PM
this would probably not happen but this is a ending of the series i thought of

they are fighting the linch for the final time. they are getting their butts kicked. finally when all seems lost v says "I cant do it" and the gods, who were waiting for this, bestow v with ultamite cosmic power. V then bestows that power to Roy. Roy kicks but.

i know this will never happen but i like how it sounds and since i am on this forum that that gives me the right to say whatever i think. (thinly veiled point at regular forums)

Naah hahaha

fractal
2008-05-06, 09:30 PM
If you read On the Origin of the PCs, you'll find she has a good reason for needing that gold. It is not idleness or inability to take action.
You hardly need to read Origins to get that information:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0131.html

blazinghand
2008-05-06, 11:06 PM
The animals are likely a continuation of the research referenced in Vaarsuvius' aside in panel eight of #508 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0508.html). It would appear that Vaarsuvius has reached a critical point in the development of this, his next spell. Though unhealthy, it seems that these exigent circumstances drive him to further feats of Arcana, each greater than the last.

Imagine the vigor and drive that puts him in this position - everything in his world set aside that he might better drive at his scrying goal! Truly we have here an indefatigable soul, possessed and consumed by this insurmountable challenge. With his arsenal of arcane might focused on one sole objective, Vaarsuvius is awesome indeed. What will come of this, I wonder?

Electric_Monkey
2008-05-07, 01:28 AM
I took this strip as a callback to This one (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0505.html), with the roles switched.

Kish
2008-05-07, 05:09 AM
wait a sec........if Elan, Durkon, and Daigo are on the island........and Lien is kidnapped........and if V is....being...Haley-obsessive-whatever.....and if Kazumi is pregnant........then whos guarding Hinjo? :smalleek:
It always puzzles me when people act like "pregnant"="incapacitated."

Last we heard, she was eight weeks pregnant, which probably means morning sickness but is a long way from showing.

Siriln
2008-05-07, 05:56 AM
It always puzzles me when people act like "pregnant"="incapacitated."

She may not be incapacitated, but any risk to her life is also a risk to the baby. Even if she isn't killed, if she takes a blow to the stomach she could potentially miscarry. That's a pretty big concern. She fought at the wedding ceremony (where she knew she was pregnant), but it was fight or die at that point. Knowingly putting herself in harm's way seems... stupid.

Eric
2008-05-07, 06:28 AM
I am completely against stereotypes, but it is undeniably true that a certain lack of empathy is a masculine trait (this is not to say that all males lack empathy; calm down, I'm a guy too). V displays a lack of empathy by turning his/her back on Lien's plight.

For humans. And in our society.

Have a look at 300 and remember that the women had to agree to the deaths too. Read up about Amazonian women. And then look at, say, spiders. The female of the species is more deadly than the male.

And in many cases, the empathy is just a sneaky way of hurting people that leave no external bruises.

There are fewer differences between men and women than men think. There are also fewer differences between men and women than women hope.

Fronko
2008-05-07, 07:45 AM
Well, there are a few differences between men and women, I wouldnt wanna miss for no gold in the world. :)

However, I don't think, that leaving Lien behind says anything about V's gender. Women can be a *beep*, too, sometimes. :smallwink:

Yoritomo Himeko
2008-05-07, 09:00 AM

My guess would be poor, forgotten, Captain Axe.

Talyn
2008-05-07, 10:10 AM
Yeah, and if Kazumi is still in her first trimester, then her armor is more like than not still going to fit, etc. so there is no reason that she can't help guard Hinjo...

who is a powerful paladin in his own right, by the way. Seriously, he probably has the armor, saves, and HP to outlive his entire bodyguard under almost all circumstances anyways. Heck, HE should be guarding them!

Regarding "it was stupid for Lien not to run:" maybe she needed to buy them some time. Maybe she was already cut off when the fighting started. Or maybe she adheres to the old 2nd Edition code (I've got my old Complete Paladin's Handbook with me right now) which means that you never run, ever, regardless of how much tactical sense that makes. Heck, dying heroically without taking a step back has been seen as a positive good in many warrior cultures, especially amongst the elite aristocratic warrior class (knights, samurai, etc.).

LordSintax
2008-05-07, 12:33 PM
Wow.... poor V. (s)he's lookin' kinda rough. may I suggest a treatment by the great elven beauty enchantress P'antene?

Blanth
2008-05-07, 12:50 PM
My guess would be poor, forgotten, Captain Axe.

Right! Someone has to stay behind to make sure the boat is ready to take off quickly as is likely going to be the case here. :-)

RosesOnConcrete
2008-05-07, 01:46 PM
Go take a nap, you silly elf! Or at least a shower.

Lien's lines in this one are great. I love her, hope she makes it out.

fang_q
2008-05-07, 03:31 PM
Huh? I don't get the punchline.:smallfrown:

Kish
2008-05-07, 06:06 PM
The punchline is that Elan is considering Banjo as a person, while the others (Daigo, Durkon) consider him a toy.

raekuul
2008-05-07, 08:01 PM
May I direct you to the second panel of #552? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0552.html)

It's not just a punchline, it's a running gag (in more ways than one).

Marcian_Tobay
2008-05-08, 02:57 AM
this would probably not happen but this is a ending of the series i thought of

they are fighting the linch for the final time. they are getting their butts kicked. finally when all seems lost v says "I cant do it" and the gods, who were waiting for this, bestow v with ultamite cosmic power. V then bestows that power to Roy. Roy kicks but.

i know this will never happen but i like how it sounds and since i am on this forum that that gives me the right to say whatever i think. (thinly veiled point at regular forums)

Naah hahaha

Hm. I'm inclined to think that V will commit an act of altruism for selfish purposes (right words for the wrong reason). Basically, V does something wonderfully good only because it will get V into ultimate power.

Example: "I forgive you, Belkar." causes Belkar to let down his guard long enough for V to betray him (for realsies and dire, not just the exploding rune kind).

PhallicWarrior
2008-05-08, 07:20 PM
Lien just shot up 10 funny points in my opinion.

I'd say "awesome strip, Giant" but I've said that in every review thread since I joined; everyone knows that your webcomic is awesome, so I'll break away from the crowd and say:

"Awexome."

Document
2008-05-23, 12:34 AM
I am completely against stereotypes, but it is undeniably true that a certain lack of empathy is a masculine trait (this is not to say that all males lack empathy; calm down, I'm a guy too).
I came across an article talking about that idea recently: link (http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/005496.html). You may want to read it, especially the red quoted text. (Which is not to imply that a different scientific result *would* justify prejudice; I'm with you on that.)

Also, I assume that that's dried blood on the altar, but before I remembered the stick-legs thing I completely thought Lien had crapped her pants. Anyone else make the same mistake?