PDA

View Full Version : Belkar: Cause of all deaths?

Marcian_Tobay
2008-05-06, 12:22 AM
So, as mentioned in my second post, I've been reading this section for a while, just waiting for the chance to have a cool first post. (TOTALLY nabbed it, if you want to check up ;) ).

Now, point me to the thread if this has already been discussed, but Belkar is confirmed to be the cause of death of either Roy, Miko, Miko's stupid horse, Vaarsuvius, or the Oracle (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html).

Has anyone conjectured that he is the cause of the lot of 'em?

Think about it!

Roy: Roy would NOT have confronted Xykon if Belkar hadn't given him that ring to jump. Roy wouldn't have been anywhere near harm's way without that "encouragement" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0429.html).

Miko's Stupid Horse: Miko lost the stupid horse when she lost her Paladin-hood, yes? Well, as stated in her own words, part of her actions that motivated her to an act of true evil was Belkar's alignment with her beloved ruler (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0406.html). If that evidence helped push her, he was part of the cause.

Miko: Still working on this one. I guess we could say that her imprisonment was vital to her death, as it caused the epic miscommunication.

V: V blame's V's rivalry with Belkar for being too weak to truly help at the battle of Azure City. V's guilt about spending more time with Belkar than with studies is vital in V's downward spiral. When V truly falls, it will be partly thanks to Belkar.

Oracle: I've got $20 on "a throw away joke to round off the lot".

Thoughts?

David Argall
2008-05-06, 01:56 AM
yes, this has been discussed before, many times in fact.

The most common opinion is that the prophecy refers to something that has not yet happened. However, Belkar's involvement in the death of Roy is quite sufficient for Belkar not to be eligible for any refunds. His involvement in the death of Miko is deemed too distant to properly qualify. V and Miko's horse are still alive and we can only guess about them.

NerfTW
2008-05-06, 10:11 AM
My theory is that it will never be explicitly answered, and Roy's death will probably be the most closely linked of any of them. Any closer, and it will be obvious Belkar caused it. As it stands, trying to find convoluted ways for Belkar to have been responsible for each death is too much fun, especially if Belkar himself tries to figure it out.

So I'm expecting a good portion of the candidates to bite the dust at some point in the strip.

Maybe Miko's horse could show up being used by a new Paladin? Like Diego?

Quorothorn
2008-05-06, 12:17 PM
My theory is that it will never be explicitly answered, and Roy's death will probably be the most closely linked of any of them. Any closer, and it will be obvious Belkar caused it. As it stands, trying to find convoluted ways for Belkar to have been responsible for each death is too much fun, especially if Belkar himself tries to figure it out.

So I'm expecting a good portion of the candidates to bite the dust at some point in the strip.

Maybe Miko's horse could show up being used by a new Paladin? Like Diego?

Daigo isn't a Pally though: he's a Warrior or Fighter.

Nerdanel
2008-05-06, 12:41 PM
Wild speculation:

What if it turns out that Belkar is responsible for the death of Miko's stupid horse i.e. an ordinary horse who is not a special paladin mount like Windstriker? That could happen if Miko returns somehow without being restored to paladinhood.

Belkar would end up killing none of the characters he was thinking, but he got a "yes" anyway because he didn't call Windstriker by name.

NikkTheTrick
2008-05-06, 01:18 PM
I don't think Miko is about to get a horse with any level of intelligence anytime soon. Mostly, due to her being very and forever dead:smallamused:

NerfTW
2008-05-06, 01:34 PM
Daigo isn't a Pally though: he's a Warrior or Fighter.

That's why I said "a new Paladin? Like Diego?".

As in, maybe Diego becomes a Paladin, and gets Miko's horse as his mount, causing Belkar no end of trouble when they meet back up.

Kato
2008-05-06, 01:40 PM
... you were corrected already, NerfTW... please stop calling him Diego u.u''' He's not Hispaniol or something, he's Asian (kinda)

Also, I'm afraid B's dead is done with giving Roy the ring... sadly. I'd like him to get some major killing, hehe

Beguilement
2008-05-06, 02:19 PM
Wild speculation:

What if it turns out that Belkar is responsible for the death of Miko's stupid horse i.e. an ordinary horse who is not a special paladin mount like Windstriker? That could happen if Miko returns somehow without being restored to paladinhood.

Belkar would end up killing none of the characters he was thinking, but he got a "yes" anyway because he didn't call Windstriker by name.

Of all the wild speculation that I've heard in my life, this has to be the most interesting. Sure, it's likely not true, but it's damn clever.

brilliantlight
2008-05-06, 03:08 PM
Agreed, the most clever solution I saw here.

King of Nowhere
2008-05-06, 03:13 PM
Discussing about the profecy of Belkar was done many times, but the hypotesis that he caused all deaths was proposed very little time. Anyway, I think Belkar will cause the death of all of them, but kill none in person

NerfTW
2008-05-06, 05:45 PM
... you were corrected already, NerfTW... please stop calling him Diego u.u''' He's not Hispaniol or something, he's Asian (kinda)

Also, I'm afraid B's dead is done with giving Roy the ring... sadly. I'd like him to get some major killing, hehe

Wow, you're a pompous sort, aren't you? I was not "corrected", someone merely spelled the name properly and I didn't notice my error, Kota.

Also, on topic, he said "any", he can still cause the death of more than one of them.

P.S. It's Hispanic, not "hispaniol".

DementedFellow
2008-05-06, 06:42 PM
I've never played a paladin, but does it say that once a paladin dies, so does his/her mount?

Kish
2008-05-06, 07:10 PM
No. Far from it. Windstriker remains in the celestial realms Miko used to summon him from.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-05-06, 08:01 PM
I don't think Miko is about to get a horse with any level of intelligence anytime soon. Mostly, due to her being very and forever dead:smallamused:

Very dead? Yes. Forever dead? Hmmm... Gonna have to get back to you on that one. :smallwink:

Lupy
2008-05-06, 08:31 PM
:smallconfused: Hmmmmm... Perhaps his killing Roy is it...

Maybe he leads an army out of the abyss and kills them all in their afterlives in an epilouge! :smallbiggrin: