PDA

View Full Version : How to get back into the game

jccarson
2008-05-06, 01:50 PM
Its been about 5 years at least since I played the game (3rd edition) at all. I'm working two jobs and have a family and not a lot of people in the area to play with or time. My older children are 11/10 and 8 and I thought of doing a D20 modern campaign with them or as an escape doing a PBP game here on the boards.

I have a decent set of books but limited experience and I don't want to bog down a PBP group. Any ideas on how to best get back into something I enjoy?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Keld Denar
2008-05-06, 02:13 PM
I'd highly encourage waiting just under a month now and picking up the core 4.0 books when they come out. Start your kids off on a fresh new system. From they way it sounds, 4e will be reletively straight forward and a lot easier for young people to learn than 3.x is. I recommend high fantasy for young kids, though, as they tend to be more easily immersed in knights and maidens and dragons and treasure and all that. They don't build em all the same though, so YMMV.

For yourself, getting into a game might be easier than you think. Sure, there are some changes between the 3.0 rules you knew and the newish 3.5 rules that exist, but they are pretty easy for people to help you with. Consult www.d20srd.com for any rules needs you need, and anything else, ask the other players, your DM, or these boards in general. People around here tend to be very helpful as long as you don't say things like "monk" or "monkey grip".

If you want to get into a real face-to-face game, I highly recommend looking around to see if there is a Living Greyhawk community around you. While LG is ending within the next couple months, may of the players also have home games you could ask if you could join, and some of these home games might persist in the current edition past the release of the new rules set. You can find what region you live in by looking through the LGCS at www.rpga.com and then searching for a corresponding yahoo group, as that is where many of them tend to co-ordinate. The LG community tends to be people closer to your demographic as well (I'm making the assumption based on the age of your kids that you are not a teen/college student age, yet not reaching your golden years). Most LG players that I've met across the US fall into the 20-50 range, with a large mean around the 26-35 range. If you live in a resonably populated area, it probably wouldn't be hard to find a group of gamers your age that either have a game, or are looking to start one. Your friendly local game store is also a good place to leave a business card with a Looking for Group notice.

In closing, gamers are out there, if you know where to look. I wish you luck and my your sword stay sharp and you never mispronounce your verbal components!

EDIT:
Ninja-posting is suboptimal...I'm a TWF Swordsage with a focus in Shadow Hand maneuvers. Totally busted out the Alacritous Cognition in that one...didja see it?

Da King
2008-05-06, 02:14 PM
4th Edition D&D comes out June 6th, you might be interested in that. Personally, I'm really looking forward to it.

Edit: Wow, that is a VERY fast ninja.

Lycan 01
2008-05-06, 02:31 PM
I'm trying to get into DnD for the first time, and everyone has basically told me two things:

-join a PbP game

and/or

-wait until June for 4e

Which brings up a question I've been pondering: How much will the 4e stuff cost? Like, the basic set or whatever. Will I need to buy a bunch of books, or will I be able to just go to my local Hobbytown and ask for the DnD 4e box?

Keld Denar
2008-05-06, 02:40 PM
Which brings up a question I've been pondering: How much will the 4e stuff cost? Like, the basic set or whatever. Will I need to buy a bunch of books, or will I be able to just go to my local Hobbytown and ask for the DnD 4e box?

My guess is they'll probably have 2 books to start with. One will be for players. This will contain everything you need to play the game from a player PoV.

The 2nd will be for the DM. From what I've seen, this will have all the rest of the rules, how to design worlds, adventures, encounters, and monsters, as well as having a few monsters in it.

They'll probably release more books over time, including more monsters, more options for players, setting specific stuff, and the rest.

Pretty much everything past the first book is optional, with the 2nd being recommended that at least 1 copy resides with the DM. If they go by the current model, the 4.0 PHB will cost between $30 and 35 retail, although you can probably get discounts through online stores such as amazon and similar sites.

MeklorIlavator
2008-05-06, 02:42 PM
It looks like you'll just need the core to play, similar to in 3.5, though splatbooks give more options. If you only want to play with an established group, you could get away with just the Players handbook, though if you want to dm at all, you will want the others. Once the Srd is released, you may be able to get along with that, though that's not a sure thing at this point.

UserClone
2008-05-06, 02:56 PM
FWIW, I've pre-ordered the 4E books (PHB, DMG, and MM) via Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Core-Rulebook-Gift/dp/0786950633/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b) for $63.81, including shipping. I think that's a fair deal, don't you guys?

Keld Denar
2008-05-06, 03:05 PM
Good deal, I think I'm gonna throw in my preorder as well.

(Hell, I just bought a $20,000 car, what's $60?)

Store will probably retail close to $90 then.

jccarson
2008-05-06, 03:38 PM
Thanks all, will wait for the 4.0 ... just wondering if there will be quides on how to convert adventures and addon books to 4.0 format or if it will have to be a total rebuy?

SofS
2008-05-06, 11:04 PM
From what I've heard, that question has no definitive answer. It sounds like there will be licensing issues regarding third-party companies printing 3e and 4e material in the same publication, but it's unclear from here as to whether or not that will cover conversions. I suppose it will depend on rather specific circumstances when it comes down to it. Wizards can probably print whatever they like, so it'll be up to them as to whether or not they will help players convert. Somebody else around here probably knows more than I do about this, though.

Lycan 01
2008-05-07, 10:16 AM
Also take into consideration that 4e is supposedly better for noobies and such, and is easier to set up and play. At least, that is what I've been told...

I guess that explains why my local Hobbytown stopped selling DnD stuff. I went in there a few weeks ago, searched the whole store, and only found one of the handbooks and a few little figures. I'm guessing they're not restocking since 4e is a month or so away, especially since they didn't even have a section for DnD in the aisle of RPG games...

Well, I know how I'll be wasting my summer and half my free time at college... :smallbiggrin: