PDA

View Full Version : The 'Strip Slays' Thread

Admiral_Kelly
2008-05-06, 05:32 PM
Not that I am complaining about it; but the rules do say no use of any copyrighted material on these boards. However, its been around for such a long time. So the question is if the thread is being overlooked by the mods or if it is valid.

UglyPanda
2008-05-06, 07:02 PM
It's fair use. Nobody is making any money off of it, nobody is infringing on the copyright owner's ability to make money through it.

Admiral_Kelly
2008-05-06, 07:34 PM
Legal or not; the rules bar this practice. Whenever the Giant's work gets taken and parodied its immediately taken off the board. The way the rules are worded, these should be to.

Of course; I could be missing something a mod said once in regards to the thread.

Anteros
2008-05-06, 07:36 PM
That's because the Giant risks losing his trademark if he allows others to reproduce his work. The strip slay thread has no such repurcussions. It's obvious that the mods have no problem with it, so why are you trying to ruin everyone's fun?

RationalGoblin
2008-05-06, 07:47 PM
It's fair use. Nobody is making any money off of it, nobody is infringing on the copyright owner's ability to make money through it.

Indeed. Not only that, if you check on the Dominic Deegan Keenspot forums, theres a thread that is EXACTLY the same. It hasn't been shut down there either. The creator of Dominic Deegan is a mod there, he could shut it down easily. But he doesn't. If he wanted, he could ask us to take it off. So, I would assume our thread here is okay.

Mewtarthio
2008-05-06, 08:30 PM
I'm curious as to why you thought this bore mentioning in the Board/Site Issues forum instead of the thread itself.

Ego Slayer
2008-05-06, 08:36 PM
Indeed. Not only that, if you check on the Dominic Deegan Keenspot forums, theres a thread that is EXACTLY the same. It hasn't been shut down there either. The creator of Dominic Deegan is a mod there, he could shut it down easily. But he doesn't. If he wanted, he could ask us to take it off. So, I would assume our thread here is okay.
Indeed. From what I knew the idea of the thread was started on the DD forums along time ago now, so... Apparently he's never had a problem with it.