PDA

View Full Version : RPG creation : "Classes"

Pink_Paladin
2008-05-06, 07:11 PM
I'm currently creating a RPG based on Exalted and Legend of the 5 rings. The main concept is a game that feels oriental in a occidental world. I'm replacing Magic by Element bending (like Avatar). So my game is based on Avatar series, for the only exception that my game will turn around the Clan wars feeling like in Legend of the 5 rings.

So, now, here's the prob.Most RPG rely on Classes for character creation. I don't like that, because its encouraging stereotypes. So, now, I'm looking for an alternative.

Clans favors honor and loyalty, caste favors...stereotype (most like classes) and blood line favors background and honor.

What about clans? caste? or blood line system? Whats ya think?

Saint Nil
2008-05-06, 08:27 PM
Hmm, you might want to try a skill buy RPG, like sereit y.

Certain clans could offer some skills at a cheaper rate.

Ex. The clan famous for it's naval strength offers sail at a cheaper price than the one famous for it's craftsmen.

watsyurname529
2008-05-06, 08:54 PM
You could look at D&D's optional rules for generic class games which could be more what you're looking for.

However, classes only become stereotypes if your players are not creative.

Pink_Paladin
2008-05-07, 04:58 AM
I think the prob with Class system, is that when you want something very cool you must multiclass. And most of the time, the multiclass system **cks. So...

But I like the clan and school system. But what I don't like, is the loyalty. When you must train and gain level in a skill, you must go to a Clan dojo and train here. But if you dont like your clan anymore, you cant train..anyway...blood line sounds cool too.

Duke of URL
2008-05-07, 12:38 PM
I'll second a "skill" system. You don't have classes, just a variety of different skills that you can choose to specialize in a few, or have general proficiency in a broad subset, or something in between.

How to set and increase skills as the result of experience is an exercise left to the reader.

batsofchaos
2008-05-07, 01:00 PM
How about going with something based off of the more generic/designed for Prestige Classes system used in D20 Modern? They offer a lot of versatility and customization, while being very similarly structured to DnD classes so there's not much of a learning curve.

black dragoon
2008-05-07, 01:12 PM
That is true D20 modern uses generic archetypes based on personal ability and then growing out from that. it still involves MCing but, it still has a less stereotyping than the old system.

watsyurname529
2008-05-07, 04:22 PM
I think the prob with Class system, is that when you want something very cool you must multiclass. And most of the time, the multiclass system **cks. So...

But I like the clan and school system. But what I don't like, is the loyalty. When you must train and gain level in a skill, you must go to a Clan dojo and train here. But if you dont like your clan anymore, you cant train..anyway...blood line sounds cool too.

That's not true at all. You can easily have a perfectly cool character without multiclassing.

Pink_Paladin
2008-05-07, 06:48 PM
It depends. My player aren't very creative. d20 Modern ask too much work to create lot and lot AND LOT of advance classes. And..it still stereotype.

I like the idea of a skill system. Mixed with multiple races, the system sounds cool. I don't know how Serenity works, can someone describe it a little?

InaVegt
2008-05-07, 07:15 PM
Actually, looking at a couple of "mainstream" RPG systems:

d20: Mostly class based, a lot of it isn't though. (Examples: D&D, d20m, M&M)
White Wolf: No class, but there are groups you are in and which specify the benefits (You should really look at these systems), basically, in between a class and a point system (Examples: WoD, Exalted)
GURPS: Entirely point based (It's a complete system, but has many genres)

So, no, most RPGs do not feature classes, and the entire idea of a class system has been critisised by many gamers and designers.

Pink_Paladin
2008-05-08, 06:13 AM
I think Mutants and Masterminds offer the best choice of possibility. But Im working on skill system right now. If I don't like, Ill use the "Clan".