PDA

View Full Version : Whoa, V, what's happened?

Lupy
2008-05-06, 07:30 PM
Based on 553 and 554 I'd say something has happened to V. Why isn't she going to help save a pally even though Durkon, whom she appears to like somewhat is going to? And what happened to his face? Do elves not deal well with the tropics?

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-05-06, 07:51 PM
S/he shows all the signs of exhaustion through overwork. V doen't NEED to sleep, but s/he DOES need to meditate and rest once every 24 hours. I would assume it's been weeks, if not months since V last took a break.

V's obsession for find Haley may well be the death of hir, but sometimes the greatest gains are made after reaching the point of failure.

Jokerz
2008-05-06, 07:57 PM
V's preoccupation with finding Haley borders mania, and I bet that at some point during this story arc he'll either snap or get yelled at by someone. More.

Lupy
2008-05-06, 08:09 PM
I forgot elves dont have to sleep.

@I like the idea of V having Haley mania.

Trizap
2008-05-06, 08:10 PM
yea......I think sometime in the arc, an argument will ensue between Elan and V,
and Elan will probably say something that snaps her out of it, but she will continue to look for Haley except with trancing and some common sense and reason.

Trizap
2008-05-06, 08:11 PM
I forgot elves dont have to sleep.

@I like the idea of V having Haley mania.

:belkar: heheheh......."Haley Mania"

The Hop Goblin
2008-05-06, 08:35 PM
Based on 553 and 554 I'd say something has happened to V. Why isn't she going to help save a pally even though Durkon, whom she appears to like somewhat is going to? And what happened to his face? Do elves not deal well with the tropics?

If you think that's crazy - just wait for another 2 comics to pass - he'll be wearing a black helmet with a lite-brite chest adornment.

Aquillion
2008-05-06, 08:39 PM
My question is... how is it possible to overwork on spell research? Aren't you only allowed to do eight hours a day of it, like with item crafting?

Regarding the refusal to help save Lien, I think it comes down to metagaming. V has always broken the fourth wall much more often than most other characters, so it seems in-character to say "Eh, Lien's just an NPC, she can handle herself."

However, I do have to point out that V's reaction here is also practically the textbook definition of the neutral alignment (with respect to good and evil):
People who are neutral with respect to good and evil have compunctions against killing the innocent but lack the commitment to make sacrifices to protect or help others. Neutral people are committed to others by personal relationships.V is willing to go to great lengths to help friends based on personal relationships, but feels no commitment to assist anyone else. This is perfectly in keeping with a neutral character.

HamishMcGreigh
2008-05-06, 11:33 PM
I completely agree: V looks like hell. S/He may be pursuing the path to Lichdom, to better search for Haley & Belkar. After all, elves may have to meditate, but undead don't sleep at all.

Edan
2008-05-06, 11:48 PM
V is currently missing his trademark makeup kit and is furiously researching spells and sending out messengers to the local shop to order some in. Naturally, being on a savage island is delaying delivery.

Hell hath no fury like a ambiguously gendered elf with no make up.

Fri
2008-05-07, 12:33 AM
Road to hell is paved with good intention. By the looks at it, why did I agree to theories that said that he will fall...

Niknokitueu
2008-05-07, 01:24 AM
If you think that's crazy - just wait for another 2 comics to pass - he'll be wearing a black helmet with a lite-brite chest adornment.
Heh. I find your lack of faith disturbing...

V will no doubt snap someday, whether it be soon (for immediate comic effect) or when he finds out about the cloister (with a D'oH!-type statement)
Have Fun!
Niknokitueu

†Seer†
2008-05-07, 02:15 AM
V will no doubt snap someday, whether it be soon (for immediate comic effect) or when he finds out about the cloister (with a D'oH!-type statement)
Have Fun!
Niknokitueu

I'm wondering if this is all character development? Elan/Durkon are getting experience from working under Hinjo, and V could be gaining more power as well by his non-stop work to create a spell that will help her find Haley.

When he finds out about Cloister, I think she'll be distraught for awhile, but when he comes to her senses he'll be that much stronger.

Rollin
2008-05-07, 02:39 AM
When he finds out about Cloister, I think she'll be distraught for awhile, but when he comes to her senses he'll be that much stronger.

Oww, I wish you'd stop doing that! I understand the rationale, but it's like watching a tennis match...I'm getting a headache! :smallmad:

Child Conscript
2008-05-07, 03:33 AM
HamishMcGreigh
Re: Whoa, V, what's happened?
I completely agree: V looks like hell. S/He may be pursuing the path to Lichdom, to better search for Haley & Belkar. After all, elves may have to meditate, but undead don't sleep at all.
Its a good idea, but to become a lich you need to be of an Evil alignment.

I cant be sure what 2 think of V's madness, all I know is that I dont expect Roy back any time soon >: 3

Talyn
2008-05-07, 09:45 AM
I'm going to agree with the "textbook True Neutral" answer. Elan and Durkon are Good - V is not. He cares about his friends, and phenomenal cosmic power. Lien isn't worth getting killed over, or even the added delay in spell research.

Although, really, all this research is interesting, but from a D&D perspective, it's less efficient than going on random side quests and killing stuff, because the leveling up will get him/her to the answer faster than experiments under the game rules.

Raylin
2008-05-07, 10:35 AM
My thoughts:

I sincerely doubt V is considering becoming a lich! For one thing, he doesn't really give the impression of being evil, and couldn't become a lich if he weren't. No matter how desperate he was to find Haley, becoming a lich wouldn't be an option (nor would it be the answer!)

I never saw any reason for his appearance other than the simple fact that he's worked himself to exhaustion. Remember when we last say him working on a spell to find Haley? He didn't look too good there, either.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0504.html

He's been working even harder now, becoming almost manic in his search. Besides this, he's just been on an expedition to some desert island - he's probably not feeling fresh as a daisy. It's probably true that by D&D rules, you can only do 8 hours of research a day, but this isn't D&D! I'm sure Rich wouldn't mind breaking a few rules for dramatic effect. Besides, the 8-hour rule should be taken as a guideline for how much useful work a wizard can do in a day - there's nothing to stop them continuing to research, but it won't have any effect stats-wise.

As has been said, the explanation comes from the fact that V is most likely neutral. He cares more about helping his close friends than helping people he hardly knows. He and Haley are close friends (they often share a room) and besides, he feels no responsability for Lien: she chose not to run, and being very intelligent (perhaps coldly logical sometimes), he can't understand her arbitrary code of conduct that comes from being a paladin. Why should he care about a random woman who purposely put herself into danger when one of his good friends may be in just as much danger through no fault of her own? Don't forget that Haley should be with Roy and Belkar, too, so finding her means finding and saving three people.

Finally, as to the idea that this is 'character development', that's not what the term means! Levelling up =/= character development, and it's hardly important in a webcomic anyway. The trick to defeating Xykon isn't to be found in experience and levels, and despite the fact that the characters often break the fourth wall, that doesn't mean all concept of this being a story, with characters who don't just go about killing for experience, is thrown out of the window. That's really more Belkar's thing.

Gurped
2008-05-07, 12:44 PM
i reckon his 'drug addled past' has caught up with him
one can but imagine the xp ffrom that...

Teron
2008-05-07, 03:26 PM
I'm going to agree with the "textbook True Neutral" answer. Elan and Durkon are Good - V is not. He cares about his friends, and phenomenal cosmic power. Lien isn't worth getting killed over, or even the added delay in spell research.

Although, really, all this research is interesting, but from a D&D perspective, it's less efficient than going on random side quests and killing stuff, because the leveling up will get him/her to the answer faster than experiments under the game rules.
Gaining levels won't directly help Vaarsuvius create new spells that aren't in the books (though access to a new spell level would allow for more powerful ones). That's the purpose of research.

David Argall
2008-05-07, 04:45 PM
yea......I think sometime in the arc, an argument will ensue between Elan and V,
and Elan will probably say something that snaps her out of it, but she will continue to look for Haley except with trancing and some common sense and reason.

Entirely too reasonable. This is a comic and sensible ideas are out of the question. V is headed for a crackup of some sort and will work like a maniac to get to it.

Lunaya
2008-05-07, 04:58 PM
Quoted from Wikipedia:

Resting: Wizards need to rest prior to spell casting. This may be in the form of sleep or meditation. A wizard who refuses to sleep and then goes on a spell casting binge (which is not entirely impossible, but rare due to temporal allowances) will grow weary - possibly delusional - and may experience many negative health effects.

If this is true, then my guess is that V is either about to go crazy or get very sick.

Lupy
2008-05-07, 05:41 PM
Maybe V is obsessing on finding her to the point where she isn't meditating. Or maybe he isn't dealing with the tropics well.

Alex Warlorn
2008-05-07, 08:23 PM

Sadly I have to agree that V is two steps away from pickling his soul and telling his mate that their nights of passion (if there were any to begin with), are over.

V is going to destroy himself, he should have accumliated enough non-leathal damage to fall over backwards from a gentle breeze!