PDA

View Full Version : Does Flesh To Stone work on Undead

BRC
2008-05-06, 08:38 PM
Just wondering. Undead are immune to things that require fort saves unless those things also effect inanimate objects, While Flesh-To-Stone dosn't specifically say it affects objects, this is because all flesh will be part of a creature. Could you, say, Flesh-To-Stone a Zombie?

Jasdoif
2008-05-06, 08:43 PM
It doesn't specifically say it affects objects, which means it doesn't affect objects. Which means undead are immune to it.

monty
2008-05-06, 08:54 PM
By RAW, no. But you could still houserule it in (or ask the DM to do so if you're a player).

Count Chumleigh
2008-05-06, 08:56 PM
Even without looking to RAW, my gut tells me no, if only because quite a lot of undead don't even have flesh. :smallwink:

Cheers,
--Count Chumleigh

BRC
2008-05-06, 08:59 PM
Even without looking to RAW, my gut tells me no, if only because quite a lot of undead don't even have flesh. :smallwink:

Cheers,
--Count Chumleigh

Of course, but what about those that DO, namely, Vampires, Zombies, Ghouls, Ghasts, wights, and many others.

TempusCCK
2008-05-06, 09:18 PM
I think your question should be, will flesh to stone work on a flesh golem? Because if so, then yes, flesh to stone is working on an object, but I think that constructs get the same immunity to fort saves as undead, exception of course being Warforged. Logic says yes, but RAW may be different, in my game, I'd rule it to work.

monty
2008-05-06, 09:23 PM
I think your question should be, will flesh to stone work on a flesh golem? Because if so, then yes, flesh to stone is working on an object, but I think that constructs get the same immunity to fort saves as undead, exception of course being Warforged. Logic says yes, but RAW may be different, in my game, I'd rule it to work.

It always bothered me that Stone to Flesh is specifically mentioned in the Stone Golem description, but a Flesh Golem is by RAW immune to Flesh to Stone.

Mewtarthio
2008-05-06, 09:24 PM
Would it work on a corpse or a severed arm or some other form of inert flesh? My gut tells me "yes," so it should work on undead, too.

Of course, RAW says "no, inert flesh is immune because the spell doesn't explicitly work on objects."

Jasdoif
2008-05-06, 09:27 PM
Of course, RAW says "no, inert flesh is immune because the spell doesn't explicitly work on objects."Right. Which is admittedly odd, since you can create a mass of inert flesh with stone to flesh but can't revert it using flesh to stone.

TempusCCK
2008-05-06, 09:50 PM
it seems to me that until this Sunburst spell was written, WotC did everything they could to keep you within the literal lines of being able to harm the undead only with the provided methods in the monsters descriptions.

Now you can fry Vampires whenever you damn well please, which amuses me to no end, being as how vampires are my biggest pet peeve.

Chronos
2008-05-06, 10:06 PM
it seems to me that until this Sunburst spell was written, WotC did everything they could to keep you within the literal lines of being able to harm the undead only with the provided methods in the monsters descriptions.That's not it. Sunburst has been in the game (and effective versus undead) at least since 2nd edition, and probably 1st, before undead got most of the nifty immunities they now enjoy. It was perfectly possible, for instance, for a second edition thief to backstab a vampire (about the only situation where 2E Backstab was better than 3E Sneak Attack).

Khanderas
2008-05-07, 01:59 AM
I see no problems with it working on zombies. Vampires and flesh golems.... not so sure.
Vampires because that would either be a very easy win (stone and dismiss it on a sunny meadow), or they go mistform on their next action.
Flesh golems, because it too would be a very easy win and they are specifically immune to so many other spells it makes sense (not to mention SR: yes)
Skeletons, dont have flesh no more. Maybe the bones become stone or not, but it wouldnt affect its movment or hitpoints in a negative direction.

Right. Which is admittedly odd, since you can create a mass of inert flesh with stone to flesh but can't revert it using flesh to stone.
Hah! Yeah true.

A fun use of this would be to stone a severed arm on a greature that can reattach it by holding his severed limb to the stump (though it gets a club then).

Keld Denar
2008-05-07, 07:22 AM
Flesh to Stone would specifically NOT work on Flesh Golems due primarily to the fact that FtS is SR:Yes and ALL golems are immune to spells that are SR:Yes unless its specifically mentioned.

FlyMolo
2008-05-07, 07:05 PM
Yes it does. Straw DM fallacy says it does work.

I would say that they get x/10 rounds, so every minute they make one attack. It just slows them WAY DOWN.