PDA

View Full Version : Draining Wands

Laesin
2008-05-06, 09:50 PM
I seem to recall a feat that would essentially allow you to cannibalise the charges of a wand or staff in order to cast spells you have prepared without losing them. Can anyone tell me where I saw this?

cupkeyk
2008-05-06, 11:31 PM
Arg! it took me forever to find it: wand modulation from complete scoundrel

Laesin
2008-05-07, 12:20 AM
Not quite what I'm looking for but thank you. I still think I saw something where you could draw off charges and use them in place of your prepared spells a la rod of absorption. I'll keep looking.

cupkeyk
2008-05-07, 12:26 AM
But isn't that wand modulation does? You burn wand charges to cast any spell you know of the same level as the wand's spell or lower.

Laesin
2008-05-07, 12:40 AM
Not quite. You cast wand modulation, then you cast the spell you want (Max third level for a wand of a fourth level spell) to use into the wand. Then you can use the wand as if it was a wand of that spell at minimum caster level. I'm hoping to draw off charges from the wand to power my spells.

Roderick_BR
2008-05-07, 07:04 AM
The only feat I found that was similar was the Master Staff and Master Wand that are epic, but they do the opposite: You use your spell slots in place of charges to activate the item, if I understood the confusing wording.

Laesin
2008-05-07, 10:26 AM
Bah, must have been something from a 3pp. Maybe I'll just homebrew it, though using those feats as templates would make its prerequisites prohibitive. :smallfrown:

olelia
2008-05-07, 06:42 PM
Magic of Arcanis or Players Guide to Arcanis I think is what you are looking for...will have to grab my book to double check but there are "harvesters" in the book that can suck magic.

FlyMolo
2008-05-07, 06:56 PM
I looked at this thread and thought. "Wand bombs!" and immediately started to homebrew a mechanic for them.

Cool idea, you must admit. Fiddle with wire and a wand for a bit, then toss the thing and run for cover! BOOM!

Laesin
2008-05-07, 08:06 PM
I looked at this thread and thought. "Wand bombs!" and immediately started to homebrew a mechanic for them.

Cool idea, you must admit. Fiddle with wire and a wand for a bit, then toss the thing and run for cover! BOOM!

Damnit, you are NOT turning my Wand of Magic Missiles into a phaser set to overload. :smallbiggrin:
Do what you like with your own.