PDA

View Full Version : WTH!?!?! Another Elf Race!? O_o

asphen fox
2008-05-06, 11:44 PM
I homebrewed an elf race based on those Earthb-loving race Tolkien made for LoTR and so far... this is what I have:

Forest Elf (Medium Humanoid Elf)
Base land speed: 30 ft.
Ability scores: +2 Dex, -2 Str or +2 wis, -2 Str (selection must be made on character creation.)
Low-light vision 30 ft
+2 racial bonus on search, spot, intimidate (against non-elf and non-fey creatures), listen, ride, handle animal, survival (in forests), wild empathy, hide (in forests), and move silently (in forests) checks.
+2 on saves against spells and spell-like abilities
Immune to magic sleep effects
-2 on diplomacy, gather information, bluff and sleight of hand checks made against non-elf and non-fey creatures
Automatic racial proficiency on two-bladed swords, shortswords, longswords, all straight bows and composite bows.

Favored Class: Ranger or Druid

Kizara
2008-05-07, 12:29 AM
I homebrewed an elf race based on those Earthb-loving race Tolkien made for LoTR and so far... this is what I have:

Forest Elf (Medium Humanoid Elf)
Base land speed: 35 ft.
Ability scores: +2 Dex, -2 Str or +2 wis, -2 Str (selection must be made on character creation.)
Low-light vision 30 ft, Dark-vision 25 ft
+2 racial bonus on search, spot, listen, ride, handle animal, survival (on forests), wild empathy, hide (on forests), and move silently (on forests) checks.
+2 on saves against spells and spell-like abilities
Immune to magic sleep effects
-2 on diplomacy, gather information, bluff and sleight of hande checks made against goblinoids, orcs and dwarves
Automatic racial proficiency on rapiers, shortswords, longswords, all straight bows and composite bows.
Favored Class: Ranger or Druid

Is it ok if I add the auto detect thingy on concealed and trapdoors or should I keep it out to keep this race in LA +0?

1) Should be (in forests). Unless you mean they only get the bonuses when physically on top of the forest. :smallamused:

2) Really, the two options for stat mods and favored classes really should be two different (sub)races. Although, aside from precendent what you have works fine.

3) Ditch proficiency in rapiers (never saw/read that in LotR) and add two-bladed swords.

4) Even without the trap sense thing, this is signifigantly better then PHB elves: +5ft base speed, the somewhat situational skill boosts are considerably better then the extremely situational skill penalties, and darkvision.

You could lose the darkvision btw. Don't remember Legolas even doing something that couldn't be described as low-light vision.

I would also make the skill penalties universal, instead of situational. The haughty, isolationist elves don't really get along that well with ANYONE.

Finally, although I really like the +5ft movespeed, its making them a bit overpowered compared to the PHB elves. I'd instead give them the Run feat for free, its considerably more situational.

Mando Knight
2008-05-07, 12:48 AM
The Run feat will also give the Elf-Fighter an easier time when figuring out how far his character can run in Hide armor... unless you just want to say that it's 25 ft. ...

asphen fox
2008-05-08, 04:37 AM
I added a bonus on intimidate checks made against non-elf and non-fey creatures... I truncated the additional 5 ft on speed and added the run feat... added the two-bladed sword proficiency... But I kept the dark vision thing... I remembered Legolas being able to see in darker places that even gimli's having a hard time seeing in.

PS> Thanks for the grammar correction. :smallbiggrin: I was a bit sleepy while typing this down :smallsmile:

Kizara
2008-05-09, 03:15 PM
I added a bonus on intimidate checks made against non-elf and non-fey creatures... I truncated the additional 5 ft on speed and added the run feat... added the two-bladed sword proficiency... But I kept the dark vision thing... I remembered Legolas being able to see in darker places that even gimli's having a hard time seeing in.

PS> Thanks for the grammar correction. :smallbiggrin: I was a bit sleepy while typing this down :smallsmile:

The skills are much better done now, good job.

As for the low-light vs darkvision thing:

In the circumstance you described, they had a torch, and Legolas could see further in said torchlight and more clearly. This is a function of low-light vision. I can't remember anytime Legolas can see something very clearly in COMPLETE darkness (the only time darkvision applies).

asphen fox
2008-05-11, 07:51 PM
:)) Yeah... Checked the book again after you reading your post and I realized you're right. :smallbiggrin: I'll remove that part then. :smallsmile: Anymore suggestions to make it closer to the LoTR elves?