PDA

View Full Version : Spell Points?

kwanzaabot
2008-05-07, 01:55 AM
Hey all, i've just been reading through d20srd.org, especially the Unearthed Arcana part (I don't have the book unfortunately) and I quite like the idea of using Spell Points instead of Spell Slots.

Does anyone here have experience using this system? Is it better, worse, equal? It reminds me a lot of Psionics, and I feel that it'd be much easier to support both mage and psychic characters if they had more in common, but is this feasable?
If not, would a Naturally Psionic race be able to be houseruled to be Naturally Magical instead without it being too easily abused?

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated. :)

Frosty
2008-05-07, 02:00 AM
I'm DMing and playing under the SP system right now. It makes sorcerers slightly more powerful the way we do it (metmagic does not increase casting time) and makes Wizards absolutely disgusting in power, since they now have spontaneous casting.

If you use the SP system, give some extra goodies to non-spellcasters, and then ramp-up the encounter difficulties.

kwanzaabot
2008-05-07, 02:03 AM
I'm DMing and playing under the SP system right now. It makes sorcerers slightly more powerful the way we do it (metmagic does not increase casting time) and makes Wizards absolutely disgusting in power, since they now have spontaneous casting.

If you use the SP system, give some extra goodies to non-spellcasters, and then ramp-up the encounter difficulties.

I can live with that. How does it compare to psionic players or Tome of Battle kinda stuff?

CASTLEMIKE
2008-05-07, 06:54 AM
Great for wizards and pretty poor for sorcerers.

Frosty
2008-05-07, 09:12 AM
I can live with that. How does it compare to psionic players or Tome of Battle kinda stuff?

I don't use pisonics, so I can't comment. Tome of Battle classes are not affected by this.

cintain
2008-05-07, 07:34 PM
I really like the spell point system. Spell slots always irked me, so I was delighted when I saw this option. I adapted my homebrew setting to use it.

I haven't experienced the wizard/sorcerer problem, because I don't have sorcerers in my homebrew... but by comparison with other games I play in, I can say that wizards pretty much get the upper hand with the spell points. A friend of mine has pointed out to me (and I kind of agree) that the spell point system kind of makes the sorcerer redundant.

It is a good system in that it takes some of the bookkeeping out of playing a wizard, it gives you more flexibility (which IMHO is more realistic), and yes, it does make arcane magic more like psionics. I use a lot of psionics in my homebrew, and using the same mechanic for both magic and psionics does make my life a lot easier.

Hope this helps.
C

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-07, 07:37 PM
Like recharge magic, it's gross. If you want to make the other guys feel more useful, insist that skillmonkeys go factotum or beguiler (And give the 'Totum two or three free FoI's that do not count towards his limit), make ToBBer's gain a new maneuver level at a 1-2 rate and make epiclike maneuvers, and leave the clerics as-is.

UserClone
2008-05-07, 08:20 PM
What if only Sorcerers and Favored Souls could use it? I think that'd be kinda neat.

RTGoodman
2008-05-07, 08:24 PM
What if only Sorcerers and Favored Souls could use it? I think that'd be kinda neat.

You know, I haven't looked into the Spell Point system too much, but you make an excellent point - using spell points could be a better way to distinguish between spontaneous casters and prepared casters. I doubt I'd use it, but it still seems like a neat idea.

SCPRedMage
2008-05-08, 01:00 PM
A lot of people will tell ya that the Spell Point system sucks for Sorcs. Don't listen to them. They never stop to consider that ALL of a Sorcs dice/level damage spells get an extra die for free. A Sorcerer, for example, can cast a 10d6 Fireball for 9 spell points, where as a Wizard would have to spend 10 spell points for the same damage. That damage discount can REALLY help out a blaster-type Sorc.

That said, if you dislike the spell slot system, this is a good alternative. Be careful, though, because the players have a LOT more flexibility with it. I once had a cleric I was playing cast Blade Barrier four or five times in a single combat at level eleven. With the spell slot system, a player is LUCKY if he can cast Blade Barrier TWICE in a day at that level.

Draz74
2008-05-08, 01:48 PM
Down side: Casters are already too powerful. Giving casters extra flexibility through a spell points system only makes them even more game-breaking. Spells are more powerful, on average, than Powers, so casters with the Spell Points variant are more powerful than manifesters.

Upsides: Yes, this makes you able to integrate Magic and Psionics and their Transparency much more powerfully. For example, Catappsi now becomes "Antimagic Field Lite" (and you could make a "Lesser Catappsi" power or spell that is available at lower levels, so that it actually becomes believable for the Level 5 Goblin King to have some areas of his dungeon warded against the PCs' magical abilities).

Also a better system overall, IMHO.

And no, making "Naturally Magical" races shouldn't break anything.

kwanzaabot
2008-05-08, 06:28 PM
So, i've been reading over this thread (I may have forgotten I posted it briefly :smallwink:) and it seems that the general consensus is that casters are already powerful, and become more so with this, but it's a better system than spell slots.

I gotta admit, I have a tendency to make my games videogame-like (as anyone who's seen my Malboro race can probably assume), so spell points are just really appealing to me.
And as the DM, I can always tailor encounters towards the melee guys, so I think my decision has been made. I'm going with the Spell Points!

However, I do like the idea of limiting it to spontaneous casters, but then there's the problem of having to keep track of like 50 different systems. :smallfrown:

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-08, 06:36 PM
If you want a truly good system, replace cleric and sorc with Psion (Which can cover up for both if given a few homebrewed healing powers, and makes for a WAY better "use your inherent potential fo' kickin' azz" than sorc), make wizards gain spells every 2-3 levels, and tell the skillmonkey to take Factotum. The warrior guy should already be aware of optimization, if your group took Ability (Optimize) at least once.