PDA

View Full Version : Leonin

The Necroswanso
2008-05-07, 02:00 AM
I did a search, and three years back or so someone did this, but it turned out prety, lame. So, here's my attempt. It's lame to, but it's lame, in the"I like pie" way.

Leonin

Out on the plains a race of lion-like humanoids roam in packs. These, are the leonin.
Tall, strong and proud, the leonin are difficult to best on their own terrain, and they will most often be territorial if encountered in the such plains.
There are two defining differences in the male and female leonin, and that is their build, and their social status. Where as males usualy protect the territory, females are usually the hunters. And as such, their bodies are built much differently.

Males receive a +2 strength, and a +2 constitution. However being more focused on brute strength rather than finesse and guile, they take a -2 to dexterity, and -4 to intelligence. A male Leonin in a pack, not just a wanderer who has met a pack, gain a temporary +4 to charisma when dealing with females in the pack. This comes from their standard station as leaders of a pack creature.

Female leonin on the other hand receive a +2 to dexterity, and a +2 to constitution. Due to their hunter and finesse nature, they take a -2 to strength, and a -2 to wisdom. They are great deducers and trackers, but they aren't always as intuitive as other races. Known for their prowess in hunting female leonin gain a +4 bonus to charisma when dealign with non-pkayer character fighters, barbarians (excepting other leonin) and rangers.

Leonin are medium and as such gain no bonuses to speed. However at 3rd level the female leonin gains the run feat. And at sixth level male leonin gain leadership, with a +10 leadership score. A male leonin who does not belong to a pack only gains a +5, however if he starts his own pride, it becomes a +10 afterwards. ( A pride of leonin must consist of atleast two other males and atleast 5-6 females)

Male leonin's manes are think and tough, they receive a +1 natural armor bonus. However female leonin are quick, and combat masters. They receive dodge as a bonus feat at first level

Leonin have low light vision.

Leonin have claws and a bite that both deal 1d4. A leonin is always treated as being profficient with their natural weapons.

Language: leonin have a very basic language consisted of growls, roars, and intricate body language. However some leonin have developed a written language, consisted of a mesh of dwarven and elven.

Favored Class: Barbarian (Males) Ranger (Females)

Leonin aren't always seen around society as they are semi-nomadic, travelling over vast tracks of fields, but never usually levaing their territory. Leonin are usually almost always lawful, with some females drifiting into neutral. It is almost impossible to find a chaotic leonin.

Questions, comments and concerns are welcome. This is my first homebrew in a long time, so if you see anything that should be added or have suggetsions, feel free.

Tempest Fennac
2008-05-07, 02:13 AM
The fact that males and fenmales have different stats is quite interesting. Is the fact that males get Leadership with a bonus too overpowered, though? Also, females seem to be lacking in comparrison in regards to racial features.

The Necroswanso
2008-05-07, 02:28 AM
The leadership may be over powered, but if you think about all the things that give you a penalty to your leadership score, a guy living in the fields may actually cancel out the +10, 4-fold.

The original plan was to give the females Track, but with their favored class being Ranger, it would only create redundency.
I also thought about giving females the ability to track by scent, but I did't know if that would be just enought to grant LA, and I'm trying to make them as lionesque without hititng the LA as possible.
Perhaps mobility as a bonus feat, or a possible bonus to dealing with younger leonin.

Tempest Fennac
2008-05-07, 02:41 AM
That is a good point about Leadership. Just thinking about the bonuses which apply to daling with other Leonins: they seem slightly pointless due to not working with other races. Would a feline animal companion who levels up at the same rate as a Ranger's companion be too overpowered? I know there's a feat whic allows other classes to get a companion which could be used as a guide here if you decided to consider giving them this ability: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a .

Tai Sunstrider
2008-05-07, 02:41 AM
Eh...I would just use the Catfolk racials if you wanted to make it a basic race take off the natural armor (since it doesn't make any sense giving the descriptors available, there is only one mentioning of them even being slightly tougher than any other race and thats right next to the attribute) and the +1 level adjustment.

I have thought about giving the individual tribes of the catfolk, individual stats though (+2 str -2cha tigers, +2 dex -2 wis cheetahs, +2 con -2 int lions, +2 wisdom -2 dex panthers etc.) something to that effect I'd actually have to hunt down my homebrew papers first.

Tempest Fennac
2008-05-07, 02:46 AM
Wouldn't Catfolk need to have their racial stats modified before getting rid of the LA? Combining Catfolk with a similar race called Rakastas, I came up with this LA 0 variant: +2 Dex, -2 Wis, +2 Listen and Move Silently, 40 ft. movement, Low-Light vision (the Wis penalty came from some 3.5 Rakasta updates which I've seen on the internet).

The Necroswanso
2008-05-07, 04:42 PM
Catfolk are good if you can deal with the LA. This is generally flavor, and works in ECL 1 games. I see it as much like the lupin from Dragon magazine and Dragon Compendium.

lord of kobolds
2008-05-07, 06:43 PM
If this is from Magic the gathering, then the flavor does not seem to fit. the leonin were anything but barbarians, they had codes of honor, societies,, and huge sprawling cities. also, the women shouldn't be taking a wisdom penalty, since they were the healers.

Tai Sunstrider
2008-05-07, 08:11 PM
I highly doubt this is using the Magic the gathering designs since they don't have an affinity towards any kind of gear (the leonins of MTG gained more power than they should have when wielding magical gear)

I said to get rid of the LA as well as the +1 natural armor bonus, if you want to play them as a LA 0 species.

When using the BESM 3.5 system few races with LA make sense, because you can build them using points that rarely equal the LA (10 points = lvl 0 species, 20 = lvl 1, 30= lvl 2 etc., the Minotaur is 12 points if i remember correctly.)

Then again most of the 3.0-3.5 numbers involving levels (CR, ECL, LA, DC) didn't make much sense, there was nothing to codify whether or not the challenge ever met the rating, or surpassed it (the prime example being a CR 2 that lvl 20s fear)

The Necroswanso
2008-05-07, 09:28 PM
If this is from Magic the gathering, then the flavor does not seem to fit. the leonin were anything but barbarians, they had codes of honor, societies,, and huge sprawling cities. also, the women shouldn't be taking a wisdom penalty, since they were the healers.

No, not it's not. If it was, I would have said so and they would look like them crunchwise.

Mando Knight
2008-05-08, 02:07 PM
Favored Class: Barbarian (Males) Ranger (Females)

Leonin aren't always seen around society as they are semi-nomadic, travelling over vast tracks of fields, but never usually levaing their territory. Leonin are usually almost always lawful, with some females drifiting into neutral. It is almost impossible to find a chaotic leonin.

Barbarian (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/barbarian.htm)
Alignment: Any nonlawful.

:smallconfused:

Are you playing with a variant Barbarian? If not, then why do the male Leonin almost never have access to their favored class?

Tai Sunstrider
2008-05-09, 12:17 AM
IMO barbarian isn't a very good class anyhow.

Tempest Fennac
2008-05-09, 01:50 AM
Tai Sunstrider, I think Favoured Classes are more concerned with flavour rather then effectiveness (except for Elves: Ranger would be a better fit then Wizard). You could houserule Barbarians so that they can be Lawful being as there isn't really any reason why they shouldn't have that alignment.

togapika
2008-05-09, 06:52 AM
Interesting idea, but I have to say I would never play a male simply because of the -4 INT.
... Simba.. hate.. orcs

The Necroswanso
2008-05-09, 05:51 PM
The barbarian thing is mostly flavor, as a PC leonin is most likely not going to belong to a pride, and will most likely, unless he's a paladin, drift into neutral and chaotic. Flavorwise, of course.

And I totally feel yuh Togapika, but the problem came to it being either a dominant male through brute strength, IE: -4 CHA instead, with the social graces of a cow, or a low INT. You're realy only screwed by an INT penalty if you make it a complete dump stat, 12 or lower, into it.

And really, they're a pack creature, living in the wild, barbarians aren't exactly known for being well book learned. Why should a race rarely found outside vast plains have a mental process on par with an average human wizard?