PDA

View Full Version : 4ed article: Weapons

Dragoon
2008-05-07, 02:16 AM
Here's the link click. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ex/20080507a)

For those who can't access the site.

In today’s preview, we asked Chris Sims to detail how weapons work in 4th Edition. His response:

Weapons are an essential part of the D&D game. They’re the "sword" in "sword & sorcery".

Older versions of the D&D game allowed you to be proficient with a few specific weapons, growing in the number of such skills you advanced in level. When you weren’t proficient with a particular weapon, you took a penalty on attack rolls with it. Weapons had varying levels of effectiveness based on size, speed factor, damage against targets of different sizes, and even against differing sorts of armor.

In 3E, the game embraced an appealing level of complexity. It did away with some of the esoteric weapon systems of older editions, but it kept enough nuances to define each weapon as specifically as possible. Weapon categories—simple, martial, exotic, and improvised—became the major means of defining proficiency. As the game developed, new rules as well as rules resurrected from older editions played on the differences and similarities among weapons.

The 4th Edition D&D game took all these thoughts about weapons and considered them. For the new game, it was decided that weapons had to be complex enough to be interesting, as with 3E. But the rules also had to be easy to use in design, in character creation, and in play—even easier than in 3E.

Here are some of the ways concepts evolved into what you’ll see in 4E’s weapons:

* Weapon Categories: Just like in 3E, weapon categories tell you how a weapon is used. We retained the 3E concepts of the simple to exotic gamut (albeit with different names), because they’re very useful concepts for defining the broad levels of proficiency most characters classes have. Whether a weapon is melee or ranged matters for using powers. We also used whether a weapon is one-handed or two-handed to help define how weapons function for Small characters. Size matters, but not enough to overcomplicate the weapon rules.

* Weapon Groups: We created these broad groups, which also function as keywords, to interact well with other game elements. It’s easier if a designer can rely on a group keyword to say, “This feat does X if you’re wielding an axe,” or “If you’re wielding a light blade, this power also does X.” You’ll care about these groups when you’re selecting feats and powers. The preview tells you that some powers and feats require a weapon from a certain group. However, other powers simply function better when you’re using a weapon from the appropriate group. This fact helped us create thematic feats and powers based on how we imagine weapons functioning in heroic fantasy.

* Weapon Properties: If you try throwing this melee weapon, what are the considerations? Can that weapon be used in your off-hand? How long does it take to load this projectile weapon? What happens when you use that one-handed weapon with two hands? We created weapon property keywords to help answer such questions at a glance. For instance, the thrown weapon properties allow a weapon to cross the line between melee and ranged. The words light or heavy defines whether you use Dexterity or Strength, respectively, to throw the weapon. All that information is stored in two words.

* Proficiency: The truism that skill matters met the idea that just about anyone can swing a sword and hurt someone. These combined with the 4E philosophy (unlike older versions of the D&D) that—whenever possible—lack of skill doesn’t penalize your roll; skill enhances your effectiveness instead.

--Chris Sims

When you confront villains and monsters in their lairs, you often end up in situations that can be resolved only with arms and magic. If you don’t have magical powers, you had better have a weapon or two. In fact, you might want a weapon to back up or even augment your powers.
Weapon Categories

Weapons fall into four categories. Improvised weapons aren’t weapons you train with—they’re objects you pick up to hit someone with. Punching or kicking someone is also considered an improvised weapon. Simple weapons are basic, requiring little more skill than lifting and hitting with the business end. Military weapons are designed for skilled users. Balance and precision are important factors when using military weapons, and someone without the proper training can’t use them effectively. Superior weapons are even more effective than military weapons but require special training to use. You can learn to use a superior weapon by taking the Weapon Proficiency feat.

Weapons in all four categories are further categorized as melee weapons, which you use to attack foes within reach of the weapon, or ranged weapons, which you use to fire at more distant enemies. You can’t use a ranged weapon as a melee weapon. A melee weapon with the heavy thrown or the light thrown property counts as a ranged weapon when thrown and can be used with ranged attack powers that have the weapon keyword.

Finally, weapons are classified as either one-handed or two-handed. A one-handed weapon is light enough or balanced enough to be used in one hand. A two-handed weapon is too heavy or unbalanced to use without two hands. Bows and some other weapons require two hands because of their construction.

Some one-handed weapons are light enough for you to use in your off hand while holding another one-handed weapon in your other hand. Doing this doesn’t let you make multiple attacks in a round (unless you have powers that let you do so), but you can attack with either weapon. Other one-handed weapons are large enough that you can keep a good grip on them with two hands and deal extra damage by using them as two-handed weapons.

Choosing Weapons

If you belong to a class whose powers don’t include weapon keywords, just pick weapons that you’re proficient with and that you’d like to use. If you’re a fighter or a member of any other class that has powers linked to particular weapon groups, you care more about weapons than other characters might. Be sure to consider the powers you’d like to use when choosing your weapons, and vice versa.

You want to have an option for melee combat as well as ranged combat, even if you’re not as effective at one or the other. Be sure to choose at least one of each kind of weapon. When that flying monster makes its getaway, you don’t want to be left standing around with nothing to do but hurl insults at it.
Weapon Groups

Weapon groups are families of weapons that share certain properties. They’re wielded similarly and are equally suited to certain kinds of attacks. In game terms, some powers and feats work only when you’re attacking with a weapon in a specific group.

If a weapon falls into more than one group, you can use it with powers that require a weapon from any of its groups. For example, the halberd is both an axe and a polearm, so you can use it with powers that give you an additional benefit when you wield an axe or a polearm.

* Axe
* Bow
* Crossbow
* Flail
* Hammer
* Heavy Blade
* Light Blade
* Mace
* Pick
* Polearm
* Sling
* Spear
* Staff
* Unarmed

Weapon Properties

Weapon properties define additional characteristics shared by weapons that might be in different groups.

Heavy Thrown: You hurl a thrown weapon from your hand, rather than using it to loose a projectile. A ranged basic attack with a heavy thrown weapon uses your Strength instead of your Dexterity for the attack and damage rolls.

High Crit: A high crit weapon deals more damage when you score a critical hit with it. A critical hit deals maximum weapon damage and an extra 1[W] at 1st–10th levels, an extra 2[W] at 11th–20th levels, and an extra 3[W] at 21st–30th levels. This extra damage is in addition to any critical damage the weapon supplies if it is a magic weapon.

Light Thrown: A ranged basic attack with a light thrown weapon uses your Dexterity. Light thrown weapons don’t deal as much damage as heavy thrown weapons, but some powers let you hurl several of them at once or in rapid succession.

Load: Ranged weapons that loose projectiles, including bows, crossbows, and slings, take some time to load. When a weapon shows “load free” on the Ranged Weapons table, that means you draw and load ammunition as a free action, effectively part of the action used to attack with the weapon. Any weapon that has the load property requires two hands to load, even if you can use only one hand to attack with it. (The sling, for example, is a one-handed weapon, but you need a free hand to load it.) The crossbow is “load minor,” which means it requires a minor action to load a bolt into the weapon. If a power allows you to hit multiple targets, the additional load time is accounted for in the power.

Off-Hand: An off-hand weapon is light enough that you can hold it and attack effectively with it while holding a weapon in your main hand. You can’t attack with both weapons in the same turn, unless you have a power that lets you do so, but you can attack with either weapon.

Reach: With a reach weapon, you can attack enemies that are 2 squares away from you as well as adjacent enemies, with no attack penalty. You can still make opportunity attacks only against adjacent enemies. Likewise, you can flank only an adjacent enemy.

Small: This property describes a two-handed or a versatile weapon that a Small character can use in the same way a Medium character can. A halfling can use a shortbow, for example, even though halflings can’t normally use two-handed weapons.

Versatile: Versatile weapons are one-handed, but you can use them two-handed. If you do, you deal an extra 1 point of damage when you roll damage for the weapon. A Small character such as a halfling must use a versatile weapon two-handed and doesn’t deal extra damage.

Well, it looks like they are simplifying the weapon groups, so perhaps the classes like Rogue will still be able to use Rapiers and other weapons. Or it could mean just less weapons in general.

Also sounds like to do attack with two weapons in the same round, a power will be needed. Not sure how new this is but I'm expecting the ranger to be getting it if they follow the combat styles of 3.5

Charity
2008-05-07, 02:21 AM
I seriously doubt there will be less weapons... though there is bound to be less than in 1e (I want my Bohemian ear spoon damnit!).

I thought this excerpt was a little crunch lite, maybe a table, or a weapon description or two wouldn't have gone amiss... ah well i guess we'll see the whole shebang soon enough.

TSGames
2008-05-07, 02:23 AM
Size matters, but not enough to overcomplicate the weapon rules.

lolz. Had to read that twice, the first time I thought it said "overcompensate".

Infinity_Biscuit
2008-05-07, 02:24 AM
Versatile: Versatile weapons are one-handed, but you can use them two-handed. If you do, you deal an extra 1 point of damage when you roll damage for the weapon. A Small character such as a halfling must use a versatile weapon two-handed and doesn’t deal extra damage.
Just one point of damage more, ever? Am I missing something, or is it as useless as I'm reading it?

Tai Sunstrider
2008-05-07, 02:31 AM
Huh...looks like they are really screwing over the 2H styles of combat (aww no crazy guy with a giant sword well not if he wants to maximize his killitude) just like in 3.5 2W style is where its at, the more attacks you can make the more chances to hit/crit and the more chances of dealing real damage (naturally this style was eaten alive by barbed devils).

This particular aspect of the new game does not please me although I will probably still be stealing ideas from 4e for my game.

tyckspoon
2008-05-07, 02:34 AM
Huh...looks like they are really screwing over the 2H styles of combat (aww no crazy guy with a giant sword well not if he wants to maximize his killitude) just like in 3.5 2W style is where its at, the more attacks you can make the more chances to hit/crit and the more chances of dealing real damage (naturally this style was eaten alive by barbed devils).

This particular aspect of the new game does not please me although I will probably still be stealing ideas from 4e for my game.

Er. Hi, you must be new here. Welcome to the boards. And the truth that wielding a two-handed weapon is far and away the more effective way to deal damage in 3.5. If anything they're trying to reduce the impact of weapon choice.. (although it still gives some advantage when you're swinging a 2[W] or 3[W] power. And proper two-handed weapons that don't have the option of being used one-handed may have a little higher bonus damage.)

Reel On, Love
2008-05-07, 02:40 AM

...oh, man. Look, uh, guy... two-weapon fighting doesn't just blow in 3.5, it creates a damn hurricane. You have to spend multiple feats, in order to do less average damage than a guy with a two-handed weapon.
The exception is if you have a high amount of bonus damage that applies to every attack, like a Rogue's sneak attack ability.

Also, the extra point of damage will multiply with powers that do X[W], as mentioned. It's also for one-handed weapon that happen to be used in two hands--you can fully expect greatswords to have a higher base damage.

1 point of average damage is also the 3.5 increase from a longsword and a bastard sword, and bastard swords managed to be popular enough for people to spend feats on them, somehow.

Farmer42
2008-05-07, 02:41 AM
Note that Versatile does not mean two handed, so we don't know what a weapon designed specifically for two handed combat looks like, damage-wise.

Edit: Ninja'd by tyckspoon

bosssmiley
2008-05-07, 02:46 AM
So the new weapon properties of 4th Ed. can be summed up as:

"+1 what WFB/WFRP said"

Not original, but probaby usable.

Kyalid
2008-05-07, 02:50 AM
To me it doesn't seem to have changed a bit from 3.5 to 4e, just a few minor changes for the names of things like military weapons and the definition of weapon groups like axe or light blade but everything else seems quite familiar.

Kurald Galain
2008-05-07, 04:28 AM
A big "meh" from me.

There's no need for weapons to have categories and groups and properties. This could simply be handled by one keyword line - "category" and "groups" are essentially synonyms.

Bringing back the weapon groups from 2E is good; having weapons that fit in multiple groups sounds like unnecessary complexity (but, again, easily handled by a keyword line). Also, there are too many groups, some of which are very small or tend not to get used.

High Crit is simply ironic. Months ago, they explained to us how completely awesome it was that you didn't have to roll dice for a critical hit. And next, they introduce a power that lets you roll dice for a critical hit.

Likewise, saying "it's so cool that you won't get penalties for using weapons you're not proficient with" is just plain silly, because the very next sentence states you will get bonuses for using things that you are proficient with. Of course, that is the exact same thing, except that subtraction is very difficult for most players.

I don't like the fact that you can't fight with two weapons unless you have a power. Of course, this fits with the "you can't do that" design philosophy of 4E.

Disallowing small characters from using two-handed weapons is silly (they have two hands, yes?) and the "small" keyword is just a hack to fix this.

Load and Reach are nothing new. And versatile is pretty much pointless since the bonus is too small to matter much.

So meh. Nothing really bad, nothing really good, and a lot of empty hype.

AslanCross
2008-05-07, 04:56 AM
Just one point of damage more, ever? Am I missing something, or is it as useless as I'm reading it?

We don't know how useless one point of damage is in 4E. Several feats and powers I've seen give small static bonuses, so this appears to be a new trend.

As has been mentioned earlier, 3.5's TWF sucked horribly due to the immense feat support you need for it, and the fact that you're still penalized even when you have all three TWF feats.

4E is doing away with full attacks, now you really only get one attack per round unless you have a power that allows multiple attacks per round. So TWF isn't really screwed over and it's actually a better option.

KIDS
2008-05-07, 05:20 AM
I happen to notice that the double reach with adjacent squares useless doesn't exist anymore... nice change there. Otherwise it isn't a big deal to me as long as superior (or exotic) weapons are placed adequately and not in a biased fashion like in the last PHB.

Swooper
2008-05-07, 05:50 AM
The weapon groups look nice, I'd houserule something like that if I thought my players could be bothered to learn it... But what's with the keeping weapon categories then? Why do you need to separate weapons by simple/martial/exotic (or superior or w/e) when you've already separated them by sword/axe/spear/mace etc.? :smallconfused:

I'll also agree with those who've said the Versatile thingy looks useless. Yay, another tiny insignificant modifier to keep track of (that we'll really only forget about most of the time)! :smallannoyed: It's better than spending a feat on a bastard sword, though.

Thirdly, reach weapons look screwed over. You don't threaten squares more than 5' away, nor can you flank except by being adjacent. Being able to control the battlefield to an extent via threatening and taking AoOs is the whole point of reach weapons in 3E! Now there's not as much point to them. But I guess they said they were downplaying AoOs. Bah, I say.

Finally: NOOOOOOOO they kept the spiked chain :smallmad:

Roderick_BR
2008-05-07, 06:24 AM
lack of skill doesn’t penalize your roll; skill enhances your effectiveness instead.
I like that. That's something people has been complaining all the time about 3.x.
And yes, apparently anyone can pick a weapon and hit with it. Weapon choices will matter according to your character's abilities. I.E.: Your character is still gear dependent (at least a minimum), but now the asskicking comes from your characters, not from the gear alone.
All in all, I like the notion thus far.

@Swooper: Apparently the main use of weapon groups is to say what you can and can't do with your character's powers. Simple/Martial/Exotic is still how much you can use the weapon at all. And you can attack adjacent foes with reach weapons, so you can flank. It's silly you can't flank from more than 5ft, though.

Lord Tataraus
2008-05-07, 06:49 AM
We don't know how useless one point of damage is in 4E. Several feats and powers I've seen give small static bonuses, so this appears to be a new trend.

I would argue we do know that small static bonuses will be about, or a bit less, as effective as in 3.5 because we know that HP is slightly higher.

Dervag
2008-05-07, 06:56 AM
I like that. That's something people has been complaining all the time about 3.x.This is a point, I think; I've heard quite a few objections to the way that 3rd Edition penalizes attempts to do something like tackle an opponent if you didn't think to take the Improved Tackling feat or whatever.

@Swooper: Apparently the main use of weapon groups is to say what you can and can't do with your character's powers. Simple/Martial/Exotic is still how much you can use the weapon at all. And you can attack adjacent foes with reach weapons, so you can flank. It's silly you can't flank from more than 5ft, though.Yes, it is, but I can see why they did it. On a battlespace of five-foot squares, being "opposite" an opponent who is 10 feet away isn't as well defined. I mean, do you have to stand diametrically opposite the close-combat guy you're cooperating with in the flank-attempt? What if there's an obstacle in the way?

Logic would suggest that if the monster is in square (3,3) and the guy with the dagger is in square (4,3) that I should be able to threaten him with flanking using my pike from square (1,3). But it's hard to see why I shouldn't be able to use (1,2) or (1,4) to do the same thing. If I can't, those squares are permanently useless for flanking because they aren't diametrically opposite any of the eight squares around the monster.

So I can see why they decided not to open up the whole can of worms.

The weapon groups look nice, I'd houserule something like that if I thought my players could be bothered to learn it... But what's with the keeping weapon categories then? Why do you need to separate weapons by simple/martial/exotic (or superior or w/e) when you've already separated them by sword/axe/spear/mace etc.? :smallconfused:Because not all "mace" type weapons are simple, for instance?

For instance, crossbows in 3rd Edition are Simple weapons... except for the repeating and hand crossbows, which aren't. Morning stars and warhammers are likely classified as "maces," and in 3rd Edition those were Martial weapons where the light/heavy mace were Simple. And so it goes.

A big "meh" from me.

There's no need for weapons to have categories and groups and properties. This could simply be handled by one keyword line - "category" and "groups" are essentially synonyms.

Bringing back the weapon groups from 2E is good; having weapons that fit in multiple groups sounds like unnecessary complexity (but, again, easily handled by a keyword line). Also, there are too many groups, some of which are very small or tend not to get used.It depends. For instance, the categories "one-handed/two-handed" are a relevant piece of information that has to do with what type of weapon you can use. Likewise, "simple/military."*

Whereas the group "axe" doesn't normally tell you whether you can use it; (it would be strange to have a class that can use any and all axes but no swords, for instance). It tells you details about the weapon's operation.

It would be quite possible to have one-handed or two-handed axes and simple or military axes. However, a generalized one-line category like "the set of all two-handed military axes" would be so specific that you'd need several dozen of them. That's no good.

So I think it's legitimate for them to have both 'category' and 'group' to designate weapons. The category idea is something old from 3rd Edition, but the 'group' idea is on the new side if you ask me.

As for some of the groups tending not to get used, that depends on how good a job of introducing more styles they do, no? I mean, in 3rd Edition there are a small number of objectively optimal weapons for any given style- scythe, rapier, greatsword, and so on. Much of the weapon list simply isn't as useful. They may be able to improve that.

*I think using the word "superior" is a terrible idea, because it strongly implies that every weapon which takes complex training in order to get basic mastery is superior. A double-bladed sword would take a lot of training to use without gutting yourself; this does not make it a better weapon in and of itself.

Likewise, saying "it's so cool that you won't get penalties for using weapons you're not proficient with" is just plain silly, because the very next sentence states you will get bonuses for using things that you are proficient with. Of course, that is the exact same thing, except that subtraction is very difficult for most players.It's mostly psychological, I think. Also, keep in mind that the difficulty of the weakest challenges is typically calibrated to someone with no bonuses, or with some bare minimum of bonuses. Adding penalties on top of that can rapidly reduce the player to suckage simply because they have no chance of hitting the orc with their penalty factored in and no way to raise their to-hit score back to acceptable levels.

Disallowing small characters from using two-handed weapons is silly (they have two hands, yes?) and the "small" keyword is just a hack to fix this.If they kept weapon size (as in "Small greatsword, Medium greatsword, Huge greatsword...") then yes it's kind of silly. In older editions that did not use weapon sizes, it was necessary to rule that Small characters could not use two-handed weapons. Because a halfling could not swing a greatsword, there were no halfling greatswords- there were only longswords being used by halflings as if they were greatswords.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-07, 07:34 AM
Some good information increasing my desire for the books to be in my hands.

In return, I give you the daily art preview: (He will eat your face!)

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/art_preview/20080507_114818_0.jpg

Duke of URL
2008-05-07, 07:49 AM
Other than cleaning things up from a terminology standpoint, this is little different from 3rd edition with the weapon groups variant from Unearthed Arcana, which I happen to like.

The notable differences, as have been pointed out, are reach weapons -- all reach weapons still threaten/can be used against adjacent squares, but cannot threaten non-adjacent squares even though they can be used against them -- and two-weapon fighting -- basically, you can't, except as part of a power... any guesses on which classes (*cough* Rogue *cough* Ranger *cough*) will have two-weapon powers?

SamTheCleric
2008-05-07, 07:55 AM
Rangers are the classic two-weapon fighters... I'd imagine they will get TWF powers.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-07, 08:01 AM
My bet is all the martial classes. I'm guessing they'll get a passive or at will that allows them to attack with two weapons.

Charity
2008-05-07, 08:10 AM
Rangers are the classic two-weapon fighters... I'd imagine they will get TWF powers.

http://www.enworld.org/images/4e/IMG_1244_th.JPG

If you squint really hard... or rely on the good souls of Enworld you will discover how right you are.
Rangers get TWF of some form or another, which is prob accessible through multiclassing or feats for other classes.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-07, 09:11 AM

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/art_preview/20080507_114818_0.jpg

Get in the car! >:3

Matthew
2008-05-07, 09:14 AM
Because not all "mace" type weapons are simple, for instance?

For instance, crossbows in 3rd Edition are Simple weapons... except for the repeating and hand crossbows, which aren't. Morning stars and warhammers are likely classified as "maces," and in 3rd Edition those were Martial weapons where the light/heavy mace were Simple. And so it goes.

Negatory. There's a 'Hammer' group, so only Morning Stars might qualify as more advanced. My guess is you might see things like... Light Hammer, Heavy Hammer, Great Hammer, Light Battle Hammer, Heavy Battle Hammer, Great Battle Hammer, Light War Hammer, Heavy War Hammer, Great War Hammer, Spiked Heavy Battle Hammer, etc... Adjectives are fun!

[edit]
I thought of some more... Civilian, Military, Footman's, Horseman's, Infantry, Cavalry... I think I could probably create a whole expansion book for each weapon category. Ooh, Wizard's Hammer!

A Pole Arm group and a Staff group in addition to a Spear group seems kind of bonkers to me. It looks like there's no Scimitar group, just 'light' and 'heavy' blades. That never made any friggin' sense to me, Paizo Publishing is doing the same thing in Pathfinder. Apparently, a Short Sword is sufficiently different from a Long sword to merit a separate group, but a Hand Axe is similar enough to a Great Axe to qualify for the same group. Rubbish, I say, rubbish!

If you squint really hard... or rely on the good souls of Enworld you will discover how right you are.
Rangers get TWF of some form or another, which is prob accessible through multiclassing or feats for other classes.

Ah yes, the 'classic' dual light sabre wielding Ranger. Rubbish, I say, rubbish! :smallwink:

Get in the car! >:3

Nice looking piece, that. I doubt he'd fit in my car, though.

Charity
2008-05-07, 09:24 AM
Negatory. There's a 'Hammer' group, so only Morning Stars might qualify as more advanced. My guess is you might see things like... Light Hammer, Heavy hammer, great hammer, Light Battle Hammer, Heavy Battle Hammer, Great battle Hammer, Light War Hammer, Heavy War Hammer, Great War Hammer. Adjectives are fun!

You forgot the famous Scottish weapon
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2395/1578329554_a92301c81c_o.png
... well you started it...

A Pole Arm group and a Staff group in addition to a Spear group seems kind of bonkers to me. It looks like there's no Scimitar group, just 'light' and 'heavy' blades. That never made any friggin' sense to me, Paizo Publishing is doing the same thing in Pathfinder. Apparently, a Short Sword is sufficiently different from a Long sword to merit a separate group, but a Hand Axe is similar enough to a Great Axe to qualify for the same group. Rubbish, I say, rubbish!

Ah yes, the 'classic' dual light sabre wielding Ranger. Rubbish, I say, rubbish! :smallwink:

Well it's like any of these things they post weapons into boxes often only considering their names, or appearance, though in their defence spears are often used one handed whereas polearms are not. except in very unusal circumstances

Matthew
2008-05-07, 09:32 AM
Well it's like any of these things they post weapons into boxes often only considering their names, or appearance, though in their defence spears are often used one handed whereas polearms are not. except in very unusal circumstances

Yeah, like when they're short handled... in any case, not much of a defence when both Great Axe and Hand Axe get to be in the same group! I wonder if 4e will actually let characters use ordinary spears one handed? I suppose they'll have the 'versitile' key word (Key Word!?).

Anyway, I would require both Axe and Spear for something like a Halberd, which is incidently something they are recognising elsewhere (Halberds can be used as both Axes and Spears for the purposes of powers), but are not actually capitalising on in this instance.

Rubbish, I say, rubbish!

Jarlax
2008-05-07, 09:38 AM
i like the core concept of new TWF, ok you cant use both weapons at once, but your also not being penalized for holding one in your off hand.

so heres the deal, if your class cant use shields or two handed weapons (eg. rouge) you should carry two different types of weapons. the reason, to maximize weapon type powers that rely on separate weapon types (melee vs ranged, or blade vs axe, etc) or simple combat flexibility. for example on your rouge put a short sword in your main hand, and a dagger in your offhand.

im making quite a few assumptions about what daggers can do in 4e, but lets assume they are a light thrown offhand weapon, not a massive stretch. your using your shortsword almost all the time in your main hand. but any time you need a quick ranged attack, there it is loaded in your offhand with a +1 on the attack roll. later on you might enchant your weapons separately, fire on your shortsword and frost on your dagger.

the basic point is your not being penalized for filling your offhand slot, and its not doing anything otherwise. why not use it.

Telonius
2008-05-07, 09:58 AM
Finally: NOOOOOOOO they kept the spiked chain :smallmad:

Hmm. I had that thought too. But upon closer inspection, that appears to be a set of morningstar-chucks.

Rutee
2008-05-07, 09:59 AM
Hmm. I had that thought too. But upon closer inspection, that appears to be a set of morningstar-chucks.

....If that goes in without Sword Chucks, it will be a /travesty/.

Charity
2008-05-07, 10:00 AM
Yeah, like when they're short handled... in any case, not much of a defence when both Great Axe and Hand Axe get to be in the same group! I wonder if 4e will actually let characters use ordinary spears one handed? I suppose they'll have the 'versitile' key word (Key Word!?).

Anyway, I would require both Axe and Spear for something like a Halberd, which is incidently something they are recognising elsewhere (Halberds can be used as both Axes and Spears for the purposes of powers), but are not actually capitalising on in this instance.

Rubbish, I say, rubbish!

:smallbiggrin: Your white text fu is strong.
These weapon groups are not, as far as I'm aware for any kind of proficiency purposes. They are grouping to use with certain powers (mostly martial I imagine) that being the case the groupings might be as simple as what sort of injury they inflict, axe chopping, sword slashing, hammer mashing etc... this is of course pure conjecture but still it's all about simplicity and I guess the powers might include several groups depending on how they are deemed to function.
ie. Bonk on the nose with the blunt end - you can use this power with any two handed axe, staff or polearm...

Matthew
2008-05-07, 10:15 AM
i like the core concept of new TWF, ok you cant use both weapons at once, but your also not being penalized for holding one in your off hand.

so heres the deal, if your class cant use shields or two handed weapons (eg. rouge) you should carry two different types of weapons. the reason, to maximize weapon type powers that rely on separate weapon types (melee vs ranged, or blade vs axe, etc) or simple combat flexibility. for example on your rouge put a short sword in your main hand, and a dagger in your offhand.

im making quite a few assumptions about what daggers can do in 4e, but lets assume they are a light thrown offhand weapon, not a massive stretch. your using your shortsword almost all the time in your main hand. but any time you need a quick ranged attack, there it is loaded in your offhand with a +1 on the attack roll. later on you might enchant your weapons separately, fire on your shortsword and frost on your dagger.

the basic point is your not being penalized for filling your offhand slot, and its not doing anything otherwise. why not use it.

Okay, not sure if I am understanding you here, but I think you are misunderstanding D20 Two Weapon Fighting. If not, ignore me.

Your character's main attack is not penalised merely for holding a weapon in his off hand, unless you declare that he is two weapon fighting. So, for instance, if a character with a Long Sword in each hand uses a conventional charge action, he is not penalised in any way.

However, if you want your character to attack with the weapon in his off hand in the same round as the weapon in his primary hand, then attacks with the 'off hand' will be at -4 Attack Bonus and 1/2 Strength Bonus Multiplier. If your character is ambidextrous (by way of a Proficiency in AD&D, a Feat in 3.0 and 'by methods unclear' in 3.5) then you will not suffer the penalty to hit, though the half multiplier will still apply.

Certainly, getting rid of the 1/2 Strength Bonus Multiplier with off hand attacks is a good idea, twas a silly D20ism.

:smallbiggrin: Your white text fu is strong.

Easy when you know how.

These weapon groups are not, as far as I'm aware for any kind of proficiency purposes. They are grouping to use with certain powers (mostly martial I imagine) that being the case the groupings might be as simple as what sort of injury they inflict, axe chopping, sword slashing, hammer mashing etc... this is of course pure conjecture but still it's all about simplicity and I guess the powers might include several groups depending on how they are deemed to function.
ie. Bonk on the nose with the blunt end - you can use this power with any two handed axe, staff or polearm...

Yeah, I might have been falling back into my Pathfinder rant... :smallbiggrin: Still, that doesn't make it any less pointless. Why treat a Halberd as an 'Axe' and a 'Pole Arm' instead of as an 'Axe' and a 'Spear'? Why arbitrarily distinguish between Short Sword (assuming it's a Light Blade, of course) and Long Sword, but not Hand Axe and Great Axe? Rubbish, I say, rubbish.

Mewtarthio
2008-05-07, 10:34 AM
Yeah, I might have been falling back into my Pathfinder rant... :smallbiggrin: Still, that doesn't make it any less pointless. Why treat a Halberd as an 'Axe' and a 'Pole Arm' instead of as an 'Axe' and a 'Spear'? Why arbitrarily distinguish between Short Sword (assuming it's a Light Blade, of course) and Long Sword, but not Hand Axe and Great Axe? Rubbish, I say, rubbish.

The halberd thing is probably just a case of WotC not really doing enough research into their weapons. Either that, or the Polearm designation is applied to all "really long" weapons, and they didn't want to give the halberd three categories for balance purposes.

As for the Longsword/Short sword discrepancy: I figured that "Light Blade" meant stuff like knives, which would definately merit a separate category.

Draz74
2008-05-07, 10:38 AM
I'm still trying to figure out the interactions of halflings picking up weapons.

So no weapons are versatile for halflings? It's impossible to make a sword of a certain size, such that a halfling can use it either one-handed or two-handed? Because if it's "versatile," small characters have to use it two-handed. Wait. Unless it's "versatile" and "small." Then ... a human can use it 1H or 2H, and a halfling can also use it 1H or 2H. I can't imagine what such a weapon could be, and it still doesn't meet the description of the sword that I was describing earlier (because it's still big enough for the human to use 2H).

Meanwhile, assuming a short sword is too small to be Versatile, a halfling and a human use it exactly the same way? Goofy.

And how does this new weapon size rule interact with Large creatures?

Like a lot of other things in 4e (including other stuff in this article), this rule seems to be elegant in its simplicity ... until you look at it closely and realize that it's going to lead to a lot of arguments or oblivious deliberate overlooking of the rules (or, in the best possible scenario, improvisation of new rules).

(Oh, and whoever thought that the new Versatile rule meant no more stupid feat spendage on the Bastard Sword ... I doubt it. I bet the Bastard Sword is now a Superior Weapon. Identical to the Longsword in its properties and keywords, but just does more damage because you have to spend a feat on it. And to the OP: they already mentioned that Rapiers are a Superior Weapon, so no, rogues can't use it without a feat. The upshot of all this is, at least "Superior Weapon" is no longer synonymous with "weapon that is either Asian and is classified as superior for the sake of wuxia fanboys, or that no one in their right mind would ever use (e.g. Dire Flail)." They're recognizing some real, practical weapons as "superior" (I think "exotic" was a better term).)

Matthew
2008-05-07, 10:48 AM
The halberd thing is probably just a case of WotC not really doing enough research into their weapons. Either that, or the Polearm designation is applied to all "really long" weapons, and they didn't want to give the halberd three categories for balance purposes.

Maybe, in which case very long spears become Pole Arms. Bah! Maybe Pole Arms do some sort of combination attacks...

As for the Longsword/Short sword discrepancy: I figured that "Light Blade" meant stuff like knives, which would definately merit a separate category.
I doubt it. They've gone to the trouble to distinguish between Mace and Hammer, but they're not distinguishing between Scimitar/Falchion, Falcatta and 'Sword'. I've seen this 'light' versus 'heavy' blade thing before in AD&D 2e (but then it was long versus short). Still, they might surprise me (mind, if you're not distinguishing betweeen a Danish Axe and a Francisca, is it really arguable that daggers and knives merit a separate category from swords? I dunno...).

Draz74
2008-05-07, 10:50 AM
Matthew, I think you've got the wrong idea about 4e TWF. It's really not similar to 3e TWF at all. Instead, it's being hit by the "you can't do this unless you have an ability that lets you" syndrome. The one that you felt was far too prevalent in 3e, but that they're taking much further in 4e. :smallmad: It sounds like just holding a big weapon (or other object) in your off-hand will penalize attacks with your main hand (why, I don't know). The "off-hand" keyword negates this penalty. And no matter what, you can't attack with weapons in both hands in the same round unless a Power lets you do so.

As far as the axe/spear/polearm ... I can see that. I'm not sure how useful the Spear keyword will be, as I have trouble figuring out what powers should be usable with a spear, that shouldn't also be usable with polearms in general. But I agree ... a halberd, in basic terms, is not a "spear." It's a polearm ... with an axe on the side of it.

I can only imagine that longer spears -- at least any spear long enough to grant Reach -- will have both the Spear and Polearm keywords.

I do kind of like the idea that "weapons that are traditional specialties for awesome fighters, like the halberd, can be cool in this game by having multiple Group Keywords, so that a fighter who specializes in them has a larger-than-normal selection of powers to choose from that work with his chosen weapon."

I agree, though, that the division of swords by size, but not axes, is a silly double standard. Maybe a lot of powers will require you to be wielding an axe, specifically one-handed or two-handed?

Matthew
2008-05-07, 10:55 AM
I'm still trying to figure out the interactions of halflings picking up weapons.

This was actually the rule in previous editions. All it means is that a Short Sword is the same thing as a Small Long Sword. There'll probably be race appropriate sized weapons, like the Halfling Short Sword. Bear in mind that the Small/Medium size thing in D&D is pretty arbitrary. A 150 lb 4' Dwarf should not realistically be able to use the same sized weapons as a 250 lb 6'6" Human, but in D20 they can.

Matthew, I think you've got the wrong idea about 4e TWF. It's really not similar to 3e TWF at all. Instead, it's being hit by the "you can't do this unless you have an ability that lets you" syndrome. The one that you felt was far too prevalent in 3e, but that they're taking much further in 4e. :smallmad: It sounds like just holding a big weapon (or other object) in your off-hand will penalize attacks with your main hand (why, I don't know). The "off-hand" keyword negates this penalty. And no matter what, you can't attack with weapons in both hands in the same round unless a Power lets you do so.

I think it works like this:

One Handed Weapon + One Handed Weapon - Can only attack with main hand
One Handed Weapon + Light One Handed Weapon - Can attack with either hand freely
One Handed Weapon + Light One Handed Weapon + Power - Can attack with both weapons at the same time

Looks like a bit of 'give and take', probably more restrictive in the long run (but, hey, maybe two weapon fighting is awesome in 4e!?). You're right, though, I do think it's maddeningly restrictive and it looks as though it will continue to be, but with a bit of a disguise (no more penalties, only bonuses).

As far as the axe/spear/polearm ... I can see that. I'm not sure how useful the Spear keyword will be, as I have trouble figuring out what powers should be usable with a spear, that shouldn't also be usable with polearms in general. But I agree ... a halberd, in basic terms, is not a "spear." It's a polearm ... with an axe on the side of it.

I can only imagine that longer spears -- at least any spear long enough to grant Reach -- will have both the Spear and Polearm keywords.

I do kind of like the idea that "weapons that are traditional specialties for awesome fighters, like the halberd, can be cool in this game by having multiple Group Keywords, so that a fighter who specializes in them has a larger-than-normal selection of powers to choose from that work with his chosen weapon."

Yeah, I do like the idea of specific weapons doing specific things. We'll see how it turns out, though.

I agree, though, that the division of swords by size, but not axes, is a silly double standard. Maybe a lot of powers will require you to be wielding an axe, specifically one-handed or two-handed?

Probably, but then we're back into 'resource allocation' with Powers instead of Feats [i.e. the more specific and numerous the powers, the more you need]. Of course, Powers may simply work differently depending on various factors, which would side step that issue.

Charity
2008-05-07, 10:57 AM

Easily done, easily done..
About the polearm/spear stuff, well I can sheild them up to a point... but yeah there are bound to be a few odd choices, but meh.
The shortsword thing is somewhat more tricksome as shortsword is a catch all for all sorts of shortish bladed weapons from poniard to machete, it is difficult to classify exactly as it is not in itself well defined.

Matthew
2008-05-07, 11:14 AM
The shortsword thing is somewhat more tricksome as shortsword is a catch all for all sorts of shortish bladed weapons from poniard to machete, it is difficult to classify exactly as it is not in itself well defined.

Yeah, interestingly Gygax actually went to the trouble to define the D&D Short Sword in the 1e PHB 'includes all pointed cutting & thrusting weapons with blade length between 15” and 24”.' Of course, I prefer the Japanese guideline of between 1 and 2 shaku (1 shaku = about 12", conveniently). I wonder if Wizards of the Coast will be bold enough to define their own terms? :smallbiggrin:

Draz74
2008-05-07, 11:46 AM
I'm not sure how useful the Spear keyword will be, as I have trouble figuring out what powers should be usable with a spear, that shouldn't also be usable with polearms in general.

Follow-up to my own comment. People at ENWorld are pointing out that Lances may fall under the "spear" group. Interesting ... but it makes me even more confused.

What can a Fighter do as a special move, with either a javelin, a lance, or a longspear (which is also a Polearm), that he couldn't do with other weapons?

Matthew
2008-05-07, 12:03 PM
Having thought a bit on it, Draz, my guess is 'combination attacks' (dunno if you saw my edited post above). Maybe some Powers use 'Pole Arm' to allow a 'Spear and Strike' event. It would be hard to express that as 'Spear and Axe', because you might want it to extend to other Pole Arms, but not Spears.

So, perhaps effects that rely on something like 'Slash/Bludgeon an adjacent opponent and Spear an opponent 10' away' or even 'push an adjacent opponent back to 10' and then strike him.'

Still, if Halberds don't have the 'Spear' Key Word, it means that Spears can do some things that Pole Arms cannot as well, which I guess makes sense. That said, it might be the case that 90% of Powers with the 'Spear' key Word also have the 'Pole Arm' Key Word. Gives me a headache just thinking about it. :smallwink:

Ruzak
2008-05-07, 12:16 PM
Yeah, interestingly Gygax actually went to the trouble to define the D&D Short Sword in the 1e PHB 'includes all pointed cutting & thrusting weapons with blade length between 15” and 24”.' Of course, I prefer the Japanese guideline of between 1 and 2 shaku (1 shaku = about 12", conveniently). I wonder if Wizards of the Coast will be bold enough to define their own terms? :smallbiggrin:
In 4e shortswords are between 0.2 and 0.4 squares.

Matthew
2008-05-07, 12:31 PM
In 4e shortswords are between 0.2 and 0.4 squares.

Hah, hah. I think that would be great fodder for OotS if it were going 4e. :smallbiggrin:

Ruzak
2008-05-07, 12:38 PM
Did anyone ever TWF without the feats in 3.5? We never did, and so for us the restriction is not a big deal. If anything, phrasing the TWF feat as a lessening of the "usual" penalties was just awkward.

I have a feeling the Off-Hand weapon property is going to be more relevant to those in 4e with the TWF ability.

Draz74
2008-05-07, 12:56 PM
if Halberds don't have the 'Spear' Key Word, it means that Spears can do some things that Pole Arms cannot as well, which I guess makes sense.

Right. I guess I wasn't very clear. I can imagine tricks that can be done with all polearms, but not (for example) javelins. What I'm having trouble with is imagining tricks that all spears can do, but halberds can't. (Especially if "Spear" includes normal spears, longspears, javelins, and lances.)

kme
2008-05-07, 01:05 PM
I wonder will the scaling damage that you get from critical actually matter.

kc0bbq
2008-05-07, 01:30 PM
I wonder will the scaling damage that you get from critical actually matter.No, nothing matters. That's why you have tieflings as a playable class.

Mewtarthio
2008-05-07, 02:00 PM
Right. I guess I wasn't very clear. I can imagine tricks that can be done with all polearms, but not (for example) javelins. What I'm having trouble with is imagining tricks that all spears can do, but halberds can't. (Especially if "Spear" includes normal spears, longspears, javelins, and lances.)

I can't offer any citations, but I recall hearing somewhere that some Spear power lets you penetrate a target's armor (which, I think, means a STR vs REF attack).

Charity
2008-05-07, 02:03 PM
No, nothing matters. That's why you have tieflings as a playable class.

non sequitur (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non_sequitur)2
i'm impressed

Starbuck_II
2008-05-07, 05:33 PM
My worries is they will nerf Slings again.

They finally fixed (improved) Slings in Saga Edition.

Now they might nerf them back to 3.5's flawed version.

In case no one remembers (though it is still 3rd era I believe as 4th age comes in June): Loading is a move action and takes 2 hands + provokes.
This made it sucky compared to any other ranged option.
They limited range to suck too.

Saga made loading free, range was same as Bow (which is historically backed), though damage was lower (but I was cool with a minor problem like that).

Farmer42
2008-05-07, 05:39 PM
Sneak attack with a sling and watch as the failed massive damage roll results in the monster's brain flying out the back of their head.

kc0bbq
2008-05-07, 05:41 PM
non sequitur (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non_sequitur)2
i'm impressedEhh, it's not exactly non sequitur. It was a dig at the slightly exaggerated emo nature of tieflings in 4e. :P I debated putting "/wrists" at the end but I thought it was unnecessary.

Matthew
2008-05-07, 07:02 PM
Did anyone ever TWF without the feats in 3.5? We never did, and so for us the restriction is not a big deal. If anything, phrasing the TWF feat as a lessening of the "usual" penalties was just awkward.

Well... not very likely. However, if you had ever played with the much lower penalties of none D20 D&D, you might have noticed. That said, D20 feels pretty restrictive to me in general, which is to say it is part of a general problem I have with the system.

I have a feeling the Off-Hand weapon property is going to be more relevant to those in 4e with the TWF ability.

Probably, which is part of what I find annoying. If you invest in two weapon fighting, you end up making every effort to use it because of the character building resources it eats up. That's fine for Drizzt, but not so good for emulating better classic fantasy figures (I'm thinking of films like Excalibur and Conan, as well as the BBC Ivanhoe Mini Series, which each feature moments where characters suddenly decide to use an off hand weapon and presumably think it is to their advantage for some reason.

Okay, following you now. No idea; I guess as Mewtarthio says, it could be something like bypassing/overcoming armour. My guess would be that you can do more 'Dexterity' based things than with Pole Arms. Perhaps things like 'double attacks', on the premise that Pole Arms are too slow and unwieldy to make quick stabs with (not true by any means, but I could probably imagine it :smallwink:).

Jarlax
2008-05-08, 06:58 AM
Okay, not sure if I am understanding you here, but I think you are misunderstanding D20 Two Weapon Fighting. If not, ignore me.

However, if you want your character to attack with the weapon in his off hand in the same round as the weapon in his primary hand, then attacks with the 'off hand' will be at -4 Attack Bonus and 1/2 Strength Bonus Multiplier. If your character is ambidextrous (by way of a Proficiency in AD&D, a Feat in 3.0 and 'by methods unclear' in 3.5) then you will not suffer the penalty to hit, though the half multiplier will still apply.

Certainly, getting rid of the 1/2 Strength Bonus Multiplier with off hand attacks is a good idea, twas a silly D20ism.

actually the penalties your describing are "always on" you take a -4 to attack ANY time you use a weapon in your off hand, whether you attack with your main hand in that round or not. representing an attack dealt by your weaker hand.

the new article does not mention any penalties for off hand attacks, possibly since defining a main or off hand does not matter in an environment where the average character cannot make attacks with two weapons. so now equipping your PC with two weapons gives you the options i discussed earlier.

Matthew
2008-05-08, 07:50 AM
actually the penalties your describing are "always on" you take a -4 to attack ANY time you use a weapon in your off hand, whether you attack with your main hand in that round or not. representing an attack dealt by your weaker hand.

the new article does not mention any penalties for off hand attacks, possibly since defining a main or off hand does not matter in an environment where the average character cannot make attacks with two weapons. so now equipping your PC with two weapons gives you the options i discussed earlier.
Sorry mate, but you are either misreading me or I am misreading you (or one of us is wrong). There are a couple of issues to deal with. First is how you decide which hand is your 'off hand'. In 3.5 it's determined on a round to round basis, but in 3.0 it was fixed as being a character's left (or right, if the character was left handed). So, what I'm saying above is that if your character does not attack with his 'right' hand in D20 1.5, then he is free to designate his 'left' hand as his main hand; sorry if I wasn't clear.

In 3.0, the Ambidexterity Feat removed the 'Off Hand' AB penalty entirely, so a character was free to attack with his right or left hand without AB penalty, unless he chose to use two weapon fighting. In 3.5, Ambidexterity was rolled into Two Weapon Fighting, but it's unknown how that interacts with the 'off hand'/'main hand' situation.

This is because the only mention of the -4 AB penalty for the Off Hand in the 3.5 PHB is in the Glossary entry, which also directly contradicts the idea that 'off hand' is not fixed. This is because the Glossary was directly ported from the D20 1.0 PHB. To put it another way, at no point in the the main text of the 3.5 PHB does it say "attacks made with a character's off hand suffer a -4 AB penalty", though it often says "attacks made with a character's off hand suffer a 0.5 Strength Bonus Multiplier penalty".

You could potentially infer that a -4 AB penalty exists from the two weapon fighting rules, but you could just as easily also infer that the two weapon fighting feat removes it. In any case, neither inference would be an actual rule. For that, we are dependent on the Gloassary entry.

Now admittedly, a strict reading of the 3.5 PHB would result in the 'off hand' being 'fixed' as a character's weak hand, and that would make a lot of things easier (I would certainly prefer it), but it is apparently not the way Wizards of the Coast currently interpret the text.

You can read more here:

Rules of the Game - Two Handed Fighting 1 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20060829a)
Rules of the Game - Two Handed Fighting 2 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20060905a)
Rules of the Game - Two Handed Fighting 3 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20060912a)

I hope that helps.

horseboy
2008-05-08, 06:41 PM
This is my favorite part:
* Proficiency: The truism that skill matters met the idea that just about anyone can swing a sword and hurt someone. Does that "someone" include the guy that doesn't know what he's doing with it, or his buddy standing next to him? If I had a nickel for every Yahoo I saw swinging a sword and nicking himself or his buddy next to him...
Then of course, there's all the times I saw guys rack themselves playing with nun-chucks at the flea market. Never gets old.

tyckspoon
2008-05-08, 06:52 PM
This is my favorite part: Does that "someone" include the guy that doesn't know what he's doing with it, or his buddy standing next to him? If I had a nickel for every Yahoo I saw swinging a sword and nicking himself or his buddy next to him...

Sure. Doesn't make it less true, really. You get the basic idea of 'sharp end goes in the other guy' and the basic weapon-safety practic of never drawing it unless you fully intend to hurt somebody with it, and that's all you need to know to hurt things with a sword. You can learn to hurt things better, more elegantly, defend yourself better.. but there really isn't any special trick to the basic function of a sword.

Danzaver
2008-05-08, 07:26 PM
4e is actually starting to look fairly good...

I sure hope it is backwards compatible. I don't want to go buy 1000 new books ;_;

Starbuck_II
2008-05-08, 08:02 PM
4e is actually starting to look fairly good...

I sure hope it is backwards compatible. I don't want to go buy 1000 new books ;_;

Yeah, no, mechically, it wouldn't be backwards compatible. Flavor/Fluff maybe.
But be ye of good cheer: you don't have to go beyond Core books. Plus, 1000? Stop going third party will solve that issue.

Roderick_BR
2008-05-08, 08:50 PM
Where does it say that carrying a weapon (or other object), without using it, gives a penalty? At worst, it looks like carrying a 2nd weapon is just useless, unless you have the right abilities, to actually TW-fight, or different abilities for different weapon types. Like, if you have a long sword, and a short sword, and have only "light blade" abilities, you are better off dropping the short sword and picking up a shield :smallannoyed:

Matthew
2008-05-08, 09:23 PM
Where does it say that carrying a weapon (or other object), without using it, gives a penalty? At worst, it looks like carrying a 2nd weapon is just useless, unless you have the right abilities, to actually TW-fight, or different abilities for different weapon types. Like, if you have a long sword, and a short sword, and have only "light blade" abilities, you are better off dropping the short sword and picking up a shield :smallannoyed:

It's the bit about using 'appropriate off hand weapons' that gives that impression. I don't think there will actually be a penalty (since those have been removed for most of 4e), but it does look like you will physically be unable to use a Long Sword that is in your Off Hand without the appropriate power, regardless of whether you are two weapon fighting or not.

Kurald Galain
2008-05-09, 03:33 AM
Yeah, no, mechically, it wouldn't be backwards compatible. Flavor/Fluff maybe.

Not if you play in the Realms, it won't :smallbiggrin: