PDA

View Full Version : Your First [4e] Character?

SamTheCleric
2008-05-07, 08:00 AM
So, Fourth Edition is a mere month away and we've all (mostly) been salivating over the preview material provided to us. Being the geeks and gamers that we are, we do not go into anything without a few dozen plans in place (like Batman!)...

So what are your thoughts on your first 4e character? And by 4e character I mean a character for the Fourth Edition of Dungeons and Dragons, not a 3.5 character or a pathfinder or a exalted or any other thing you wish to put here in place of the actual discussion. :smallwink:

For me? I'll be DMing in the home game, but in Living Forgotten Realms I'm either going with a Dragonborn Cleric or a Halfling Ranger (With some Rogue for flavor)

Eldariel
2008-05-07, 08:03 AM
Elf Fighter/Wizard (no, not Eladrin - Elf)

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-07, 08:03 AM
A Human fighter or Warlord. Perhaps, finally, I'll get a chance to play Kanzaeris Kelshen, the gallant veteran swashbuckler, withotu having to be the mechanic's dog.

RTGoodman
2008-05-07, 08:23 AM
Well, I've got several I want to play, but I think my first is going to be a Dwarf or Human Warlord. I just love the concept of the class (Marshal, for all it's problems, is one of my favorite classes, as is Crusader), and I like a lot of the crunch that's been revealed already anyway.

Of course, I'll probably end up just DMing, so I don't know how long it'll be before I actually get to play 4E.

Hzurr
2008-05-07, 08:31 AM
That's....a great question. Odds are, I'll actually be DMing the first 4e campaign (although I'd prefer to be a player), but when I finally do get around to playing, I like the look of the warlord, but I'm also interested in rogue and warlock. No idea as far as what race, though.

Charity
2008-05-07, 08:33 AM
Paladin/warlock (star pact)
Maybe dragonborn (just cos they're shiny and new)
maybe halfelf (as they have always been shabby, but apparantly they multiclass well now)
Or I may fall back on good old bog standard Human.
I want to find some Fate allied deity for the Paladin side.

Xefas
2008-05-07, 08:48 AM
I'm thinking a Half Elven Inspiring Warlord multiclassed with Paladin.

He has seen the wonders of the Upper Planes, and though he serves no deity in particular, he'd like to tell you about the great options the afterlife has to offer if you're willing to die in glorious battle for the sake of the greater justice, and if that happens to give you a +4 power bonus to Armor Class for the rest of the turn, well so be it.

That is, unless we're playing an Evil Campaign, in which case I'll probably play a mechanical Tiefling Warlock who is fluffed as some kind of Devil who has innate Devil powers that just happen to look like Warlock powers. Maybe an Incubus so I can debate about the mechanical benefits of "Crotchless Leather Pants".

SamTheCleric
2008-05-07, 08:50 AM
Maybe an Incubus so I can debate about the mechanical benefits of "Crotchless Leather Pants".

+4 Diplomacy (vs females), +12 intimidate (vs males), -4 Bluff (vs females in cold weather).

Telonius
2008-05-07, 08:51 AM
Most likely a Halfling Rogue, though possibly a Dwarf Warlord.

Sholos
2008-05-07, 08:52 AM
Some sort of Rogue or Warlock. Non-tiefling.

Keld Denar
2008-05-07, 08:53 AM
My first Living Forgotten Realms character will probably be a Gnome Wanderer Cleric. I got the card from DDXP that lets me play one, so might as well. Cleric seemed like a neat class, with almost every ability they have doing ranged damage and giving a bonus to allies. Seems like a handy ability. I also have cards for orc and shadar'kai, so I'll be interested in seeing what their stats are. I'll probably make a big orc fighter just because from the DDXP sample play I did, it looks really fun to push someone around with Tide of Iron. I don't know if I'll play a striker for a bit, sounds like a lot of people want to, though. Wizard seemed really cool though, and at 1st level, sleep is just as imba as ever!

Xefas
2008-05-07, 09:12 AM
+4 Diplomacy (vs females), +12 intimidate (vs males), -4 Bluff (vs females in cold weather).

I can see it now.

DM: "Your skill check fails. The Duke can't be intimidated"
Me: "Oh, he can't, can he? I poke out one of his eyes!"
DM: "You'd have to get up and move PAST all his guards!"
Me: "I never said I was getting up."
DM: ":smalleek: :smallannoyed: :smallamused: The guards get an Attack of Opportunity."
Me: "Oh, okay. What's my junk's AC?"
DM: ":smalleek: :smallannoyed: :smallsigh: Nevermind, he isn't immune to Intimidation. Roll your check."

Jarlax
2008-05-07, 09:13 AM
That's....a great question. Odds are, I'll actually be DMing the first 4e campaign.

same here, when i do get to play though im definitely running a Fighter then i will dip into warlord at 4th to take the multiclass feat(granting me inspiring word 1/day) and the novice power feat(granting me a warlord encounter power) i wont take the acolyte or adept feats since i don't think they would really add to the build. obviously for something like a fighter/wizard taking a wizard spell as a daily power would make more sense.

i think they are two classes that will blend well in the new system. using the fighters class features to reduce opponents combat power, and a warlords class powers to improve my allies combat power

race-wise its probably going to be dragonborn. the speculation at the moment is that they grant +2 str and +2 cha with their dragon breath and dragon fury (whenever your bloodied gain +1 on attack and damage rolls) powers so it seems like a strong choice for a tank

kjones
2008-05-07, 09:14 AM
A tiefling. Named Sorrow.

The rest just writes itself.

Talya
2008-05-07, 09:18 AM
Apparently, my first 4e character will be a Night Caste Solar Exalt.

A tiefling. Named Sorrow.

Sorrow is the meaning of one of my favorite Irish-Gaelic names: Deirdre.

AKA_Bait
2008-05-07, 09:20 AM
Probably a Wizard, since I want to test out balance.

I figure that I might as well start with the most overpowered base class in 3.x and see what they did with it. WotC has had a tendency in the past to hit overpowered classes from previous editions with a nerf sledge hammer (cough Paladins cough) so I'm curious to see if they did it again, or didn't do it enough.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-07, 09:20 AM

I'm suprised it took till post 15 to get a non 4e answer. :smalltongue:

Isomenes
2008-05-07, 09:25 AM
Honestly? A 63-year-old human cleric. Boring, I'm sure, but I've never to this point really played with divine magic characters, so I figure I'll make my inaugural 4E one a cleric. And I am sort of partial to humans, for ill or good.

AKA_Bait
2008-05-07, 09:26 AM

Come now, be reasonable.

Sorrow is the meaning of one of my favorite Irish-Gaelic names: Deirdre.

Huh. Didn't know that. Should have, given the irishness and all. Then again, neither of my grandparents who were born in Ireland could do more than curse in Gaelic...

Note to self: don't name female children Deirdre.

Ralfarius
2008-05-07, 09:37 AM
Dwarf something. Dwarf is as far as I care, the rest will be left to any inspiration I receive once reading through the books.

pasko77
2008-05-07, 09:41 AM
DM :)

Or else, Paladin. SMITE EVERYTHING!!!

Overlard
2008-05-07, 09:47 AM
Tiefling rogue. Avoiding the emo stereotype, and going for a good clean "stabbing people is fun isn't it?" type.

Badgerish
2008-05-07, 09:47 AM
I may well be DMing, come 4e, but...

1) the 1st character that i want to play is definitely a fighter! (probably a dwarf as dwarf-with-axe-and-shield is very much an iconic fighter-image for me)
His combat style will be very getting-in-their-face with lots of charging and tide-of-iron! Big on SMASH, counting coup and drinking ale. (provisional but corny backstory had him being alot more staid and hesitant in his past, until there was a time when he stopped to carefully appraise the situation which was the worst option and people where hurt/killed because of it)

The other ideas i'm thinking through are 2) an Eldarin wizard, warlock or wizard-warlock
(but i really need to see more info on warlocks, mainly on the star-pact and if there is anyway to make them dependent on a non-charisma stat)

3) a plant/animal themed Elf Cleric. Who refers to himself as a druid (still need more cleric info)

Skjaldbakka
2008-05-07, 09:49 AM
A half-celestial mind-flayer paladin (or equivalent), the captain of a spelljammer vessel bent on eradicating evil from the multiverse. Which only makes sense in spelljammer.

Not excited about 4e, but am very excited about Spelljammer being re-released. Hope that isn't just a rumor.

Any discussion yet on the possibility of things like half-celestial characters in 4e. Will they even be possible?

Talya
2008-05-07, 09:49 AM
I'm suprised it took till post 15 to get a non 4e answer. :smalltongue:

Come now, be reasonable.

I am being reasonable...because it's true! To "celebrate" the release of 4e, my DM is putting our D&D campaign on temporary hiatus, and trying out Exalted 2e for a month or two. We would not be doing that if not for the release of 4e, but he despises 4e so much he's actually staging what amounts to a personal protest by not touching WotC products for a month or two.

I don't really mind, as much as I'm enjoying our D&D campaign, I have wanted to try out Exalted for a while.

AKA_Bait
2008-05-07, 09:54 AM
I am being reasonable...because it's true! To "celebrate" the release of 4e, my DM is putting our D&D campaign on temporary hiatus, and trying out Exalted 2e for a month or two. We would not be doing that if not for the release of 4e, but he despises 4e so much he's actually staging what amounts to a personal protest by not touching WotC products for a month or two.

I don't really mind, as much as I'm enjoying our D&D campaign, I have wanted to try out Exalted for a while.

That being true and all, it still isn't what your first 4e character will be. It's what you will be doing instead of playing a 4e character and thus not responsive to what the thread is actually about. It also comes across as somewhat antagonistic for no particular reason.

KIDS
2008-05-07, 09:56 AM
Dragonborn Rogue with a slight nature's bent, I hope that new skills let me take Survival/Nature (or whatever) as trained and Priest Training (something nature-related) as a feat. Looking forward to it!

Draz74
2008-05-07, 09:56 AM
Something multiclass. I'm thinking one of the following, depending on how viable the specific multiclassing mechanics look:

Halfling Witch-Doctor (Warlock/Wizard)
Elf Ranger/Fighter or Fighter/Rogue
Dragonborn Warlord/Fighter or Warlord/Paladin.

Rutee
2008-05-07, 09:58 AM
Note to self: don't name female children Deirdre.

Screw original meaning! All that counts is the modern sound of it.

Amazing that I get along well with a linguist. You'd think hilarity would ensue.

Anyway, based on this.. (http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j227/RuteeKatreya/GuitarElf.jpg)

A guitar wielding Good (Capital G) Warlord Elf (Not Eladrin), formerly a paladin of some sort for a Good God. After not being treated with anything approaching the kindness and compassion she was taught (Probably Falling after some sort of Train Track Scenario), she feels wronged by her God; She doesn't want to tear down the celestial order, she doesn't wanna supplant him. She wants an apology. And she's going to shake the heavens themselves to get it.

I never think small :smallbiggrin:

Overlard
2008-05-07, 10:04 AM
Screw original meaning! All that counts is the modern sound of it.
In the UK, Deirdre is pretty much synonymous with
this soap opera character. (http://shinymedia.headshift.com/images/images/deirdre_93.jpg).

As such, Deirdre isn't really a popular name amongst younger generations.

Mewtarthio
2008-05-07, 10:25 AM
A guitar wielding Good (Capital G) Warlord Elf (Not Eladrin), formerly a paladin of some sort for a Good God. After not being treated with anything approaching the kindness and compassion she was taught (Probably Falling after some sort of Train Track Scenario), she feels wronged by her God; She doesn't want to tear down the celestial order, she doesn't wanna supplant him. She wants an apology. And she's going to shake the heavens themselves to get it.

"Uh, listen, about your character's equipment..."
"What? You said she was proficient in axes!" :smallbiggrin:

Scintillatus
2008-05-07, 10:31 AM
Elven Warlock Quantum Physicist. I will make pacts with atoms, and blind you with science. And perhaps also magical iron maidens.

Or a Tiefling Warlord called "Badass", who has made it his life duty to punt everyone off cliffs while screaming "WHO'S EMO NOW, EH?"

Mewtarthio
2008-05-07, 10:37 AM
Bah, I'm not playing Tieflings until they come out with the Barbarian class. Then, I will play a Tiefling Barbarian with an incredibly short temper. I will name him "Harmony." He just wants everybody to get along and work together, but when people don't play nice, it makes him oh-so-very upset. :smallfurious:

Eldmor
2008-05-07, 10:38 AM
I'll most likely be DMing. If I do manage to scrape by as a PC, an Eladrin Star Pact Warlock would be an interesting take. I've always been a fan of Warlock and I'd like to see how it is now after some power grab to be on par.

Morty
2008-05-07, 10:41 AM
(Probably Falling after some sort of Train Track Scenario)

This gets me thinking: can 4ed paladins "mechanically" Fall? It can be roleplayed of course, but has there been anything about it from Wizards?
On-topic, my first 4ed character will be either half-elf wizard, essentially my current(and preety much the only one) 3ed character, or a goblin rogue.

EvilElitest
2008-05-07, 10:49 AM
Gnome bard
from
EE

Skjaldbakka
2008-05-07, 10:55 AM
Gnome bard
from
EE

ooh, nice burn. Subtle. I almost missed it. :smallcool:

Draz74
2008-05-07, 11:05 AM
Gnome bard

Perfectly possible once the PHB II comes out in 2009. Come on, pick something that actually represents what you're trying to say. "Flumph Monk," maybe. :smallbiggrin:

Xefas
2008-05-07, 11:21 AM
Perfectly possible once the PHB II comes out in 2009. Come on, pick something that actually represents what you're trying to say. "Flumph Monk," maybe. :smallbiggrin:

Meh, it'll be "doable" once the game first comes out. Gnomes already get PC stats, and you could probably make a passable bard by going Rogue/Wizard and say that you annoy the rest of the party as a verbal component to all your spells.

That said, obviously you'll be able to make a better Bard once the PHBII comes out.

But, for those people who really want to be a stumpy fat bald person with a lute, there you go.

Yeygresh
2008-05-07, 11:23 AM
I'm going to play a Tiefling Warlord, named Manic-Depression.

Xefas
2008-05-07, 11:27 AM
I'm going to play a Tiefling Warlord, named Manic-Depression.

Obviously of the Inspiring variety, then?

"Our lives are empty and meaningless...but not as much as those Hobgoblins'."

+4 to AC!

Draz74
2008-05-07, 11:28 AM
Meh, it'll be "doable" once the game first comes out. Gnomes already get PC stats, and you could probably make a passable bard by going Rogue/Wizard and say that you annoy the rest of the party as a verbal component to all your spells.

True, but I don't think EE will consider that a Bard.

Actually, though, I think Rogue/Warlord will come closer than Rogue/Wizard.

ImperiousLeader
2008-05-07, 11:29 AM
You know, I'm half tempted to just roll 2 d8s.

1: Dragonborn
2: Dwarf
3: Eladrin
4: Elf
5: Halfling
6: Half-Elf
7: Human
8: Tiefling

1: Cleric
2: Fighter
3: Paladin
4: Ranger
5: Rogue
6: Warlock
7: Warlord
8: Wizard

Otherwise, I'd like to try a Warforged Wizard, Eladrin Rogue or Human Wizard/Fighter.

Xefas
2008-05-07, 11:40 AM
True, but I don't think EE will consider that a Bard.

Actually, though, I think Rogue/Warlord will come closer than Rogue/Wizard.

I don't think he will either, but I also highly doubt he actually wants to play a Gnome Bard. If I had to make rash conjecture about what character EE actually wants to play, based only on my limited observations of his forum self, I would say Human Warlock.

Why? Because I think EE likes to be the badass who kills people with black beams of death while they run, screaming in terror.

"Stop killing us with black beams of death!" They'll say.

And "No", he'll say.

Surudoi
2008-05-07, 11:41 AM
I promised my group that I would DM our first 4e game, so I am stuck to my promise. But for Living Forgotten Realms, Probably a Human Fighter, That jumps roof to roofs to kill his foes.

fendrin
2008-05-07, 12:08 PM
So many choices! Chances are It will depend on what the other people in my 'playtest' group play, but I'm leaning towards an Eladrin wizard (creative, I know), or maybe a Tiefling or Half-Elf Wizard/Paladin. Or Dragonborn Paladin/Warlord. Or maybe a Half-Elf Ranger/Warlock. or Half-Elf Cleric/Warlord.

Yeah, it's gonna be tough to decide.

EDIT: and of course, all of those multiclass combos can be reversed, plus there are paragon paths and epic destinies to consider...

InaVegt
2008-05-07, 12:12 PM
Gnome bard
from
EE

Well, gnome is a playable monster race, and I'm working on creating a bard for 4E, so, this should be possible a short while after the release of 4E.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-07, 12:18 PM
Yeah, it really does depend on what the local gamers decide to play, we want to have a balanced table of LFR.

So far I think we have an Eladrin Wizard, a Half-Elf Warlock, A Dwarf Paladin and a Halfling Paladin.

So really, I could do anything. :smallbiggrin:

Xefas
2008-05-07, 12:24 PM
So many choices! Chances are It will depend on what the other people in my 'playtest' group play, but I'm leaning towards an Eladrin wizard (creative, I know), or maybe a Tiefling or Half-Elf Wizard/Paladin. Or Dragonborn Paladin/Warlord. Or maybe a Half-Elf Ranger/Warlock. or Half-Elf Cleric/Warlord.

Yeah, it's gonna be tough to decide.

I know! It's like when Smash Brothers Brawl came out.

My first impulse with to play Kirby, for he is the Beginning and the End, the All and the Nothing, that which no man nor beast can equal, he who descends from the void between the stars to carry out his own unknowable, unfathomable will.

But, I also wanted to play as Pit, because I like angels, and Sonic because I like Sonic, and King DeDeDe because he's a badass. Not to mention Lucario, Pokemon Trainer, and Zelda. Then there's Metaknight and Ike and Lucas...

Anyway, I decided to just write the first interesting backstory that came to mind and build my character around that (backwards from how I usually do it), and it came out to be either Inspiring Warlord/Paladin or Paladin/Inspiring Warlord.

Vortling
2008-05-07, 12:32 PM
Human Cleric, followed by Human Rogue. However I'm the DM for my group and I have trouble finding groups to play with so it will likely be sometime in 2012 before I actually get to try the game as a player. Fortunately, I don't plan to DM 4e until I've played it as a player.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-05-07, 12:47 PM
Bah, I'm not playing Tieflings until they come out with the Barbarian class. Then, I will play a Tiefling Barbarian with an incredibly short temper. I will name him "Harmony." He just wants everybody to get along and work together, but when people don't play nice, it makes him oh-so-very upset. :smallfurious:

I like that idea enough that it almost makes me stop hating the race. Almost.

Also: the idea of naming a Tiefling "Happy Go-Lucky", and playing him with a personality not unlike a cuddly petting zoo goat, makes me smile.

Rutee
2008-05-07, 01:04 PM
This gets me thinking: can 4ed paladins "mechanically" Fall? It can be roleplayed of course, but has there been anything about it from Wizards?
No idea, but my GM approved. I suspect you can switch alignments; You'd fall, but you can redeem yourself and convert to your new Alignment. But that's nothing more then conjecture.

"Uh, listen, about your character's equipment..."
"What? You said she was proficient in axes!"
Yes. I hope my final weapon will be an EB-Zero, 1962 model. Failing that, that at some point, I can declare "MY GUITAR IS THE GUITAR THAT ROCKS THE HEAVENS!"

I will be a very sad panda if I can't add Perform and Know: Religion, or their equivalents, to my trained list.

Trog
2008-05-07, 01:12 PM
Hmm... hard to choose.

Either an Eladrin Warlord or an old human wizard with a staff

Oslecamo
2008-05-07, 01:16 PM
I'll probably don't play 4e when it comes out, but will probably end up playing it sooner or later, just like I ended playing 3.5.

As my personal ritual demands, I'll play an human paladin who cares about helping the needed as much than smiting evil guys.

Learnedguy
2008-05-07, 01:19 PM
Definitively a human warlord. It'll be lots of fun:smallbiggrin:

The_Werebear
2008-05-07, 01:29 PM
I'm going to be DMing...

But, for when I get to play, maybe a Dwarven Warlord or Paladin.

ShaggyMarco
2008-05-07, 01:51 PM
Technically, I will probably be converting my 3.5 Cleric of Mystra into a 4e Human Cleric of whomever seems appropriate in the new FR. We started a farewell to 3.5 game specifically to try conversions...and none of are characters will likely convert very well. I will likely play a Cleric with some Wizard multi-classing feats and a home-brewed Initiate of Mystra paragon path that steals from the Initiate of Mystra feat and the Dweomerkeeper PRC. Hopefully, I will have some way to counter-spell, as I'm built around Improved/Reactive Counterspelling.

My first original 4ed character will likely be a Halfling Gypsy with a personal crusade to tell people's fortunes and protect those who keep a good hearth and are kind to travellers. I will probably spend lots of time throwing around curses and calling for vengeance against those who break the laws of hearth and hospitality. I havn't decided on being a Warlock/Paladin or a Paladin/Warlock. Both sound like fun.

Artanis
2008-05-07, 01:52 PM
Well, there has been an idea rattling around in my brain for a charismatic Changeling Rogue whose backstory would probably be banned by any sane DM as using too many three-word fluff technicalities to make some ridiculously unlikely series of events somehow come to pass.

There's also a Changling Wizard (would've been a Sorcerer in 3.5) that I've been thinking of with the exact same backstory. No seriously, the exact same. Childhood, parenting, how they came about their abilities, everything.

...and yes, it really does work perfectly well for both :smallbiggrin:

Most likely though, it'll be an Elf Ranger. I've always loved bow-wielding characters in RPGs regardless of medium, and cliche though it may be, c'mon, it's an Elf with a Bow. It doesn't get much better than that.

Of course, I'm also tempted to make a Dragonborn Rogue for the sole purpose of sneaking up on somebody, shouting "SNEAK ATTACK!", and engulfing them in flames :smalltongue:

Bleen
2008-05-07, 01:56 PM
Warlord or Fighter. Probably human, because I'm vanilla and boring like that. I'm not working out any specifics until I see the full crunch, really.

Dhavaer
2008-05-07, 04:23 PM
Or a Tiefling Warlord called "Badass", who has made it his life duty to punt everyone off cliffs while screaming "WHO'S EMO NOW, EH?"

I like this, although I can't be the first person to think 'THIS! IS! BAEL TURATH!'.

My first will be a tiefling warlock named Fable. Primary personality traits will be optimism, cheerfulness and a fondness for non-sequiteurs.

The Necroswanso
2008-05-07, 04:48 PM
My DM keeps saying he wants to buy and eventually shift into 4E. I told him we won't be switching until he actually knows the rules. And if I can't succesfully port my character over without detsroying everything that built them, I won't be shifting.
Sorry to be the nay sayer.

But, hypothetically, Human Wizard.

ShadowSiege
2008-05-07, 05:53 PM
Not sure, I'll probably make one character for every playable race, and then choose from there to complement the party.

Da King
2008-05-07, 06:24 PM
Tiefling Rogue. I'll try to make a build that focuses on hug sneak attacks.

EvilElitest
2008-05-07, 07:04 PM
I don't think he will either, but I also highly doubt he actually wants to play a Gnome Bard. If I had to make rash conjecture about what character EE actually wants to play, based only on my limited observations of his forum self, I would say Human Warlock.

1) wow, i've started such a large discussion. Yes
2) Actually, i like Gnomes and bards, if not that combo (In normally prefer elf bards and gnome Duskblades.
3) My general point is WoTC prorities in terms of creation
4) Hmmmm, normally i actually prefer to play human paladins in 3.5, odd as it may seem.

Why? Because I think EE likes to be the badass who kills people with black beams of death while they run, screaming in terror.

"Stop killing us with black beams of death!" They'll say.

And "No", he'll say.
Hmmm, that is actually rather tempting, and as i have nothing against 4E warlock, it seems like a good idea actually

from
EE

expirement10K14
2008-05-07, 08:36 PM
I will probably jump in as an elf wizard, as my group has a tendency to suck when it comes to playing spell casters. If not I am going halfling warlock.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-05-07, 08:45 PM
Eladrin Warlock.

Wiiiiiith a Stratocaster.

All "transcendal peace" one moment, the next, rocking out, while blasting things away.

purepolarpanzer
2008-05-07, 09:57 PM
Going back to my first character- Dwarven Fighter named Panzer :smallbiggrin: . Now that fighters won't suck, and the fact that he's a great axe wielder instead of using any other weapon will matter, he may just be what I always wanted.

Laesin
2008-05-07, 10:00 PM
Tiefling Warlock.
Named Requiem.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-05-07, 10:21 PM
How about duo of Tiefling Rogues, of the Serpent family, named Solid and Liquid? No? How about making them fighters named Dante and Virgil?

Ward.
2008-05-07, 10:29 PM
Human Warlock, perhaps multi-classed to warlord as I usually handle all the group tactics in every game besides dnd :smallsigh:

CherryC
2008-05-07, 10:38 PM
I just know I'm only going to be DMing when 4E comes out, so I won't get to be a PC for a while.

When I do get a chance, I'm probably going to play a human Star-Pact warlock, just like my favorite 3.5 character ever. Warlocks are pretty awesome.

Also I may play a Tiefling Mystic Theurge type of character, just to try out multiclassing.

tyckspoon
2008-05-07, 10:45 PM
How about duo of Tiefling Rogues, of the Serpent family, named Solid and Liquid?

They'd be humans, probably, as per humanity's stated role as the Action Hero race for 4E. Probably Ranger, assuming Rangers still get access to stealth skills.

Jerthanis
2008-05-07, 11:13 PM
Anyway, based on this.. (http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j227/RuteeKatreya/GuitarElf.jpg)

I never think small :smallbiggrin:

...Wow, thanks for totally humbling me, this is Awesome with a capital A, and worthy of an Exalted character in grandioseness.

My first character will either be a Tiefling Fighter mercenary who will always fight for the right price, but doesn't yet realize that he's got a heart, and has limits to what he's willing to do for money. OR, I might do an Elven (Or Eladrin if they're cool, haven't decided) Fighter/Wizard or Cleric/Wizard.

Grey Watcher
2008-05-08, 12:33 AM
I definitely want to try out the Warlord class, specifically.

As for Race, I'm torn. On the one hand, I found myself (quite unexpectedly) drawn to the Dragonborn race. On the other hand, my penchant for deliberately unexotic or unremarkable (at least up until the point that they enter the campaign) characters makes me want to choose human.

horseboy
2008-05-08, 02:06 AM
If/when:

Dragonborn Warlord. Based off of Antonio Bandera's animated role. Herps'nboots!

skywalker
2008-05-08, 02:10 AM
Half-Elf Warlord.

Have I mentioned this before?

Helgraf
2008-05-08, 02:43 AM
Meh. Unless something screams 'try me' when I get the books, I'll probably see what everyone else in the game is working on and pick something complimentary - then proceed to stamp my own sense of character into it.

Probably human. Even back in the editions where being human stunk, I tended to play humans.

Once in a while, I'll play a dwarf or elf. Don't think I've ever played a gnome as a PC. Ditto Half-Orcs. Or Tieflings for that matter. Or a Half-Dragon (though I did do a human draconic heritage sorc once.)

Starbuck_II
2008-05-08, 08:01 AM
Elven Warlock Quantum Physicist. I will make pacts with atoms, and blind you with science. And perhaps also magical iron maidens.

Get Ritual feat and try to create a golem female.

Than when they ask make man, say, "No Woman"
Wierd Science (cue song).

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-05-08, 09:18 AM
They'd be humans, probably, as per humanity's stated role as the Action Hero race for 4E. Probably Ranger, assuming Rangers still get access to stealth skills.

Tut tut. Recall that Tief's are screwed up human-spawned abominations? Also note that "Solid" and "Liquid" are concepts. :smalltongue: Now, keep in mind that the most effective way to approach CQC in the games is through stealth, and you have sneak attack. The only possible point of contention I see is the ability to convert game into food. It could be a multiclass between the two perhaps. Dual wielding style and sneak attack work well together after all. :smallamused:

TheDarkOne
2008-05-08, 11:04 AM
Human sword and board fighter.

Inyssius Tor
2008-05-08, 04:10 PM
Dragonborn rogue.

Or an eladrin ranger/wizard, with whatever feat or path that lets me channel spells through my longbow (or greatbow, or whatever).

(Or, possibly, a scimitar-wielding dragonborn fighter.)

Roderick_BR
2008-05-08, 07:07 PM
I want to play a human paladin using sword and board. What? I like playing the meat shield :smalltongue:
My second choice would be a tiefling paladin. Just because :smallamused:
As a third choice... maybe I'd bother trying a wizard this time. Not sure which race yet.

Mando Knight
2008-05-08, 10:00 PM
Tiefling or Dragonborn Paladin, possibly multiclassing into Warlord... definitely using some kinda badass sword... maybe a shield...

EvilElitest
2008-05-09, 05:35 PM
Tiefling Warlock.
Named Requiem.

hmmm, that admittedly does actually sound good
from
EE