PDA

View Full Version : Good invocations

Zenos
2008-05-07, 08:36 AM
Hello, I am making a level 6 Warlock, and I've already chosen two of my least invocations (Baleful Utterance and See the Unseen), but I still need to choose my third least and my lesser invocation, what kind of invocations would be good for me? I have complete Arcane and Complete Mage.

monty
2008-05-07, 08:41 AM
Beguiling Influence is a good least if you do a lot of social stuff. For lesser, I highly suggest Fell Flight and Flee the Scene.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-07, 08:44 AM
I'll second the Fell Flight...

No shaping or essence? Eldritch Chain has always been one of my favorites... :smallbiggrin:

SilentNight
2008-05-07, 08:54 AM
The devil's sight/darkeness combo is always nice. Fell flight is also good. Shatter if you just want to screw around.

Tempest Fennac
2008-05-07, 08:55 AM
A least Invocation called Eldrich Glaive will give you an Eldrich Reach weapon which used Touch attacks. You also get extra attacks if your BAB is high enough. That's good if you're prepared to improve your AC.

Meat Shield
2008-05-07, 09:06 AM
And to counter the glaive-lock that Tempest mentioned, I say go for Eldritch spear. That combined with Fell Flight means never having to get within range of the bad guys weapons, and lets you laugh at their feeble attempts to get back at you for hitting them all day long from 250 feet above their heads.

Zenos
2008-05-07, 09:10 AM
Hmmm, yes, I think I might go eldritch spear/fell flight combo. And if a mook starts shooting arrows at me, I'll just shatter his bow.

By the way, Shatter at will is a load of fun, you can shatter Holy symbols and spellbooks, then retreat.

Zenos
2008-05-07, 09:23 AM
Hmmm, now I have to pick four feats, does anyone have any good warlock feats?

SamTheCleric
2008-05-07, 09:25 AM
Point Blank/Precise are a good investment to avoid the -4 from firing into melee...

Empower Spell Like Ability (Eldritch Blast) is useful, but I'm not sure at what level you can take it.

Zenos
2008-05-07, 09:29 AM
Hmmm, I AM a 6th level warlock... Well, this sounds like something to counteract the poor scaling of the EB.

Zenos
2008-05-07, 10:36 AM
Still one feat to use, I am considering Improved Initiative, but what other feats are mechanically useful?

MammonAzrael
2008-05-07, 11:04 AM
Warlock Handbook (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=393586)

It's certainly not the best Handbook out there, but it's got some decent advice. The problem with suggesting Invocations is that there are several different builds for Warlocks. I'm assuming you aren't going Glaivelock, And Fell flight is almost always a must. Entropic Warding is fantastic, you'll probably want that. Beguiling Influence if you're the party face. Spiderwalk can be fun, but is quickly replaced by Fell Flight.

Feat wise, you don't really need Precise Shot, since EB is Ranged Touch. If you've got at least 13 Wisdom, think about Psionic Shot, Psionic Meditation, and Greater Psionic Shot. You'll need at least one power point to get these, but they can add a big chunk of damage to your EBs. (They can be found in the SRD)

Kurald Galain
2008-05-07, 11:09 AM
Depending on your style...

Either Fell Flight or Walk Unseen. If you don't take Fell Flight, do take Spiderwalk.

Most essence invocations aren't worth it, with the exception of Eldritch Glaive and Eldritch Spear. If you take the latter, top it off with Entropic Warding.

Beguiling Influence is fun depending on your style, again. If it is, you probably have high enough charisma to make Dark One's Own Luck worthwhile.

Note that you cannot shatter magical items. Therefore, it may be interesting to combine it with Relentless Dispelling.

Regarding feats, Imp Initiative is always good, as is Extra Invocation. I find that pointblank & precise shot doesn't come up often enough to be worth two feats. The Fae Bloodline feats stack with the warlock's natural DR, and are flavorful for some builds. A very useful feat is Quicken SLA, but you can't take that at level six, yet. If you're blasting a lot, you may want to splurge on Improved Critical. If you can somehow obtain Sneak Attack ability (and there's magical items that let you), the Craven feat is good.

Duke of URL
2008-05-07, 11:28 AM
Least

Shapes: Spear or Glaive, depending on style
Essences: None
Others: See The Unseen, Beguiling Influence, Baleful Utterance, Entropic Warding, Voice of Madness (other than low DC [11+CHA], this scales with level)

Lesser

Shapes: Chain, if you're expecting groups and want to get close enough
Essences: Hellfire or Hellrime, if you're planning on taking Hellfire Warlock later
Others: Fell Flight, Walk Unseen, Devour Magic, The Dead Walk

Feats (assuming Human)

Glaive users:

1: Armor Proficiency Medium
1: Battle Caster
3: Weapon Finesse (for Glaive users only)
6: Combat Reflexes (for Glaive users only)

Everyone Else

1: Ability Focus (Eldritch Blast)
1: (any)
3: (any)
6: Extra Invocation (Least)

Supernatural Transformation would be perfect, except I believe it's been errata'd to exclude Sp abilities gained from classes. Able Learner (level 1 only) is a good choice if you want a 2-level Chameleon dip (for crafting).

Zenos
2008-05-07, 11:29 AM
Ok, with the help of exra Invocation feats I now have the invocations:

Baleful Utterance
Beguiling Influence
See the Unseen
Eldritch Spear
Entropic Shield
Fell Flight

Any comments?

Duke of URL
2008-05-07, 11:35 AM
You can't have 5 least invocations at level 6 -- the most you can have is 4: 3 from class levels and one from Extra Invocation at level 6. Extra Invocation can only be used to take an invocation one grade less than your maximum, and so can't be taken prior to level 6.

Kurald Galain
2008-05-07, 11:39 AM
1: Armor Proficiency Medium
1: Battle Caster

I'm a bit surprised at this. The best medium armor is only one AC better than the best light armor (and if you go mithril, the best heavy armor is three points, which still doesn't seem to be worth two whole feats, given the plethora of AC boosting items). Am I missing something here?

I have not heard of Voice of Madness, however. Can you tell me what it does? Perhaps cast Confusion or something?

Duke of URL
2008-05-07, 11:44 AM
I'm a bit surprised at this. The best medium armor is only one AC better than the best light armor (and if you go mithril, the best heavy armor is three points, which still doesn't seem to be worth two whole feats, given the plethora of AC boosting items). Am I missing something here?

Other than there not really being very many good Warlock feats, period, no. What you take with those extra feats prior to level 6 is pretty much a matter of personal preference -- Improved Initiative and something else would make a good swap-out, especially if you're pumping DEX high enough that you're likely not going to wear armor anyway. Edit: Spell Penetration and its Greater version aren't bad either, though by the time you really need them, you should have access to Vitriolic Blast.

I have not heard of Voice of Madness, however. Can you tell me what it does? Perhaps cast Confusion or something?

It's from Dragon magazine, I think. Confuses single target for 1 round + 1 round/2 levels. Will save, so great to spam on front-liners when you're at level 4-6 or so, especially if you boost CHA. May eventually want to swap it out for another least invocation once the save DC gets too low to be useful.

Zenos
2008-05-08, 09:12 AM
Ok, I think I've got the feats sorted out, so now I am getting items. I guess a crucible of fell power is would make a good item, although then I would have to ignore any rules about maximum spending on a single item.

Burley
2008-05-08, 09:24 AM
Also, for feats: The Fey/Demonic Heritage feats from Complete Mage! They give you a DR/Cold Iron bonus that stacks with your Warlock DR. PLUS, a bunch of other stuff that'll boost the CL of your invocations...Yo.

As for items: At 6th level, wands are your best friend. Wands of Cure Light Wounds is a must, as you should have your UMD maxed. (Max it, Man!) Gloves of Dexterity are a good thing to have, as well. Then, the obligitory (Amulet of Natural Armor +1) + (Ring of Protection +1) + (Bracers of Armor +1) for the cheapest +3 to AC that you can get, without messing with your invoking.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-08, 09:39 AM
Bracers of Armor +1 are 1000g for a +1 Armor bonus
+1 Mithral Chain Shirt is only 2100g for a +5 armor bonus

Neither interfere with casting. :smallbiggrin:

Kurald Galain
2008-05-08, 10:18 AM
Also, for feats: The Fey/Demonic Heritage feats from Complete Mage! They give you a DR/Cold Iron bonus that stacks with your Warlock DR.

Demonic heritage doesn't give DR/Cold iron; it gives fire and acid resistance instead.

Zenos
2008-05-08, 11:29 AM
Ok, now I have good Light armour, Wand of CLW and a heavy mace just in case (why do I always rhyme when I don't intend to? Why?!), but personaly I would like to know if there are any utility items I might use.

Kurald Galain
2008-05-08, 11:40 AM
Ok, now I have good Light armour, Wand of CLW and a heavy mace just in case (why do I always rhyme when I don't intend to? Why?!), but personaly I would like to know if there are any utility items I might use.

Chausible of Fell Power. Increases your blast damage.

Rogue's Vest. Likewise.

Duke of URL
2008-05-08, 12:02 PM
Chausible of Fell Power. Increases your blast damage.

That requires a body slot already taken up by armor. It's also a bit on the expensive side for a 6th-level character, isn't it? (Maybe the lesser version isn't so costly...)

Utility wands/scrolls are nice, as well as one wand to deliver an offensive spell that ignores SR, just in case.

Burley
2008-05-08, 12:02 PM
Chausible of Fell Power costs too much. That rule about not letting one item be x% of your total wealth. I think the Rogue Vest is the same.

I'd snag a few tanglefoot bags, just in case there are enemies that are particularly hard to hit, or (heaven forbid it at your level) Spell Resistance.

Zenos
2008-05-08, 01:19 PM
My DM just said me 'Lock could get one invocation per level.

Time to go pick some more invocations, should be interesting.

Edit: Okay, I've chosen beguiling influence so I can Bluff my enemies into Oblivion, what other Least from CArcane or CMage should I choose?

Burley
2008-05-08, 01:47 PM
:smalleek:One at every level? :smalleek:

Well, get ready to be extremely overpowered...
Take Summon Swarm for lots of win.

Craig1f
2008-05-08, 02:01 PM
Edit: Okay, I've chosen beguiling influence so I can Bluff my enemies into Oblivion, what other Least from CArcane or CMage should I choose?

Beguiling influence is not very impressive. A Bard or Beguiler with Glibness will blow your bluff check out of the water. That said, if you're already maxing out your social skills, a +6 is not-too-shabby. But that also depends on how seriously your DM takes social skills.

Baleful Utterance, Spider Climb, Spear, Glaive, and See the Unseen are all very solid. Summon Swarm is also good with the sheer number of invocations you get. If you're taking fell flight, then I'd replace Spider Climb with Summon Swarm.

I would get Flee the Scene even if you're already getting Fell Flight since you're getting so many invocations. A readied action to Flee the Scene against an attack will save your life very often. You can Flee to an area with total cover, and your enemies will waste their attacks on you.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-05-08, 04:05 PM
Heward's Handy Haversack. Always get one. You'll be the team's Magic Item cart, so you need a way to get to your wands in combat, and if your DM enforces encumberance, you'll automatically want one.

Chronos
2008-05-08, 05:13 PM
Utility wands/scrolls are nice, as well as one wand to deliver an offensive spell that ignores SR, just in case.Don't bother with offensive wands yet. You'll probably have a better chance to get an invocation to work than you will to make your UMD check at this level.

Kurald Galain
2008-05-08, 06:00 PM
That requires a body slot already taken up by armor.
Wait, a chausible is armor? I thought it was a staff? What on earth is a "chausible" anyway? <g>

Yeah, that stuff is too expensive for now, I meant for you to plan for it in the long run.

:smalleek:One at every level? :smalleek:

Well, get ready to be extremely overpowered...
Actually, I'm not convinced that's overpowered. The standard 12/20 invocation warlock is rather low on the power curve, and tends to spend his feats on extra invocations anyway.

Don't bother with offensive wands yet. You'll probably have a better chance to get an invocation to work than you will to make your UMD check at this level.
Seconded. For any class, really, don't invest in UMD until you can reliably pass a DC 20 check. That means a +15 to +17 on your skill total, which is about level 8 if you have a decent charisma.

Well, it's worth taking one rank just so you're allowed to make the skill check, but that's a stupid rule :smallredface:

MeklorIlavator
2008-05-08, 06:37 PM
Well, Warlocks can take ten one UMD, even in stressful situations, so they could conceivably do it earlier. I think they get the ability at level 4.

Chronos
2008-05-08, 08:30 PM
Yeah, when I said not to bother, I was thinking I was in the beguiler thread. As a 6th-level warlock, you probably can consistently hit 20 (assuming 9 ranks and at least a 12 Cha).

Meat Shield
2008-05-08, 08:34 PM
The chausable takes up the same slot as an amulet, not armor

Kurald Galain
2008-05-09, 03:32 AM
Well, Warlocks can take ten one UMD, even in stressful situations, so they could conceivably do it earlier. I think they get the ability at level 4.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Okay, in that case you're all set by level four, with seven ranks in UMD and +3 on charisma. Cool.

Duke of URL
2008-05-09, 06:21 AM
It's just a hedge against spell resistance anyway, so it comes down to how likely are you to face a creature with high SR -- if your DM likes to throw golems at you, it's a must.

I can double check Complete Arcane when I get home, but Crystal Keep (FWIW) lists the Chasuble of Fell Power as a body slot item, not a neck slot.

Zenos
2008-05-09, 07:10 AM
Here's a link to the in-progress character sheet. See if it is something he realy needs. I will not change anything already existing except if it is completely bonkers.

Eru Athal, Warlock 6 (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=52579)

Yes, I know, his stats are high. The stats were 5d6, take 2 lowest dice.

Burley
2008-05-09, 08:58 AM
A chausible is basically a bit cloth sandwich board. (If you're thinking of a neck slot, you're thinking of a periapt.)
However! I always rule that magical clothes (like a chausible) can be worn over, or under, magical armor without penalty.

Kurald Galain
2008-05-09, 09:10 AM
A chausible is basically a bit cloth sandwich board. (If you're thinking of a neck slot, you're thinking of a periapt.)
However! I always rule that magical clothes (like a chausible) can be worn over, or under, magical armor without penalty.

Furthermore, the DMG also rules that magical clothes can be worn under magical armor without penalty:

Magic Items On The Body (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm)

A humanoid-shaped body can be decked out in magic gear consisting of one item from each of the following groups, keyed to which place on the body the item is worn.

* One vest, vestment, or shirt on the torso
* One robe or suit of armor on the body (over a vest, vestment, or shirt)

AmberVael
2008-05-09, 09:31 AM
The Magic Item Compendium (though that isn't the original source... but I don't have the other book here right now) states that a Chasuble takes up the throat/necklace/amulet slot.
I would go with that.

Kurald Galain
2008-05-09, 09:42 AM
Turns out it's spelled "Chasuble" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chasuble). And yes, it's a vestment, kind of like a Poncho.

sombrastewart
2008-05-09, 09:55 AM
This is the update warlock resource:

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=751117

Thinblade, the guy who made the thread, is extremely nice, so if you have questions after reading it, he'd be happy to help you.

Zenos
2008-05-09, 10:34 AM
Okay, I cannot afford the Chasuble currently, but I may buy it later. Now, what scrolls or wands do you think I ABSOLUTELY need that I haven't already bought?

Duke of URL
2008-05-09, 10:53 AM
It would help if your sheet was publicly viewable.

Zenos
2008-05-09, 12:29 PM
Okay, then I'll just list the items:

Wand of CLW
Tanglefoot bag x2
Scroll of Knock
Scroll of glitterdust x2
Scroll of Endure Elements x4 (just incase)
Scroll of water breathing
Scroll of neutralize poison
Scroll of Wind wall.

Burley
2008-05-09, 01:32 PM
HANDY HAVERSACK!

Also... Knock becomes a bit less important when you start shattering the hinges of doors...

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-05-09, 05:31 PM
Knock, Glitterdust, and Endure Elements should probably be wands, if you can afford it.

Also, HHH. BUY ONE! NAOW!

graymachine
2008-05-09, 05:37 PM
Fell Flight and Relentless Dispelling, as well as Walk Unseen. That makes enemy mages hate you more than anything.

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-05-10, 08:35 AM
May I point out the jucy combo (albiet a later-on one) of Chain Blast + Utterdark Blast? 2 negative levels to every opponent. Have a nice day. Repeat as necessary.

Get *ETHER* Devil's Sight, *OR* See the Unseen, but not both. DS if you're expecting a lot of magical darkness, otherwise go for StU, which lets you see invisible, effectively always on.

As for Lesser, Flee the Scene and Fell Flight are both fantastic choices.

Entropic Warding is surprisingly good. The miss chance against ranged attacks is just the icing on the cake, get it for the Trackless Step effect.

Walk Unseen, invisibility at will. At low levels, absolutely fun. Later levels, practically worthless.

Vitriolic Blast. Ignore SR, and apply Acid damage. Made of win. It's Greater, but it should be almost the first Greater you get.

Charm. At will. Screw Beguiling Influence, this is what you want if you are intending to be a party face.

mabriss lethe
2008-05-10, 04:20 PM
There's always the "shadow caster" warlock or whatever it was called using stuff from.... One of the Underdark books(drow of the underdark I think.) it's a pretty fun build.

Take Darkness as a least invocation. Take the feat "instinctive Darkness" it allows you to use the darkness invocation as an immediate action without risking an AoA. Gives you the opportunity to chuck multiple invocations around.

From there, you have a variety of feat choices along the same vein.
-If you choose a race with darkvision, you can take "At home in the dark" which allows you to see through darkness spells normally.Otherwise you don't really need it, just take devil's sight instead.
-Blend into shadows will let you spend a use of darkness to gain Hide in Plain Sight. awesome, until you get invisiblity at will, then pretty awesome again after invisibility becomes obsolete if you devote the skills to it...(nice choice for a warlock/rogue)
-Fade into darkness is a good mix for blend into shadow as it allows you to spend a use of darkness to gain a +5 on hide checks.
-Intensify darkness allows you to cast Deeper Darkness instead of darkness.

One of the things to remember is that with the proper choice of invocations and feats, you can toss out a good number of invocations in a single round. Instinctive darkness makes it an immediate action, Soulreaving aura is a swift action, (and fun with the glaive)

Inhuman Bot
2008-05-11, 02:23 PM
One thing usefull for all warlocks (to me): Flee the scene). I love being able to pop into and then out of rooms, with a major image left behind. Also, if you ever do melee hideous blow is a must.

Aquillion
2008-05-11, 03:55 PM
The devil's sight/darkeness combo is always nice.Nah. Unless you're going to use the really darkness-focused build above, Darkness isn't worth the action it takes to use it -- remember, you're not getting "real" darkness, you're getting that pathetic 'shadowy illumination' junk. Likewise, Devil's Sight is a waste when you're probably going to get See the Unseen anyway... magical darkness is just not a big thing.

Since you're getting a lot of invocations, focus on buffs, since you can have them all up at once...

Definitely Baleful Utterance for both in-combat and out of combat utility. Dark One's Own Luck, See the Unseen, and Entropic Warding because, again, with 20 invocations buffs are better than invocations you're never going to spend an action on in combat.

Also, if you ever do melee hideous blow is a must.It's a trap! [insert image macro here]

Hideous blow is horrible and should never, ever be taken. You don't get to use it with iterative attacks, you don't get to make a touch attack (so with your low BAB, you'll miss pretty often) and you have to get right next to the enemy to use it (BAD), so there's simply no situation where it's going to be any good. Get Eldritch Glaive instead if you want to do melee, it's better in absolutely every possible way -- reach, iterative attacks, touch attacks, you name it. As soon as you get your first iterative attack it will do massively more damage than the piddling amount your weapon would have added to your hideous blow. Never take hideous blow; it's one of the worst invocations ever printed.

Hmmm, yes, I think I might go eldritch spear/fell flight combo. And if a mook starts shooting arrows at me, I'll just shatter his bow.Regarding Eldritch Spear, remember that you only get to use one shape at once, so it isn't worth taking too many... you're often going to want to use chain or cone to hit multiple enemies, aren't you? That means you'll have to get close anyway and won't be using the spear. With the number of invocations you're getting it's not as big a deal as it would be for a normal warlock (where I'd definitely advise skipping spear if you ever intend to get another shape, or trading it out), but you might want to think about that.

With flying, invisibility, and even the default range, you're probably not going to be most opponents' main target anyway. It might be useful when your party is fighting one big enemy who can fly and see invisible, but even then, you'd better hope you're not indoors or you probably won't have the room to use it.

Duke of URL
2008-05-12, 06:57 AM
Hideous blow is horrible and should never, ever be taken. You don't get to use it with iterative attacks, you don't get to make a touch attack (so with your low BAB, you'll miss pretty often) and you have to get right next to the enemy to use it (BAD), so there's simply no situation where it's going to be any good. Get Eldritch Glaive instead if you want to do melee, it's better in absolutely every possible way -- reach, iterative attacks, touch attacks, you name it. As soon as you get your first iterative attack it will do massively more damage than the piddling amount your weapon would have added to your hideous blow. Never take hideous blow; it's one of the worst invocations ever printed.

I houserule away the worst of it... basically, I allow the Warlock to channel his EB through the first successful melee attack (if any) each round, with no additional to-hit, and provoking no AoO. That makes it almost worthwhile.

Still the worst invocation printed, though.

Burley
2008-05-12, 11:31 AM
Hideous Blow was cool for little while. His friends were like, "Man, you're so cool with your extra weapon damage, and so brave to get into melee with such low hit points." Now, Hideous Blow cries itself to sleep each night, muttering, "I'll get you Eldritch Glaive. You stole my friends with your superior coolness factor, iterative attacks, attacks of opportunity, and reach. I'll get you. Yes... Yes, I'll get you."

Also, Walk Unseen does lose it's usefulness at higher levels. But, that's why Retributive Invisibility(?) (Complete Mage?) was created. It acts as Greater Invisibility, and if it's dispelled (even by you!) it causes a whole s-load of damage in a burst around you. Very helpful, I think.

Here's a fun little trick, if you want to put a kink in difficult enemies: Since you've got Detect Magic up always, check to see if the enemy has magic armor/shield/weapon. If they are using something that isn't magical, but still is annoying (really thick armor or something), you can Shatter it with baleful utterance. If the item IS magical, but you really don't want it anyways: use your Eldritch Glaive in conjunction with Hammer Blast to sunder practically anything.

Chronos
2008-05-12, 01:46 PM
If they are using something that isn't magical, but still is annoying (really thick armor or something)See also: Spell components. A shattered holy symbol will leave a cleric with a vastly reduced spell list, and a shattered spell component pouch will scatter a wizard's material components across the floor (while still leaving all those gems and other valuables available as loot). And both holy symbols and component pouches are typically nonmagical.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-05-12, 04:15 PM
See also: Spell components. A shattered holy symbol will leave a cleric with a vastly reduced spell list, and a shattered spell component pouch will scatter a wizard's material components across the floor (while still leaving all those gems and other valuables available as loot). And both holy symbols and component pouches are typically nonmagical.Which is why anyone over second level has about 3 of whichever is important to them.

Animefunkmaster
2008-05-12, 06:09 PM
For good fun:

Eggshell grenades (10gp for a touch attack or blind, heck ya)
Hat of disguise (A bargain, and incredible useful)

Zenos
2008-05-13, 09:35 AM
I've tried to make the sheet public:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=52579

Zenos
2008-05-13, 02:21 PM
Okay, I can gestalt the Warlock, to complement my other character, a Warblade/Rogue. What classes synergy well with Warlock? I have access to Core, CAdventurer, CArcane, CMage, ToB, SRD and PDF-formats of CWar and CD.

Kurald Galain
2008-05-13, 03:18 PM
Okay, I can gestalt the Warlock, to complement my other character, a Warblade/Rogue. What classes synergy well with Warlock?

Rogue, primarily. Walk Unseen means you get to sneak attack nigh everything with your Eldritch Blast.

Also, Druid is fun if you get to use your invocations while shapeshifted.

Zenos
2008-05-13, 03:39 PM
Rogue, primarily. Walk Unseen means you get to sneak attack nigh everything with your Eldritch Blast.

Also, Druid is fun if you get to use your invocations while shapeshifted.

Rogue it is then, then I can be the party's sniper.

Chronicled
2008-05-13, 05:31 PM
Okay, I can gestalt the Warlock, to complement my other character, a Warblade/Rogue. What classes synergy well with Warlock? I have access to Core, CAdventurer, CArcane, CMage, ToB, SRD and PDF-formats of CWar and CD.

Scout is also worth looking into.

KillianHawkeye
2008-05-13, 06:04 PM
There's always the "shadow caster" warlock or whatever it was called using stuff from.... One of the Underdark books(drow of the underdark I think.) it's a pretty fun build.

Take Darkness as a least invocation. Take the feat "instinctive Darkness" it allows you to use the darkness invocation as an immediate action without risking an AoA. Gives you the opportunity to chuck multiple invocations around.

From there, you have a variety of feat choices along the same vein.
-If you choose a race with darkvision, you can take "At home in the dark" which allows you to see through darkness spells normally.Otherwise you don't really need it, just take devil's sight instead.
-Blend into shadows will let you spend a use of darkness to gain Hide in Plain Sight. awesome, until you get invisiblity at will, then pretty awesome again after invisibility becomes obsolete if you devote the skills to it...(nice choice for a warlock/rogue)
-Fade into darkness is a good mix for blend into shadow as it allows you to spend a use of darkness to gain a +5 on hide checks.
-Intensify darkness allows you to cast Deeper Darkness instead of darkness.

One of the things to remember is that with the proper choice of invocations and feats, you can toss out a good number of invocations in a single round. Instinctive darkness makes it an immediate action, Soulreaving aura is a swift action, (and fun with the glaive)

This just became my new BBEG. Thanks! :smallbiggrin:

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-05-13, 06:24 PM
Warlock//Rogue/Scout is loads of fun with D6's, especially at high levels. The Swift Ambusher feat is all kinds of awesomeness, especially since your Elderich Blast is a Standard action and you can be Walk Unseen. You don't need to go through all of the normal Scout loopholes. I highly recommend it.

Chronos
2008-05-13, 11:38 PM
At what level with that do you need to raid your Monopoly, Yahtzee, and Backgammon games to have enough dice?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-05-13, 11:56 PM
Someone want to stat out the number of D6s there? I don't have access to C.Arc over the summer. :smallfrown:

Draz74
2008-05-14, 12:51 AM
At what level with that do you need to raid your Monopoly, Yahtzee, and Backgammon games to have enough dice?

You won't need Monopoly or Backgammon if you have Risk.

Yahtzee is still a valuable asset, though. :smallwink:

Solo
2008-05-14, 12:54 AM

A servant of the God-Emperor has no need of such deperate measures!

Kurald Galain
2008-05-14, 02:49 AM
Someone want to stat out the number of D6s there? I don't have access to C.Arc over the summer. :smallfrown:

Last time I tried that, I ended up with 73d6 damage for a sneak attacked empowered mortalbane psionic shotted baneful eldritch blast, plus damage from the craven feat, multiplied for your pick of eldritch chain or eldritch glaive.

I'm sure the charop board could top that, but yes, it can get quite ridiculous.