PDA

View Full Version : How do I stop an Inevitable?

Frosty
2008-05-07, 01:57 PM
I've recently found that there is one, or possibly more than one, Inevitables coming for my character, a level 11 Crusader. For what crimes, I do not know. Maybe they hate my randomness of getting maneuvers. I misplaced my Monster Manual and I can't view the SRD sites right now, but I wanted to know what to expect from an Inevitable (possibly with levels in Justiciar).

How scary are they, what are their capabilities, and what can I do to get them to give up (I probably won't win a fair fight if there's more than one)?

Maybe if moved to another continent or something...

SamTheCleric
2008-05-07, 02:02 PM
Inevitables are constructs whose sole aim is to enforce the natural laws of the universe.

Each type of inevitable is designed to find and punish a particular kind of transgression, hunting down a person or group that has violated a fundamental principle. When an inevitable is created, it receives its first mission, then finds the transgressors and metes out appropriate punishment. The sentence is usually death, although some inevitables insist on compensation to the wronged party instead, using geas/quest and mark of justice to ensure compliance. From its first step, an inevitable focuses totally on its target. It continues its efforts no matter how cold the trail or hopeless the task. Inevitables are single-minded in pursuit of their quarry, but they are under orders to leave innocents alone. Accomplices to their prey are fair game, however, which sometimes creates conflicts within their programming.

Inevitables gladly sacrifice themselves to complete a mission, but they aren’t suicidal. Faced with impending defeat, they are likely to withdraw and seek a way to even the odds. They are determined but patient foes. They ally with others if that helps accomplish their mission, but they have a hard time keeping allies for long.

Inevitables tend to stick out in a crowd while they’re in observation mode, but they seem oblivious to the attention. Their forms vary, but all inevitables are gold-and-silver clockwork creatures, with gears and pistons where muscles would be on flesh-and-blood creatures. Their eyes glow with a golden radiance.

Note that unlike most constructs, inevitables have an Intelligence score and can think, learn, and remember.

Kolyaruts seek out those who break oaths/bargains. They have a natural enervation ray, vampiric touch, various SLA.

Marut seek out those who deny the grave itself. They hit really hard (with either sonic or electricity), they also have SLAs including Plane Shift, DDoor and Gaes/Quest.

Zelekhut seek those who deny justice or try to escape punishment. Weakest of the 3 but still lots of SLAs like Dispel Magic and Lesser Gaes.

Admiral Squish
2008-05-07, 02:03 PM
Three questions:
Have you broken a deal?
Have you cheated death?
Have you fled from the law?

Once we have an answer, we can start to formulate a strategy.

First suggestion: Don't try to run. They are constructs famed for their tracking and hunting abilities. They don't need to sleep, eat or breathe. Since they started out in the first place, they probably aren't going to stop, and they will gain ground pretty much whatever you do. If you can't win in a fair fight, make sure it's an unfair one. Tilt the scales in your favor however you can. Ambush tactics, hit and run, whatever it takes.

Xefas
2008-05-07, 02:11 PM
That seems like a very redundant question, but I'll give it a try anyway.

First, there are only 3 Inevitables in the MM. I think there are a few more in other books, but unless you suspect the DM to use something non-core, then you only have 3 to worry about.

The first is CR 15, so if you're expecting a 1on1 fight, then your DM probably won't use this, as it would probably gut you with ease.

The others are CR 12 and 9, both likely candidates.

One of them flies, so be ready for that. Both have DR/Chaotic, so be ready for that (Mountain Hammer, maybe?). They're also Constructs- so most status effects won't work. They have Fast Healing, so a drawn-out hit-and-run fight probably won't work.

The biggest Spell-like you'll need to worry about is Hold Monster. One has it at 1/day and the other 3/day. Obviously if this hits you, you'll be coup de graced the round after. Oh, and both get Hold Person at will in case you're a humanoid race. So, pump that Will save or find some way to become immune (Spell Immunity spell, maybe? if you have a 9th level cleric on hand).

Most importantly don't try to run from it, because it has a host of abilities specifically built to find you, and also don't waste time trying to reason/bribe/lie to it, because it has junk against that too.

EDIT: Oh, and one has an Enervation ray, so try to become immune to negative energy/levels/level drain.

ZeroNumerous
2008-05-07, 02:11 PM
Well, since you're not a spellcaster we can assume that the Marut-type isn't interested in you. After all, Maruts explicitly ignore those who use magic to revive themselves(or others). They only go after liches/dracoliches/demiliches/deathless/etc.

Remember that an Inevitable, even though it's a construct, is willing to gather allies and fight intelligently. To be honest though, neither of the two Inevitables that may/may not be interested in you are of the lethal variety. Either a Kolyarut or a Zelekhut would more likely try to get you to repay the debt you accumulated on the deal, or just go back to jail/face your normal punishment.

Frosty
2008-05-07, 02:15 PM
Three questions:
Have you broken a deal?
Have you cheated death?
Have you fled from the law?

Umm...in a way, all three. My Crusader had taken a job from the local king to hunt down and turn in a bloodthirsty outlaw who has been decreed to die. I tracked the outlaw down, and thru talking, discovered that she really wasn't bloodthirsty as claime, and that she was on the lam because the local king is an evil tyrant. My character decided to let her go. This did not escape the notice of the king, who had my character imprisoned via a clever ambush. My character was sentenced to death, but managed to escape before the execution, killing many of the guards on the way out.

Are you sure I can't run? My character is a Warforged, so he doesn't need to eat, sleep, or breathe either, and is immune to a lot of the Kolyarut's attacks it seems (negative energy stuff)

Telonius
2008-05-07, 02:22 PM
The page on Inevitables is here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/inevitable.htm). They are Constructs, so possess the following traits:

No Constitution score.
Low-light vision.
Darkvision out to 60 feet.
Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, and necromancy effects.
Cannot heal damage on their own, but often can be repaired by exposing them to a certain kind of effect (see the creature’s description for details) or through the use of the Craft Construct feat. A construct with the fast healing special quality still benefits from that quality.
Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability damage, ability drain, fatigue, exhaustion, or energy drain.
Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects, or is harmless).
Not at risk of death from massive damage. Immediately destroyed when reduced to 0 hit points or less.
Since it was never alive, a construct cannot be raised or resurrected.
Because its body is a mass of unliving matter, a construct is hard to destroy. It gains bonus hit points based on size, as shown on the table.
Proficient with its natural weapons only, unless generally humanoid in form, in which case proficient with any weapon mentioned in its entry.
Proficient with no armor.
Constructs do not eat, sleep, or breathe.

Bryn
2008-05-07, 02:22 PM
Judging by CR compared to your character, you're probably going to be facing a Kolyarut (CR 12).

It's not great in melee, but it has some fairly good SLAs, and when it does hit it drains your HP like the Vampiric Touch spell. Look for a way to boost your Will saves, since that's the save that most of the SLAs target. The highest DC of the SLAs is 17. If you can see invisibility it's handy, as that's another of its at-will powers.

More importantly than the SLAs, though, it also has an Enervation ray, with a +10 to hit - if you can manage to keep your touch AC high then that will be less of a problem. Otherwise, you'll be taking 1d4 negative levels every round that it hits you.

Speaking of touch ACs, if you can find a way to hit it on there, it only has AC 11 (as opposed to a normal AC of 27, a lot harder to hit). This mainly comes from natural armour and armour.

Also note that it will be difficult to recognise when you see it. It has a Disguise Self SLA, and a pretty good Disguise modifier as well, so chances are you won't see a construct coming towards you. I don't know if there are any ways to detect approaching Inevitables, but be suspicious.

Kolyaruts punish 'those who break bargains and oaths', so if you have done that recently, there's a good chance you'll have a Kolyarut after you.

Since you mentioned Justiciar levels, you might instead end up facing a Zelekhut - that's likely if you've denied justice recently, so if you've just escaped from prison then there might be one of these on your tail. These things can fly at 40ft, or faster if they use an SLA - a ranged weapon of some ability to fly yourself would stop it from hurting you from a distance.

Like the Kolyarut, the Zelekhut likes will save SLAs, and the highest DC is 27. It also has Hold Monster, as well as numerous scrying powers. Fortunately, though, it does not have invisibility or disguise self, so you will see the winged robot centaur when it comes.

It's armed with two spiked chains, which it can dual-wield somehow. AoOs will therefore be a problem, but its attacks are individually pretty weak, especially if you have lightning resistance. Fortunately, it doesn't have a ranged attack, reducing the advantage of flight somewhat. Even so, if it gets hurt, it has fast healing, so you'll want to prevent it from getting away if you injure it. It has a pretty high DR (10), so look out for a Chaotic weapon or Strike to get through that. That also holds for the Kolyarut.

The other Inevitable, the Marut, is CR 15, so chances are you won't see it.

I hope all of that helps, anyway. Good luck preventing the Inevitable! :smallbiggrin:

Admiral Squish
2008-05-07, 03:14 PM
Umm...in a way, all three. My Crusader had taken a job from the local king to hunt down and turn in a bloodthirsty outlaw who has been decreed to die. I tracked the outlaw down, and thru talking, discovered that she really wasn't bloodthirsty as claime, and that she was on the lam because the local king is an evil tyrant. My character decided to let her go. This did not escape the notice of the king, who had my character imprisoned via a clever ambush. My character was sentenced to death, but managed to escape before the execution, killing many of the guards on the way out.

Are you sure I can't run? My character is a Warforged, so he doesn't need to eat, sleep, or breathe either, and is immune to a lot of the Kolyarut's attacks it seems (negative energy stuff)

Hmmm... You might be able to run if it's a Kolyarut, they're not really fast, but it will stick on you so you won't be able to pause, pretty much ever if you want to keep out of it's reach. And a Zelekhut will catch up anyway, so it'd be best to fight it out.

Your story most strongly suggests a Zelekhut, but there's a chance for a Kolyarut to get involved, too. Thankfully, a Zelekhut has the lowest CR of the lot. DR and fast healing proved quite the problem together. A chaotic weapon seems like your best bet, especially with that +2d6 against lawful-types. You'll need to keep it ground-bound, and keep it from escaping once you've engaged it. It's got two spiked chains, ride-by and spirited charge, so you want to catch it where it can't prepare for you, and stay very close. The AoOs will sting, but the charge will hurt more.

So, perhaps a bunch of tanglefoot bags, a rush-job on enchanting your hittin'-stick, and a lot of cover. Rough terrain would help if you can keep it from going airborne, since it couldn't change over that. If you can get some 'innocent bystander' rogues for cheap and a couple of demolition crystals, that would help. After all, he'll probably try to protect them and won't be expecting a sneak attack from the bystanders. Plus extra bodies would aid in the charge-prevention. Pump your will save however you can, those SLAs will hurt if you fall prey to them.

Frosty
2008-05-07, 03:25 PM
I've got Concentration pumped for that 1st level Diamond Mind counter (I took a feat for it). That should let me, with some reliability, pass Will saves right?

As for me, I can fly if I need to via boots of flying, and I use Spiked Chains as well in conjunction with Stand Still.

Can they use SLAs without provoking AoOs from me? If they don't have squat in concentration, I can probably keep them from using their SLAs.

SadisticFishing
2008-05-07, 03:25 PM
You can't stop them. It is Inevitable.

Teehee.

Okay, do you have a group? Because really, Inevitables on your tail is BAD. I don't know how I'd deal with it, as usually, if the deal is big enough that one will be tracking you, another will probably replace it if you kill that one. And discussing politely with them is just awkward, as beings of pure Law they'll have a problem with you breaking your oath with the king - even if he IS evil. Try to find a loophole, or reason that bringing her in would not fulfill the bargain anyways - maybe the contract said "bring in the bloodthirsty mercenary", where she is neither bloodthirsty nor mercenary?

Xefas
2008-05-07, 03:32 PM
DR and fast healing proved quite the problem together. A chaotic weapon seems like your best bet, especially with that +2d6 against lawful-types.

He/She/It/Frosty is a Crusader, so if they have Foe Hammer, Mountain Hammer, Stone Dragon's Fury, Tide of Chaos, or Elder Mountain Hammer, then an Anarchic weapon may not be entirely necessary, though still very helpful.

Especially Tide of Chaos. That'd wreck 'em nicely (especially if you have Power Attack to use with that excessively high bonus it gives you for attacking Lawful enemies).

Anyway, if your party will be helping out, that'd be nice to know as well.

valadil
2008-05-07, 03:34 PM
So, I get that a player who breaks a pact could have an Inevitable come by to repair the pact. However if a player evades death somehow does the Inevitable have any option other than to kill?

I ask because I've been tempted to throw a Marut at my players. Specifically I want to throw it at one of them after fudging the dice to prevent death.

Frosty
2008-05-07, 03:52 PM
He/She/It/Frosty is a Crusader, so if they have Foe Hammer, Mountain Hammer, Stone Dragon's Fury, Tide of Chaos, or Elder Mountain Hammer, then an Anarchic weapon may not be entirely necessary, though still very helpful.

Especially Tide of Chaos. That'd wreck 'em nicely (especially if you have Power Attack to use with that excessively high bonus it gives you for attacking Lawful enemies).

Anyway, if your party will be helping out, that'd be nice to know as well.

No party. The cheese stands alone.

BRC
2008-05-07, 03:53 PM
The Cheating Death thing is specific. Escaping from an execution is not Marut-Worthy, neither is surviving a battle or recovering from wounds. If it was, Maruts would be too busy hunting down anybody who wore armor.
So far as I can tell, Marut's come after people who try to make themselves immortal in some way. They don't mind you postponing death, provided it gets to you eventually.

Nohwl
2008-05-07, 04:02 PM
so you wouldnt get a marut sent after you if you were resurrected, correct?

[Insert Neat Username Here]
2008-05-07, 04:15 PM
The Cheating Death thing is specific. Escaping from an execution is not Marut-Worthy, neither is surviving a battle or recovering from wounds. If it was, Maruts would be too busy hunting down anybody who wore armor.
So far as I can tell, Marut's come after people who try to make themselves immortal in some way. They don't mind you postponing death, provided it gets to you eventually.

I think they also dislike multiple resurrections, but not as much as becoming a lich or something similar.

The other two (non-core) Inevitables are Quaruts, which are CR 17 and go after those who mess with the space-time continuum, and Varakhuts, which are CR 19 and go after those who try to kill gods or become gods. It's rather unlikely that either of these will come for you, considering your level, but if you see either of these guys (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ff_gallery/50174.jpg) (varakhut on the left, Quarut on the right), run. Very quickly. They both have 50 ft speeds and lots of powerful attacks.

BRC
2008-05-07, 04:20 PM
so you wouldnt get a marut sent after you if you were resurrected, correct?
Yup, it's an extreme form, but you arn't making yourself immortal so they let it slide.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-07, 04:26 PM
...Thanks, Username. I now have my long sought for robots to pit my group against.

On the subject, if you can get Deathward and Fly or something like that, you have almost nothing to fear from Inevitables. I'd stall until you receive your Mind over Body maneuver because you'll suffer a lot, but other than that, a crusader should handle those fine.

Frosty
2008-05-07, 04:27 PM
What about Reincarnation? Ins't continual Reincarnation count as immortality?

Frosty
2008-05-07, 04:28 PM
...Thanks, Username. I now have my long sought for robots to pit my group against.

On the subject, if you can get Deathward and Fly or something like that, you have almost nothing to fear from Inevitables. I'd stall until you receive your Mind over Body maneuver because you'll suffer a lot, but other than that, a crusader should handle those fine.

I'm a Warforged. Do I really need Deathward?

Nohwl
2008-05-07, 04:28 PM
if you succeed in killing a god, would a varakhut come after you?

StoryKeeper
2008-05-07, 04:30 PM
Whatever plan you go with, remember that you have greater numbers seeings as there are only two inevitables: Death and Taxes. That Taxes is a scary one.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-07, 04:31 PM
Nohwl: Of course. But they'd have to deal with a god, so it should be easy to deal wit da foo's.

Frosty: We're speaking of coming back because the dragon slew you. Constant reincarnation will surely have maruts on your tail.

Also, if Deathward protects against negative levels, get it. Else, run for a HUGE touch AC or some negative level protection.

SadisticFishing
2008-05-07, 04:40 PM
I'm a Warforged. Do I really need Deathward?

Actually, yes. Warforged are just as susceptible to negative energy as living people, unless you have a specific feat, I think.

Frosty
2008-05-07, 04:42 PM
I'm dead certain that Warforged are immune to energy drain (negative levels)

SadisticFishing
2008-05-07, 04:44 PM
Whoops.

Alright, that's a big plus for you already - get a way to fly and you should be set.

kme
2008-05-07, 04:49 PM
Isn't it somewhat unfair of you to check their stats and prepare for that challenge in completely metagaming way. I mean really, you DM probably wont send an inevitable for you if he doesn't think that you can defeat it. After all, your character is surely more optimised than some "inevitable" guy :smallwink:.

ShadowSiege
2008-05-07, 05:18 PM
Seeing as the initial infraction would be your breach of contract, I'm guessing you'll be facing a kolyarut. The zelekhut isn't as close to your level, and a marut wouldn't have qualms with you as you haven't taken extraordinary measures to avoid a natural death (such as lichdom or human sacrifice).

That said, paranoia will be a good friend. Disguise self and invisibility are on their lists, so it could be anyone or simply invisible. Fly, and wail on him using your spiked chain. He won't stand a chance. If he has allies that can lock you down, get out quick, damaging the inevitable if you can. The kolyarut won't hesitate to kill their allies with vampiric touch for the greater cause of kicking your ass. Perhaps even rely on this to get them to turn against it. If there are multiple kolyaruts or if it has class levels, your odds diminish. Your discretion is the ultimate determination of whether you will continue functioning.

The Necroswanso
2008-05-07, 05:34 PM
You can't stop them....It's...Innevitable :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, it may not even be one of those three from the MM, as there are also 1or2 in the Fiend Folio. But if your DM doesn'thave one, you'll have nothing to worry about.

kc0bbq
2008-05-07, 05:37 PM
Seeing as the initial infraction would be your breach of contract, I'm guessing you'll be facing a kolyarut. The zelekhut isn't as close to your level, and a marut wouldn't have qualms with you as you haven't taken extraordinary measures to avoid a natural death (such as lichdom or human sacrifice).Serial resurrections get their attention, too. They don't take into account motives, either. If you violate certain laws on a scale to get noticed on a cosmic scale, one gets built for you.

Unless the situation is a bit more dramatic I don't really even see justification for sending one specifically after you. Unless it had finished it's mission and noticed you were bad when it was "guarding" an area?

Seriously, if your character doesn't know about them don't metagame knowledge about them. Knowledge should be acquired in game.

Flickerdart
2008-05-07, 05:44 PM
Aren't Warforged like Constructs in that they aren't technically alive and therefore couldn't get a Zelekhut's interest anyways?

Xefas
2008-05-07, 05:46 PM
You can't stop them....It's...Innevitable :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, it may not even be one of those three from the MM, as there are also 1or2 in the Fiend Folio. But if your DM doesn'thave one, you'll have nothing to worry about.

Those are CR 17 and 19, so he/she/it/Frosty doesn't need to worry about them.

There's also one in Sandstorm. It's called a Anhydrut. It's probably one of my least favorite Outsiders, since it seems to go against the theme of their type. While other Inevitables go around righting the wrongs of people who defy Truth or Death, the Anhydrut hunts down and murders people who irrigate land. Yes, farmers beware! There's a primordial force of vengeance spawned from the very energies that bind the chaos of the cosmos into an inhabitable mass looking to kick your ass for farming. Right. :smallsigh:

GrassyGnoll
2008-05-07, 05:48 PM
No party. The cheese stands alone.

I can't believe anyone else liked that movie. Between John Cleese's fantastic performance and the cute girl who played D&D it's my favorite Comedy Central regular.

Crusader, eh? What style did you learn? How "not involved" are your companions? Packing anything particularly useful on you? Not taking a stand because they're afraid of more Inevitable reprisal, in another country, or somewhere in between? If you DID flee to another kingdom/continent what are your travel options?

Interrogation over. The enervation ray may be null, but a dual chain wielding flier will require more strategy. Luring the Zelekhut into a forest or cavernous area could even the scales. Think Ewok.

FlyMolo
2008-05-07, 05:52 PM
Because of the justicar levels mentioned, It's probably the CR 9 one if it's CR appropriate.Kolyarut, IIRC. Not that scary. big sword, invisible/another person. Could be very atmospheric.

But I would guess that it's the Zelekhut, because that one goes after people who flee justice. CR 12 already, plus justicar levels. On the one hand, you know it's coming. On the other hand, you're in for a helluva fight. That's the one with wings and chainsaw arms.

It's almost certainly not the Marut. You would die so hard. Huge fists, and it just walks at you. Slowly. Forever. With air walk at will, over oceans if necessary. Terribly appropriate to a hunter of the immortal.

senrath
2008-05-07, 05:53 PM
Aren't Warforged like Constructs in that they aren't technically alive and therefore couldn't get a Zelekhut's interest anyways?

Not quite. They're Living Constructs.

@Xefas: Those'll only come after you if you try and do that to a desert. They represent the inevitability of the wastes.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-07, 05:53 PM
Wait...if the cheese stands alone...

QUICK! PLAY THE CARD AND WIN THE GAME! XKCD WAS RIGHT, YOU CAN DO IT!

senrath
2008-05-07, 05:55 PM
Wait...if the cheese stands alone...

QUICK! PLAY THE CARD AND WIN THE GAME! XKCD WAS RIGHT, YOU CAN DO IT!

But then you have to get rid of every other card on your field, and in your hand!

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-07, 05:56 PM
Burn Teh Man00bar Kards!

Oslecamo
2008-05-07, 05:57 PM
Isn't this...Blatant pure metagaming?

Buy a candle of invocation. When the solar shows up gate a solar/titan and crush it. If you want so much to defeat the inevitables that you came to the forums asking for advice against them, you may as well do this.

Ooorrrr trust your own character and face the inevitable with your own skills and guts.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-07, 05:59 PM
Nope, it's not metagaming.

Metagaming is your trick, Says Yoda.

Preparing for the possible or probable if you have any possible reason to, IC, believe something will happen is just what an adventurer HAS to do with a DM who is not afraid of actually showing why adventuring is labeled as "A lethal business."

Frosty
2008-05-07, 06:01 PM
Can kolyaruts fly?

Xefas
2008-05-07, 06:03 PM
Not quite. They're Living Constructs.

@Xefas: Those'll only come after you if you try and do that to a desert. They represent the inevitability of the wastes.

Well, I think that's a dumb inevitability. Unless you're playing in the Forgotten Realms, in which case the farmers are probably 9-14th level and decked out with +5 Sickles and Vorpal Wheelbarrows. Those guys might need to be knocked down a peg.

The_Werebear
2008-05-07, 06:09 PM
Kolyaruts can't fly.

My advice to you is to pick a defensive position and hold there. I would advise a secluded, wooded area. If it's a Kolyarut coming at you, there aren't people out there often enough to allow it to blend easily and ambush you. If it is a Zelekhut, then thick, overhead tree cover and a battlefield that makes it hard to charge are your friends. If you can prepare an area to your liking in advance (traps and alarms) and hold there, you will stand a much better chance.

Also, you might be able to use your story to your advantage. If you are very diplomatic, you could try and swing your story so that you are wronged. If it is a Kolyarut, explain that the deal was never explained sufficiently in advance, and that circumstances rendered it invalid. If a Zelekhut, explain that the king's authority to have to you jailed and executed was questionable due to the injustice of his rule.

Oslecamo
2008-05-07, 06:10 PM
Yes, because everybody knows crusaders automatically know the weack points of inevitables, plus the kind of attakcs they use so they can gear themselves up to counter the inevitable attacks, and then use just the right kind of attack to pierce the inevitable defenses. This isn't preparing to the possible or probable. This is preparing against a very specific threat that the character is suposed to know little about. If this isn't metagaming, then the word metagaming doesn't mean anything.

That's why the candle of invocation is the perfect solution, because it's the thing that will allow his crusader to answer the biggest number of problems, since his character is "preparing for the possible or probable" and all.

BRC
2008-05-07, 06:13 PM
See if you can use Exact Words. Let's say you were told to Hunt Down the bandit. Well you did, the promise said nothing about killing them. Or to hunt down the Bloodthirsty bandit, turns out they wern't bloodthirsty, so the contract was invalid.

FinalJustice
2008-05-07, 06:14 PM

There's also one in Sandstorm. It's called a Anhydrut. It's probably one of my least favorite Outsiders, since it seems to go against the theme of their type. While other Inevitables go around righting the wrongs of people who defy Truth or Death, the Anhydrut hunts down and murders people who irrigate land. Yes, farmers beware! There's a primordial force of vengeance spawned from the very energies that bind the chaos of the cosmos into an inhabitable mass looking to kick your ass for farming. Right. :smallsigh:

It's kinda off topic, but it's worth to note these Anhydruts got Global Warming as a 1/century SLA. An epic spell that creates permanently a freakin' desert. Summon three of them and you can wreck a nation!

Frosty
2008-05-07, 06:20 PM
Crusader, eh? What style did you learn? How "not involved" are your companions? Packing anything particularly useful on you? Not taking a stand because they're afraid of more Inevitable reprisal, in another country, or somewhere in between? If you DID flee to another kingdom/continent what are your travel options?

Interrogation over. The enervation ray may be null, but a dual chain wielding flier will require more strategy. Luring the Zelekhut into a forest or cavernous area could even the scales. Think Ewok.

They are "not involved" as in they are currently dead. This is a solo game and I got Leadership twice for free by DM decree because solo adventurers tend to die horrible deaths. I was on a bigger overall quest to find a way to raise them from the dead (ressurection magic in this custom world takes mucho RARE material components, but no diamond dust) when I heard rumors about the Inevitables.

Packing anything useful? I've enchanted my body plating to have resist 5 against all elements, and I have DR 3/-. I've got Boots o' Fly, and some stat boosters on neck and gloves. Bracers of Opportunity for extra to hit on AoO. Oh, and a Belt of Repair (similar to Belt of Healing). Tanglefoot bags...got a few left. Could probably buy more though.

My style is focused on Devoted Spirit and White Raven.

GrassyGnoll
2008-05-07, 08:05 PM
Tanglefoot bag would definitely come in handy. So would Devoted Spirits' Entangling Blade and Tide of Chaos maneuvers. With your resistance you won't have to worry bout the elemental damage tacked on to the chains, just the chains themselves. The more reach comes up the more appealing cave fighting sounds. I'll let you to dream up any number of improvised traps to lay at the cave's opening, something to deny it AoOs against a Tide of Chaos charge. Tanglefoot the bugger if he tries to leg it and keep him close.

Of course if your DM throws a Korlyarut at you most of this would be irrelevant. Would you happen to have any patron deities who would be miffed at the fact one of their faithful was pursued as an oathbreaker?

Edit: Seems Zelekhut have lousy Reflex saves, anyway other way to make 'em regret that?

DementedFellow
2008-05-07, 09:00 PM
Put a stop sign in front of them. They are lawful. They must obey.

Sholos
2008-05-07, 10:19 PM
Isn't this...Blatant pure metagaming?

Buy a candle of invocation. When the solar shows up gate a solar/titan and crush it. If you want so much to defeat the inevitables that you came to the forums asking for advice against them, you may as well do this.

Ooorrrr trust your own character and face the inevitable with your own skills and guts.

Unless the Crusader in question has somehow found out about the Inevitable, then yes. Yes it is.

Jayngfet
2008-05-07, 10:29 PM
Running is out of the question, inevitables are determinators (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Determinator)they've been known to walk across ocean floors and emerge months later ready for action, devoting only a few minutes at a time away from their job, you may not need to eat or sleep, but you do get distracted. Even if you leave this plane they will follow, they did come from a whole nother plane just to kill you.

I say lead them to an unstable mountain and hit it with a rockslide, followed by something to slow it down when it comes out, hit it with as many spells and magic arrows you can, If you have access to summoning spells summon something to slow it down enough to get some distance.

If you can throw some animated objects into a bag of holding and throw them out, golems too if you can.

Frosty
2008-05-07, 10:50 PM
I dunno if I can get a golem, but I may be able to Diplomacy a Warforged Beguiler into helping out. Yeah I know, mind-affecting immunity and all that, but Slow will still work against an Inevitable.

Szilard
2008-05-07, 11:02 PM

I cant find that in my sandstorm book, got a page number?

Hal
2008-05-07, 11:28 PM
I cant find that in my sandstorm book, got a page number?

191. It's also called a Waste Crawler.

The Sandman
2008-05-07, 11:37 PM
Plane Shift to Limbo and try to cut a deal with a slaad to "take care" of the problem.

Leon
2008-05-08, 12:01 AM

Its only going to hunt down a farmer if he is trying to work in a waste enviroment, its not going to come trundling into the lush green heartlands to slay some lvl 1 commoner

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-08, 12:58 AM
Could you petition the Eladrin/Guardinals (CG angels/NG angels) for help? I'm sure that they, especially the former, would be willing to protect someone whose being hounded by arbitrary lawmen for being merciful.

Frosty
2008-05-08, 01:01 AM
Could you petition the Eladrin/Guardinals (CG angels/NG angels) for help? I'm sure that they, especially the former, would be willing to protect someone whose being hounded by arbitrary lawmen for being merciful.

I *would*, but my Warforged is an Atheist >.<

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-08, 01:06 AM

Well, that's good, since so are the inhabitants of the upper planes which aren't divine realms. They don't worships gods, but more some sort of divine ideal of goodness, which isn't really that way at all. p123, BoED 'celestial paragons in clerics'. In fact the various celestial paragons actually try to break up religions organised in their name.

Also, even if you don't share their religion, it's still not a good act to refuse someone protection from an evil force if they ask for it. Just helping people within your own peer group isn't good. Do not even the tax collectors do that?

NephandiMan
2008-05-08, 03:00 AM
Remember also that they cannot self-terminate. You must lower them into the steel.

On the other hand, given their nature, I should probably be alluding to OCP.

Kioran
2008-05-08, 07:24 AM
If i were a DM, and one of my players metagamed like this, it would be partytime - rule of cool and all that. Little is cooler than those noncom-guys from Wolfenstein 3d, which introduce themselves with three syllables: Hühaho!

Then they lay into you with an MP40......yeah.

Well, you´re cheesy enough as is. Unless the DM has cheesed the inevitable, I´d probably go in and crush it in melee, since constructs have poor HP, and most often low initiative. With their fast healing, DR, and SLAs, they´re better at wearing you down at range than in a close range slugfest. Hit them with Crusader cheese and it will be over quite fast.
Find conditions under which you can force melee with long warmup.

Kesnit
2008-05-08, 07:49 AM
Yes, because everybody knows crusaders automatically know the weack points of inevitables, plus the kind of attakcs they use so they can gear themselves up to counter the inevitable attacks, and then use just the right kind of attack to pierce the inevitable defenses. This isn't preparing to the possible or probable. This is preparing against a very specific threat that the character is suposed to know little about. If this isn't metagaming, then the word metagaming doesn't mean anything.

This isn't metagaming. The CHARACTER knows the Inevitable is coming after him. He has time to research the creature and find out what it is and can do.

bosssmiley
2008-05-08, 07:50 AM

"It doesn't matter if you believe in us. We believe in you."
/ infuriating Celestial screed :smallbiggrin:

Stopping an Inevitable. You mean other than the bucket of sand into the gears/logical conundrum options? :smallwink:

Probably the quickest way to solve the problem of having one of these things on your tail is just to do whatever these celestial bailiffs want you to.

If it's a Zelekhut: return to stand trial (and give the DM license to throw you in the direction of interesting 'redemption' plot lines).
If it's a Kolyarut: abide by the terms of the contract for which it was the enforcement mechanism (and give the GM license to throw you into all sorts of complicated small print-induced capers).
If it's a Marut: well, you're pretty much boned. The Marut is the enforcer of a successful cosmological plea of "Yer honour, that guy needs killed."
If it's a Quarut: stop monkeying about with space-time. Maybe fix that rift to the Far Realm you opened or the Grandfather Paradox you set off...
If it's a Varakhut: stop trying to kill gods (heck! the Inevitable is probably the least of your problems). :smallamused:

Don't think of the Inevitable as a Terminator; think of them as the stick half of a 'carrot-and-stick' plot hook. Defeat them by not fighting them in the first place (then ask your GM if you get the XP for it). :smallwink:

Torchlyte
2008-05-08, 08:12 AM
Put a stop sign in front of them. They are lawful. They must obey.

This. :smallamused:

Burley
2008-05-08, 08:31 AM
URGH! I posted yesterday (would've been #8) but my computer froze! Poopie. Well, I hope none of these ideas have been used...

Since you're a warforged, you can use disguise self to make yourself look like an Inevitable. So, get your hands on a wand or potion, and pretend that you were also sent by the king to capture yourself!

If that's out of the picture, I spent a lot of time flipping between the pages for Constucts, Inevitables, and Dispel Magic. As far as I can tell (and, please, correct me if I'm wrong, preferably with sources), if you cast (wand?)Greater Dispel Magic it should zonk the Inevitable for 1d4 rounds. In that time, SHATTER SHATTER SHATTER!

I hope that helps...

SamTheCleric
2008-05-08, 08:35 AM
"Do you hear that, Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability, the sound of your doom."

senrath
2008-05-08, 08:39 AM
URGH! I posted yesterday (would've been #8) but my computer froze! Poopie. Well, I hope none of these ideas have been used...

Since you're a warforged, you can use disguise self to make yourself look like an Inevitable. So, get your hands on a wand or potion, and pretend that you were also sent by the king to capture yourself!

If that's out of the picture, I spent a lot of time flipping between the pages for Constucts, Inevitables, and Dispel Magic. As far as I can tell (and, please, correct me if I'm wrong, preferably with sources), if you cast (wand?)Greater Dispel Magic it should zonk the Inevitable for 1d4 rounds. In that time, SHATTER SHATTER SHATTER!

I hope that helps...

I don't think that would work out too well. Unless there is a lot more to the king than meets the eye, he wouldn't be the one sending the inevitable.

Burley
2008-05-08, 09:05 AM
Right. I expanded on that quite a bit in my first attempt to respond. One of the inevitables (the CR12 one, I believe) has Detect Lies at will, so...well, you can't bluff around that.
And, the OP broke multiple rules. It's plausible that the king, being the egomaniacle jerk-butt that he his, sent out an inevitable for each transgression.

This just came to me, and I hope this hasn't also been suggested: As Inevitables don't always kill their prey, but sometimes just demand compensation, maybe you could convince the Inevitable to give you another chance to capture the person you originally needed to capture. Hell, ask the Inevitable to team up with you.
If it's Kolyarut after you for breaking the deal, it shouldn't have a problem with following you to ensure compensation (catching the murderer). THEN, you can get it to detect lies on the person you're up against. Since the original deal was to catch "X person for Y crime", if you can prove to the Inevitable that X didn't commit Y crime, the deal you made is invalid. The Inevitables lawful (logical?) nature would let you off the hook.

Frosty
2008-05-08, 11:08 AM
"It doesn't matter if you believe in us. We believe in you."
/ infuriating Celestial screed :smallbiggrin:

Stopping an Inevitable. You mean other than the bucket of sand into the gears/logical conundrum options? :smallwink:

Probably the quickest way to solve the problem of having one of these things on your tail is just to do whatever these celestial bailiffs want you to.

If it's a Zelekhut: return to stand trial (and give the DM license to throw you in the direction of interesting 'redemption' plot lines).
If it's a Kolyarut: abide by the terms of the contract for which it was the enforcement mechanism (and give the GM license to throw you into all sorts of complicated small print-induced capers).
If it's a Marut: well, you're pretty much boned. The Marut is the enforcer of a successful cosmological plea of "Yer honour, that guy needs killed."
If it's a Quarut: stop monkeying about with space-time. Maybe fix that rift to the Far Realm you opened or the Grandfather Paradox you set off...
If it's a Varakhut: stop trying to kill gods (heck! the Inevitable is probably the least of your problems). :smallamused:

Don't think of the Inevitable as a Terminator; think of them as the stick half of a 'carrot-and-stick' plot hook. Defeat them by not fighting them in the first place (then ask your GM if you get the XP for it). :smallwink:

I think the time for standing trial is over. See, the king already handed down a guilty verdict and an execution order. It wasn't exacrly a fair trial. If I go back "to trial" I've signed my own death warrant.

BRC
2008-05-08, 12:09 PM
In which case you won't be able to talk your way out of it. "Law" and "Justice" are different. Technically, you are guilty of breaking your oath to the king, the fact that the king is evil dosn't make him any less legitimate in the eyes of the inevitable.

Anyway, Stock up on stuff to get past their DR, don't try to run, if the DM wants you caught, you'll be caught. Instead, find someplace to dig in, rig up some crude traps, try to make it a cave to negate the flight advantage a kolykarut can do. Prefferably, pick your spot so as to force them into melee with you. Wait around a corner or somthing so they can't just use ranged SLA's at your face.

Xefas
2008-05-08, 12:15 PM
Can you give us a play-by-play of your fight with this thing, if it does indeed transpire?

I'll be interested to read how it goes. :smallsmile:

Madmal
2008-05-08, 12:22 PM
Nohwl: Of course. But they'd have to deal with a god, so it should be easy to deal wit da foo's.

actually, if you manage to slay a god and manage to take over its place, i don't think the Varakhuts will mess with you anymore, as long as you fullfil the required duties that comes with gaining divinity.

Frosty
2008-05-08, 12:29 PM
Can you give us a play-by-play of your fight with this thing, if it does indeed transpire?

I'll be interested to read how it goes. :smallsmile:

Thing, or things. Yeah. I'll do that. The fight should be this weekend.

Oslecamo
2008-05-08, 01:45 PM
This isn't metagaming. The CHARACTER knows the Inevitable is coming after him. He has time to research the creature and find out what it is and can do.

Ok, you convinced me, mainly because I burst out laughing with the tought of Frosty's crusader running from some kind of mechanical monstruosity while calmly reading a big book called "Defeating inevitables for dummies" that just hapened to be laying somewhere.

Frosty
2008-05-08, 01:48 PM
Actually, that may not be too far from what I plan to roleplay. My character will be heading to the nearest large library to do some research after having heard about Inevitables. He will also be talking to various sages.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-08, 01:55 PM
I hope that they are really just Death Slaad and the GM tricked you by mentioning Inevitables.

Xefas
2008-05-08, 02:02 PM
I hope that they are really just Death Slaad and the GM tricked you by mentioning Inevitables.

That's genius! Of course, Slaad are the embodiment of Chaos, so they would always do what you would least expect in a given situation. And what do you expect least from Chaos made manifest? For them to actually be Pure Law, and go around hunting people for acting unlawfully!

KazilDarkeye
2008-05-08, 03:09 PM
The thing with the anhydrut, for people mentioning it, is that it is the Mechanus way of "maintaining the status quo". The Mechanus way being, "file for it like a million times and you'll get your doomsday device it 6-8 weeks" or whatever beurocratic stereotype you want.

Though I do think there should be a cold conterpart to the Anhydrut (maybe a Nahydrut?). I mean, if everything is as Lawful as it should be, there should be equal amounts of Heat and Cold (since the Mechanus guys don't really care about short-term issues with the Laws of Thermodynamics, as long as it evens out in the end).

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-05-08, 04:05 PM
Ok, you convinced me, mainly because I burst out laughing with the tought of Frosty's crusader running from some kind of mechanical monstruosity while calmly reading a big book called "Defeating inevitables for dummies" that just hapened to be laying somewhere.

Which is all fine and dandy, but you've been completely ignoring that his character was told about being hunted by Inevtiables when there where none around. So in fact it would be some form of bad RPing to not try and find out what they are.

senrath
2008-05-08, 04:20 PM
Which is all fine and dandy, but you've been completely ignoring that his character was told about being hunted by Inevtiables when there where none around. So in fact it would be some form of bad RPing to not try and find out what they are.

Not necessarily. I've played plenty of characters that either wouldn't care enough to look things up, would already know about Inevitables, or would be to scared to do anything but try and hide.

puppyavenger
2008-05-08, 04:34 PM
Mayby see if you can make a deal with Yrgol, or another Slaad lord. Retire to a life in Limbo or Aborea.

Frosty
2008-05-08, 04:49 PM
Not necessarily. I've played plenty of characters that either wouldn't care enough to look things up, would already know about Inevitables, or would be to scared to do anything but try and hide.

My warforged is fairly logical. Doing research would not be uncharacterisitc of him. There's not a lot of things he's afraid of, although a winged robot centaur might give him pause.

GolemsVoice
2008-05-08, 10:57 PM
Seeing as how Inevitables are LAW cast in shape, you might try to reason with them, but I am not entirely sure if they will hear you.
You could try, as a twist of what was already said, and call o a lawful deity of justice and present your case. Surely you will get some sort of trial by a few of his servants, which might be able to hold back the Inevitable as long as the trial is running, maybe because of the Inevitable's respect for laws, maybe because the god interferes, and you might have a chance to redeem yourself. What I don't know is if a lawful deity has any influence on the place where Inevitables are build and set on a mission.

LibraryOgre
2008-05-08, 11:24 PM
If an army of Inevitables didn't boil out of Mechanus after The Nameless One, they don't exist.

They did not, so they do not. QED.

Twin2
2008-05-08, 11:44 PM
Quick question on them, but if you manage to kill one of them that is after you do they make another to send out, or is that it?

Bassetking
2008-05-09, 12:13 AM
Quick question on them, but if you manage to kill one of them that is after you do they make another to send out, or is that it?

... They're called Inevitables for a reason.

monty
2008-05-09, 12:21 AM
We are Inevitable. Resistance is futile. You will be brought to justice.

Really, someone should make a super-Inevitable and name it Locutus.

Jayngfet
2008-05-09, 12:36 AM
We are Inevitable. Resistance is futile. You will be brought to justice.

Really, someone should make a super-Inevitable and name it Locutus.

I was planning on making a couple of indvitables this weekend, I'll add that to the list.

Frosty
2008-05-09, 01:31 AM
Ok, so are the Inevitables the Borg, the Agents from the Matrix, or Terminators?

The_Werebear
2008-05-09, 01:47 AM
Agents from the Matrix

The Matrix agents are merely trying to enforce the rules of the world (with the exception of Smith, who went berserk).

Terminators are implacable assassins. Howev.er, they have no overarching lawful goal. Their targets are not violators of any universal rules.

The Borg don't want to bring anyone to justice or right any universal wrongs, they just want to subsume everyone into their functionality.

senrath
2008-05-09, 05:52 AM
Ok, so are the Inevitables the Borg, the Agents from the Matrix, or Terminators?

Tough choice between Agents and Terminators. Definitely not the Borg, since Inevitables don't assimilate people.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-09, 07:12 AM
They'll be...

http://filmonic.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/terminator_004.jpg

...Back. Go on and tell me that's not an unarmoured Kolyarut.

Wait....I can picture it! The T-800 (Your warforged), against the implacable, unstoppable T-1000.

Definetely, they're Terminators.

mostlyharmful
2008-05-09, 07:55 AM

Yes.

You could try tracking down a powerful wizard, sell them a new and interesting gribbly to disect. Inevitable turns up after you and falls into the trap spellslinger McSmartypants has built for it. You get it off your back, and you even get paid for it. I imagine it'd make a kickass minion after reprogramming. Wizards'll try anything once.

Xefas
2008-05-09, 07:58 AM
Agents from the Matrix

Smitharut Level 26 Elite Soldier
Medium Immortal Humanoid XP 18,000
Initiative +22 Sense Perception +23
HP: 350; Bloodied: 175
AC 44; Fort 40; Ref 40; Will 40
Saving Throws: +2
Action Points: 1
Speed: 12, fly 12, swim 12

(Basic Attack) Punch (standard; at-will)
+30 vs AC; 1d6+5 damage

(Melee) Machine Gun Punch (standard; at-will)
The Smitharut makes 8 Punch attacks

(Melee) Crushing Fist (standard; recharge 5,6)
+30 vs AC; 1d6+10 and the target is pushed up to 6 squares, knocked prone, and
stunned (save ends).

Transposition (minor; at-will)
Ranged 10; The Smitharut changes places with any one non-hostile living creature

Supernatural Reflexes (immediate interrupt; once per round when struck by a melee
or ranged attack)
The attack aimed at the Smitharut misses.

Call for Backup (standard; encounter when bloodied) * Conjuration
The Smitharut calls a second Smitharut to its aid. One non-hostile living
creature within 10 squares disappears, and is replaced by the conjured creature.
It remains until killed or dismissed and cannot use its own Call for Backup
power. PCs do not gain extra experience for killing this second Smitharut.

Frosty
2008-05-09, 11:15 AM
nice nxefas. Now can you do that in 3.5 stat block style? :p

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-09, 11:18 AM
... They're called Inevitables for a reason.

Or 'infinite, regenerating XP fountains'.

Xefas
2008-05-09, 11:24 AM
nice nxefas. Now can you do that in 3.5 stat block style? :p

I could, but it'd take me about 8x as long and would run the gamut between completely useless and entirely overpowered depending on party composition.

Or was that not an invitation to praise 4th edition?

Through the lightning and the tempest...4th edition deliver us.