PDA

View Full Version : Character Concept for a Barbarian

Fiery Diamond
2008-05-07, 06:56 PM
Usually, Barbarians are thought of as, well, barbaric (or at least not very civilized). However, I like doing things that are not the usual cliche, and so I was thinking about an unconventional Barbarian character concept. (Note: I do not claim to be the first to come up with this, just that I wasn't inspired by or copying something else.)

First, we give him moderate-to-high Charisma, as well as at least decent Int. This is important. Then, we skill-buy him literacy, max intimidate, and cross-class him some diplomacy. The rest of his build can be based around his making him a decent Barbarian - except instead of a greatsword or greataxe, give him a longsword or bastard sword.

Now, for the character. Probably going to be Neutral Good, depending on how you interpret alignments. The majority of the time, he is kind, mostly gentle (but not over-the-top, unless dealing with someone injured or perhaps a love interest), diplomatic, easygoing, and perhaps one might call him chivalrous (in the modern sense of the word). He acts intelligently, and is considerate of others. He could even serve as the party "face" in many cases.
-BUT
When someone does something that angers him (such as harm someone who appears to be an innocent, or even simply utter racial slurs about one of his companions) or he enters into combat he acts completely different, becoming almost bloodthirsty and remorseless. For example:

Kiba (our Barbarian) has just been in a very diplomatic situation which was resolved nicely. He is chatting with his friend (of another race) and a civilian insults his friend with a racial slur. Immediately, Kiba grabs the civilian by the collar with one hand and slams him into a wall, pulling out his sword and pointing it at the man with the other hand. In a low, threatening voice (with deadly expression to match) he utters, "Say that again, and you're a corpse."

I originally thought up this character for a story, but making him as a D&D Barbarian character concept just fit perfectly, and I thought I'd share. Thoughts?

-Fiery Diamond

Eldariel
2008-05-07, 08:56 PM
He can also pick up Gather Information as a class skill by trading it for Handle Animal (Cityscape Web Enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) gives this option; could give other useful ones for the "feel" of a City Barbarian), which could probably add some feel to this. Smooth talker, who excels at getting information, talking problems through without hurting anyone (at most hinting at the option - Intimidate), and perhaps a very capable infiltrator too. You could even play this in his combat style; maybe go for the "Intelligent Fighting"-Combat Expertise line and use those.

If he trades his Trap Sense for Trapkiller (Dungeonscape), and maxes out Survival, he could actually substitute for a Rogue in all but opening locks (and stealing stuff, I suppose). I really like making oddball variants out of existing characters (although I mostly do oddball concepts rather than classes, since classes tend to be mostly unnecessary fluff), so this is right up my alley.

de-trick
2008-05-07, 09:38 PM
i had an idea about a barbarian using a rapier. The thought was have the same str and dex and take weapon finnesse then when he raged he would switch to using strenght instead of dex

Hal
2008-05-07, 09:44 PM
Barbarians have to be chaotic or they lose the ability to rage.

Otherwise, interesting concept. He'll probably be nerfed a bit, since you're pouring points into abilities that don't mesh with the class strengths, but you're better off having a character who you're excited about playing then one who just works well.

UglyPanda
2008-05-07, 10:23 PM
No, they just have to be non-lawful.

I've thought about civilized barbarians, but they always end up bard-barians, then straight bards. Why am I now thinking of Berserker from 8-bit theater? I'm also now thinking of Morbo from Futurama throwing a piano at someone while yelling "Racial features do not work that way!".

SoD
2008-05-08, 12:14 AM
Barbarians have to be chaotic or they lose the ability to rage.

Actually, it's non-lawful.

i had an idea about a barbarian using a rapier. The thought was have the same str and dex and take weapon finnesse then when he raged he would switch to using strenght instead of dex

What is the point of weapon finesse if your dexterity is equal to your strength? Let's say they're both 14. Without weapon finesse, you add your +2 str modifier to hit. With weapon finesse, instead of the +2 str, you add your +2 dex modifier...why?

Tequila Sunrise
2008-05-08, 12:27 AM
What is the point of weapon finesse if your dexterity is equal to your strength?

So that he can say "en garde!" instead of "me kill!!!" :smallwink:

Some day I'll play a "barbarian" militiaman-turned-adventurer...wait, 4th what? :smallfrown:

TS

Serpentine
2008-05-08, 12:40 AM
I think it sounds like a really good idea. We haven't had many barbarians in our games... There's Mongo who turns up every now and then, but he's a bit more typical - Dumb as a post, True Neutral because he's too stupid to think about silly things like "ethics" and "morality" so just does what he's told, carries around a "greatclub", actually just a massive tree branch... In his longest stint as an actual PC, he smooshed a dog for chasing a cat (apparently he likes kitties...) and accidently intimidated a shopkeeper into giving him a cooked duck, which he later used as a pillow... Now I want someone to play a Barbarian :smallfrown:

cupkeyk
2008-05-08, 12:44 AM
I made a half-orc paragon3 / crusader who was lawful good and raged.

Grey Watcher
2008-05-08, 01:05 AM
I played a character of urban origin who used the Barbarian class once. He was a Halfling, I got the DM to houserule out the illiteracy, but otherwise didn't do much mechanically to stress his background. Basically, the idea was that he had gone to a school for formal training as a warrior, but where most of his classmates relied on skill (ie they took levels in Fighter), he relied on sheer ferocity (mechanically represented by his Rage).

Roderick_BR
2008-05-08, 04:26 AM
heh. The idea reminds me of this http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=040708 and the following comic :smallbiggrin:
"Is that a monocle?!"

hamishspence
2008-05-08, 05:54 AM
Makes me think of Simon R Green's Owen Deathstalker, near the start of the book, with the Deathstalker Boost ability standing in for Barbarian Rage. A character who is savage and bloodthirsty in battle but likeable outside of battle is an interesting way of doing it. Similarly with heavy intimidation in circumstances when it seem appropiate.

FatherMalkav
2008-05-08, 01:20 PM
My first D&D Campaign we had a Wild-Elf Barbarian with something like 12 Int, 14 Wis and 13 Cha. Later we did a rewrite of the group (The DM was really bad and had let some people come in with LA's and didn't factor them as hgiher levels for encounters and xp.) He took on the Half-Fiend template but chisfted to a G alignment. He backed it up by saying he was adventuring to collect wealth for his tribe.

It was an interesting character to say the least.

BadJuJu
2008-05-08, 02:17 PM
He can also pick up Gather Information as a class skill by trading it for Handle Animal (Cityscape Web Enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) gives this option; could give other useful ones for the "feel" of a City Barbarian), which could probably add some feel to this. Smooth talker, who excels at getting information, talking problems through without hurting anyone (at most hinting at the option - Intimidate), and perhaps a very capable infiltrator too. You could even play this in his combat style; maybe go for the "Intelligent Fighting"-Combat Expertise line and use those.

If he trades his Trap Sense for Trapkiller (Dungeonscape), and maxes out Survival, he could actually substitute for a Rogue in all but opening locks (and stealing stuff, I suppose). I really like making oddball variants out of existing characters (although I mostly do oddball concepts rather than classes, since classes tend to be mostly unnecessary fluff), so this is right up my alley.

Barbarians are actually pretty good at opening locks...

Eldariel
2008-05-08, 02:37 PM
Barbarians are actually pretty good at opening locks...

I'm talking about ways that don't immediately alert every foe within a 2-mile radius. And actually opening so they can be closed, not just removing.

Behold_the_Void
2008-05-08, 02:49 PM
Conceptually I like it a lot, you're just going to have to stretch your points a bit thin. Talk to your DM, see if s/he's willing to let you swap something for Diplomacy to help reflect the cultured aspect more. It's not a huge thing, and a lot of DMs would probably be willing to do that. If not, I believe the Able Learner feat allows you to buy cross-class at 1 for 1, so that should give you a bit more skill points to play with. The Gather Information variant is also worth considering.

Neon Knight
2008-05-08, 03:36 PM
It's solid enough. I am curious as to why he possesses this dual nature, this polite exterior until provoked and then proves to be something of a psychopath. A little Jekel-Hyde, or is it more of a Hulk thing?

Just don't be surprised when the party decides, out of all the loot, to give you the Phoenician dyed daisy dukes and some glowing glass orbs. Creepy pants all the time get some (http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail127.html).