PDA

View Full Version : Desert environment rules?

cintain
2008-05-07, 07:26 PM
Hi everyone.

I am currently beginning a campaign, a substantial portion of which will be set in a desert environment. Being a bit of a perfectionist as a DM, I want to really create the feel for desert conditions and give my players some sense of the effect that the weather has on them.

Does anyone know of a supplement (besides WotC's Sandstorm) that describes rules for desert environment conditions and how they affect play? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
C

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-07, 07:34 PM
Nope, Sandstorm is the go-to book for that. Some setting based books detail deserts, but not in a very complete way.

RTGoodman
2008-05-07, 07:37 PM
Yep, Sandstorm is usually the way to go, though the DMG/SRD also has information on Desert Environments (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/wilderness.htm#desertTerrain) and a chart for Desert Weather (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/weather.htm).

EDIT: Also, is there a particular reason you're looking for something other than Sandstorm? Do you not like it? Or are you just looking for something different?

DementedFellow
2008-05-07, 07:47 PM
There usually isn't much love for Sandstorm. But I found it to be a cohesive and complete supplement. Even more so than it's opposite, Frostburn. It covers pretty much everything, from the environment, to the cultures that reside in that environment, to common methods of water conservation and preparations from heat stroke. And it even includes powerful, albeit setting-reliant, PrCs, such as Sand Shaper and Walker in the Waste.

There are a couple bits in Forgotten Realms about the desert regions and evil that resides in them, but I found it to be like the designers included it in there out of perfunctory reasons rather than try to describe the nitty-gritty of it.

Deserts just don't get much love in D&D, it could be the added rules (on an already rule-heavy game) about heat stroke and exhaustion and water rationing, or it could be that it simply lacks the usual stuff they see, like trees and foliage to hide behind. Sandstorm isn't for everyone, but for anyone trying to make a well-executed desert environment that is still brimming with life, it's a solid building block.

If your players don't want to worry with heat exhaustion and whatnot, you are the DM, and can will those away saying that the gods have favored them and have sheathed them in a protective aura that prevents such dangers. Really, sometimes the rules on heat dangers and its effects are cumbersome, I wouldn't blame anyone for not including that in a game, even though it may hurt the verisimilitude.

cintain
2008-05-10, 08:26 PM
OK, thanks for the heads-up and the feedback, guys. Sandstorm it is!

Cheers,
C

Collin152
2008-05-10, 08:35 PM
If your players don't want to worry with heat exhaustion and whatnot, you are the DM, and can will those away saying that the gods have favored them and have sheathed them in a protective aura that prevents such dangers. Really, sometimes the rules on heat dangers and its effects are cumbersome, I wouldn't blame anyone for not including that in a game, even though it may hurt the verisimilitude.

Living in a desert, I can honestly say that it wouldn't hurt the verismilitude, it would kill it.

DementedFellow
2008-05-11, 11:18 AM
Oh I agree. It would be hard to keep the setting feeling real if your character is immune from danger of heat exhaustion and heat stroke.

But, on the other hand, for a group with a new player, or even a new DM, adding a setting that relies heavily on a set of rules that are not covered by the PHB or DMG, then it could be too big a bite for them to chew. A simple look at all the spells and creatures and effects that can cause magical dessication damage or sun stroke or exhaustion or even thirst will reveal that a good DM has to study these rules up one side and down the other in order to not slow down the game when it comes time at the table.

The desert setting is a fun setting that is brimming with life. It just may not be for every group.