PDA

View Full Version : Elemental Champion [PRC] [PEACH]

Enlong
2008-05-07, 08:28 PM
Elemental Champion

The elements represent conflicting ideals that can only exist in nature. To some, an Elemental is a personification of that kind of abstract perfection. Many warriors attempt to emulate the fury of the elements with their fighting styles, but a precious few make a true connection with them. Those chosen warriors find themselves part of a link to incredible primal power, and the strongest find companionship with the elementals themselves.

Elemental champions have the following game statistics:
Attributes: Like all physical fighters, high Strength is a must for an Elemental champion, with Constitution and Dexterity close seconds. Each "type" of Elemental Champion also has an attribute that is important for several of their class abilities: Constitution for Earth, Wisdom for Water, Dexterity for Air, and Charisma for Fire.
Alignment: Any
Hit die: D8

Prerequisites:
Feats:Must have Weapon Focus with one or more weapons
BAB: +6
Skills: Knowledge: The Planes 4 ranks
Special: Must have made peaceful contact with a native outside of an elemental subtype.
Must be proficient with at least one kind of armour

Class Skills:
Knowledge: The planes
Climb
Spot
Listen
Intimidate
Jump
Skill points per level: 4 plus INT mod.

{table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1|+1|+2|+0|+2| Elemental attunement, Elemental clout, Elemental armor +1
2|+2|+3|+0|+2| Elemental Weapon +1
3|+3|+3|+1|+3| Elemental Guard, Elemental Armor +2
4|+4|+3|+1|+3| Swift materialization, Elemental Weapon +2
5|+5|+4|+1|+4| Elemental Motion, Elemental Armor +3, Greater Elemental Weapon
6|+6|+4|+2|+4| Elemental Resistance, Elemental Weapon +3, Greater Elemental Armor
7|+7|+5|+2|+5| Elemental Power, Elemental Armor +4
8|+8|+5|+2|+5| Elemental Command, Elemental Weapon +4,
9|+9|+6|+3|+6| Elemental Form, Elemental Armor +5
10|+10|+6|+3|+6| Elemental protector, Perfected Elemental Weapon, Elemental Weapon +5[/table]

Weapon and armor proficiencies
An Elemental Champion gains no additional weapon or armor proficiencies

Elemental Attunement:
The mantle of an Elemental Champion is, at its core, a binding pact between the champion, and one of the Elemental planes. At first level, an Elemental Champion must choose one of the four elements, and the energy type associated with that element. This choice affects the champion's class features. The four choices are:
{table]Element|Energy type
Water|Cold
Earth|Acid
Fire|Fire
Air|Electricity[/table]
Once made, this choice cannot be overturned or changed.

Elemental Armor (SU)
An Elemental Champion has the ability to conjure personal armor entirely from his or her chosen element. The armor is of a type that the Champion has proficiency with, but can be a different kind each time, if he so chooses. Conjuring the armor is a move action that provokes attacks of opportunity, and dismissing it is a free action. If the champion is of Earth, Water, or Air, then there must be a sufficient volume of the element within sight for them to make their armor.
At first level, Elemental Armor has a +1 enhancement bonus. This bonus grows by one every two levels afterward, to a total of +5 at level 9. All Elemental Armor also has a magical attribute, depending on the Energy.
{table]Element|Attribute
Water|Fast Healing 1
Earth|DR 2/Adamantine
Fire|Fire Shield*1
Air|Wind Wall*1[/table]
*1 functions as the spell of the same name, can be activated or deactivated as a standard action at will.

Elemental Clout:
When interacting with creatures with the subtype of his element, an Elemental champion gains a bonus to Diplomacy checks equal to his level in Elemental Champion

Elemental Weapon: (SU)
Beginning at 2nd level an Elemental Champion can use their element to form a weapon. Like the Armor, conjuring it is a move action, and dismissing it is a free action. The weapon formed must be one for which the Elemental Champion has proficiency; beyond that, it can be any weapon. If creating a weapon with ammo, the Elemental Champion generates 10 units when he first generates the weapon; he can also create more ammo with a move action, 10 at a time. An Elemental Weapon has one special quality, depending on the Champion's chosen element:
{table]Element|Attribute
Water|Freezing
Earth|Vitriolitic*
Fire|Flaming
Air|Shocking[/table]
*Vitriolitic functions like Flaming, except it deals Acid damage.
At 2nd level, an Elemental Weapon has a +1 enhancement bonus. This bonus increases every 2 levels, to a total of +5 at level 10.

Elemental Guard: (SU)
At third level, an Elemental Champion's connection to their elemental plane begins to augment their fighting ability.
Depending on their chosen element, at Third level, an Elemental Champion gains a bonus to AC equal to their bonus in one attribute, as illustrated in the following table.
{table]Element|Attribute
Water|Wisdom
Earth|Constitution
Fire|Charisma
Air|Dexterity*[/table]
*This bonus stacks with the normal Dexterity bonus to AC, and is not limited by heavy armor or shields.

Swift Materialization: (SU)
At 4th level, an Elemental Champion can form their Elemental Armor or Elemental Weapon as a free action instead of a move action, and no longer provokes attacks of opportunity while doing so.

Greater Elemental Weapon:
In addition to the magical attribute normally held by the Elemental Weapon, a 5th level Elemental Champion's Elemental Weapon gains a second attribute
{table]Element|Attribute
Water|Freezing Burst
Earth|Vitriolitic Burst*
Fire|Flaming Burst
Air|Shocking Burst[/table]
*Functions like Shocking Burst, but deals Acid Damage

Elemental Motion: (SU)
At 5th level, an Elemental Champion gains an extra form of movement, depending on their element.
{table]Water|Swim speed and Water breathing (same as base land speed, unaffected by armor Check penalty)
Earth|Burrow speed through soft earth and sand, and ability to breathe while burrowing (same as base land speed)
Fire|Flamewalk*
Air|Fly speed (same as base land speed, good manuverability)[/table]
*Flamewalk
This ability allows an Elemental Champion to enter one source of flame and teleport instantly to another, with no damage to himself. This is a conjuration (teleportation) effect. The flame must be of at least equal size as you. By moving into a flame, you instantly know if there are other flames within range. You can remain in the flame before being shunted out again for a length of time equal to 1 round/level. The range of teleportation depends on the size of the flame relative to you, as illustrated in the following table:
{table]Size of flame|Transport range
4 sizes larger|3000 feet
3 sizes larger|2000 feet
2 sizes larger|1500 feet
1 size larger|1000 feet
same size|500 feet[/table]

Elemental Resistance: (SU)
At 6th level, an Elemental Champion gains Energy Resistance 15 to the energy type associated with their chosen element.

Greater Elemental Armor: (SU)
At 6th level, an Elemental Champion's Elemental Armor gains an additional magical attribute.
{table]Element|Attribute
Water|Fast Healing 3
Earth|DR5/Adamantine
Fire|Burning*
Air|Swift**[/table]
*See the Eberron Campaign Setting for details (an elemental armor with this attribute does not actually have an elemental bound inside it)
**Swift armor does not reduce its wearer's land speed. In fact, it adds a 10 foot bonus to the wearer's land speed

Elemental Power: (EX)
A 7th level Elemental champion gains a permanent +2 bonus to one attribute:
{table]Element|Attribute
Water|WIS
Earth|CON
Fire|CHA
Air|DEX[/table]

Elemental Command: (SP)
An 8th level Elemental Champion gains the ability to emulate one spell, which allows them to control their chosen element. They can use this ability a number of times per day equal to half their Elemental Champion level. Caster level is equal to half thier character level.
{table]Element|Spell
Water|Control Water
Earth|Stone Shape (also works on soft earth)
Fire|Control Flame*
Air|Control Winds[/table]
* Identical to the Psionic power of the same name. Treat as having a Power Point reserve equal to class level.

Elemental Form: (EX)
At 9th level, an Elemental Champion's connection to the elemental planes has forever altered their physical form. Their type changes to Elemental, and they gain the subtype that is the same as their chosen element. Cosmetically, they are now made of their element.
In addition, each of the Elements gain a bonus to the movement ability granted by Elemental Motion:
{table]Element|Ability
Water|Swim Speed doubles in speed.
Earth|Burrow Speed replaced by Earth Elemental's Earth Glide ability
Fire|All Flamewalk distances increase by 500'
Air|Fly speed upgraded to Perfect manuverability[/table]

Perfected Elemental Weapon:
At 10th level, an Elemental Champion's Elemental weapon has reached a level of perfection, gaining one final power.
{table]Element|Attribute
Water|Waterborn*
Earth|Wounding
Fire|Burning*
Air|Speed[/table]
* See Ebberron campaign setting (this weapon does not actually contain a bound elemental)

Perfected Elemental Armor:
At 10th level, and Elemental Champion's Elemental armor has reached a level of perfection, gaining one final power.
{table]Element|Attribute
Water|Regeneration*
Earth|DR10/-
Fire|Flashfire**
Air|Whirlwind***[/table]
*As if wearing a ring of regeneration
**Flashfire: a Flashfire Armor can be commanded, up to 3 times per day, to engulf everything in a 20-foot diameter sphere in flame, dealing 5d6 points of fire damage, and setting everything flammable on fire. Reflex save halves the damage, and keeps one from catching fire.
***See the Ebberron Campaign Setting (this armor does not actually contain a bound elemental)

Elemental Protector: (SU)
At 10th level, an Elemental Champion has formed such a bond with the Elemental plane that supplies him with his power that he has formed a personal link with an elemental. After conjuring his Elemental Armor, he can project it off of himself. The armor then generates limbs and other body parts out of the chosen elements and begins to move under its own power, and fights for the Champion.
The Elemental Protector is an Elemental with the subtype of the Champion's chosen element. It has a number of HD equal to the Elemental Champion's Character level and is shaped like the Elemental Champion in his armor. It is otherwise ordinary for an Elemental of its size (see Monster Manual). The Elemental will only act via mental commands issued by the Elemental Champion, who must maintain Concentration to continue the effect. If the Elemental Champion is unable to concentrate, then the Elemental Protector stands motionless where it is until the Elemental Champion is able to concentrate again. The Elemental Protector collapses back into its component elements if it leaves a radius of 10' per character level of the Elemental Champion.
Once per week, for five rounds, an Elemental Champion may augment his Elemental Protector, temporarily transforming it into an Elemental Monolith* with HD equal to his character level.
An Elemental Champion is able to heal his Elemental Protector by taking a Move action. Each day he can heal the Protector for a total number of hit points per day equal to his character level times his bonus in the appropriate attribute for his element. This healing can be split up among as many uses as the Elemental Champion wishes. The Protector's hit points carry over even if the armor is dismissed and re-formed, and as such, the Protector can be healed by the Champion even if it is not out. If the Elemental Protector is killed, then the Elemental Champion is Dazed for 1d6 rounds, and may not use this power for the rest of the day (though he can still summon his Elemental Armor)
* See Complete Arcane

...*pant*...*pant*...*gasp*... You have no idea how exhausting it was to write that. So, what do you think? Too powerful? Not powerful enough? Lame in general? Too many abilities? (I tried to not have any dead levels) Just right?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-05-07, 08:47 PM
DR Vs. Sonic damage doesn't work. Sonic is an energy type of damage and would overcome it no matter what, along with all energy damage. For earth I would suggest DR Vs. adamantine instead.

Aleron
2008-05-07, 09:07 PM
Mulan? You really used a line from a song in Mulan as the thrad title? :-P

Kidding, nothing against Mulan, I've had to watch it god only knows how many times with my kids :)

Now, about the class it's self I have a couple questions:
Forgive me people bringing up the forbidden class...
If you are a Water Element, and a Monk...(What, no lightning strike?) does the wis bonus from this stack with the Monk Wisdom to Armor bonus?

Does this allow stacking on unarmed strikes? Mainly again, because of how it would interact with anyone with Improved Unarmed Strike and doing an unarmed fighter build

Outside from those couple questions...Wow...This is a really nice class. Good flavor and good abilities. Nicely done :)

Enlong
2008-05-07, 09:33 PM
Mulan? You really used a line from a song in Mulan as the thrad title? :-P

Kidding, nothing against Mulan, I've had to watch it god only knows how many times with my kids :)

Now, about the class it's self I have a couple questions:
Forgive me people bringing up the forbidden class...
If you are a Water Element, and a Monk...(What, no lightning strike?) does the wis bonus from this stack with the Monk Wisdom to Armor bonus?

Does this allow stacking on unarmed strikes? Mainly again, because of how it would interact with anyone with Improved Unarmed Strike and doing an unarmed fighter build

Outside from those couple questions...Wow...This is a really nice class. Good flavor and good abilities. Nicely done :)Well, I wanted a clever title, and I wanted one that illustrated the multielemental nature of the class, so...

Yes, the Wis bonus stacks with Monk AC bonus, just like the Air Armor stacks with the normal DEX to AC bonus.

And yes, you can make an Elemental Unarmed Strike, so long as you have Weapon Focus: Unarmed Strike.

However, as the class stands, Monks need to take an Armor Proficiency feat to get into the class, as the class requires one to have proficiency with at least one kind of armor, due to the class's focus on the Elemental Armor.

On that note, one small thing: are the Prereqs too limiting? Specifically, the requirement of proficiency with armor, and the limiting of ones Elemental Weapon to weapons you have Weapon Focus with. I think I should probably dump that second requirement, but I don't know how to make Elemental Armor work for a character with no armor proficiencies.

Aleron
2008-05-07, 09:45 PM
I'll be honest, I missed the armor proficency thing. That I do think is a bit much. The way I was looking at the armor was the element would form around the character. Not a "true" armor, but more of an elemental shroud in the rough form of armor that would grant the bonuses you listed.

Oops :-P Still, It's a good build but in that case I'd either
A) Drop the requirement
B) Make the Elemental armor give the bonuses to work armor.

Yeah, screws monks, but what doesn't :(

Enlong
2008-05-07, 09:50 PM
I'll be honest, I missed the armor proficency thing. That I do think is a bit much. The way I was looking at the armor was the element would form around the character. Not a "true" armor, but more of an elemental shroud in the rough form of armor that would grant the bonuses you listed.

Oops :-P Still, It's a good build but in that case I'd either
A) Drop the requirement
B) Make the Elemental armor give the bonuses to work armor.

Yeah, screws monks, but what doesn't :(
Work Armor?

Aleron
2008-05-07, 09:56 PM
Work Armor?

Umm...well...damn. I'm not even sure why I typed that.

That should have been "Worn"...my bad

Enlong
2008-05-07, 10:05 PM
Yeah. Sorry about Monks. Perhaps later I'll write a variant, something that drops Elemental Armor in favor of other defensive bonuses. Perhaps turning the user more effectively into an Elemental, or something.

Also: D'yu think I should drop the Weapon Focus requirement, and/or the clause that the Elemental weapon is only a weapon you have WF with? Seems almost too restrictive to me.

Aleron
2008-05-07, 10:10 PM
Well, let me ask you this. What are the reasons for the requirements? I'm not saying I disagree, or that any SHOULD be removed, just for what reason are they each in there. Fluff, Mechanical, ect...

Enlong
2008-05-07, 10:18 PM
Well, let me ask you this. What are the reasons for the requirements? I'm not saying I disagree, or that any SHOULD be removed, just for what reason are they each in there. Fluff, Mechanical, ect...

Well... my original reasoning was: "If they have Weapon Focus, that's the weapon they're going to be making, so why not make that a requirement?"
But now I'm thinking: "Why restrict the players who can think of good uses of nonstandard weaponry when the need arises. Do I want to penalize the player who can think to conjure a Knife to cut their bonds, or a Spiked Chain as an impromptu rope?"
So now I think I should kick the Weapon Focus Prereq, and change Elemental Weapon to being only weapons with which you have proficiency.

Edit: Added a little something to Elemental Form, what do you think?

Aleron
2008-05-07, 10:31 PM
Sounds good on that note, I like it. Now, for the rest of the pre-reqs

Feats:Must have Weapon Focus with one or more weapons
Well, dealt with this on other than wording...no biggie here

BAB: +6
BAB requirement are sorta arbitrary for all PrC, so again, no biggie

Skills: Knowledge: The Planes 4 ranks
Makes sence...though I'd almost up the requirement by a SP or two

Special: Must have made peaceful contact with a native outside of an elemental subtype.
Again makes perfect sense to me.

Special: Must be proficient with at least one kind of armour
This one I don't necessarly get, but there's nothing wrong with it. Just curious why this is the way it is.

EDIT:
I like that. Makes you a sorta mini elemental by the time you hit lvl 10 of the class :)

Enlong
2008-05-08, 05:32 AM
This one I don't necessarly get, but there's nothing wrong with it. Just curious why this is the way it is.Well... since the Elemental Armor is almost all the class, I wanted to make sure that the aspiring Elemental Champion could wear armor. O'course, it screws Monks, but perhaps I could make a variant?

Kesnit
2008-05-08, 08:01 AM
Well... since the Elemental Armor is almost all the class, I wanted to make sure that the aspiring Elemental Champion could wear armor. O'course, it screws Monks, but perhaps I could make a variant?

Or just say a Monk's robes act as their Elemental Armor. The Monk would still have to take an armor proficincy feat, but nothing says they ever have to WEAR the armor.

Aleron
2008-05-08, 08:27 AM
One other thing to consider. Since he's so intuned with one of the elements you might give him a diplomacy bonus with elementals, or even outsider?, of the correct element. Would make since that someone with an inate connection to the plain of fire would have some idea how to talk and schmooz with them.

Enlong
2008-05-08, 02:54 PM
OK, I made some much-needed changes to the class. I made Elemental Weapon any proficient weapon, altered Elemental Protector a significant deal (tell me if the reprecussions to losing the thing are still too much), changed Elemental Wall to Elemental Command, and added a new 1st-level ability, Elemental Clout. Oh, and I added PEACH to the title. That should attract more critique.

Aleron
2008-05-08, 03:14 PM
Elemental Protector: (SU)
At 10th level, an Elemental Champion has formed such a bond with the Elemental plane that supplies him with his power that he has formed a personal link with an elemental. After conjuring his Elemental Armor, he can project it off of himself. The armor then generates limbs and other body parts out of the chosen elements and begins to move under its own power, and fights for the Champion.
This part is fine, nothing to change IMO

The Elemental Protector is an Elemental with the subtype of the Champion's chosen element. It has a number of HD equal to the Elemental Champion's Character level. It is other wise ordinary for an Elemental of its size (see Monster Manual). The Elemental will only act via mental commands issued by the Elemental Champion, who must maintain Concentration to continue the effect.
What happens when the Champion is unable to give sommands. Does the elemental vanish, stand mobile and do nothing including defending it's self, ect...

Once per week, for five rounds, an Elemental Champion may augment his Elemental Protector, temporarily transforming it into an Elemental Monolith.Not sure what this is...where can I find it?

An Elemental Champion is able to heal his Elemental Protector by taking a Move action. Each day he can heal a total number of hit points of damage to his Elemental Protector equal to his class level times his modifier for his Element's attribute, as described in previous tables. The Protector's hit points carry over even if the armor is dismissed and re-formed. If the Elemental Protector is killed, then the Elemental Champion is Dazed for 1d6 rounds, and may not use this power for the rest of the day (though he can still summon his Elemental Armor)
The healing may be a bit much(would it always be a +5 mod by this point (5*10)? I'd just say can heal up to 50 points of damage and be done with it, though does this require a touch, short range, ect...

Also the loss effect isn't that bad...maybe if your worried change it to 1d4 instead.

senrath
2008-05-08, 03:23 PM
This part is fine, nothing to change IMO

What happens when the Champion is unable to give sommands. Does the elemental vanish, stand mobile and do nothing including defending it's self, ect...
Not sure what this is...where can I find it?
The healing may be a bit much(would it always be a +5 mod by this point (5*10)? I'd just say can heal up to 50 points of damage and be done with it, though does this require a touch, short range, ect...

Also the loss effect isn't that bad...maybe if your worried change it to 1d4 instead.

Elemental Monoliths on page 156 of Complete Arcane. You summon them via a 9th level spell called Summon Elemental Monolith, which has a duration of Concentration (max 1 round/level).

Aleron
2008-05-08, 03:30 PM
Thanks Sen, I'll have to see what that does when I get home from work. :)

Enlong
2008-05-08, 03:47 PM
fixed that one part of the Elemental Protector to state what happens when you can't concentrate.

D Knight
2008-05-08, 08:51 PM
there is a weapon abilty called aicdic aicdic bursting in the CW(complete warrior). i think can someone double check me on that. thanks. but overall it looks and sounds good so great job

condorion3901
2008-05-24, 12:06 PM
so is this a summoned elemental creature that acts as the champions protector or simply a mass of earth directly controlled by the champion. i ask because the healing of it and the penalties for not concentrating seem to conflict on that point. if not concentrating makes it stop functioning then it would seem to be just a mass of earth and healing it would be more like reforming his weapon or armor after it has been broken, still a move action but maybe based on a percentage of health the protector has that the champion could reform each turn while still concentrating on commanding it.
but if it acts more as a summoned elemental than the healing makes sense but the elemental could act on its own, granted you would probably want to keep it so that the elemental champion's armor and weapons couldn't we used by both the elemental champion and its protector at the same time. also if its an elemental i would keep the healing based on level otherwise it quickly becomes and obsolete ability in the higher levels.
i'm loving the class though, ingenious.