PDA

View Full Version : Commodore 64

Pearl
2008-05-07, 11:31 PM
I recently downloaded (after some trouble) a Commodore 64 emulator for my OSX.

However, even though I was able to add a game (Evil Dead, of course) and I can launch it, I find myself unable to play. The controls do not work and seemingly don't even exist. All I can do is watch the cinematic over and over while my frustration builds. Can anyone skilled with retro gaming show me where I've gone wrong? I can provide more info if that's needed.

poleboy
2008-05-08, 02:05 AM
Try a different emulator?

OSX is mac right? I bet it doesn't work with Mac.

Pearl
2008-05-08, 09:12 AM
It's designed specifically for OS9 and OSX.

Premier
2008-05-08, 10:07 AM
Like most emulators, it probably has some menus or options or config files where you need to set how it should emulate input devices. Start by reading any readme files if you haven't done so already.

[Insert Neat Username Here]
2008-05-08, 04:35 PM
I'm pretty sure discussing emulators violates the forum rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26) under "discussing illegal activity."

Pearl
2008-05-08, 05:40 PM
It's not illegal, I don't think; the company is defunct and the copyright is probably expired. I could see how a 360 emulator would be illegal, but I know that most of this (probably all) is freeware.

Anyway, the readme idea sounds pretty good. Thanks everyone.

factotum
2008-05-09, 06:56 AM
;4299805']I'm pretty sure discussing emulators violates the forum rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26) under "discussing illegal activity."

An emulator is not, in itself, illegal. It may be illegal to download the ROM code for the machine that is being emulated (the ZX Spectrum ROM has been released by Amstrad, the last owners of the copyright, but the same may not apply to the C64 ROMs), and it is almost certainly illegal to download a game image that you don't already own in order to play it on your emulator, but the emulator itself is fine.

Pearl
2008-05-09, 12:20 PM
I think I've figured out why I can't run anything. I don't have a joystick. Does anyone know of a way to work around that? i can't exactly buy one, I don't think.

Smight
2008-05-15, 03:28 AM
i don,t think those games are sold anymore so it's probably
"Abandonware refers to computer software that is no longer sold or supported, or whose ownership may be unclear for various reasons"

Premier
2008-05-15, 05:19 AM
I think I've figured out why I can't run anything. I don't have a joystick. Does anyone know of a way to work around that? i can't exactly buy one, I don't think.

Have you done what I told you? Read the emulator's documentation on settings and such. My emulator (CCS) can map joystick input onto the cursor (or in fact, IIRC, any other) keys, and I'd be surprised if yours couldn't do the same.

factotum
2008-05-15, 06:34 AM
i don,t think those games are sold anymore so it's probably
"Abandonware refers to computer software that is no longer sold or supported, or whose ownership may be unclear for various reasons"

Abandonware has no legal basis whatsoever. Copyright does not require the copyright holder to sell or support the work in order to persist.