PDA

View Full Version : The Sacrifice Project (D&D) - help needed!

Cogwheel
2008-05-08, 01:08 AM
Some of you might be familiar with a fairly old RTS called Sacrifice. For those of you who aren't, here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacrifice_(computer_game))'s the Wiki link. I realize that it's old and more or less dead, but as one of my favorite games ever, I want to try and convert it to D&D. Any help will be appreciated, but first, here's what I have so far.

Mana/manaliths - I will be using slightly modified psionics here, and possibly even regular magic with the spell point system, if it seems like it might work. New spells/powers will be made for the creation of Manaliths (and also for making shrines, guardianing creatures to either, and so on). Standing next to (maybe within 10 feet?) a manalith/fountain gives you power points equal to your level each round. If you're away from a 'lith/fountain, each Manahoar within 30 feet of you gives you PP regen equal to half the amount of 'Liths you control per round. If you are near a 'Lith/fountain and also have Manahoars around, the two PP sources stack.

Souls - Souls will effectively be a different power point pool (the amount you start with for each mission is arbitrary, being up to the DM) that can only be used for summoning creatures. Regular power points can't be used for creatures. Each creature costs a different amount of regular PP (recoverable) and souls to create. Souls do not regenerate no matter what you might do. When a creature dies, the souls spent to summon it will float over it, and whoever created it (note: not just any ally) can pick it up by passing through any of the squares the dead creature occupies, thus adding those souls to their soul pool. Anyone else has to get those souls through the Convert spell (see below).

Spells/Creatures - I'm thinking of using the domain system here.. sort of. Each domain will have a creature and a spell associated with it at each level (admittedly, I won't have a list for every domain, maybe not even all the core ones). Whenever you happen to level up, you get to pick a spell and a creature from any of the domains that the deity you're currently working for possesses. Thus, nothing is deity-specific, everyone gets stuff that more or less fits their portfolio, and there's much more space for customization between characters, even between two who both work exclusively for the same deity.

Deities - I've decided against using the game pantheon (Stratos, Charnel, James, Pyro, Persephone). Instead, each game will have a different pantheon, likely picked from among the various options in the PHB, Comp.Divine and so on.

Convert - After casting this (obviously first level) power/spell, a sac doctor drops down from the sky (taking no damage) and starts surgery (or whatever they do) on the target creature. One (maybe two?) rounds later, they carry the creature off, and run to the nearest altar/shrine you control. Once there, they will start converting the creature, which takes 2 rounds per soul the creature contains. After this is finished, the sac doctor(s) will vanish, and the souls will be added to your soul pool. In the event that the sac doctor gets killed, the creature escapes at half health, and is hostile.

Sac doctor - 1 HD outsider, completely harmless. I'll come up with stats some other time, but it doesn't need to be more than a hit die on legs, I think.

Desecrate - After casting it, a sac doctor drops down from the sky and carries off a live creature of your choice that you control. The sac doctor takes a round to carry the creature to the altar, at which point 3 more sac doctors appear, and they begin sacrificing the creature. While the spell is in progress, lightning will rain down above the altar's owner, dealing 1d6 damage per soul the sacrificed creature contains/round. Note that this is divine damage and not electricity. If the wizard dies while the spell is in progress, the altar is destroyed and they are permanently banished. If any of the sac doctors are killed, the spell is cancelled, and the creature released.

So... thoughts? I know it's not much, but that's all I have for the moment.

Lord_Gareth
2008-05-08, 06:08 AM
Hahahahaha! FOR PYRO!

*Gareth appears out of the mouth of a flaming volcanoe*

So, this sounds like we're changing up the Psion class...a lot. The only real issue I can see is the problem of Variety - namely, how do we get it?

Cogwheel
2008-05-08, 06:59 AM
Variations on the theme of casters, really. There's only one (maybe two) classes, though races are available as per usual. As I said, even between two "wizards" that exclusively serve the same deity, there can be many differences, since you pick spells and creatures off one of said deity's domains at each level.

So no, not much in the way of variation as far as classes go, but there are endless differences between the "wizards". I suppose if you go for something less casting-heavy in terms of classes (say, psychic warrior, or even a caster with some fighter levels or something) and pick up some more combat-oriented domains (strength, earth etc.), it might be an option.

And yes, Bovine Intervention will be worked into the whole thing... somehow.

HellFencer
2008-05-08, 09:49 AM
Wow... Been a long time since I've played Sacrifice. I got it as a free demo, too. I never knew anyone else played it, though. I can't really help much, but wanted to say "kudos" and "good luck" since I didn't play through THAT much of it.

Cogwheel
2008-05-08, 10:21 AM
Thanks ^_^ It's abandonware now, being the old game it is, so you should be able to burn it on to a CD without getting into any trouble :smallsmile:

Lord_Gareth
2008-05-08, 11:46 AM
I have an idea!

All classes will get summoning spells at a certain rate. These spells are based on what god they are actively worshipping at the time (a la Sacrifice). Casting a summoning spell takes one standard action per soul needed to create the creature (thus, two souls is a full-round action, and so on).

Will we be making some of the actual creatures, such as Braniacs and those freaky-ass scythe-things?

Cogwheel
2008-05-09, 07:20 AM
Interesting... so you're suggesting that people get creatures to summon regardless of class, but spells are optional? As to standard actions, I like the idea, might just do that.. although in the game, there wasn't much of a difference in casting time between creatures.

And yes, obviously I'll be recreating as many creatures as possible (Brainiacs being one of the easiest - level 1 at-will mind thrust with wings - along with many spells, like Volcano and, ofcourse, Bovine Intervention :smallbiggrin:

Cogwheel
2008-05-09, 10:08 AM
Wait a second... wouldn't that mean that I can leave the spell lists as they are? But would psions, arcane casters, druids and so on get domain spells from their deities, or is that just a cleric/favored soul thing?

Still, only needing to do creatures would make the whole thing a lot easier. And by the way, is the domain system actually good, or should it just be by deity?

Oh, and what are those scythe-things you mentioned? Do you mean the actual Scythes (Charnel's basic melee), or something else entirely?