PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Trouble

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-05-08, 12:10 PM
I recently started a second shift job, and I'm having trouble adjusting to my new sleep schedule.

Now, I expect as part of this shift to occasionally wake up at times I would normally have been awake but is now squarely within the time I should be asleep. I also expect any sunlight that manages to sneek past my curtains to wake me up early as well.

What troubles me is that I have just realized I occasionally wake up at times that are totally dark and I would have been asleep at anyway during my original schedule. I find this odd and unexpected. Generally, I fall back asleep pretty quickly, so I suspect this may have been going on since I started to shift schedules, but I'm only just noticing it now.

Can anyone direct me to a source that will help me determine if this sort of thing would be normal for such a schedule shift? Or is this something I should be concerned about? I don't have much time to do a lot of independent research and track this info down on my own. Any help would be appreciated.

crimson77
2008-05-08, 12:58 PM
Can anyone direct me to a source that will help me determine if this sort of thing would be normal for such a schedule shift? Or is this something I should be concerned about? I don't have much time to do a lot of independent research and track this info down on my own. Any help would be appreciated.

I would suggest working on sleep hygiene (http://www.umm.edu/sleep/sleep_hyg.htm), try blacking out your windows with tinfoil to keep the light out. If things do not get better in a few weeks, you might want to consider getting a referral from your doctor for a consultation with a sleep doctor and/or sleep psychologist.

Thiel
2008-05-08, 02:05 PM
I'll recommend that you wait a few days and see if it gets better. It varies a lot from person to person how long it takes to adjust ones body to a new sleep schedule, so you may just be in the slow end.
Before anyone slaps me on the head, that's not an insult. We can't our own biochemistry.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-05-08, 02:07 PM
I would suggest working on sleep hygiene (http://www.umm.edu/sleep/sleep_hyg.htm), try blacking out your windows with tinfoil to keep the light out.
Yeah, I've got most of those covered. As far as those kind of habits go, my one major problem is I want to go to sleep as soon as I get home, which means I really don't have a sufficient rest period between work time and bed time. But does that wake you up after you get to sleep, or does it just make you take longer to fall asleep to begin with?

As to the light, I've been trying to hedge it out with a couple layers of fleece blankets. I've found a setup that seems to work rather well. There's another window that's pretty far away that isn't much of a bother, but I think it should be coverd, too. Not enough blankets for that setup, though.

I've been thinking of looking ino some sort of sleep mask.

But, yeah, like I said, it's the waking up in the absence of any obvious stimulus that's got me worried.

Before anyone slaps me on the head, that's not an insult. We can't our own biochemistry.
Hey! No problem. My body's always been slower to adjust to changes than my mind.

Groundhog
2008-05-08, 03:20 PM
I'd guess that it's the lack of a rest period between coming home from work and going to sleep. Because my dad has had this happen to him as well, and it's always when he's been working late and going straight to bed when he comes home.

crimson77
2008-05-08, 03:35 PM
You might want to check into going to a sleep center (http://www.sleepcenters.org/). The link will help you find an AASM certified sleep center/doctor that might be able to help you. I remember from a seminar on sleep research that I attended, there is a startling number of American's who have undiagnosed sleep disorders.

poleboy
2008-05-09, 01:22 AM
Catnaps? I'm often amazed at how long I can keep going after half an hour's rest or so. It doesn't work for everyone though. Otherwise, try to keep yourself awake when you're supposed to be awake. If you're tired enough, you probably won't wake up in the middle of when you're supposed to be sleeping.

Crispy Dave
2008-05-09, 01:10 PM
I would recoment a suppliment to take its called Melatonin and you can find it at any natrual food store and most grocery stores I take 3 mg it it puts me to sleep and keeps me there. All it is is a supliment (meaning its something your body produces itself) It works great for me plus is fairly cheap.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-05-12, 10:01 AM
Well, right now, I'm gonna try to emphasize a bit more winding down time. Even if that means I have to accept getting to sleep later, which means I would have to get up even later in the morning.

Anyway, now that the idea's been placed in my head by the article crimson77 linked to, I'm thinking I may also need a new mattress. My current one is way to old, and I'm just realizing how uncomfortable it is. Time to budget some time and cash, I guess.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-05-26, 04:48 PM
Okay, well, thanks for your input everybody.

Things have been working out a little better now. I've been giving myself a little more cool-down time, and I've been using a blindfold to help keep light out of my eyes. Though I could probably use more of a full-on sleep mask. But it's been working out pretty well so far.

Still gonna have to look into the mattress thing.

Mauve Shirt
2008-05-26, 04:58 PM
When my dad worked nights he found it very helpful to use a sleep mask and earplugs.