PDA

View Full Version : you wanna tangle with that? (Tactical monster feat)

Stycotl
2008-05-08, 03:14 PM
Centipede’s Claws (Tactical)
You put your speed, agility, and multiple limbs and natural weapons to good effect by staggering, dragging, grappling, and crushing your foe until they are so bewildered and overwhelmed that they cannot defend themselves.
Prerequisites: Base Attack Bonus +15, Combat Reflexes, Improved Grab or Snatch, Multiattack or Multiweapon Fighting, Rend, 3 or more natural weapons.
Benefit: The Centipede’s Claws feat enables the use of three tactical maneuvers.
Grasp of the Kraken—Against a foe that you have successfully grappled for at least one round, your rending attacks do +1d6 damage per natural attack that successfully hits this round.
Raptor Strike—Choose one creature that you threaten this round that has a lower initiative count than you; you can make a single touch attack (touch attack, not snatch or improved grab-modified natural attack) against that foe as an attack of opportunity, in order to start a grapple.
Relentless Predator—If you hit a foe with more than two natural attacks, it takes a cumulative -2 penalty per successful attack to AC, Reflex saves, and skill checks until the beginning of your next turn (maximum penalty equals 1/2 of your HD).

The man feinted left and dodged right, desperately trying to evade the hydra’s snapping maws. But there were just too many of them—there was no way that he could escape them all. One of the serpentine heads caught him by the shoulder and jerked him backward. Another one bite into his left leg and pulled it out from under him. A third maw sank its fangs into his torso, slamming him to the ground before it began to tear and shake violently. The rest were upon him in a second, and his screams terminated abruptly in a liquid gurgle, and a gout of blood and rent flesh.

Stycotl
2008-05-11, 10:16 PM
well, i've been thinking, and i had the though that this could make a cool tactical feta. i'd need 2 similar abilities and an adjustment to the prereqs. so i will be brainstorming this for a bit. if anyone has any suggestions, i could always use outside opinion.

Stycotl
2008-05-20, 11:16 PM
ok, so i had said that i'd make it a tactical feat, cuz by itself, it was kinda boring. number-enhancing feats are cool, but don't really *do* anything. so i changed it up. whaddy'all think?

Stycotl
2008-05-22, 10:59 PM
no one, huh? you guys are swell. i make 'em complex, no one wants to spend the time, i make 'em easy (this is kindergarten), and, what? too boring?

must mean it is perfect. i sure am full of a lot of perfection these days...

DracoDei
2008-05-23, 04:25 AM
Look nice, very powerful feat, but the prerequisites are high enough that might be seen as making up for it... if not you can split it into three or drop Raptor Strike (which is the aspect that makes the least sense to me).

Stycotl
2008-05-23, 01:13 PM
ah. raptor strike was supposed to be all about the speed and efficiency of this multi-limbed creature. basically anyone within reach that is slower than the monster (lower initiative) provokes an improved grab-attack of opportunity.

is that too broad? looking at it, it does seem a little cheap. maybe i should put another term of usage in there or something. make it harder for the monster to initiate the effect (as currently he can use it against anyone with a lower initiative that he can reach.

any thoughts on another prereq to make it harder to qualify for the feat? multiattack sounds good to me, a natural progression of the ability to coordinate affective assaults with multiple limbs.

DracoDei
2008-05-23, 03:41 PM
Multi-attack sounds good... except for things with paired or greater primary weapons...
Just to explain: I have NO idea if this feat is actually balanced or not. I so I am just picking around the edges by hitting aspects other than balance.

Stycotl
2008-05-23, 04:43 PM
cool. i appreciate the input greatly. i have very narrow tunnel-vision and do not catch logical problems like the raptor strike thing until people bring them up. so, muchas gracias, senior!

editing now...

Stycotl
2008-05-23, 04:52 PM
old effect:
Raptor Strike—Against any creature that you threaten this round that has a lower initiative count than you, you can make a single touch attack as an attack of opportunity, to start a grapple.

new effect:

Raptor Strike—Choose one creature that you threaten this round that has a lower initiative count than you; you can make a single touch attack (touch attack, not snatch or improved grab-modified natural attack) against that foe as an attack of opportunity, in order to start a grapple.

how's that look? now it can only affect one creature per round with an initiative-based AoO grapple.

DracoDei
2008-05-23, 11:54 PM
Yeah, that looks like an improvement.

Stycotl
2008-05-24, 04:36 PM
gracias, che.

Goober4473
2008-05-25, 01:06 AM
I don't think lower initiative count should really be used as a requirement for anything. Or at least, I'd be careful with it. I don't recall any WotC abilities relying on initiative for anything except turn order.

If more things used it, maybe it'd work better. At least there would be a tactical advantage to refocusing then, which is really just delaying your turn and doesn't benefit you any more than taking a delay or ready action.

Stycotl
2008-05-25, 11:32 AM
while i understand your reasoning, i disagree. initiative is one of those things that i feel is underused. with the system as is, it hardly even seems like there is an advantage to going first.

in my mind, if you get the highest initiative, and say cast a spell that lasts one round, it should last till the end of the round. so you, as first initiative, would have a great advantage as compared to the guy that gets last initiative, casts a spell, only to have it last for his little fraction of the entire round.

i realize that such a mechanic would not work over all, and so haven't implemented anything like that, though i am always thinking about it.

anyway, to wrap it up, i like initiative. i think it needs to be more a part of the sytem. there should be bonuses to winning initiative. this feat is not so much focused on that idea, since it is specifically focuses on grab-happy monsters. but it is there in spirit.

incidentally, i am pretty sure there are a couple of feats that *do* give bonuses or something to you if you win initiative over your foe. i don't have a clue where or what they are, just seem to remember something along those lines.