PDA

View Full Version : Good times with weapons

cloneof
2008-05-08, 04:20 PM
Hi again the people of giantitp forum!

I have an question considering the weapons of D&D.
How much should I (the DM) increase the power of my party`s weapons as they get levels? (in the form of new weapons and magical enchamtemts)
This question has bugged me some, as finally tomorrow we are starting our first real campaign with people that stay for more then two sessions :smallconfused:

Keld Denar
2008-05-08, 04:29 PM
A good rule of thumb is somewhere around bonus*4. So a level 3-5 character should be able to find/buy/loot/craft a +1 weapon, while a 7-9th level character should similarly find access to a +2 equivilent.

This breaks down a bit past level 12ish though, depending on how a character spends his/her loot. A level 12+ character who cared deeply for weapons might aquire a +6-7 equivilant weapon, while a character who didn't might be happy with a +3 equivilent and instead aquire other character enhancing gear.

tyckspoon
2008-05-08, 04:50 PM
I'm not sure what the official recommendation is, but I usually go with the guideline that the base enchantments should be at least as good as what the party could get by casting Magic Vestments or Greater Magic Weapon on something. So +1 by level 4, +2 by level 8, +3 by 12 and so on. That's just the base enhancement value. The full bonuses can scale a little bit faster, so you don't wind up with a heroic character in the teens who is just carrying a +3 weapon that does nothing else.

Roderick_BR
2008-05-08, 07:10 PM
Do you have Magic Itens Compendium? They suggest some guidelines there for what kind of magic itens should be available at every level. May have something about base magic weapons.

Chronos
2008-05-08, 08:24 PM
Of course, the DMG's Wealth by Level guidelines should help, too. Warrior types will probably want to sink a fair fraction of their WBL into their weapon or weapons, though spellcasters and skillmonkeys will probably want other items more.

cloneof
2008-05-09, 08:51 AM
O.k, thanks guys! This will most help me with todays session :smallbiggrin:.