PDA

View Full Version : Age of Conan

Risky
2008-05-08, 05:30 PM
Is anyone playing or planning on playing it? I'm in the Open Beta right now, and it looks like I'm going to be dropping WoW for it.

Khanderas
2008-05-09, 01:50 AM
I never managed to get into Beta's.
But I did preorder it, supposedly I get me the Rhino (not too sure though, some conflicting informations).
Another thing I cant really get my finger on is what comp spec I need to get it to run acceptably. Nowhere do I find this information.

Since you are in Beta, perhaps you can offer insight to how "über" my stationary comp needs to be to play at a not-too-flashy-graphically ?

Risky
2008-05-09, 02:05 AM
Surely =)

The Open Beta that Im in right now is, from what I've gathered, mostly a stress test for when it goes live. With my current compy (3.4GHz processor, 2 GB of RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS, and Windows XP) I run fine on the default medium settings, though others on the AoC forums are having a more difficult time with it.

A friend of mine bought himself a new computer, and I must say this game looks amazing with everything maxed.

leperkhaun
2008-05-09, 02:31 AM
ill probably play it until WAR comes out, but im not in a hurry to do so.

Holammer
2008-05-09, 06:03 AM
I've tried it some. The game is nice and so, but horribly unfinished. If it's released it in this state it'll be another Vanguard, i.e. a paid beta test.
There are design choices I don't agree with, such as typical quest hubs with surrounding playgrounds with a handful of mobs, the game environments are purely designed for PVP because imagine trying to kill 40 mobs for a drop quest and there are 9-10 mobs up at one time tops and you clear the spawn at the appropriate level very fast. Mob levels vary dramatically as well! Which sadly means high level players will kill the 5-6 level appropriate mobs for them in the dungeon, then they'll steam roll the mobs you want to kill yourself. It really gets on my tits and from what I gather it's a problem in Anarchy Online as well.

I dislike the much touted "real fighting" system or whatever, my first suspicion was that it was a chain combo system, and it is, but you have to initiate a special attack and then input a few keypresses to pull it off. They should just call it the "mash buttons system" instead.
I'll go pick up some more Cola and get off the bloody newbie island and see if it gets better from there. Tortage will stand like a shining example of how you shouldn't design a newbie zone for a game.

Holammer
2008-05-11, 12:04 PM
I'm nearing lvl 40 in game now. Server is down for a 10hour downtime atm, so I might as well wax on and off here.
Getting past the newbie island was a big relief and once you figure out how the game works you don't mind it too much. My most pleasant surprise is the fact that the quest NPCs usually have quite complex dialogue trees in manner similar to say, monkey island. I'd go as far as saying that AoC as a single player experience far exceeds Elder Scrolls Oblivion. No big feat consider what a bunch of crap Oblivion was, but it tells you the scope of how questing feels in the game. Some quests are also quite well thought out, sometimes even dramatic. Like finding the father of a bastard child or helping an ambitious young man securing power and influence in the small backward village he recently arrived at.
Questing is very very easy... even "short bus" easy in AoC. It is similar to running Quest Helper in WoW. Arrows point all over the place and once you get close enough an X shape will tell you on mouse over whether you have to pick up something, or kill monsters. You can whiz through the quest dialogue and just do stuff for XP without even knowing what you just did.

The game, at least as it seems won't launch with an RP-PVE server type at all. It will only come with PVE/PVP & RP-PVP. Sadly I think judging from a lot of conversation in the games Global chat that a lot of players do intend to roll on RP-PVP for the sole reason of causing grief for roleplayers, which is a shame for this is the first time I've actually wanted to roll on RP just because I'm familiar with the Conan universe. /shrug

The AoC forum reflect quite badly on the game. Merely lurking there will fill anyone with disgust. So stay away from that pox ridden leper till the game actually goes live and people stop flaming for the sake of flaming. If the Giants forums were as hostile I'd never bother posting here at all. :smallamused:

This mob amused to no end, I'm sure they could've added "burglar" somewhere if they wanted

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn217/Holammer/burglar.png

Khanderas
2008-05-12, 02:06 AM
Surely =)

The Open Beta that Im in right now is, from what I've gathered, mostly a stress test for when it goes live. With my current compy (3.4GHz processor, 2 GB of RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS, and Windows XP) I run fine on the default medium settings, though others on the AoC forums are having a more difficult time with it.

A friend of mine bought himself a new computer, and I must say this game looks amazing with everything maxed.
That does sound very much like my own comp. Good, then Ill do what I did back when WoW was new. Lagged in Orgimmar until I specced up alittle and has run flawlessly since then (well actually that is a lie, I got some conflicting drivers cause sometimes in Outland (Hellfire Penninsula & rarely shattrah) I get wierd extra lines that at certain angles covers the screen (seems the polygons sometimes dont "end").
Ill get a new and better comp farily soonish, but now I feel I dont have to get it 'NOW!'. Mainly I want a new one for power, more silent and a total reboot in software (so many conflicting drivers and crap, and I fear to poke into it, since I cant find my windows CD no more).

Speaking of, anyone know where to buy a Windows XP copy ? Cause I dont really want Vista for another couple of years. I do want a real copy though, not some "repair CD" crap.

giaokei
2008-05-12, 02:17 AM
will have a try