PDA

View Full Version : BBEG idea: Spell-Sliging Drug Lord

Leliel
2008-05-08, 06:39 PM
An idea of mine for 4th edition is a campagin in a plane where both science and magic have both advanced to the point where it has become a magi-tech Ecumenopolis, a world covered by cities.

Of course, this global civilization has it's drawbacks, namely, that the main form of goverment on the plane is a series of extremely powerful megacorporations-the Chaebol Trust-that are slightly less corrupt than the real-life government of Boris Yeltsin. *Russians shiver*

Still, it isn't all bad. A lot of the Chaebol sub-groups are philanphropist (including, thankfully, the privately owned cops), and there is definte good and definite evil in the world, although there is cetainly a lot of grey.

And it is the definitely black part of the spectrum that we find my potential villain, Jianguo Xin (actually, he's one of a trifecta of villains, the others being corrupt police chief Gerald King, and greedy femme executive Dali Alverez). Basically, he's a thug who happens to have quite a bit more than two brain cells to rub together, and is a relatively low-ranking member of the world's equivelant of the Chinese Triads...When the campaign begins. You see, Xin is a wizard, and a none-to-shabby one at that. He's also a dabbler in narcotic-related alchemy, and he's already started to make his mark on the streets with his mystically-purified poppy juice, and other, less Oriental-traditional drugs. *coughcrackcocainecough*

Soon after that, his bosses recognize his potential, and soon promote him to Pak Tze Sin (basically an advisor) status. After the PCs advance in levels a bit, he gets to Sin Fung (officer) status, and then starts his own Triad, with himself as Shan Chu (take a wild guess). Needless to say, by the time the PCs finally confront him at level 30, he's living in a villa and packing a bazooka to supplant his fireballs.

Still, at his core, he's still just a bully, and is addicted to LSD and peyote. Mystical visions, you understand.

So, is this a good concept? What do you think his alignment should be (use the current chart)?

And before you ask: The Triads are basically China's mafia, and I used them due to the fact that they have a lot of inter-syndicate mythology to go along with their activities).

Chronos
2008-05-08, 08:28 PM
The Mafia have a very rigid hierarchy, with everyone fitting into a spot in the power structure. Organized crime is generally one of the textbook examples of Lawful Evil. Of course, you might want to make him NE, if he doesn't quite fit well into the regimented hierarchy, but probably not chaotic. LN can also work for a mobster, but probably not this specific mobster you're describing.

BRC
2008-05-08, 08:33 PM
Sounds like the type of thing that Shadowrun is built for.

Leliel
2008-05-09, 01:48 PM
Sounds like the type of thing that Shadowrun is built for.

Yeah, I know. I've been keeping him for that as well, but I don't own the game system, relgating me to d20.

kc0bbq
2008-05-09, 04:33 PM
Yeah, I know. I've been keeping him for that as well, but I don't own the game system, relgating me to d20.To make the world believable, you need to find justification for science being worthwhile when magic is faster and generally cheaper. Since we don't know what the scope of magic really is yet in 4e, this might be easy or it might not be.

You may have to reflavor the entirety of magic to fit your concept, especially since there has really never been much in the way of practical magic other than a few cantrips, it's a bit abstract. Realistically, before the ability to cast a fireball, there would be fertility magic, etc., and the existance of this would completely warp what avenues science would pursue. In most D&D worlds science is really limited to metallurgy.

You just need to understand generically for yourself *why* so you don't have to constantly define individual bits and pieces as they come up. Rare magic or magic recently discovered/returned magic, a la the ebbing and flowing of magic in Shadowrun/Earthdawn is the normal method. In the case of Shadowrun, some magical creatures (Dunkelzahn, for example) were fascinated by the technology created when magic was dead and provided an invisible hand to keep it moving when he woke up again.

Doesn't take much - a prevailing religious belief that magic is to be avoided or whatever.

icefractal
2008-05-09, 05:04 PM
To make the world believable, you need to find justification for science being worthwhile when magic is faster and generally cheaper.
Probably pretty easy in 4E, as any non-combat magic seem relegated to rituals - which seem like vaporware at this point - and it's been hinted that they'll take at least some time and money.

And that money, while not necessarily high by adventurer standards, could be costly enough that most of the populace turns to technology for their non-explosion-related needs.

If anything, you might have to houserule in some low-cost rituals to fill in the "magic" part of "magitech".