PDA

View Full Version : Silly Therkla origin thread

dogmac
2008-05-08, 10:30 PM
Since I haven't seen anyone say it yet.....

It is SO obvious that Therkla is Thog's big sister :smallbiggrin:

Chronos
2008-05-08, 10:33 PM
By virtue of the fact that they're both half-orcs, and clearly, it's outside the realm of possibility that there might be more than one family of half-orcs in the world.

Ganurath
2008-05-08, 10:36 PM
Especially when you consider that Thog is from the North while Therkla is from the South.

DSCrankshaw
2008-05-08, 10:39 PM
All valid points, but stories like OotS like connections, and this one seems like it could work.

FoE
2008-05-08, 10:40 PM
Oh yeah, I totally agree. I mean, surely it's impossible for two or more characters to exist in a piece of fiction without being related somehow, such as being cousins or former college roommates or members of the same lacrosse team while they were growing up. :smalltongue:

Yendor
2008-05-08, 10:42 PM
So obvious that there's only been like a dozen threads claiming the same thing, last time she was in the story. And a dozen more with various misspellings of Therkla.

Ganurath
2008-05-08, 10:43 PM
All valid points, but stories like OotS like connections, and this one seems like it could work.Did you just contradict the Founder of the Therkla Fanclub on something Therkla related?

Jayngfet
2008-05-08, 10:54 PM
No, just ...no. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NoJustNo)

Talyn
2008-05-08, 11:03 PM
I concur, and laud the link to TV Tropes.

Regneva
2008-05-09, 12:15 AM
No no. It has been well established that Therkla is related to Redcloak. Get over it already :smallcool:

Ganurath
2008-05-09, 12:45 AM
No no. It has been well established that Therkla is related to Redcloak. Get over it already :smallcool:This heresy will cease. Now.

Laurentio
2008-05-09, 02:07 AM
That's so sad. See, Therkla mother is the same mother or Thog, sired by the father of Elan and Nale as a revenge, because actually Elan and Nale father is, really, the same father of Therkla, that was the secret lover of the twins' mother. That makes Elan half sister of Therkla, and this is not going to be good in the long story. And as Thog is half brother of Nale and of Therkla, this is a big burden for Thog's and Therkla secret child (because, you know, all character have to be related someway, or some fanboy will lose the brain on it).
Their son, not to be know to the readers, born with such deformities that they decided to let him die, throwing in a magical pit, know for randomly teleport people in time and space.
That child born white skinned (like his two grand-fathers), but short, ugly and mind disturbed. His name is Belkar.

Next time I'll explain how Haley is Ron's sister, grand-mother, second wise and pet-chan.

Laurentio

†Seer†
2008-05-09, 02:13 AM
All thing aside...is it wrong I find her parents adorably cute?

*Holds up an equal-love-opportunities-for-orcs sign*

Remirach
2008-05-09, 02:36 AM

I'll join you on that boat, "wrong" or not. My initial response was an "aww!" Seriously, they were obviously lovebirds who cared about one another and were attracted to each other. Her mother was an Orc, but didn't seem hideous or anything. Maybe they were a little odd, but every couple has their quirks!

And Therkla, even if she is working for that !$%^ Kubota, doesn't even seem all that bad. I seriously hope she's just misguided out of loyalty or something... she's cute and writes poetry, I don't want to hate her!

King of Nowhere
2008-05-09, 04:44 AM

My first tought was "awww, so sweet". I hope it lasted.
And since I value women's personality over beauty, if I find a chaotic good orc with good INT and WIS I could totally go with her.

Uhm... Yesterday I dreamt of V in bikini, and today I just said that it would be ok for me dating an orc? Someone is going to call the neuro for this.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-05-09, 05:10 AM
Yeah! Not all half-orcs are the offspring of rape and violence! Nice to see that there can be interspecies romance from the other races besides those "nose-stuck-up-in-the-air" elves.

verloren
2008-05-09, 07:04 AM

And that is also, SO racist. Just fyi.
It's like saying Roy is SO obviously related to the priest of Freya (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0137.html) because they're both black!
Or Hayley is related to Leon (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0227.html) becasue they're both white with red hair!

It's not at all possible that there is more then one interspecial couple out there?

Roderick_BR
2008-05-09, 07:46 AM
By virtue of the fact that they're both half-orcs, and clearly, it's outside the realm of possibility that there might be more than one family of half-orcs in the world.
But seeing as their parents got along well, I wouldn't doubt the existence of more siblings :smallbiggrin:

Lizard Lord
2008-05-09, 09:53 AM
It is so obvious that Therkla is MitD's second cousin twice removed.

The Extinguisher
2008-05-09, 11:07 AM
I guess this rules out all those "Therkla is Haley's half sister" theories in any case.

silvadel
2008-05-09, 11:37 AM
Lets move my thoughts here...

The way I see it going down is she had a really nice early childhood -- then something bad happened... Kobuta came in with his soldiers etc and slaughtered her family.

She didnt know who was responsible other than soldiers and Kabuta saw her potential and fed her a line driving her down the path to the assassin. Over time he became her (likely abusive) family although her original memories are intact and manifest themselves in things like crushes on Elan who reminds her in some ways of her father.

Souju
2008-05-09, 11:53 AM
I'd imagine that Thog's parents would be a male orc and female human...
but that's just my theory

Blayze
2008-05-09, 12:06 PM
I guess this rules out all those "Therkla is Haley's half sister" theories in any case.

Couldn't that still be true if they had the same father? Or am I missing some vital piece of information?

Corsair
2008-05-09, 12:16 PM
Frankly, I'm more inclined to believe that Therkla is one of Julio Scoundrel's many daughters. It's a pretty good bet, I expect he makes up at least 10% of the 'Male Contribution' on OOTSWorld.

Ganurath
2008-05-09, 12:17 PM
Frankly, I'm more inclined to believe that Therkla is one of Julio Scoundrel's many daughters. It's a pretty good bet, I expect he makes up at least 10% of the 'Male Contribution' on OOTSWorld....

*points at today's comic*

FAIL.

averagejoe
2008-05-09, 12:43 PM
I find this racist. What are you trying to say? That all half orcs look the same to you? (http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/avenueq/everyonesalittlebitracist.htm) Huh? Huh? HUH?

Toad-Killer-Dog
2008-05-09, 12:52 PM

I agree sir!

More love for the orcs I say! ( wait now that I say that out loud it does not sound as innocent as I intended :smallredface: )

Anyway I really liked Therkla's parents. Is it possible that Therkla is still a teenager?

I mean with the crushes and the diary and the "Yuck parental affection equals cooties" going on.

Just a thought, Take care Y'all

Chronos
2008-05-09, 01:30 PM
Couldn't that still be true if they had the same father? Or am I missing some vital piece of information?The fellow in the penultimate panel of today's comic is presumably Therkla's father, and the fellow telling teenaged Haley to clean her room (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0093.html) is presumably Haley's father. Not much resemblence.

Although there is some suspicion that Haley's mother might have green hair (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0193.html).

Blayze
2008-05-09, 01:52 PM
I find this racist. What are you trying to say? That all half orcs look the same to you? (http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/avenueq/everyonesalittlebitracist.htm) Huh? Huh? HUH?

"Brian buddy, where ya been? The term is "demi-celestian"!"

Edit:

Not much resemblence.

There's a simple answer. He's the Doctor.

Newtkeeper
2008-05-09, 03:15 PM
Let's see:

Occam's Razor tells us to assume the simplest explanation. Thus, we can conclude that Therkla is Thog's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.

Wrecan
2008-05-09, 03:26 PM
I don't know about Therkla and Thog, but there was some suggestion that Therkla's dad is the felon that Kubota hired to kill Hinjo. (Or possibly the SHadowdancer hired to kill the King of Nowhere (pic is my avatar) You decide...

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1/Wrecan/TherklasDad.jpg

Gamerlord
2008-05-09, 06:21 PM

:smallfurious: I made a thread about this theory...

Jayngfet
2008-05-10, 02:43 PM
'nother trope (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FantasticRacism) that applies here

Nikolai_II
2008-05-11, 01:41 PM
:smallfurious: I made a thread about this theory...

Hopefully your thread said "Not" somewhere in it :smalltongue: