PDA

View Full Version : Does anything in particular in OotS remind you of your players?

Sequinox
2008-05-09, 09:13 AM
The title of the thread should be self explanatory.

Anyway, yes, to me anyway. There an oots right here that reminds me completely. Any time theres any long. drawn out bit with lots of dialog or no fighting, or even a story important event, my players start yawning. (well theres one that loves those moments, but hes the exception, not the rule.)

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0416.html

Anterean
2008-05-09, 10:02 AM
Belkar reminds of guy I used to "DM" for, or well rather 90% of his characters (halflings or not)

Nad
2008-05-09, 01:40 PM
My players now have a habit of saying "Anyone have anything else to do? Nope. Ok, well we don't have anything else to do today!" to let me know they're ready for the next part of the plot.

One even did it when he was the only one alive, it was pretty funny when he role played asking the dead PC next to him that :smallbiggrin:

Calinero
2008-05-09, 02:10 PM
One of my friends spent about five minutes throwing bricks that did about 1D4 damage at his own teammate. Reminded me a bit of Belkar.

Pronounceable
2008-05-09, 03:05 PM
V's "sleep spell" from way back was quite a lot like a player of mine.

dragongirl13
2008-05-09, 06:41 PM
The dysfunctional nature of the party fits perfectly with my gaming group. We also make fun of stereotypes and stuff... ah, I still crack up when I think about my drow character who was the leader of the I Hate Spiders club as a teenager and the blonde girl who was a wizard with an Int of 20.

Lupy
2008-05-09, 09:14 PM
I have a player who's only joy is tormenting the other characters, but his bluff is so high the characters don't know it's him, and he got the fight to stop the pally from killing him the time someone made their will save. The players think it's hilarious (You fall to the ground covered in dire roaches, you notice Throar holding a box labeled "Demonic Insects Inc." "The rougue did it!" "Tia that's it!" *Chaos insues as players laugh hysterically*)

The 1HP Wonder
2008-05-28, 03:07 AM
My group seems to channel Belkar a lot when making Spot or Perception checks. So much so that it's become a running gag that started when one of us was playing a dwarf who wielded two axes. When he failed a Spot check, he said, "I've got two axes." Now, no matter what system, setting, or genre we're playing, "The dwarf has two axes" is our standard way of saying "I don't notice anything smaller than the planet I'm standing on."

- 1HP

DigoDragon
2008-05-29, 07:49 AM
I've had a player that acted a lot like Miko in terms of assumptions and drawing conclusions. Must of had at least 15 ranks in his Jump skill to make leaps of logic like Miko.

Oh, and thinking about it, my wife tends to channel the bravery and resolve of Roy may times, leading the charge into battle. Hasn't been blasted off the back of an undead dragon yet...

Beholder1995
2008-05-29, 07:55 AM
I'm currently DMing for a Half-Orc barbarian that is practically Thog straight out of the comic. He is utterly loyal to our ranger, who has repeatedly sent him into ridiculous danger and he has complied easily. Although, really, do you know any Half-Orc barbarians who aren't exactly like Thog?

There is a difference, though. My player's barbarian actually has an intelligence score of 13. He merely chooses to ignore it.

PaladinFreak
2008-05-29, 04:23 PM
My little brother plays like Elan. Come to think of it, when I first started playing, so did I!

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-05-29, 06:10 PM
Miko reminds me of a player I used to have, he was Lawful Ego. :smalltongue:

Forealms
2008-05-29, 07:09 PM
When I felt particularly angry at my gaming group I gathered a few rookie gamers and had them all become rogue halflings. We joined the group and started tearing away at them from the inside. Once they realized it was us causing all the problems our characters ran into a series of unfortunate events occur. One stepped on a nail and became permanently paralyzed, two more were eaten by rats while they weer asleep and I (being the ringleader) was "accidentally" pushed into a pool of green slime that consumed everything but, and I quote the DM, "your bones".

The entire group enjoyed the executions as much as the sabotage. (They weren't really enjoying the plot anyway.)

Pie Guy
2008-05-29, 07:39 PM
My group has Belkar (But were safe; No pvp home rule) although to hurt the other group members once, he lit a water bed on fire:smallconfused:. But we survived. I think.

Wish
2008-05-29, 08:11 PM
yup.

Generally I recall much sillyness in our games , and Oots (yay I get to abbreviate ! and know what it means ! ) sorry and Oots is a good reflection of the FACT that not all was pure fantasy.

mockingbyrd7
2008-05-29, 08:33 PM
The most insane player in my current group started out with Charivar, who was similar to Belkar in that he was an evil psychopath with next to no wisdom that loved stabbing things and pissing off the paladin.
My father plays a paladin with some striking similarities in personality to Roy.
After our equally insane drow wizard coup-de-grace'd a dying Charivar, the player rolled up a Miko-ish "Paladin" of Cuthbert who thinks with his hammer and it's VERY debatable whether or not he's really good.
The insane drow decided to roll up a new character, and now has a tiefling barbarian that's sort of like a Chaotic Neutral Belkar.
Our dwarven cleric is Durkon incarnate, but perhaps not quite as Lawful or Good. :smallbiggrin:
My character's sort of like Elan + Haley, a somewhat Chaotic Good ranger that decimates things with a bow.
We also have a farmer mage who insisted on starting at level 1 under AD&D rules while we were all level 4. He's also got 3 strength, so before you say "at least he can use a sling", nope. He can't.

My current group is a blast. :smallsmile:

Roderick_BR
2008-05-30, 06:41 AM
Oh, and thinking about it, my wife tends to channel the bravery and resolve of Roy may times, leading the charge into battle. Hasn't been blasted off the back of an undead dragon yet...
Don't forget to get her a feather fall ring... Just in case.

My party acts like Belkar at times ("Can I kill things? Then I'll tag along"), other than that, they don't fit any stereotype in there. Well I have a friend that actually sleeps during speechs, but that's because he used to play videogames all night long.

Funny thing, while my friends are the kind that doesn't enjoy playing paladins, they often portray them as O-Chul, instead of either Miko or Hinjo when DM'ing. Not righteous, or politically correct, just trying to look bad-ass, even when having their behinds handed to them.

bilbobagginses
2008-06-02, 03:21 PM
Bob of the North was my favorite halfling thief/psionicist. Back during second edition, I really enjoyed wearing my enemies heads as hats, and then running around screaming that I was whatever race the deceased was. I was so happy to see Belkar actually do it in the comics.

And for those of you who remember the 3rd edition introduction, there was a rule that said "No Bobs", I was a sad panda

Paragon Badger
2008-06-02, 03:38 PM
I was just playing a game the other day as a paladin with two chaotic evil characters (a halfling rogue and a mega charisma bard). I was outside an inn, tending my horse as the bard stabbed the innkeeper. Thankfully, my horse simultaneously neighed as he screamed. Then the rogue killed his wife, who picked up a club for vengeance. Hearing this scream, I donned my armor and lance- charging the door only to find... a summoned rat swarm eating their bodies. Unfortunately for the chaotic evils, rats don't eat bones. :smallwink:

I attacked it, thinking the little beasts to be some nefarious servants of evil... while everyone else went to sleep. :smallsmile:

As I was sleeping, the rogue mumbled something about slitting my horse's throat. <_< (The horse was actually doing alot more damage than I was...)

Later, I helped kill a group of badgers that surrounded us. Druids ambushed us soon after, demanding our lives. A diplomacy check spared myself and my horse, but the druids attacked my companions. They didn't ping on my detect-evil (..The rogue and bard were out of my peripheral vision. >_<) so I just stood there and prayed for the safety of my companions.

As the druids fell, I gave them first aid- saving one (despite my companion's attempts to coup de grace them) but eliciting the rogue and bard's wrath. A pitched battle ensued between myself, my horse, and the rogue and bard. The other members, a sorceress was stuck in vines, and the fighter just sat down with her 1 HP and watched.

Eventually, the rogue and bard ran away into the foresty thickets, where I'd be instantly ambushed without my trusty horse for protection- so I went along my merry way, taking the fighter with me after I detect evil'd the remaining two party members. The sorceress was left in the vines for another 4 minutes, presumably. :smalltongue:

It was a great game. :smallbiggrin:

Oh...Belkar, if you coulden't guess. :smallwink:

TorJin
2008-06-02, 03:51 PM
Well, this is kind of off topic, but I figure it fits in here anway.

My one buddy rolled a fighter, with 16 strength and 18 intelligence. He made it a half-orc, and RPed it like it was Beast from X-men.

Isolder74
2008-06-02, 04:42 PM
I'm not sure who this would be but I have one in a Star Wars game we are playing that always questions whenever I the DM say that something happened. One time they had left their cars out in the street and went into the canteena and after failing a few spot checks one of them finally notices that their speeders, but one are being stolen(they actually notice them trying to break into that one). To make a long story short he start asking how they beat his security roll when he locked up the speeders. I simply pointed out that they did and to worry about stopping them from making off with speeder 3(which the others are acting to stop) rather then worrying about the two already run off with.

That's not the first time either. One time he rolled so bad when firing on a guy grappling with one of his buddies that I decided that he hit his friend(I used a die roll) and he was not happy about that asking how that was possible.

Liwen
2008-06-02, 05:27 PM
My current group a a pretty insane mix. Pretty much everyone shares Haley's greed, the babarian eats ANY consumable monsters I throw at them to save some rations, I also have a psionic wilder that is part time psychotic pyroman, a world ruler wanna be druid and a chaotic good rogue klepto prostitute in love with the NPC princess of a kingdom they just saved from complete destruction. The last member of the party is gnome illusionist that reminds me of Roy's dad because he uses illusions a lot and often point the fact that a melee metal weapon can't possibly hurt a fire or air elemental or even a golem and that only mages are effective in all situation. Can't wait to make him fall in a antimagic pit filled with dragons.

by the way, I love this group. They are weird, but amusing at times and they have very specific goals that help me plan elaborate intresting sub-plots. We spent half our seissons laughing.