PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerers Familiar Casting Spells?

Reaper_Monkey
2008-05-09, 11:26 AM
I'm currently trying to balance the ability of having a sorcerers familiar do the casting instead of the sorcerer. The idea is that the familiar would have to be issued a command (as a standard action) in order to cast the spell (thus eliminating the power gain of twice the castings at once). The familiar wouldn't give an benefits to the casting like normal (as just a simple balancing feature), and must be next to/touching the caster while they are casting (as so to eliminate the ability to cast from odd areas which are harder to dodge, or just from an area inaccessible by the caster).

This may seem quite pointless, but its for a character that is gesalted as a sorcerer/ barbarian (the player handbook II variant that makes the rage activate while their HP is under 5 times the barbarian level and cannot be stopped until their HP is restored over it). The alternative version of the rage still has the normal penalties for raging however (cannot use concentration checks/cast magic etc) so while the player is getting injured they cant use their magic.

Hence the familiar. The thing I'm trying to balance however is this; What balances the ability to cast while in rage (other than the standard action cost), and what sort of arcane failure should apply to the familiar (considering its not wearing the armour) and if none - what sort of thing should be imposed to balance that aswell.

Thanks for any ideas you can throw my way =)

FinalJustice
2008-05-09, 11:42 AM
Check Rage Mage on CArc, it may work for you. Although it's debatable whether it classifies as a dual-progression PrC, your DM might be ok with it, since it's nothing near using MT or Arcane Hierophant on one side of the gestalt.

Reaper_Monkey
2008-05-09, 12:06 PM
Well it seems to be quite good, although the prerequisites means its cant be picked up first level (as no prestige should be) which still leaves the problem of what to put on the other side of the gesalt while leveling up to that point, and if it is going to be a magic user (as will be wanted) how do they cast whist in rage? =S

Smiley_
2008-05-09, 12:40 PM
Rage Mage is in CWar, not CArc. Anyway, they get rage casting as an ability at first level allowing them to spontaneously cast spells when in rage.

Gaiwecoor
2008-05-09, 03:03 PM
Class- and ability-based restrictions (such as arcane spell failure chance and a druid’s prohibition on wearing metal armor) apply normally to a gestalt character, no matter what the other class is.

I would advise against making a familiar-casting ability. The whole point of gestalt is to give the limitations, as well as the benefits, of both classes to the character. Allowing the familiar to cast would simply remove the limitations. What limitations would it avoid?

Casting while raging
Casting while grappled
Arcane spell failure

I'm sure there's more, but those are the ones that immediately spring to mind. My recommendation: have the character just deal with not being able to cast while raging until they're able to take Rage Mage. Honestly, having the two parts to the personality (barbarian // sorcerer) can be emphasized and role-played very well in this situation. If the sorcerer takes too much damage, the rage machine shines through!

Good luck!

Reaper_Monkey
2008-05-09, 04:22 PM
I agree against removing limitations when they are the balancing factor, however the character really wants to multi magic and heavy-hitting/undying, and the alternative rules for the barbarian allows alot of that. However it means they will be in a constant rage whilst on low HP (fractionally low however on average, around 2/3 and less).

The Rage Mage is good, but the ability to cast spells only applies if they are in a spell rage, and only a spell rage, of which they can only do a very limited number of times. Therefore it does not solve the problem of how to cast anything while they are in their indefinite rage from low HP.

I know its removing a lot of restrictions they could have allowing the familiar to cast for them, and I'll have to think up a way to also stop them from casting whilst grappled (the way in which they've fluffed their familiar is very similar to the dark materials trilogy has got their souls, so it should be just as easy as saying you cant).

What I need however is something equally as limiting as not casting while raged, but just.. well not that... as that will overly cripple them as they are intending to be in rage as long as they can be (and still be safe).

Gaiwecoor
2008-05-09, 06:40 PM
... however the character really wants to multi magic and heavy-hitting/undying, and the alternative rules for the barbarian allows alot of that. ...

The Rage Mage is good, but the ability to cast spells only applies if they are in a spell rage, and only a spell rage, of which they can only do a very limited number of times. Therefore it does not solve the problem of how to cast anything while they are in their indefinite rage from low HP.

What I need however is something equally as limiting as not casting while raged, but just.. well not that... as that will overly cripple them as they are intending to be in rage as long as they can be (and still be safe).

So, it seems that the issue is really in the /day uses of Spell Rage. (I admit, I don't own C. War, and am not entirely familiar with Rage Mage, but I think I get the gist of it. This is based on my limited knowledge.) Using the PHB2 alternate for barbarian rage is a nice modification, I agree; but it kind of messes up progressions for rage variants, like Spell Rage.

Rage (original concept) is only meant to be used a certain number of times/day. Other variants (Spell Rage) are based on the same concept. This is where the homebrew kicks in. The PHB2 alternate changes this to be used in a ratio of your HP. Rather than concocting some scheme allowing the familiar to cast, just apply that same concept to Spell Rage. Regular Rage is active as long as you're below 5xBarbarian Levels HP. Say Spell Rage is active as long as you're below ... oh, say 3-4xRage Mage Levels HP (benefits of Spell Rage and Barbarian Rage not stacking). This continues the concept of a difference between your Barbarian Rage and your Spell Rage, yet still allows the "I rage and blast stuff" concept.

Of course, that isn't very refined. I'd still pick that over the problematic "familiar casts spells" patch, though. Let's face it: barbarians aren't supposed to cast while raging. It just doesn't really fit the concept. The Rage Mage class was created to fill this gap. It allows some casting while raging. This isn't meant to be an ability for first to fifth level characters. Let the character wait it out. There are plenty of abilities that players want that simply aren't available until later. They'll have their chance to shine.