PDA

View Full Version : Orcs and Religion (just a passing comment...)

FrankNorman
2008-05-09, 12:16 PM
I know panel five of comic number 555 is only meant to be another mindless and tactless stab at religious faith, but: given these are ORCS... ...I'd say they NEED a third party opinion on morality.

I know what you mean about the "mindless stab at religious faith" (we see plenty of that around nowadays on the Net) but I still laughed when I read it.
What I think is funny, you see, is the idea that the two alternatives are actually any different.
Banjo is a made-up god. Banjo's will is literally whatever each Banjo-worshipper chooses to believe it is, at any given moment. (Recall "Belkar as Orthodox Banjo-ist, Haley as Reformed Banjo-ist"?)
How is that any different from deciding what is right and wrong for yourself?

Rather convenient for the Orcs, to be followers of a god whose commands always just happen to be exactly what they themselves wanted to do anyway...

snafu
2008-05-10, 05:26 AM
In more than a few fantasy universes, if enough people believe in a god then that god becomes real anyway. Which leads to the prospect of an Orc tribe bringing slaughter and pillage and swordpoint evangelism to neighbouring islands in the name of the great Clown God... whose clerics, terrible and daunting with their grotesque makeup and humourless grins, laugh mirthlessly as they lead the holy warriors of Banjo against the infidel.

Yeah. I think we're safer if they all stay with the nonexistent gods, thanks.

†Seer†
2008-05-10, 01:10 PM
Which leads to the prospect of an Orc tribe bringing slaughter and pillage and swordpoint evangelism to neighbouring islands in the name of the great Clown God... whose clerics, terrible and daunting with their grotesque makeup and humourless grins, laugh mirthlessly as they lead the holy warriors of Banjo against the infidel.

*raises hand* I want to be a holy warrior of Banjo! *runs to get his sword and shield*

FrostXian
2008-05-10, 02:15 PM
*raises hand* I want to be a holy warrior of Banjo! *runs to get his sword and shield*

Don't forget your make-up..

Jayngfet
2008-05-10, 02:17 PM
Don't forget your make-up..

And you're holy blue dress and pointy hat.

Kato
2008-05-10, 02:49 PM
Not that I don't enjoy a discussion about the sense in religion and the depth of interpreting what a puppet wants you to believe (????) but... a similar thread (I think the one the beginning quote was taken from) was closed, because this is NOT the place to discuss religions... Just to warn you, cause I'm pretty sure this thread will drift in the wrong direction and get closed...

Anyway, since it's still open: Who wants to be Banjo's Miko?

Roland St. Jude
2008-05-10, 08:49 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Don't restart locked threads.