PDA

View Full Version : LA vs CR? Im confusing myself

Zerzix
2008-05-09, 05:28 PM
I was making a high lvl character and wanted to add a few templates to it, but some only show CR and some show CR and LA and some only show LA.

As example, if I make a Dire Ape with the "Monster of Legend Template" what Level Adjustment should I assign? I was only able to find a Challenge Rating for those templates and not a Level Adjustment. Do I sub CR in place of LA?

Lets say for example I am making a 20th lvl gest and its 20 fighter//awakened dire ape "monster of legend" how many levels does MoL take up?

sonofzeal
2008-05-09, 05:38 PM
If it doesn't have an LA, then it's either {a} old 3.0 content, or {b} never intended to be even remotely playable. Only things intended to be potentially used by PCs are given LA. Does that clear up your confusion?

Zerzix
2008-05-09, 05:41 PM
Ah, gotcha. So? What if I REALLY want to use it? Ask DM for a LA of it? Is there an equivalence of LA to CR?

And in some case the template has both...would I just use the LA or lets say its LA +5 and CR +2. Would that be 7 lvls of my 20 or just 5?

Frosty
2008-05-09, 05:45 PM
You should ask to play a Paragon Giant Grab of Legend. Maybe Pseudonatural as well.

tyckspoon
2008-05-09, 05:48 PM
And in some case the template has both...would I just use the LA or lets say its LA +5 and CR +2. Would that be 7 lvls of my 20 or just 5?

LA is used when building a PC. CR adjustments are used when designing beings to be encountered as challenges. The two have little to nothing to do with each other; use whichever applies for what you're doing and ignore the other one.

sonofzeal
2008-05-09, 05:58 PM
Ah, gotcha. So? What if I REALLY want to use it? Ask DM for a LA of it? Is there an equivalence of LA to CR?
You'll need to run it past the DM. As tyck pointed out, the two have very little to do with eachother, and while it might not be unreasonable to use CR boost in this case, that's still a significant departure from the rules of the game and requires serious DM intervention. And don't be surprised if he bumps it up a peg or two as well; LA is usually higher than CR, for various reasons.

Kizara
2008-05-09, 06:09 PM
I was making a high lvl character and wanted to add a few templates to it, but some only show CR and some show CR and LA and some only show LA.

As example, if I make a Dire Ape with the "Monster of Legend Template" what Level Adjustment should I assign? I was only able to find a Challenge Rating for those templates and not a Level Adjustment. Do I sub CR in place of LA?

Lets say for example I am making a 20th lvl gest and its 20 fighter//awakened dire ape "monster of legend" how many levels does MoL take up?

The problem is that those are MM2 material, which is 3.0. Not that 3.0 didn't have LA, it just didn't make a point of including it for things in the MMs. I suggest you look at Savage Species for more/better information.

But yes, CR isn't LA, the two are only loosely related. In a way similar to how caster level and spell level are lossely related.

senrath
2008-05-09, 06:15 PM
The problem is that those are MM2 material, which is 3.0. Not that 3.0 didn't have LA, it just didn't make a point of including it for things in the MMs. I suggest you look at Savage Species for more/better information.

But yes, CR isn't LA, the two are only loosely related. In a way similar to how caster level and spell level are lossely related.

MM2 has an official update somewhere on Wizard's site, iirc.